• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#ThanksMichelleObama - Students tweet gross lunch pics to First Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrimzero

I agree, it's an old statistic but from the 2011 report, the figures have changed. Still, I doubt the changes have been that drastic, the funding per student is comparable with other rich nations. While I agree that schools need more money, the statistics really raise a question of where all the money goes.

You really have to donate classroom supplies?

Really do.

BxBjbE2CYAIwlrb.jpg

Dead.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Are they really? I can't believe that's actually a thing. That's unfathomably stupid.
Sarah-Palin-Big-Gulp-600x450.jpg

Reacting to that criticism, House Republicans had urged USDA to completely rewrite the standards in their version of the bill passed in June. The Senate last month voted to block the potato limits in their version. Neither version included the language on tomato paste, sodium or whole grains, which was added by House-Senate negotiators on the bill.

Allow USDA to count two tablespoons of tomato paste as a vegetable, as it does now. The department had attempted to require that only a half-cup of tomato paste could be considered a vegetable — too much to put on a pizza. Federally subsidized lunches must have a certain number of vegetables to be served.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45306416/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/pizza-vegetable-congress-says-yes/

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The chicken patty with mashed potatoes broccoli and 2 chocolate milks were the go to in my day. Meal was like $1.95. Why can't i get that now.

Zach

Single dad here. Parents should make their kids' lunch each day. I do. Unless you're financially destitute and part of the free lunch program, you really have no business complaining about your kid's unappetizing school lunch.

That's just my opinion, though.

I found it really odd how the elementary school and the high school both have the same serving of milk. Was not nearly enough especially when the meal was spicy chicken. High school age kids are much bigger its not enough.

Also those pizzas were actually good, most of the time unless they over cooked it. They occasionally went to whole grain and ruined it and it was horrid.

That pizza...you guys are bringing back bad memories.

Though my school had Nachos, Beef, and Cheese every once in a while, that went hard. As did those pink frosting cookies.

SykoTech

What babies. That looks way better than the cream corn they served me.

The only thing I liked about school lunch was the Mexican Pizza.

tumblr_lga70bhKsJ1qekxyjo1_500.png

Of course, the one in the cafeteria looked like the one on the right rather than the left. Still was pretty tasty though.

Everything else sucked. But I dealt with it without having social media to run to and cry on.

Fuck these kids. I grew up with fucking rectangle pizza with cubed pepperoni!

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-10.39.09-AM1.png

Fuck yes! We got rectangle pizza every damn day! They also sometimes gave us bigger sizes for extra cash, and some guy would always get a piece the size of his tray. It was glorious mannnn.

Grakl

Lunch food from school was always terrible, but thanks to being able to get free lunch I didn't really care. Free and reduced payment for lunch is one of my favorite programs from the government.

Quikies83

I really feel like I missed out on a important life struggle/lesson with school food.
I went to a private christian school and a few businesses catered to us throughout the week: taco bell on Tuesdays, Chick-fil-a on Thursdays and pizza hut on Fridays (dollar a slice but they were cut new York style).

Edit: I guess I should mention that they didn't offer any kind of food plan. Would just get $5 from my mom each morning and that would cover break snack and lunch.

I have a friend who is a teacher. She went to the cafeteria to grab a snack to go along with the food she brought and she said everything looked disgusting. They had nachos and she asked for just the chips and they told her they couldn't sell it to her that way. It was all or nothing. She told them she was a lactose intolerant vegetarian and that she couldn't eat the meat or cheese. It took a lot of convincing before they finally sold her just the chips.

Strain

Ahh yes, I remember my days of school lunches. The nasty reddish brown spaghetti that made me vomit, the peanut butter jelly sandwiches that made me vomit, and the grease bread my school called pizza that made me vomit.

That's why ketchup should be considered a vegetable though? You answered your own question. They're counting it as a serving of vegetables.

And if ketchup contains enough tomato to be considered a serving of vegetables then it is a serving of vegetables, like deep fried sugar glazed broccoli would also be a serving of vegetables.

I really feel like I missed out on a important life struggle/lesson with school food.
I went to a private christian school and a few businesses catered to us throughout the week: taco bell on Tuesdays, Chick-fil-a on Thursdays and pizza hut on Fridays (dollar a slice but they were cut new York style).

Edit: I guess I should mention that they didn't offer any kind of food plan. Would just get $5 from my mom each morning and that would cover break snack and lunch.

You really didn't miss much. It was low quality, unhealthy food that kids were being fed in these public lunch programs. The Milk always tasted like bleach and the pizza was the redeeming grace of the much numerous servings of food that were not very appetizing.

Although, your catered foods are no better.

I was in K-6 for public school and I can't recommend those lunches to anyone.

When I started going to parochial school from 7-12th Grade, I ended up making lunch and bringing it to school nearly every day. We also had cafeteria food, but it was really low quality.

not hating on the incentive, but the push towards healthier lunches created a miasma of unappetizing food in my school's cafeteria.

I'm talking wheat buns with dry turkey buns or chicken i don't know. brown and gray, tasted just like it looked (which is like nothing at all). vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli soups or some shit with too much salt and oil floating on top of water for some reason. some sort of vegan taco shit that was weird as hell. no pizzas.

it wasn't healthy at all because it was still lots of complex carbs with lots of salt and grease, and it didn't have the decency to at least be tasty. it was a dark time.

That's insane. Kids need calories, they need fuel. Just don't throw fatty garbage or sodas at them all day. But to starve them entirely based on whatever antiquated nutrition guidelines the government uses (the stupid ass food pyramid, still?) is really unhealthy, possibly dangerous.

No the problem is the new guidelines, I ate fine back in school based on the pyramid.
Even really good schools haven't been given enough support for the guidelines so they end up with the old style lunches yet have to cut a side here, cut 2 chicken nuggets there and half that side.
The lunch is technically within the guidelines yet they charge the same as they used to and now you have 90% of the kids that buy school lunches either buying extra items or a complete extra lunch just to get full.

Take Hot Dog day for example.
Before guideline- Hot Dog, small bag of chips, small side of fries(sometimes), cookie, milk
After guideline- Hot Dog, fruit cup, milk

Tagyhag

I definitely saw the rapid descent of quality in school food while going through my years.

From Calzones and free brownies in elementary, to pretty much slop at the ending years of high school.

During Freshman year we ended up getting calzones, piggies in a blanket, kung pao chicken etc. so I thought we were finally getting more budget, turns out it was just a lie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom