• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 74th Annual Golden Globes |OT| *laughs at own joke and ruffles Mel Gibson's hair*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an insult that Your Name wasn't even nominated for Best Animated Feature. I mean, realistically, it probably wouldn't win against Zootopia but it at least deserves a nomination/recognition.

I love Stranger Things but this last season of GoT was just so damn good.

It's too bad Deadpool has to go against something like La La Land. It has no chance.

Beartruck

Haven't we all forgiven Mel Gibson by now?

Dude makes fucking amazing movies.
His official comment on it was "I think I can be forgiven for something I said a decade ago while high and having a nervous breakdown in the back of a cop car." Take that as you will.

liquidtmd

Banned
FILM

Best Picture, Drama
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

Best Picture, Comedy or Musical
20th Century Women
Deadpool
Florence Foster Jenkins
La La Land
Sing Street

Best Director
Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Tom Ford, Nocturnal Animals
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Best Actor, Drama
Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
Joel Edgerton, Loving
Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington, Fences

Best Actress, Drama
Amy Adams, Arrival
Jessica Chastain, Miss Sloane
Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Ruth Negga, Loving
Natalie Portman, Jackie

Best Actor, Comedy or Musical
Colin Farrell, The Lobster
Ryan Gosling, La La Land
Hugh Grant, Florence Foster Jenkins
Jonah Hill, War Dogs
Ryan Reynolds, Deadpool

Best Actress, Comedy or Musical
Annette Bening, 20th Century Women
Lily Collins, Rules Don't Apply
Hailee Steinfeld, The Edge of Seventeen
Emma Stone, La La Land
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
Simon Helberg, Florence Foster Jenkins
Dev Patel, Lion
Aaron Taylor Johsnon, Nocturnal Animals

Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis, Fences
Naomie Harris, Moonlight
Nicole Kidman, Lion
Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures
Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

Best Screenplay
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
Taylor Sheridan, Hell or High Water

Best Original Score
Moonlight
La La Land
Arrival
Lion
Hidden Figures

Best Original Song
“Can't Stop the Feeling,” Trolls
“City of Stars,” La La Land
“Faith,” Sing
“Gold,” Gold
“How Far I’ll Go,” Moana

Best Animated Feature Film
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini
Sing
Zootopia

Best Foreign Language Film
Divines
Elle
Neruda
The Salesman
Toni Erdmann

TELEVISION

Best TV Series, Drama
The Crown
Game of Thrones
Stranger Things
This Is Us
Westworld

Best TV Series, Comedy or Musical
Atlanta
Blackish
Mozart in the Jungle
Transparent
Veep

Best TV Miniseries or Movie
American Crime
The Dresser
The Night Manager
The Night Of
The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

Best Actor, Drama
Rami Malek, Mr. Robot
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
Matthew Rhys, The Americans
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan
Billy Bob Thornton, Goliath

Best Actress, Drama
Caitriona Balfe, Outlander
Claire Foy, The Crown
Keri Russell, The Americans
Winona Ryder, Stranger Things
Evan Rachel Wood, Westworld

Best Actor, Comedy or Musical
Anthony Anderson, Blackish
Gael Garcia Bernal, Mozart in the Jungle
Donald Glover, Atlanta
Nick Nolte, Graves
Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent

Best Actress, Comedy or Musical
Rachel Bloom, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Sarah Jessica Parker, Divorce
Issa Rae, Insecure
Gina Rodriguez, Jane the Virgin
Tracee Ellis Ross, Blackish

Best Supporting Actor
Sterling K. Brown, The People vs. O.J. Simpson
Hugh Laurie, The Night Manager
John Lithgow, The Crown
Christian Slater, Mr. Robot
John Travolta, The People vs. O.J. Simpson

Best Supporting Actress
Olivia Colman, The Night Manager
Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
Chrissy Metz, This Is Us
Mandy Moore, This Is Us
Thandie Newton, Westworld

Best Actor, Mini-Series or TV Movie
Riz Ahmed, The Night Of
Bryan Cranston, All the Way
Tom Hiddleston, The Night Manager
John Turturro, The Night Of
Courtney B. Vance, The People vs. O.J. Simpson

Best Actress, Mini-Series or TV Movie
Felicity Huffman, American Crime
Riley Keough, The Girlfriend Experience
Sarah Paulson, The People vs. O.J. Simpson
Charlotte Rampling, London Spy
Kerry Washington, Confirmation

========================

My predictions

A few very off the wall but fuck it - I'm feeling saucy and expect a few left field choices tonight.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Idk has he actually apologized or done anything since that makes it seem like he's not a piece of shit?

http://www.adl.org/anti-semitism/united-states/c/mel-gibsons-apology-to-the-jewish-community.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gibson-idUSTRE59554K20091006

http://www.ranker.com/list/celebrities-who-secretly-do-a-lot-of-charity-work/celebrity-lists

Mel Gibson has donated $10 million to reimburse hospitals that cared for seriously ill children. He also donated $7 to the Church of the Holy Family in Malibu. The "Braveheart" mastermind regularly supports Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Declare Yourself, and Healing the Children.

shira

It's an insult that Your Name wasn't even nominated for Best Animated Feature. I mean, realistically, it probably wouldn't win against Zootopia but it at least deserves a nomination/recognition.

Do you even know any members of the Hollywood Foreign Press?

If Deadpool wins Ryan Reynolds totally has to accept the award in character.

There's no other way.

That would be amazing, but there's no way he'll win. I have a feeling that La La Land - and everyone associated with it - is going to clean house.

liquidtmd

Banned
That would be amazing, but there's no way he'll win. I have a feeling that La La Land - and everyone associated with it - is going to clean house.

I dunno. I've got a feeling Gosling himself is not a lock and Reynolds could bizarrely take it in a grasp for the awards to go with a populist choice for clicks

I agree there's no chance in holy hell DP snags best movie

Quick

Banned
Subbed. Gonna have to find myself a stream for later (not the NBC one).

Would be amazing if Reynolds takes Best Actor, Comedy or Musical but he has solid competition. I'd say Gosling gets it, with a small chance of a Reynolds surprise.

Don't know if it's worth watching with Fallon hosting. But I don't want to miss all the sloshed presenters and general awkwardness.

oipic

Gervais will likely be a presenter, and hijack the show for a few minutes.

Gervais not presenting, it seems:

Presenters: Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck, Drew Barrymore, Kristen Bell, Annette Bening, Pierce Brosnan, Naomi Campbell, Steve Carell, Jessica Chastain, Priyanka Chopra, Matt Damon, Viola Davis, Laura Dern, Leonardo DiCaprio, Gal Gadot, Hugh Grant, Jon Hamm, Goldie Hawn, Chris Hemsworth,Felicity Jones,Anna Kendrick, Nicole Kidman, Brie Larson, John Legend,Diego Luna, Sienna Miller,Mandy Moore, Timothy Olyphant, Chris Pine, Eddie Redmayne, Ryan Reynolds, Zoe Saldana, Amy Schumer, Sylvester Stallone, Sting, Emma Stone, Justin Theroux, Carrie Underwood, Vince Vaughn, Milo Ventimiglia, Sofía Vergara, Carl Weathers, Kristen Wiig, Reese Witherspoon.

jett

D-Member
This is such a strange/weak year for nominees. I have no idea who is going to win what.

Look at this list

Best Director
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

No. Idea.

kevin1025

Banned
Gervais not presenting, it seems:

Presenters: Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck, Drew Barrymore, Kristen Bell, Annette Bening, Pierce Brosnan, Naomi Campbell, Steve Carell, Jessica Chastain, Priyanka Chopra, Matt Damon, Viola Davis, Laura Dern, Leonardo DiCaprio, Gal Gadot, Hugh Grant, Jon Hamm, Goldie Hawn, Chris Hemsworth,Felicity Jones,Anna Kendrick, Nicole Kidman, Brie Larson, John Legend,Diego Luna, Sienna Miller,Mandy Moore, Timothy Olyphant, Chris Pine, Eddie Redmayne, Ryan Reynolds, Zoe Saldana, Amy Schumer, Sylvester Stallone, Sting, Emma Stone, Justin Theroux, Carrie Underwood, Vince Vaughn, Milo Ventimiglia, Sofía Vergara, Carl Weathers, Kristen Wiig, Reese Witherspoon.

Hmm, interesting! Also, that's a stacked presenter list.

Carl Weathers better have some more broth/stew tips.

forrest

formerly nacire
Man I'm still surprised at how much love Hell or High water is getting. I really did enjoy it but I couldn't shake the feeling that in terms of neo-westerns No Country For Old Men blows it out of the (high) water.

Yeah, I don't really get the high praise. It was enjoyable, but nothing that blew me away. Also I'm so over Bridges dodgy old country accent.

While it's good to see the leads from The Americans getting nominations, the fact that the show itself got snubbed for best TV drama yet agin is just criminal.

Also, fuckin' Sing got nominated? Secret life of pets would've been a pick than Sing.
If they can't win things for this past season then they are just never going get proper recognition. Wright should have a supporting nod, too.

Ridley327

I know it probably won't happen, but I'd love to see Ruth Negga pull an upset. She was wonderful in Loving.

Loving was one of those sure things early on that got pretty much ignored. It's honestly hard to know why there wound up being so much indifference towards it, though I suspect that its loss was to the gain of Moonlight.

Loving was one of those sure things early on that got pretty much ignored. It's honestly hard to know why there wound up being so much indifference towards it, though I suspect that its loss was to the gain of Moonlight.

It seems very understated from what I've read.

Did you see it? Was it actually good? It seems to have been really swept under the rug. I hate how we're only allowed to have one big black movie a year. The only reason Fences' performances are getting mentioned is because Denzel and Viola are elites.

CoolOff

I'm just here to complain when The Americans misses out on awards.

tumblr_m0oxv1jUQr1qb0q9io1_500.gif

As much as I love Deadpool, it would be a travesty for it to win considering the other contenders. Seriously. Deadpool is great, but it just doesn't stand in an award show. The movie's overreliance on flashbacks in its structure disqualifies it anyways, in my book.

GunBR

Golden Globe Nominee for Best Picture: Deadpool

Like what
The Hangover won this category a few years ago

People complained a lot about The Martian last year, but most of the time they give the Best Comedy or Musical award to a real Comedy or musical

What was that website that streamed the oscars? It had a funny and catchy name, and when commercials aired, we'd get a song that was just a guy singing the name of the website in a jolly way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom