• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror attack kills 12 at Paris newspaper - 4 wounded, gunmen identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Are there any cases when armed civilians stopped a shooting? I can't recall ever hearing that. Doesn't mean it didn't happen obviously.

Front page of an Algerian newspaper:

B6yDIFqIEAATCb0.jpg

Quoted so more people see it, and we can get less of the "lack of Muslim condemnation" bashing...oh who am I kidding.

When does the civilized world as a whole get fed up with Islam and just level any country associated this stupid religion?
Seeing as Pakistan has nukes and armies like Turkey are comparable to Western ones, good luck hahahaaha.

Raist

Banned
A BFMTV guest said the authorities would never waste RAID troops (or the GIGN) on stakeouts/collecting clues. They only intervene in places where the target's presence has been confirmed.

On the other hand the founder of the GIGN said that these are "just in case" measures.
They're not investigating the house of some random thief. It's a place where people with access to heavy weaponry might be.
Seems like it's over anyway.

2San

When does the civilized world as a whole get fed up with Islam and just level any country associated this stupid religion?
Well do I have I good news for you. It's mostly Muslim Civilians that are dying because of terrorist attacks and then you have the western world having wars and drone attacks killing more civilians.

I guess these Muslims aren't dying fast enough for you huh.

Anjelus_

GTFO with this. The three countries most associated with Muslim with the highest populations of Muslim citizens are Indonesia, India, and Pakistan. Are those the countries you meant? Grow up and read a book.

Personally, I think now is precisely the right time to question the French gun laws and find nothing wrong with what he says... :/

Are you attempting to imply that a group of cartoonists armed with the smallest of small arms and minimal (if any) training would have been prepared for or capable of defending themselves against an organized, tactical assault from men in body armor wielding automatic weapons?

As a proud CCW-carrying, red-blooded 'Murican, why don't you have a fucking seat over here.

Do you honestly blame them for not wanting to risk the lives of their staff? I wouldn't want to make that call, no matter how much I might value free speech.

But it's absurd and dangerous to treat these cartoons and these headlines as if they are some kind of magical black speech from Tolkien that cannot be uttered for fear of alerting Sauron. That is stooping to the level of how this very very small minority of violent extremists view these cartoons. By making such a big deal about not depicting the images they are making the terrorists case that there is something about the imagery so terrible that it cannot be shown to the public.

stufte

Yes, the mass murder of a billion people will solve all our problems.

I'd be all for the culling of the herd (across all countries and religions/non religion) if it could be done selectively to eliminate those who only wish to do harm to others. But yah, that's not not really possible.

Kabouter

Please don't derail this thread into a discussion about private ownership of firearms. If you want to discuss the subject, please do so in a separate thread specifically about that subject.

chadskin

A BFMTV guest said the authorities would never waste RAID troops (or the GIGN) on stakeouts/collecting clues. They only intervene in places where the target's presence has been confirmed.

RAID may be a precautionary move. If these are the apartments of the suspects they probably don't know what the situation is like inside. Would be careless to just blast the doors open and storm the apartments with a bunch of local cops. Better safe than sorry would be my motto in these situations.

But I guess no one in the press really knows what's going on.

I think NeoGAF mods ban people way too easily (having been banned quite a lot of times myself) but I can't see any context in which this comment might be appropriate. And if it was irony, you should have made it clearer that it was.

Anjelus_

Gah. I don't want to have a gun discussion right now. I don't want to derail the thread. But as someone that has experience with guns.... I think it's a silly concept that if everyone had guns, then these incidents would stop. Most people would not know how to react if they were staring down a gunman. Even trained professional like the police, don't always act in the best possible way. Expecting regular citizens who don't interact with violence most of their lives, to be able to use their gun effectively (not to mention, not shoot anyone else)...is really just a stupid notion.

It just is. As an American, I do get wanting the right to defend your home. Having that right to have a weapon. Again, don't want to get into that discussion. But yeah. I really don't like it when we try to look at tragedies with "what ifs". Like, if everyone had guns, how would this event have changed. I feel it's disingenuous.

People are just morons who don't know what they're talking about and wouldn't know a real weapon from a squirt gun. Pay them no mind and let's not derail the thread.

Reuenthal

Banned
Any journalist saying that they are not showing them because it would be insensitive and offensive are pieces of shit and a joke of a journalist. They should either admit that they are scared or show them. And it should really be the later.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Someone who kills people over a cartoon, is the kind of person who kills people for no reason at all.

These people also kill other Muslims everyday. Religion has nothing to do with this no matter how much they want to shout it to others.

Mononoke

Banned
People are just morons who don't know what they're talking about and wouldn't know a real weapon from a squirt gun. Pay them no mind and let's not derail the thread.

I edited my post. Simply because, I don't want to derail this thread. And a mod has stepped in, and told us to not talk about private gun ownership. And I agree with him. That said, I agree with you.

Anyways, we should get the discussion back to the events. My only point I was really trying to get at is, I don't like it when we look at tragic events and do "what ifs". I think it's not helpful and it's disingenuous.

Yeah IMO all media should be blasting the "we're not afraid" picture of Paris and plastering their front pages with caricatures of Muhammad.

The 3 suspect are on a nationwide wanted list (avis de recherche national) thé Raid is no longer in Reims only the scientific police searching for evidence.

Source: Itélé

Arcteryx

Twitterspehere is saying there is another raid going down in #CharlevilleMezieres and that the media is being held back this time.

Someone who kills people over a cartoon, is the kind of person who kills people for no reason at all.

These people also kill other Muslims everyday. Religion has nothing to do with this no matter how much they want to shout it to others.

"The prophet is avenged!"

"God is great!"

But alas, religion has nothing to do with this. You are a joke mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom