• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Featuring Shailene Woodley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

That's just a small tonal example there's so much else wrong in there, and stuff just as, if not more cringe worthy than what I spoiler tagged, it's almost as if there wasn't any comprehensible singular vision going in as to what this film should be.

That sounds about right from all the negative reviews (and even some of the positives I've read). I think I'll still enjoy it for the characterization of the leads (excluding the lead villain), and the action.

I wonder who Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach want to showcase in TASM3. They will probably announce the villain before filming this October, and then we'll find out that there's like 4 more during the actual filming/production. :-(

That's just a small tonal example there's so much else wrong in there, and stuff just as, if not more cringe worthy than what I spoiler tagged, it's almost as if there wasn't any comprehensible singular vision going in as to what this film should be.

Damn, alright then. Guess I have to see it for myself and see how I feel about it. You liking ASM1 has me worried I may have the same reaction you're having to the second one because I liked ASM1 as well.

Caode

Damn, alright then. Guess I have to see it for myself and see how I feel about it. You liking ASM1 has me worried I may have the same reaction you're having to the second one because I liked ASM1 as well.

I hope you enjoy it, if somebody can get something good out of it then that's good, but yeah I did really like ASM1, the only weak point I would argue in regards to that film is some of The Lizard stuff but overall it was a really solid film in my eyes.

I watched this movie one hour ago i think is ok i love spiderman is making jokes right now they are even cringe worthy like the jokes in the comics

I've also seen people that hated the first one liking/loving the sequel.

Opinions will be all over the place just like with most things.

I've also seen people that hated the first one liking/loving the sequel.

Opinions will be all over the place just like with most things.

Yea I know, but just when I think I have an idea of what to expect something comes out that throws me off. Either way I already bought tickets for it on May 1st and I am just as excited to see it as I have ever been.

Yea I know, but just when I think I have an idea of what to expect something comes out that throws me off. Either way I already bought tickets for it on May 1st and I am just as excited to see it as I have ever been.

Impressions seem mostly good so far. Some people didn't like it, but again opinions are going to be all over the place. It's a comic movie. :p

For anyone that's seen it, how was Zimmer's score?

I've been listening to it for nearly two days straight now. I think it's fantastic, has variety, the new themes are great, etc. From where I'm sitting it's vastly superior to Horner's score, although Horner's theme is better than Zimmer's. That being said, Zimmer's new theme is still great and I get that he didn't want to just use another composer's theme. That unfortunately happens, but I understand.

I also like that the two key vocal songs from Alicia Keys and Pharrell Williams were made around Zimmer's themes, so instead of them just being random licensed music to slap on a soundtrack they actually feel like they're part of the film's score, much like the songs at the end of the Lord of the Rings films.

kunonabi

I'm a Lizard fan myself and I don't want to sound like I'm delving into hyperbole here, but I thought Lizard (along with Viper or whatever her name was from The Wolverine) were among the worst comic book movie villains since Batman & Robin. Truly.

For one thing, the design was bad. The humanoid face was a huge mistake, regardless of its accuracy to his first appearance in the comics (99% percent of the time he's drawn with the actual snout look), and it's one that the producers have copped to. But the character arc was so weak too, and came off as an undercooked version of Ock's story from SM2. His jump from sympathetic scientist to evil lizard-man that wants to create a world of lizard-people for reasons happened way too fucking quickly. I mean, it's a pretty stupid endgame anyway, but the zero to 60 getting there makes it even worse.

I actually don't think SM3's Venom was THAT bad. I like the idea of Eddie being an evil version of Peter rather than the dumb brute they go for in the comics/cartoon, and the actual design was pretty cool looking. Venom's problem was a severe lack of screentime, whereas Lizard's problem imo was that the arc was all wrong right from conception.

The sad thing is the Lizard shouldn't have been that hard. If they had kept his family around you could have had Peter trying to help to prevent Connor's kid from losing his father like he did. It would have helped both arcs. His godawful design certainly didn't help matters. At this point I've accepted that Spidey's villains are never going to get the treatment they deserve on film.

Bishop89

Impressions of the movie or did you just hear the score?

short impressions on previous page.

Overall an improvement over the first.

Thought the ending was amazing.

Didnt think the score was strong though, cant even remember any point in the movie where i was sucked into it.

Didnt feel that way with the first trilogy.

Just watched it today and absolutely loved it ! I saw Captain America 2 last week and easily prefer The Amazing Spiderman 2 over it. Keep in mind these are only my opinions so easy.

Spoiler contains details about something during the credits
Anyone else see how they added in a scene from Xmen days of past?

hal9001

Banned
A word of warning. Having been on a media blackout, after I watched the film I decided to watch the trailers and was shocked to see how much they had spoiled. Seriously if you've watched the trailers you pretty much have seen the entire film already.

This "final" trailer is basically a recap of the entire film
it even has the last shot at the end

http://youtu.be/DlM2CWNTQ84

WJD

Toned down my cynicism before going into this and came out having really enjoyed it. It has problems with pacing and overcrowding but the action scenes were great and in terms of a representation of Spider-Man as a character, it was miles ahead of the Raimi films.

Much improved over the first one.

A word of warning. Having been on a media blackout, after I watched the film I decided to watch the trailers and was shocked to see how much they had spoiled. Seriously if you've watched the trailers you pretty much have seen the entire film already.

This "final" trailer is basically a recap of the entire film
it even has the last shot at the end

http://youtu.be/DlM2CWNTQ84

Lol this is the trailer shown before Cap 2 in my theater. Doesn't matter though since I was spoiled the important stuff of this film... That won't stop me from enjoying the film (unless I don't like it).

Son Of D

Why in usa is the movie until may 1st?
Could be piracy related. Get the film out in countries with higher piracy first so that they can't find a copy of the US version online.

Although UK getting an earlier release does seem odd if that was the reason, since a UK version could easily leak online and it will be in English.

Sojgat

Saw this today. The action was good, and whenever Spider-Man was on-screen cracking jokes it was great. Everything else was pretty bad. I mainly blame Orci and Kurtzman. The script was terrible, full of illogical waffling and cliched nonsense.

noah111

Still Alive
Saw this yesterday. Definitely the best Spidey appearance on-screen ever (lots of iconic comic-poses, awesome swinging and action sequences, etc). For that reason alone it's up there. Pacing could have been better as they're cramming so much back-to-back (not even villains-wise, just generally). I also think the SM2 train fight has been topped, with one sequence in particular at the end.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Saw it wednesday. Action was good, story and characters were shit, as expected.
The last few minutes of action were very intense and had me on the edge of my seat, plus plenty of references to various shit so I guess it was worth it.

NotLiquid

The biggest crime that the original TASM committed was that it was a completely boring snoozefest which made it easier to hate. The sequel on the other hand is mostly completely stupid, which makes it better by default because at least that's interesting. They finally got Spider-Man's suit right and the action is as good as it gets (only undermined by stupid lens flares and some weird effects), probably to make up for the lack of action in the last one, and as such is the one good credential that this line of movies can finally take to the books. Also, unlike the original movie, Spider-Man is actually kind of funny in this one.

The script is completely whack (a lot of pacing issues) and the much touted "chemistry" between Peter and Gwen feels like it's just rehashing the stupid romance sub plot in Transformers 2 where the characters spend a lot of time stalling the fuck out of just admitting they love each other (which shouldn't be surprising since the same screenwriters of this movie are responsible for that movie). I think very little of Kirsten Dunst in the original trilogy but in those movies she at least had the decency to be fed up with Peter's indecisive shit. Some scenes here are redundant as hell and I wish they could have just made due with the more subtle scenes where Peter is in his room and contemplating over his photos.

Electro, despite having a pretty dumb motivation, could have been a good tragic villain if he wasn't completely robbed by Green Goblin, who is the worst thing about this movie and feels like a huge afterthought in the context of the movie.

The score was something I actually enjoyed a deal. Spidey had a nice theme, and if there's something I hope this movie, along with The Winter Soldier, can teach Hollywood, it's that not every dramatic action scene needs to be set to a dramatic orchestra. The electronic chops during Electro's fight scenes, alongside the colorful visual aesthetic, made it really feel like a comic book movie.

Aunt May is one of the smaller things I really liked, who finally got some proper screen presence. She hasn't gotten to Rosemary Harris levels yet but the ending of the movie puts her very close.

Overall the movie dragged a ton and the things it does bad it does it worse than it's predecessor. But the good parts were similarly, considerably better than it's predecessor. If I ever want my fill for Spidey action I can see myself rewatching it.

I also think the SM2 train fight has been topped, with one sequence in particular at the end.

If this is even close to true I may be hospitalized.

Seeing a lot of "story is shit" opinions, but for me I feel that way about a lot of action movies, especially superhero films. There's almost always elements that are laughably bad, and even the recently-loved Winter Soldier had some of these elements. I thought the story in it was technically awful, but I thought the situations and action is what made it an extremely good time. Just saying, you could look at the best of the best when it comes to comic films and point out some extremely fucking stupid plot devices and ideas. All three Nolan Batman movies could be pointed out, despite people being mad in love with The Dark Knight. I would also include The Avengers, Batman Begins, Spider-man 2, Dark Knight Rises, and the first Amazing Spider-man as good movies that have ridiculous and downright idiotic story elements.

I'm not saying it's okay, in fact I'm usually bummed that these movies usually have nonsensical story writing, but I'm more of a grand scheme kind of guy. And I'm not defending Amazing Spider-man 2 as I haven't seen it yet so I'm on no grounds to do so. It's merely an observation.

XVvsK3b.jpg

Jesus
Lawdy lawd there's my girl.

Looking forward to seeing in the next week or so based on all the "better than the first film" feedback. I actually quite liked Amazing Spider-Man, too.

Mario007

If this is even close to true I may be hospitalized.

Seeing a lot of "story is shit" opinions, but for me I feel that way about a lot of action movies, especially superhero films. There's almost always elements that are laughably bad, and even the recently-loved Winter Soldier had some of these elements. I thought the story in it was technically awful, but I thought the situations and action is what made it an extremely good time. Just saying, you could look at the best of the best when it comes to comic films and point out some extremely fucking stupid plot devices and ideas. All three Nolan Batman movies could be pointed out, despite people being mad in love with The Dark Knight. I would also include The Avengers, Batman Begins, Spider-man 2, Dark Knight Rises, and the first Amazing Spider-man as good movies that have ridiculous and downright idiotic story elements.

I'm not saying it's okay, in fact I'm usually bummed that these movies usually have nonsensical story writing, but I'm more of a grand scheme kind of guy. And I'm not defending Amazing Spider-man 2 as I haven't seen it yet so I'm on no grounds to do so. It's merely an observation.

I agree with this. I haven't seen a superhero movie with a good and coherent plot since the Nolan Batman films. Even Avengers and IM3, which were loved critically and commercially, had pretty damn whacky story.

NotLiquid

I agree with this. I haven't seen a superhero movie with a good and coherent plot since the Nolan Batman films. Even Avengers and IM3, which were loved critically and commercially, had pretty damn whacky story.

The Nolan films? I'll give you Begins and Dark Knight, but Rises was anything but coherent.

ASM2's story isn't a problem of being wacky because by all means that's what Spider-Man is - it's just all over the place with too many subplots at once to pay attention to, a lot of which feel phoned in and redundant.

Hell I thought all three of Nolan's Batman movies had some pretty shitty narration and pacing. Not overall, and at least not that much in Begins, but I thought TDK crumbled in the last third, and TDKR had a lot more spots of it. But they're still really, really awesome flicks and some of the most well made comic films out there. For me they were pretty perfect until their last thirds, and in all three films they kind of stumble on their crutches a bit.

Especially TDKR which had a number of things that were just bad or goofy to me like
the way Bane goes out, the stupid last minute Talia reveal, Talia's death which is easily the worst acted and shot moment in the entire trilogy
but overall it was pretty sweet.

As for Winter Soldier, I loved the hell out of it, but the whole
following clues to underground bunker revealing an elevator shaft leading down to another hidden bunker that revealed this Kojima-like computer/AI system with the memories or voice or something of that little Nazi dude in the original, then it gets blown the fuck up and they survive, then everyone ends up being Nazi's like those zombies in the new South Park game
felt a bit bizarre. It was ridiculous, but also very amusing and it worked precisely because it was part of a comic/superhero story. I dug it, and the focus was primarily on
Steve and Natasha dealing with it and taking them down and surviving the ordeal while dealing with Bucky
. So it was great, the movie was great, but the story could be criticized for being very goofy and out there.

Blader

Hell I thought all three of Nolan's Batman movies had some pretty shitty narration and pacing. Not overall, and at least not that much in Begins, but I thought TDK crumbled in the last third, and TDKR had a lot more spots of it. But they're still really, really awesome flicks and some of the most well made comic films out there. For me they were pretty perfect until their last thirds, and in all three films they kind of stumble on their crutches a bit.

Especially TDKR which had a number of things that were just bad or goofy to me like
the way Bane goes out, the stupid last minute Talia reveal, Talia's death which is easily the worst acted and shot moment in the entire trilogy
but overall it was pretty sweet.

As for Winter Soldier, I loved the hell out of it, but the whole
following clues to underground bunker revealing an elevator shaft leading down to another hidden bunker that revealed this Kojima-like computer/AI system with the memories or voice or something of that little Nazi dude in the original, then it gets blown the fuck up and they survive, then everyone ends up being Nazi's like those zombies in the new South Park game
felt a bit bizarre. It was ridiculous, but also very amusing and it worked precisely because it was part of a comic/superhero story. I dug it, and the focus was primarily on
Steve and Natasha dealing with it and taking them down and surviving the ordeal while dealing with Bucky
. So it was great, the movie was great, but the story could be criticized for being very goofy and out there.

I think there's a (pretty significant) difference, though, between accepting goofy, pulpy stories as a genre conceit and just flat out badly written scripts. I'd assume that when people are criticizing the script in this movie (or any superhero movie), it's in comparison to other genre flicks and not The Treasure of the Sierra Madre or something, you know? I mean, there are different levels of how well or poorly written a superhero story can be. Just because Batman Begins has its share of cheesy moments or clunky decisions doesn't mean it's on the same level as, say, Elektra.

I think there's a (pretty significant) difference, though, between accepting goofy, pulpy stories as a genre conceit and just flat out badly written scripts. I'd assume that when people are criticizing the script in this movie (or any superhero movie), it's in comparison to other genre flicks and not The Treasure of the Sierra Madre or something, you know? I mean, there are different levels of how well or poorly written a superhero story can be. Just because Batman Begins has its share of cheesy moments or clunky decisions doesn't mean it's on the same level as, say, Elektra.

No doubt and I'm sure there's valid criticisms in the writing department to be had, but I also thought the examples I listed, with maybe an exception to Winter Soldier which was solid, could be penned for sloppy writing. I certainly felt that way about the last 20-30 minutes of The Dark Knight for example.

Spinluck

Sony really scored big hiring these guys to write the 3rd installment huh?

At least the representation of Spider-Man and the action will entertain. They could learn a lesson in focus and direction.

I don't really care about characters they set up just for sequels. Just throwing a bunch of faces in the film just so they can appear in future films is a waste if they aren't contributing to the story much. There are ways to do this, but if it hurts the tone, plot, or flow of the film just cut it out lol.

Certinty

Thinking of going seeing it again.

I didn't like the the whole 'story' behind Electro, but even despite that I felt it was definitely the best Spider-Man movie, and this is coming from someone who hated the first. Would go as far as saying it's the best Marvel movie I've seen in years.

Spinluck

Right, I've heard all sorts of reactions. Varying from as from high as yours, to one guy saying there were parts that were Batman & Robin levels of bad. Not sure when that became the barometer for shit superhero movies, considering Catwoman exist.

RangerX

Banned
Ok just got back from this. It was absoloutly phenomenal. It is without a doubt the most accurate portrayal of Peter Parker/ Spider-man on screen so far. I've been reading spider-man comics for twenty years. The character means an awful lot to me. I always thought Tobey Maguire was a horrible spider-man anyway but Garfield has exceeded all my expectations. He completely captures that innate morality that makes spider-man who he is while also showing that hes a goofy teenager who makes mistakes. One scene in particluar involving Spidey and some bullies nailed it for me.

Electro was really cool and was actually quite menacing and intimidating. DeHaan is an excellant Harry osborn with just the right amount of creepyness but the Star of the show is the relationship between Gwen and Peter. You can feel the chemistry coming from the screen. Theres also one scene with Aunt may that really pulled on my heart strings. Theres a lot of emotion in the film.

The action scenes are mindblowing (power station especially) and it looked like Mark Bagleys Spider-man ripped straight from the pages. Quite literally. Major props goes to whoever handled Spideys movement and webslinging animation.

Personally I would encourage any Spider-man fan to go see this asap as it is without a doubt the best spider-man film so far imo. Yes even better than spider-man 2 which I loved despite Tobey Maguire

...I'm one of the few among myself and my friends who really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man, thought it was an excellent reboot to the franchise.

Anyway, this is an absolute mess of a film. The pacing is completely off altogether, the entire film is all over the place tonally, there's pretty much no reason for half of the characters in the film to be in there other than to set up a sequel or spin off.

You thought Amazing Spider Man was "excellent" and this one was a mess.
<gulp>

DodgerSan

Saw this today. The action was good, and whenever Spider-Man was on-screen cracking jokes it was great. Everything else was pretty bad. I mainly blame Orci and Kurtzman. The script was terrible, full of illogical waffling and cliched nonsense.

Very much this. The effects & action were great, everything else pretty much drivel. And whoever decided
the German scientist and 'jokey' music for Max/Electro were a good idea needs bloody firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom