• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Nomura (FF VersusXIII, Kingdom Hearts III, FFVII Remake) is on Xenoblade 2

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You mean character design? I don't think people are very fond of the character design in XB. Not terrible per se, just not very memorable.

I dunno, i thought it was pretty good myself

11149390_814232585327863_7155626241194051646_n.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I still don't get why they didn't just bring back the guy who designed the original game...

i mean if this is xenoblade 2, should it not atleast have some basic connection to what people liked about the original in these ways? I can tell you a good strength of that game was its aesthetic

It was anime styled obviously, but it didn't go anywhere near the cringe factor

Probably because they were internally designed. I don't know how popular Saitom is, but he's definitely on board because Takahashi probably thought there was a fanbase or was a fan himself for some reason.

I dunno, i thought it was pretty good myself

11149390_814232585327863_7155626241194051646_n.jpg

Ah the Honne art, he didn't really design the characters for Xenoblade but did concept art like that and even built real models for the Bionis and Mechonis. What I would give for a game with his art direction again.

wrowa

Nah he probably did this pro bono just to get out of the house

You are joking, but I do wonder if this is something he's done in his freetime. Nomura and Takahashi have a long history together after all, so maybe the idea of him drawing a character or two for Xenoblade 2 was just something that came up when those guys met for a drink or something. :p

aravuus

The only part of this that resembles the Wii game is the resolution.

Hahaha

I was personally surprisingly okay with the original's character designs. I didn't like the insane gear you'll be wearing towards the end of the game, but the characters themselves are fine. Or look fine. Not a fan of many of the actual characters.

Pretty certain this Xenoblade wont have equipable armor/clothing

I haven't seen any evidence for or against this, so I'm not sure why you're making this assumption considering the games that precede it.

e: well except for the outlandish default designs

MCD

Xeno2 character designs look bad to me (just the main character tbh) but on the other hand it's fairly shounen stuff so maybe just maybe it's not aimed at the western market? Japan love these designs I bet.

Opa-Pa

Yeah while I'm fond of them, I admit the character designs in the first Xenoblade weren't anything too special. I think the only standout for me was Dunban, and Seven was pretty bad.

Still, I'd take "just okay" designs again over the anime abominations in X2 any day of the week, sigh.

Famassu

Thought it was either of these two. Nomura is great when under someone else.
Well, a vast majority of his character design work is done on games where he's not the director, so it's hard for your statement not to be true. Pretty much all of his crappiest character designs have happened under the direction of others too. KH is the only franchise he's the head of (though he's had a more or less important creative role in other projects as well) and KH designs are inoffensive and a bit goofy looking at worst (pun unintended) and actually really good at best (Master Xehanort, Eraqus, Sora, Riku & Kairi in KHII & III, Roxas/Ven, Aqua, many of the Org XIII members, some of the KHUX characters etc. are all good, memorable designs).

Hope he doesn't ruin the game.
Most of the games Nomura has had a more active role in (not (necessarily) the director but a strong supporting creative role) have been some of the better received SQEX games in the past decade. Games like TWEWY, Dissidia, Theatrhythm, portable KHs etc.

+ he's only a character designer in this, so it's not like he'll have any kind of bigger role beyond that (at most I'd imagine he'll maybe give some ideas about the story and/or personalities of the characters he designs).

So did he call in sick or use his vacation days to go hang out at Monolith Soft with his friend and play Nintendo games before they release.
He's just a workaholic. And it's not like this kind of work is something that will take him away from his own games for months, weeks or even days on end at a time, but more something he'll do on the side once he's done with his daily duties at SQEX.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Hahaha

I was personally surprisingly okay with the original's character designs. I didn't like the insane gear you'll be wearing towards the end of the game, but the characters themselves are fine. Or look fine. Not a fan of many of the actual characters.

I haven't seen any evidence for or against this, so I'm not sure why you're making this assumption considering the games that precede it.

e: well except for the outlandish default designs

Watch this trailer + treehouse footage breakdown. Specifically how it pertains to characters increasing/modifying their stats. Also note the symbols used for the shops.

https://youtu.be/leQ0fty6PFo

aravuus

Watch this trailer + treehouse footage breakdown. Specifically how it pertains to characters increasing/modifying their stats. Also note the symbols used for the shops.

https://youtu.be/leQ0fty6PFo

Ah, I haven't watched any of the analysis videos, I just remember seeing a bunch of shops towards the end of the treehouse gameplay footage. I'll (try to remember to) check that out when I get home.

You are joking, but I do wonder if this is something he's done in his freetime. Nomura and Takahashi have a long history together after all, so maybe the idea of him drawing a character or two for Xenoblade 2 was just something that came up when those guys met for a drink or something. :p

I would not be shocked at all if you told me Nomura suffered from the same thing Kubo Tite does, where he draws characters when he gets bored so nothing ever gets done.

+ he's only a character designer in this, so it's not like he'll have any kind of bigger role beyond that (at most I'd imagine he'll maybe give some ideas about the story and/or personalities of the characters he designs).

with some character designs? I mean if we've seen anything it can't get much worse on that front without him there.

Yeah, it was just a quick joke, lol. If he's really just doing some character designs it should be fine.

He's just a workaholic. And it's not like this kind of work is something that will take him away from his own games for months, weeks or even days on end at a time, but more something he'll do on the side once he's done with his daily duties at SQEX.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about this.

Famassu

Yeah, I'm not so sure about this.
That's how he has himself described his work habits/schedule in interviews, I'm not just pulling this shit out of my ass. Make jokes about him "never" finishing anything (I think that's mostly due to larger issues at SQEX & him just being responsible with reeeeally big games that nowadays don't get made in 2-3 years), but he's an insanely hard worker, so much so that he has himself admitted that it has harmed his personal life/how much time time he can spend with his family.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
They should've hired him to draw every main character considering the current horrid results we got instead.

duckroll

very funny. but if we're talking about actual designs, it still applies. Xenoblade 1's designs reminded me of FF12 actually

Does it? That's not character design, that's an art piece that happens to have characters in it. What do the actual Xenoblade character designs look like? Especially the 3D designs used for production of the actual game assets?

-shadow-

Well that explains why those two seem like Final Fantasy characters. When I saw the trailer during the Spotlight I already thought they looked very different from the rest, now we know why.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does it? That's not character design, that's an art piece that happens to have characters in it. What do the actual Xenoblade character designs look like? Especially the 3D designs used for production of the actual game assets?

These character designs

336d0891d1e4545f5304910fb243b660.jpg

Look pretty damn cool to me, as i said before, Xenoblade's outfits and such always gave me an Ivalice type of feeling

Golnei

I can't really complain about Xenoblade's character models in the context of the game's overall look, but there's no defending the vast majority of its armour - there were some spectacularly ugly messes in there.

X generally had a significantly better set of available options, though having all characters share the same pool of gear doubtlessly helped with that. That's most likely not happening here, and I'm guessing the casual gear isn't coming back either.

Haunted

You know you really fucked up as a designer if Nomura produces the least shitty character designs in your game. :lol

Xenoblade X at least had a character creator so I could mitigate the damage. But these Xenoblade 2 main character designs are just completely trash tier.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This would have been really interesting a few years back, but we live in a world where he also designs Batman action figures.

valkyre

Tetsuya Nomura, aka the guy working on 40 different projects simultaneously.

Cant wait to see his work for Gran Turismo.

duckroll

These character designs

Again, that's not character design, that's artwork. There's a reason why in the Xenoblade credits, there is no simple character designer credited, instead they credit people for art design - from 2D to 3D to illustration works.

For example, the base 2D designs look like this:

There's very little detail, especially in the faces. There are no detailed bust-up designs in 2D afaik. I think it also explains why the 3D model work in Xenoblade has a very different look from the detailed 2D artwork used for promotional purposes, because different artists expanded on the concepts on their own. They're not based on each other.

duckroll

Game deserves a hd remake, its sad how good the characters look in all the concepts compared to the potato faces we ended up with.

Those. Are. Not. Concept. Art.

They are illustration artwork made for promotional purposes. They're mean to be detailed and look really good. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand. Do people see something drawn in 2D and just automatically think "that must have been what they used to create the game"?

massoluk

Banned
Yeah while I'm fond of them, I admit the character designs in the first Xenoblade weren't anything too special. I think the only standout for me was Dunban, and Seven was pretty bad.
Ahh I thought the default Sharla design was pretty good

DemWalls

The masked guy looks kinda cool, I guess, but the other one is pretty bad, at least in game. Curious to see Nomura's original artwork.

TheMoon

Those. Are. Not. Concept. Art.

They are illustration artwork made for promotional purposes. They're mean to be detailed and look really good. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand. Do people see something drawn in 2D and just automatically think "that must have been what they used to create the game"?

I'm more surprised that you don't know that people don't know anything about game dev.

"Nobody" knows what concept art is. People see any sort of artwork that isn't a screenshot = concept art.

Whompa02

I'll take him over the other designers. The current designs for the actual main cast look pretty flat and uninspired.

Top Bottom