• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#ThanksMichelleObama - Students tweet gross lunch pics to First Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.
b2_5o3rcyaezmre.jpg

Looks fake to me, like they removed the bun, toppings and all the salad leaving only the tomato for comedy purposes lol

Maybe someone has a gluten allergy.

DopeToast

Banned
Brown baggers unite. Always had myself at least a decent sandwich and a piece of fruit.

Except on chicken patty and crispito day. I looked forward to those.

daveo42

Banned
Fuck these kids. I grew up with fucking rectangle pizza with cubed pepperoni!

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-10.39.09-AM1.png

I keep forgetting you can buy these at GFS. I know they are horrible for you and probably don't taste all that great now, but these things were the absolute best when I was younger. Pizza day was always a great day a school.

LProtag

I got to the cafeteria sometimes to see what my students eat.

Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's good. It's generally a lot healthier than when I went there. We had a line where you could get burgers and fries or cheese filled pretzels and a bunch of other shit that was probably terrible for you.

Now you end up with stuff like whole grain macaroni and cheese with a side of broccoli. If you're not into the main course you can get a chef's salad or a grinder/wrap. Plenty of veggies.

Obviously sometimes the meal bombs, like in some of these pictures.

Public school lunch was trash when I was a kid...I'd imagine it's been trash since public school free/reduced cost lunch programs were started. Can't say that's Michelle Obama's fault. Maybe the state gov'ts could increase their funding for their school districts so they could pay for better food with higher-quality ingredients?

...but probably not, because food in general is expensive.

Anyway, this thread is amazing.

BTW, circle pizza w/cubed pepperoni > *.

Pan+Pizza.jpg

Not only were these delicious, but if you brought your own lunch you used to be able to flip these for almost anything in the lunchroom. Got a sick Wolverine action figure with retractable claws moving one of these.

Lum1n3s

how much does the standard school lunch cost these days?

I recall when i was in highschool in the mid 2000s it was about $1.60
I think it's like $2.50-$3, somewhere around there. I have to check with my little sister when I get home.

Why has no one mentioned the alternative version to rectangular pizza??

Screenshot_2014-11-24-10-04-30-1.png

They used to serve these at my school and I liked them more.

wildfire

Banned
BTW, circle pizza w/cubed pepperoni > *.

Pan+Pizza.jpg

Not only were these delicious, but if you brought your own lunch you used to be able to flip these for almost anything in the lunchroom. Got a sick Wolverine action figure with retractable claws moving one of these.

Those were the best among school lunches.

The guidelines are 750 to 850 calories I think. That's plenty of food for lunch.

It's awful that she's trying to ensure that kids don't turn out into lazy fat asses by limiting calorie intake.

MORE PIZZA FOR EVERYONE! PIZZA TOPPED WITH BACON TOPPED WITH RANCH DRESSING!

So since I first entered this thread I have been trying to remember what my other younger brother(middleschool) told me they had that was so bad.
Called and asked him a while ago.

1. "Italian Dunkers" 2 average size mozzarella sticks with a tiny cup(old ketchup cup things) of sauce with a single spoon of mashed potatoes.
2. 'Turkey Sandwich" a single slice of lunchmeat turkey with a hamburger bun and a single ketchup packet.

J-Rod

The offended posters going on about republicans is funnier than these shitty lunches. It doesn't look far off from what we ate 20 years ago, and we would have done the same thing if we had smart phones and hashtags.

It's awful that she's trying to ensure that kids don't turn out into lazy fat asses by limiting calorie intake.

MORE PIZZA FOR EVERYONE! PIZZA TOPPED WITH BACON TOPPED WITH RANCH DRESSING!

750 calories is enough for the kids who don't play sports, but for those that do play sports during and after school thats not nearly enough. Due to overcrowding, some kids are forced to eat lunch as early as 9:45am, and by time football practice rolls around at 3pm they are hungry.

No, soda machines have already been removed from many schools.
Here they were the first to go(even powerade machines in the gym) then snack machines and then the actual lunch crap started.

My main point being that income from fast food/snack/soft drink companies would need to be replaced before universal changes are made. Many districts want the money more than they want high quality healthy food.

Sure, soda may not be in your area schools - but that was just an illustrative example. Of course, if you still have snacks - Frito-Lay is a subsidiary of PepsiCo which distributes Lay's, Ruffles, Doritos, Tostitos, Cheetos, Rold Gold pretzels, Sun Chips, etc.

In my day Taco Bell was sold in high schools. Indeed, the school systems themselves were franchise licensees with better contracts than locations airports and malls. I'm not sure if that's still a practice, but it wouldn't shock me. Schools want that green, yo.

ah slow moving bureaucracy that would gladly sell kids ketchup and call it a serving of vegetables.

I don't see the problem. If a tomato is a vegetable, and I make ketchup from a tomato, then did the ketchup magically turn from vegetable into non-vegetable? Lets assume that I eat an amount of ketchup that is equivalent to one whole tomato.

Stet

Banned
I don't see the problem. If a tomato is a vegetable, and I make ketchup from a tomato, then did the ketchup magically turn from vegetable into non-vegetable? Lets assume that I eat an amount of ketchup that is equivalent to one whole tomato.

Why not make it simpler? The average tomato is about 100 grams. What if you were to eat 100 grams of ketchup?

You would also have eaten the same amount of sugar as in 2/3rds of a can of Coke and more sodium than is in a Big Mac.

Pilgrimzero

I loved the square pizza back in the day. And those soy burgers were soooo good.

Now kids can order Chik-fil-a or Taco Bell, etc at the lunch line. Man, that's just messed up.

Jasup

Regarding lunches, do teachers customarily eat with the pupils?
When I was teaching (in Finland) I had my lunch with my class, waited in line, had the same food and regularly sat at the same table with them. It's quite a common practice here as it's part of the education, but I reckon it's not the case everywhere?
I'd be a bit disappointed if I were served some of the meals pictured here.

My high's schools lunches were fucking awesome. Real food served on real plates, with a sit down service, choice of menu and even waiter service (volunteer students for extra credits).
Admittedly I finished hight school 15 years ago, but even then people were bitching about mystery food for their lunches and unhealthy options.
Shit my parents are good cooks, but i was still eating better at school. It was so popular that lunch was rolled out through the classes over an hour and half to avoid restaurant like queues.

When I was teaching (in Finland) I had my lunch with my class, waited in line, had the same food and regularly sat at the same table with them. It's quite a common practice here as it's part of the education, but I reckon it's not the case everywhere?

No, from what I can tell most teachers bring their own lunch and eat when they aren't teaching. You only see them in the cafeteria when they're needed to police the kids causing trouble.

Didn't she push healthier food in schools? I think that's what they are talking about. Then again, I don't know if any of the stuff she pushed or campaigned actually even made it to the local schools.

Either way, I agree that it always sucked. And it's not her fault lol

She basically pushed to have limits on calories and other such things. Leaving it up to the schools to keep their food under specified guidelines. With limited budgets for cafeterias already, this has caused many to simply greatly reduce portion sizes of lunches of the already cheap stuff they purchased.

How is it Michelles fault that the schools fuck up their own meals?

Ingrate brats.

Shes the one who is causing schools to meet limits on what they can serve, while schools are not being given any improved budgets to accommodate healthier meals. The main reason the food was unhealthy is because of the school budgets forced them to buy cheap stuff.

Teachers table, all the teachers who's classes had lunch at that time sat together.
They ate the same food but they also had a microwave at their table that only they were allowed to use.

scamander

Banned
Holy shit, that first pic. I hope that's not the overall standard of School food in the US. oO

German school food looks like this:

102476_1_articleorg_image_9d97fcfa4d172df86fe61ce09e807b70.jpg

mensa290606.jpg

dscf0068.jpg

750 calories is enough for the kids who don't play sports, but for those that do play sports during and after school thats not nearly enough. Due to overcrowding, some kids are forced to eat lunch as early as 9:45am, and by time football practice rolls around at 3pm they are hungry.

A. Sports are an extra-curricular activity. Emphasis on the word "extra." They can get themselves their own "extra" food from home and snack on it between classes.

B. I'm pretty sure that a limited caloric intake is better than pizza and chicken patties with tater tots, fries, and a lot of ketchup.

Corgi

Banned
I made so much cash driving to chik fil a and zaxby's buying stuff in bulk and resaleing them to kids without cars for 50% more.

A big problem lot of schools are also encountering is that they have contracts with companies that supply their food, they have to feed kids under these new rules while they are stuck still with suppliers of the same cheap fast food junk they have been serving. So schools are instead just serving ridiculous portions of the same slop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom