• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#ThanksMichelleObama - Students tweet gross lunch pics to First Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroxed

Woah, I thought that cafeteria-food-mush only happened on cartoons, so it's real.

It comes as kind of a shock (I'm not American).

Oh man I remember those fuckers. It was like 80% sauce.

IMG_0759.JPG

I loved those in elementary school. Loved them so much that I would sometimes get back on line for seconds and even thirds.

Kite

Woah, I thought that cafeteria-food-mush only happened on cartoons, so it's real.

It comes as kind of a shock (I'm not American).
I'm American and I don't recognize some of this shit, must be from poor shitty schools..
Y1ZszVL.jpg

I got stuff like this, definitely not great but doesn't look like puke like other pics in this thread. Makes a pretty good sandwich.

I'm American and I don't recognize some of this shit, must be from poor shitty schools..
Y1ZszVL.jpg

I got stuff like this, definitely not great but doesn't look like puke like other pics in this thread. Makes a pretty good sandwich.

Yep, that looked like a typical school lunch back in my day. I think Michelle Obama eliminated a lot of starches and carbs so Potatoes and breads have been removed, and the portions are probably smaller to adhere to the 850 calorie max

And also, as far as the smaller portion sizes, for some kids that live in poverty, a school lunch is the one meal they can guarantee eating that day. So, it kinda sucks to see the "new" lunches being served because the middle class and upper middle class kids can eat snacks and a nice dinner later while for the impoverished kids this may be the only meal they eat all day.

These things are fucking amazing! I loved these things smiley faces growing up, pizza pies, and those cheese burritos.
smiley-face-french-fries.jpg

Anyone know where I can buy them?

Rectangle Pizza? look around discount food stores, seen them in Walmart a few rare times

The smiley faces I have only seen in with tv dinners with popcorn chicken.

Y1ZszVL.jpg

Thats what our lunches looked like back when I was in Middle and Highschool, now because of the new rules 3/4th of that would be gone(yet same price).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hated Fridays because I was so sick of pizza by High School. Chicken Nugget day and Sloppy Joe day were the new pizza days.

I usually just endured with no food until I got home. The only edible thing at my school was the coffee cake and those pb&j sandwich things.

TheJLC

In high school everyday we had spicy chicken sandwiches, nachos with cheese, french fries, sandwiches, salad, apples, oranges, and milk. Everyday we had a different special like Friday was pizza and Wednesday was tacos.

I always got the chicken sandwiches, sometimes twice.

Y1ZszVL.jpg

which state did you live in? cuz this pic is why kids are obese. holy shit that looks like 1300 calories in that meal

Fuck these kids. I grew up with fucking rectangle pizza with cubed pepperoni!

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-10.39.09-AM1.png

Takes me back. So many elementary school lunches consisted of this. Then when we got to high school, we had Pizza Hut Wednesdays.

Fuck your rectangular pizzas. Beef and cheese nachos will always be the school lunch champ.

That too. I didn't even care whether the cheese sauce was bad for me or not.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
These young assholes think Michelle Obama ruined school lunches? School lunches have been total dogshit for decades!

Yeah. Then again, when I was in middle school and lower end of high school, I legitimately listened to Rush Limbaugh and thought Clinton was about the destroy us all. Kids are stupid. The schools can do better with the budgets they get though, because a lot of those pics looks be more of the result of shit preparation lack of give a fuck.

I mean, that spanish rice pic is clearly just somebody not giving a crap. Rice isn't exactly breaking the budgets, ya know?

Y1ZszVL.jpg

This is the type of food I would get, especially those mashed potatoes, looks exactly like what I would get.

And they didn't do good pizza where I went, it was a slice of super greasy disgustingness. You press a napkin to the top of it and it came back dripping with grease.

Edit: Actually that's def more than what we would get except on Thanksgiving. We'd get that much on Thanksgiving.

Valnen

Fuck these kids. I grew up with fucking rectangle pizza with cubed pepperoni!

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-10.39.09-AM1.png

When people complain about something like Pizza hut I think of that shit and laugh. The only bad Pizza was that shitty school Pizza. Literally (lol) the worst thing in existence.

DooD1234

Y1ZszVL.jpg

I don't know bout anyone else but this lunch compared to the lunch I got back in middle and high school (rectangle pizza was the best school lunch) make this meal look like it was made for kings and those portions too lol.

Valnen

Lol you Americans, what's wrong with that?
Do you guys know what a stew is?
That looks perfectly fine.

This is stew.

PEd2M6m.jpg

Whatever that mush is in the school lunch looks so disgusting (and probably smells just as bad) that I doubt it even qualifies as cat food. Why are our schools still feeding children such garbage?

AMUSIX

Still find it weird people get lunch at school, we just always had to bring our own food :/

Same. Any food you didn't want from your lunch, you were supposed to give it to the vice-principal, he would then set it out for any kid who didn't have a lunch to take.

Up to 3rd grade, however, there were hot lunch days, and, on those days, you had to bring a few dollars to get whatever it was. I think my mom only gave me money on pizza days. Otherwise it was a sandwich, fruit, and a box drink in a brown paper bag.

Ecotic

Looking back, the thing I remember the most about school lunch was all the Mexican kids asking for anything I wouldn't eat because it tasted bad. And I didn't really grasp at the time why.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't get it. What the hell is that mush supposed to be anyway? And how is it a result of Michelle Obama's food nazism?

Man school mashed potatoes were so bland.
I used to mix 1 packet of ketchup in, then shred and mix my roll in and finally dip my chicken nuggets into it.
Probably the weirdest thing I have ever done with food but it actually made that one of my favorite things my school had.

Edit: Actually that's def more than what we would get except on Thanksgiving. We'd get that much on Thanksgiving.
Remove that extra roll and whatever is top right and you definitely have our norm,
that extra smidge of potatoes could happen if you got a nice lunch lady though.

This is the type of food I would get, especially those mashed potatoes, looks exactly like what I would get.

And they didn't do good pizza where I went, it was a slice of super greasy disgustingness. You press a napkin to the top of it and it came back dripping with grease.

It looks like more than my elementary and middle school in Ohio would serve us in the 80's/early 90's. For the same meal we'd get a crappy chunk of breaded meat/turkey slice, that flavorless whipped instant mash shit with reconstituted turkey gravy, one roll, and the green beans on a brightly colored plastic tray. Our lunches were pretty close to the same quality and portion size as those Banquet TV dinners you can get for a buck, maybe even worse (I seem to recall the mashed potatoes in those TV dinners tasting somewhat like what they're pretending to be). My high school didn't even have a cafeteria to serve food, we were turned loose on the town and left to our own devices (most of us would drop two bucks for a slice of pizza and a bottle of pop at the place across the street and stand around outside smoking :p, unless we had weed or alcohol, then we'd head down the road to the park and smoke up or drink there).

I have kids in elementary school and one in middle school here in Oregon who are on the free lunch program now and I'm amazed at the comparative quality, and they get free breakfast too!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
American school lunches always bewilder me when it comes to how horrible some of these look. How does it work anyway? Do the students pay when they get the food or are these part of the school fees? Or is it all paid by the state?

I'm glad that my schools had rather good food when I was growing up. One could probably get a nice lunch for below US$2 if you're in primary school or maybe US$2 to US$3.50 when you're older and require larger portions. The school canteen usually has a few different stalls serving food based on our main ethnic groups and are rented out at very very low prices to individuals so long as they kept the prices low. They also have to follow rules like selling diluted soft drinks or only selling fried food once a week if they want to continue operating.

American school lunches always bewilder me when it comes to how horrible some of these look. How does it work anyway? Do the students pay when they get the food or are these part of the school fees? Or is it all paid by the state?

I'm glad that my schools had rather good food when I was growing up. One could probably get a nice lunch for below US$2 if you're in primary school or maybe US$2 to US$3.50 when you're older and require larger portions. The school canteen usually has a few different stalls serving food based on our main ethnic groups and are rented out at very very low prices to individuals so long as they kept the prices low. They also have to follow rules like selling diluted soft drinks or only selling fried food once a week if they want to continue operating.

I think it depends on the school. For my kids elementary it's a annual fee that the parents pay to the school (though if your family is below a certain level of income you can get it at a reduced price or free) and they get breakfast and lunch. When I was a kid you paid daily for each meal and took your chances (unless your family was below a certain level of income, then you could get it at a reduced price or free). Food was government purchased and prepared by government paid employees and was of the quality one would expect (crap or decent depending on area the school is in).

What's with the weird trays? Don't they trust you with plates in america?

When I was a kid they used sectioned hard plastic trays.

cajunator

Banned
Our school food was ok but this being Louisiana a lot of kids brought stuff like jambalaya and crawfish etouffee for lunch instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom