• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#ThanksMichelleObama - Students tweet gross lunch pics to First Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
More 'meals' at Yahoo!

Associated Press via New York Post

15678082178_4919c84b6e_c.jpg

Kids 'thank' Michelle Obama for 'mystery mush' school lunches

WASHINGTON — School kids are giving thanks to first lady Michelle Obama just in time for the holiday – with a sarcastic Twitter hashtag about unappealing school lunches.

Along with photos of unsavory-looking school meals, the hashtag #ThanksMichelleObama was among the top trends on Twitter within the United States for a time on Friday.

The first lady has become the symbol of healthier school meals as she has pushed standards implemented in 2012 that require more fruits, vegetables and whole grains in the lunch line in an effort to combat childhood obesity. There are also limits on sodium, sugar and fat.

While many schools have put the standards in place successfully, others have said some of the new foods end up in the trash can.

Many of the photos have a Thanksgiving theme – think sad-looking stuffing – while others are everyday meals. The hashtag appears to have started around two years ago, but didn’t really catch on until Friday after several websites picked it up.

“Had a very #healthylunch today,” Hunter Whitney of Wisconsin tweeted. “The apple definitely made up for the `mystery mush’ #ThanksMichelleObama.”

His photo of a soupy Spanish rice gone wrong and an apple on a school lunch tray was retweeted more than 170 times.

“I’m going to fight until the bitter end to make sure that every kid in this country continues to have the best nutrition that they can have in our schools, because these kids, all of these kids, are worth it,” Michelle Obama said this summer.

This is so funny, it made me cry reading the tweets.

DOWN

Banned
but without michelle he/she wouldn't have had that apple to make the mystery mush better, it would've just been mush.

I don't think the hashtag is seriously saying she made lunches gross, but there are some indicating her legislation efforts may be part of the blame. Some students are claiming it has reduced the portions and options available, and many schools' new nutritious foods are gross.

I don't think the hashtag is seriously saying she made lunches gross, but there are some indicating her legislation efforts may be part of the blame. Some students are claiming it has reduced the portions and options available, and many schools' new nutritious foods are gross.
reducing portions is a good thing, we get used to eating too much and call it normal, nowadays.

Gross new food is a problem, tho.

Kettch

Ehhh, I kinda doubt that the meal looks gross because of it being healthy. They'd probably just have a gross looking unhealthy meal instead.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Fuck these kids. I grew up with fucking rectangle pizza with cubed pepperoni!

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-10.39.09-AM1.png

elementary school was awesome with that stale pizza. also, i loved freshman year of high school, 4 flavors of milk until they took it away the next year ;~;

Apt101

Chicken patty day was the bomb. I also liked the slightly dodgy cheeseburgers - pretty sure they were cut with soy or something, but so good. Never had that nasty looking chowmein though. Our pizza was rectangular but they gave out huge pieces, more than most kids could eat.

Strike

Okay, but you need to be blaming your raggedy ass school for cutting corners and giving you these struggle meals instead of getting the actual healthy food.

Jarrod38

Spaghetti day was the best at my school. Even the kids who packed their lunches wkuld buy the spaghetti. Best school lunch ever.

Mononoke

Banned
it fucking sucked before you whiny brats she didnt do shit

Didn't she push healthier food in schools? I think that's what they are talking about. Then again, I don't know if any of the stuff she pushed or campaigned actually even made it to the local schools.

Either way, I agree that it always sucked. And it's not her fault lol

I went to 4 different elementary schools in and around Toronto and none of them had cafeterias. I am wondering if I missed out or if it is an American thing.

Avixph

They call this food?

B2_kbxACIAANoMd.jpg

It looks like it tasted so bad that he threw up on top of it.

That doesn't look like something served at a school, and I say this because the food looks like it was served on a glass plate and to the left of it there's what seems to be a wine glass.

Sami+

Chicken patty day was the bomb. I also liked the slightly dodgy cheeseburgers - pretty sure they were cut with soy or something, but so good. Never had that nasty looking chowmein though. Our pizza was rectangular but they gave out huge pieces, more than most kids could eat.

fuck yessss chicken patty day was my jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom