• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Featuring Shailene Woodley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

Shailene Woodley is not in the movie.

463.jpg

Spinluck

I expect it to be messy as a film, but good from a character standpoint. I think there will be too much going on, and Webb won't be able to get it to all flow right for the entire movie.

I think there will be a few inspired shots from Webbbbb as well. It will probably be shot better than most MCU films. As the cinematography in those movies is mostly bland outside of IM, and Cap 2.

I have to wait till May to see it though. Will post honest opinion then.

I watched the first one earlier today. What a confused film.

The Good
-the fight scenes. Spidey moved like spidey, acrobatic and fluid. Good stuff.
-peter/gwen dynamic. Belivable and fun.
-Peter is great in half the scenes. Funny and believably dorky.
-Gwen's good too!
-Cop dad. Him and Gwen are really the only reasonable people in the movie.

The bad
-Peter is a selfish asshole half the time (screaming at uncle ben for no reason, shitting on cpt stacey, letting a dude get robbed over TWO CENTS) and half the time feels like the caring, jokey guy from the comics. There's a sharp divide in how peter acts depending on whether its a funny scene or a dramatic one. I'm gonna blame the director or writers for this.
-tons of exposition no one cares about. All the genetic engineering stuff, the parker parents, the lizard, fuck all of that, it's boring as hell.
-Uncle Ben is an angry dick, so his speeches feel forced and at odds with his mannerisms.
-aunt May did nothing but nag.
-The skateboarding stuff seemed to show that peter wasn't a stickler for the rules...but immediately following the introduction of the skateboard they show that peters an obedient kid. What was the point?

So in general, the movie had way too much boring exposition, but when the characters weren't busy being dumb or pointlessly angry there was fun to be had.

The bad
-Peter is a selfish asshole half the time (screaming at uncle ben for no reason, shitting on cpt stacey

His argument with Ben was understandable. Peter knows nothing about his parents whatsoever and his aunt and uncle do, and they always seem to use that as a crutch against anything "wrong" he does. So he finally breaks down and says yeah okay that's great and all, but where is he, where is my dad? I thought it was reasonable and perfectly acceptable. I would be supremely fucking annoyed if people kept using something against me that I know nothing about. Peter grew up most of his life without his parents and Ben was using that against him. Ben was probably right, but to a 16/17 year old teenager? It's a bit different.

Rootbeer

Banned
:T i'm really getting sick of this trend of blockbuster films from America coming out in Europe first... how is that even fair!

I'll be seeing it opening day... On May 2nd T__T

:T i'm really getting sick of this trend of blockbuster films from America coming out in Europe first... how is that even fair!

I'll be seeing it opening day... On May 2nd T__T

Hey, we had to live through the shit of you getting everything not that long ago. Only seems fair we get a chance

Bishop89

Well, just came back from watching it, loved it. WAYYYYYYYYY better than the first one.

I expected that ending
due to knowing what happens to gwen through the interwebs. Is that how she dies in the comics? Doesn't norman kill her not harry?

also wtf was with the mid/end credits scene?
xmen clip? What the hell does that have to do with spiderman? Fox playing ball with sony? I dunno..
or maybe it was just my cinema (australia)

Well, just came back from watching it, loved it. WAYYYYYYYYY better than the first one.

I expected that ending
due to knowing what happens to gwen through the interwebs. Is that how she dies in the comics? Doesn't norman kill her not harry?

also wtf was with the mid/end credits scene?
xmen clip? What the hell does that have to do with spiderman? Fox playing ball with sony? I dunno..
or maybe it was just my cinema (australia)

You might want to pay a visit to the spoiler thread but yeah,
in the comics Norman dropped her from the George Washington bridge. It was her neck snapping that killed her in the comic but it might have been hitting her head in the film.

As for the X-men teaser, Marc Webb owes Fox a film and apparently they asked Sony to show a teaser for X-Men as a favour. http://variety.com/2014/film/news/the-secret-deal-behind-spider-man-2-plugging-the-x-men-exclusive-1201158216/

Spinluck

So far GAF seems to like it.

"It's better than the first," Is good to hear, not that it's a major accomplishment. But it's nice to know it's more entertaining at least.

Empty

i'd be more inclined to watch this film if the thread title wasn't a joke

will follow reactions as i found the first one pretty likable

Toa TAK

Banned
So far GAF seems to like it.

"It's better than the first," Is good to hear, not that it's a major accomplishment. But it's nice to know it's more entertaining at least.

GAF likes almost everything at first, then it gets nailed to the cross and hung up to dry.
(See: Pacific Rim)

Prompto

Banned
RT rating has dropped to 71% and that's without US critics seeing it. People are guessing it'll drop more. I'm fairly confident though based on the impressions here and elsewhere I'll end up enjoying it.

Spinluck

GAF likes almost everything at first, then it gets nailed to the cross and hung up to dry.
(See: Pacific Rim)

Rises was the biggest 180 I've seen in my time on GAF. We just had a SM3 thread where people pretended that movie was good. So anything is possible.

But you're right, in the TASM OT, a lot of the initial reactions were good. Lol.

But you're right, in the TASM OT, a lot of the initial reactions were good. Lol.

Many seemed to favor the first Amazing Spider-man but there were more than a few stigmas attached to it. Spider-man 3 turned some people off forever, the Sam Raimi fans who just couldn't bare for someone else to make a Spider-man film, the word "reboot" stops some people cold, it was another origin story, people were used to the original cast, and so on. Then you have the nitpicks about Garfield being too old, Peter being a hipster idiot because he enjoys riding skateboards, not nerdy enough, etc. I mean the list goes on and on.

None of the above applied to me whatsoever. There's a plethora of Spider-man in the realm of comics. There isn't just one quintessential Spider-man, so why should Raimi's films be the only movies allowed to exist? And only one of those was great anyway, one being very good and three being a fucking disaster. There's a billion directions to take it in and tons of elements not in the three Raimi films. I don't personally mind getting another reboot film or origin story because style and execution goes a long way toward differentiating things, and I didn't think Amazing Spider-man could have been any more different from the first Raimi film if it tried, short of May turning into Carnage.

There's a lot to do and that can be done with Spider-man and we're simply getting another side of it now in a completely, tonally different style. The first Amazing film wasn't perfect, but neither was Raimi's original. It wasn't until Spider-man 2 that I actually shit my diaper in terms of seeing a terrific Spider-man movie. And then Spider-man 3 completely wrecked that shit for me. I'm not saying it isn't fine to dislike whatever, I had some problems myself; mainly revolving around Lizard, my favorite Spider-man villain growing up but one of the weaker villains in the movies so far-- but it was by no means as horrible as Venom.

Rises was the biggest 180 I've seen in my time on GAF. We just had a SM3 thread where people pretended that movie was good. So anything is possible.

I personally still enjoy ASM more than 2 of the Raimi films, the only one that beats it for me is Spider-Man 2

Caode

I caught a screening of this yesterday afternoon. I had really high hopes going in to it, I'm one of the few among myself and my friends who really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man, thought it was an excellent reboot to the franchise.

Anyway, this is an absolute mess of a film. The pacing is completely off altogether, the entire film is all over the place tonally, there's pretty much no reason for half of the characters in the film to be in there other than to set up a sequel or spin off.

"It's my birthday... time to light some candles" - Electro

Electro is the new Mr Freeze.

I never thought going in that I was about to witness something that would rival the absurdity of Spider-Man 3. It's atrocious.

I would honestly put in league with the likes of.. Green Lantern, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man 3, Batman Forever, Elektra, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and so on.

Blader

I'm not saying it isn't fine to dislike whatever, I had some problems myself; mainly revolving around Lizard, my favorite Spider-man villain growing up but one of the weaker villains in the movies so far-- but it was by no means as horrible as Venom.

I'm a Lizard fan myself and I don't want to sound like I'm delving into hyperbole here, but I thought Lizard (along with Viper or whatever her name was from The Wolverine) were among the worst comic book movie villains since Batman & Robin. Truly.

For one thing, the design was bad. The humanoid face was a huge mistake, regardless of its accuracy to his first appearance in the comics (99% percent of the time he's drawn with the actual snout look), and it's one that the producers have copped to. But the character arc was so weak too, and came off as an undercooked version of Ock's story from SM2. His jump from sympathetic scientist to evil lizard-man that wants to create a world of lizard-people for reasons happened way too fucking quickly. I mean, it's a pretty stupid endgame anyway, but the zero to 60 getting there makes it even worse.

I actually don't think SM3's Venom was THAT bad. I like the idea of Eddie being an evil version of Peter rather than the dumb brute they go for in the comics/cartoon, and the actual design was pretty cool looking. Venom's problem was a severe lack of screentime, whereas Lizard's problem imo was that the arc was all wrong right from conception.

I caught a screening of this yesterday afternoon. I had really high hopes going in to it, I'm one of the few among myself and my friends who really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man, thought it was an excellent reboot to the franchise.

Anyway, this is an absolute mess of a film. The pacing is completely off altogether, the entire film is all over the place tonally, there's pretty much no reason for half of the characters in the film to be in there other than to set up a sequel or spin off.

"It's my birthday... time to light some candles" - Electro

Electro is the new Mr Freeze.

I never thought going in that I was about to witness something that would rival the absurdity of Spider-Man 3. It's atrocious.

I would honestly put in league with the likes of.. Green Lantern, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man 3, Batman Forever, Elektra, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and so on.

Damn first really negative impression we have had on here. Still know I will enjoy it, but this is a bit concerning.

Caode

Damn first really negative impression we have had on here. Still know I will enjoy it, but this is a bit concerning.

The majority of the first half of the film could've been cut entirely, a lot of it is redundant.. the biggest problem with the film is the tone, it doesn't know what kind of film it wants to be. One second it's a serious, dramatic scene the next it's borderline slapstick comedy (I really would not have been surprised if Spider-Man hit Electro in the face with a pie during a fight scene.) Electro is a huge, huge misfire, he's so badly characterized.. this isn't much of a spoiler, only a 'character building' scene very early in the film but,
Max Dillon at one point in his apartment, its' his birthday, is reading a birthday card that he sent to himself from spider-man, all the while prancing about his apartment 'talking' to spider-man about how kind he is to him, and how good friends they are'... which in turns leads to that sure to be infamous line later in the film that Electro utters during a fight scene about lighting some candles
, it's like something out of a Joel Schumacher Batman film.

The majority of the first half of the film could've been cut entirely, a lot of it is redundant.. the biggest problem with the film is the tone, it doesn't know what kind of film it wants to be. One second it's a serious, dramatic scene the next it's borderline slapstick comedy (I really would not have been surprised if Spider-Man hit Electro in the face with a pie during a fight scene.) Electro is a huge, huge misfire, he's so badly characterized.. this isn't much of a spoiler, only a 'character building' scene very early in the film but,
Max Dillon at one point in his apartment, its' his birthday, is reading a birthday card that he sent to himself from spider-man, all the while prancing about his apartment 'talking' to spider-man about how kind he is to him, and how good friends they are'... which in turns leads to that sure to be infamous line later in the film that Electro utters during a fight scene about lighting some candles

I don't really mind shifts in tone, stuff like that is in a bunch of Spider-Man media, may change my mind when I see the film. But what your spoiler tagged sounds cringe worthy lol

Caode

I don't really mind shifts in tone, stuff like that is in a bunch of Spider-Man media, may change my mind when I see the film. But what your spoiler tagged sounds cringe worthy lol

That's just a small tonal example there's so much else wrong in there, and stuff just as, if not more cringe worthy than what I spoiler tagged, it's almost as if there wasn't any comprehensible singular vision going in as to what this film should be.

Spinluck

Many seemed to favor the first Amazing Spider-man but there were more than a few stigmas attached to it. Spider-man 3 turned some people off forever, the Sam Raimi fans who just couldn't bare for someone else to make a Spider-man film, the word "reboot" stops some people cold, it was another origin story, people were used to the original cast, and so on. Then you have the nitpicks about Garfield being too old, Peter being a hipster idiot because he enjoys riding skateboards, not nerdy enough, etc. I mean the list goes on and on.

None of the above applied to me whatsoever. There's a plethora of Spider-man in the realm of comics. There isn't just one quintessential Spider-man, so why should Raimi's films be the only movies allowed to exist? And only one of those was great anyway, one being very good and three being a fucking disaster. There's a billion directions to take it in and tons of elements not in the three Raimi films. I don't personally mind getting another reboot film or origin story because style and execution goes a long way toward differentiating things, and I didn't think Amazing Spider-man could have been any more different from the first Raimi film if it tried, short of May turning into Carnage.

There's a lot to do and that can be done with Spider-man and we're simply getting another side of it now in a completely, tonally different style. The first Amazing film wasn't perfect, but neither was Raimi's original. It wasn't until Spider-man 2 that I actually shit my diaper in terms of seeing a terrific Spider-man movie. And then Spider-man 3 completely wrecked that shit for me. I'm not saying it isn't fine to dislike whatever, I had some problems myself; mainly revolving around Lizard, my favorite Spider-man villain growing up but one of the weaker villains in the movies so far-- but it was by no means as horrible as Venom.

Right, this whole thing will die down once Sony reboots this again in 5 years. I mean, the fanbase will be vocal about about which one they like most, but I think we'll start to become numb to it like the Batman movies. I never really see them argue about which Batman is best anymore. I don't really have an allegiance when it comes to the directors, mostly the character Spider-Man himself. Raimi did good by SM2, and I'm happy with that. I feel like the reason Webb got the job was because Sony can kind of press the buttons when they want. Young director with only one feature film under his belt, there is no way they couldn't get someone more capable- perhaps they eyed him for the romantic stuff. Obviously the film will have his touches, but I don't think he has as much freedom as Raimi did with SM1-SM2 (Raimi never had to deal with the stupid universe building crap). It's kind of concerning for the future of the franchise, especially when you listen to the producers talk about the franchises future. I know producers are supposed to sell and talk up a film, but Jesus lol.

Yeah, it's safe to say they don't know how to build up a villain. The best remedy for this is have them start off bad, while giving us a little insight into why they're the way they are. Instead of having us sympathize with victims of circumstance that turnout to be bad when they gain special abilities. They could have sold Max as a mirror Parker, who is the guy no one sees or pays any mind to, and once he gets powers, he hurts people instead of helping them. I think the best villains aren't the one who wake up in the morning and say, "how can I destroy the world today?" Without any real motive, or reason. Unless you sell them as batshit crazy (Joker), that's always fun to watch.

Blader

That's just a small tonal example there's so much else wrong in there, and stuff just as, if not more cringe worthy than what I spoiler tagged, it's almost as if there wasn't any comprehensible singular vision going in as to what this film should be.

Considering there's a whole "brain trust" working on these movies, there likely isn't much of a singular vision going on other than franchise building and ticking off boxes on a villain checklist.

Caode

Considering there's a whole "brain trust" working on these movies, there likely isn't much of a singular vision going on other than franchise building and ticking off boxes on a villain checklist.

That's pretty much it, this film is more concerned with giving 5 minute cameo's to characters we'll see in sequels and spin offs a few years down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom