• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terra Battle (Sakaguchi/Mistwalker/Mobile) hits 2M downloads, console version get!

Falk

that puzzling face
TB_BN_2mil.jpg

While it may be old news, Terra Battle's 'downloadstarter' campaign promised a console version on the 2 million download mark. While many details are still up in the air, this momentous milestone was passed today.

http://www.terra-battle.com/en/news/2015/04/2mdl.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrHsmOBuw7o

Of interesting note is how The Last Story had a continuation within Terra Battle's narrative. More than seeing that universe function in a pseudo-board-game environment though was perhaps a glimpse in the other direction at how Terra Battle itself could translate off its touch-based/grid-based framework into JRPG proper.

Or would people like to see more of the same?

If old you can pretty much just piss off. Jesus Christ people take the effort to post new threads on NeoGAF to keep the community informed and all you do is bitch that someone else was a little faster

Downloadstarter me if old

Tidd

I just copy this post from the OT!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/5/8157971/terra-battle-console

"I'll be open. I have absolutely no plans," says Sakaguchi. "[Initially], we weren't even thinking that two million was going to be in reach. We obviously put that Download Starter campaign milestone together, and it has been our final goal, but we weren't certain that we would hit that number. But we're now approaching that very quickly — we're past 1.7, and hopefully 1.8 within X amount of days. When we land at 2 million, I don't know what were going to do. But I can tell you that if you have any ideas, now is the time to submit them."

Not even Sakaguchi knows. :lol

and YEAH we finally hit it. I really love the character design and hope it will be great :)

Gambit

Of interesting note is how The Last Story had a continuation within Terra Battle's narrative. More than seeing that universe function in a pseudo-board-game environment though was perhaps a glimpse in the other direction at how Terra Battle itself could translate off its touch-based/grid-based framework into JRPG proper.

I am kinda curious about that. Does it actually continue the story after The Last Story? I thought it would just be cameo appearances without significance.

I've only played about two hours of Terra Battle but actually quite liked it. Maybe I'll get back to it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Cool news, considering the world that they built based off the character art looks fantastic. Would most def be excited for a console version.

I'm not sure how TB's gameplay will translate to consoles without a touchscreen, unless they mean the 3DS or Vita. The very core of it is sliding to get your units in position as fast as possible, and with a controller you would lose a lot of precision and reaction time...

wrowa

Will be interesting to see what they'll end up doing. Terra Battle is great fun, but I can't see the gameplay of Terra Battle working on consoles as it is right now (well, it would work on the Wii U, but even then it'd be pretty much GamePad only, which kind of defeats the purpose of a console release).

I can't quite shake the feeling that Mistwalker doesn't actually have the resources to make this happen without external funds, either.

Spwn

Would be nice if they released it on handhelds. I wouldn't mind them actually releasing the game in Northern European countries as well so I could actually play it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've dabbled in it on iOS. Wouldn't mind having it on PS4.

Falk

that puzzling face
If it ends up something like, say, Agarest which is pretty much turn-based JRPG with a lot of positioning shenanigans for combos (essentially what TB does for chains) but without the cringeworthy story/pacing I'd totally bite.

Platforms would be an interesting thing to look at too. I mean the no-brainer for a close-to-1:1 transposition would be the Wii U using the touchscreen to do what the mobile version does now.

A traditional JRPG experience on the other hand would likely be a lot more successful on PS4, Xenoblade X aside.

Visceir

Here is an older article that might shed some more light into what to expect:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/5/6107893/terra-battle-console-version-port
"The basic message is that it's not going to be a port," Sakaguchi said. "We're trying to get a grid and implement that in a console game ... The idea is very fluid right now. You're going to be able to tell it's from Terra Battle."

"We have a plethora of characters that you can work with — 165 characters — and one main concept: align your team on the same line," Sakaguchi said of the mobile game. "That's one of the concepts you work with. So [we're] going to get the characters all in 3D. It's definitely not going to be a port."

kiyoaki

I'm looking forward to this, especially if they get Uematsu to do the soundtrack again. Terra Battle is the most fun F2P game I've played, and any small step Mistwalker takes back towards making traditional console games is a reason to celebrate.

Phatcorns

How is the story in terra battle? If it's any good that might push me to actually play. I love everything about the game (music, graphics, style) but just didn't like the gameplay enough to even see if there was a story. If there is I might give it another shot. Especially considering it's still on my phone haha

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I am kinda curious about that. Does it actually continue the story after The Last Story? I thought it would just be cameo appearances without significance.

I've only played about two hours of Terra Battle but actually quite liked it. Maybe I'll get back to it.
It very much continues the story from the game and even has 4 different endings depending on your performance.

Fbh

Wait, so are they going to take the world and characters and create a full RPG? Like The Last Story/Lost Odyssey style?

Or is it basically going to be a port of the mobile game to consoles as a $10 downlodable game or something?

I'd be nice to try it out once Mistwaker decides the rest of the world can also play it

duckroll

Whatever "console version" they are going to be making will probably take at least 1.5 to 2 years of development if it's a proper game. I don't think people should get too excited to play it anytime soon. Mistwalker's priority right now is to continue developing Terra Battle as it is, because they still have tons of content coming up. They're pretty slow with development even on mobile, so I don't expect that making a retail game will be much faster, no matter who they partner with. :p

Can't wait for the next story campaign though. Should be coming really soon! The video celebrating 2 million downloads even teases Chapter 31 and Metal Zone 6. :D

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Do I need to go back to this game GAF? I really liked it at first, but thr grind got to me around idk early 20s chapter wise?

Damn with every milestone reached duckroll's power grows stronger! :(

But honestly if this was on Vita or console I'd be more willing to play it long term. As it stands I enjoyed the game for what it was but still hate playing games on my phone.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever "console version" they are going to be making will probably take at least 1.5 to 2 years of development if it's a proper game. I don't think people should get too excited to play it anytime soon. Mistwalker's priority right now is to continue developing Terra Battle as it is, because they still have tons of content coming up. They're pretty slow with development even on mobile, so I don't expect that making a retail game will be much faster, no matter who they partner with. :p

Can't wait for the next story campaign though. Should be coming really soon! The video celebrating 2 million downloads even teases Chapter 31 and Metal Zone 6. :D

Who do you think they would partner with?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine Square Enix. "Sakaguchi game backed by Square Enix"

Holy shit could you imagine how fast GAF would break down.

Eh, I really don't see it.

I don't even think Square is capable of developing a full RPG while working on KH and FF.

Ridley327

Imagine Square Enix. "Sakaguchi game backed by Square Enix"

Holy shit could you imagine how fast GAF would break down.

The only thing that would get a bigger rise out of people is Capcom outsourcing DMC5 to Platinum. Now there's a bonfire that would rage on for weeks!

Perhaps duckroll can help out with this one, as I assume that Mistwalker owns the IP for The Last Story, but would Nintendo be able to raise any objections if they were to bring that content to the console version on non-Nintendo platforms?

I hope people are not thinking this will spawn a AAA title to the levels of FF/KH/XCX...

Either way, good job Sakaguchi, I'll totally be playing this when it comes out.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
You mean besides Star Ocean 5?

Am I missing a joke?

Star Ocean is developed by tri-ace.

I hope people are not thinking this will spawn a AAA title to the levels of FF/KH/XCX...

Either way, good job Sakaguchi, I'll totally be playing this when it comes out.

Yeah, definitely.

I could see a digital episodic game or an RPG more similar to The Last Story.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Do I need to go back to this game GAF? I really liked it at first, but thr grind got to me around idk early 20s chapter wise?

I didn't like it after a few weeks, and there are other games that do it better. Still, happy for their success!

Falk

that puzzling face
Terra Battle by Compile Heart

hey they've been churning JRPGs out the wazoo obviously they can get it done

duckroll

I think it's a really, really good game. As far as being a SRPG goes, it's better than Mistwalker's previous attempts (the Blue Dragon RTS on DS and ASH) with a huge variety of characters and skills which are actually interesting. The grind at around ch18-20 is pretty bad if you've been using a single party throughout and don't have a lot of options to swap around, but I found that once you work around that and start building secondary parties to account for different situations, the rest of the game is really satisfying. The last few chapters in particular were a ton of fun when I had enough high level characters to make tactical decisions on what sort of party to use in each battle. Especially against the bosses.

The Co-op quest battles and the current event quest for The Last Story also indicate that Mistwalker is pretty great at making new content for the game which is exciting to play and challenging to boot. I'm really excited for the second story campaign and the other bonus quests they've been designing post-release.

Vena

I think it's a really, really good game. As far as being a SRPG goes, it's better than Mistwalker's previous attempts (the Blue Dragon RTS on DS and ASH) with a huge variety of characters and skills which are actually interesting. The grind at around ch18-20 is pretty bad if you've been using a single party throughout and don't have a lot of options to swap around, but I found that once you work around that and start building secondary parties to account for different situations, the rest of the game is really satisfying. The last few chapters in particular were a ton of fun when I had enough high level characters to make tactical decisions on what sort of party to use in each battle. Especially against the bosses.

The Co-op quest battles and the current event quest for The Last Story also indicate that Mistwalker is pretty great at making new content for the game which is exciting to play and challenging to boot. I'm really excited for the second story campaign and the other bonus quests they've been designing post-release.

Did you ever get past the chapter you (and seemingly everyone else ever) were stuck on?

My biggest complaint against the game is the RNG on the heroes (and their terrible balance), which can lead to next-to-impossible level scenarios that requires you to farm for Levitate or some otherwise over-level to survive some of the boss encounters. (And now the Z-tier has made the balance even more dumb.)

anaron

happy someone made a thread, let's go matsuno/console version!!!

eta: hey OP do you think you could add all the download starter achievements for people to see what's coming? I think it a lot of folks aren't aware of all the cool stuff

duckroll

Did you ever get past the chapter you (and seemingly everyone else ever) were stuck on?

My biggest complaint against the game is the RNG on the heroes (and their terrible balance), which can lead to next-to-impossible level scenarios that requires you to farm for Levitate or some otherwise over-level to survive some of the boss encounters.

I beat the game... so yes? :p

I don't really think the RNG is a huge barrier in most cases. Ch18 is an extreme example, but people have beaten it without a single character with Levitate (high HP, lots of quick diagonal movement). There are certainly battles which can be much more annoying if you just happen to not have a single character who can cure a certain status for example, but I think the skill spread across characters is such that realistically the majority of players will have parties with enough useful characters. And even without a ton of super great characters, the skill factor can balance stuff out. Positioning and speed can make up for a lot.

Vena

I beat the game... so yes? :p

Oh good to hear! :p Last time, I remember you mentioning being stuck somewhere near the end.

Or perhaps my memory has failed.

I don't really think the RNG is a huge barrier in most cases. Ch18 is an extreme example, but people have beaten it without a single character with Levitate (high HP, lots of quick diagonal movement). There are certainly battles which can be much more annoying if you just happen to not have a single character who can cure a certain status for example, but I think the skill spread across characters is such that realistically the majority of players will have parties with enough useful characters. And even without a ton of super great characters, the skill factor can balance stuff out. Positioning and speed can make up for a lot.

Well, as I said, you can get around it by simply grinding up the levels (for the HP and damage to basically attrition it out) but I'd have absolutely dreaded doing certain scenarios/bosses with a squad of, say, all B-tier heroes. This is what I mean, I don't mean the game becomes impossible its just becomes unfun or a chore to deal with a crapshoot scenario where, had luck ordained it or had I spent enough $$$ on PoF, I could have easy-mode the whole fight with Levitate (Party) for example.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
How many of those were people deleting and rerolling for SS characters?

I'll play it again on console but the controls will be an uphill batlle. Could see it working well with a mouse.

Top Bottom