• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Quieter, but more fun (increased torque makes it a pleasure in regular daily driving, imo). I'm no car reviewer, so I'm a bit lost for words. Try it out really. You won't be disappointed. Personally I think I'm over the whole entry-level luxury car thing. While the new 328 is fun, it's not worth shelling 50k canadian on it. I'll be patient and keep my current car, and hopefully make a significant leap in car class in 4-5 years.

WTF 50K? Damn you guys pay up the ass for cars up there. It should only start at 32K down here. Can Canadians buy cars in America and bring them back?

robox

32k for the 323 or the 328?
i've seen ads in the past that bait you by saying a 3 series is cheaper than a camry. but that's for the absolute base. once you start optioning out, the price raise very very quickly.

a couple years ago, when the cad was stronger than the usd, there was a whole boom in car imports. as long as you were willing to deal with the process, it was hella cheaper than buying from local dealership.

kylej

Banned
Prepping for my vf39 swap right now. Nice stop gap for the ol WRX before an HTA68. Re-tune in two weeks, so excited.

I own a 2006 V6 Accord sedan with 106k miles that I am bored to tears with. I want a manual again. What would be a fun car that I could switch to of equal value (If I can get around 11-12k for my car).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You will never get $11K for a 6 year old Accord that has over 100k miles on it.

$5K at most. Dealers can buy a car like yours at an auction for dirt.

Threi

notag
Have about $4k to burn, my 97 civic is starting show it's age a little (got it for $800 but i'm sure i can sell it for at least double that; i did a lot of work to it).

Since I got my license i've always loved the look of the protege 5. Recently I was looking at the newer Mazda3 sedan but it's very slightly out of my price range.

Protege5 is still a good buy no? I am worried about rust but for the money i think it would be better to get a mint Protege5 rather than a problematic Mazda3, even if it is newer.

Still looking at it a silver Protege5 still makes me weak in the knees.

How is the shifting action on them as well? Only drive manual.

Ahah, just had an awesome moment... so, I've always loved the new Camaro... and it's finally coming to Europe... And here I was, happy about it because the car over there in the US starts at ~$23K, and I figured, accounting for tax on displacement and emissions, it'd probably start at about ~$33-35K over here, and my budget for my new car is ~$40K.

So, just got back from the dealer... and I've never laughed as hard in my life.
Here it goes, the car starts at $125K(~95K€) over here. Amazing. What the fuck is going on, how in the hell does that make any sense? oO

ascii42

Ahah, just had an awesome moment... so, I've always loved the new Camaro... and it's finally coming to Europe... And here I was, happy about it because the car over there in the US starts at ~$23K, and I figured, accounting for tax on displacement and emissions, it'd probably start at about ~$33-35K over here, and my budget for my new car is ~$40K.

Here it goes, the car starts at $125K(~95K€) over here. Amazing. What the fuck is going on, how in the hell does that make any sense? oO
Is that some ridiculous dealer markup? From what I've been able to find online, it should start under 40K€ (which is still a hell of a lot for a V6 Camaro). Try looking on Chevy's website for your country.

Is that some ridiculous dealer markup? From what I've been able to find online, it should start under 40K€. Try looking on Chevy's website for your country.

40K€ is german price. And most of Europe's price. In my shithole of a country, base price is exactly 93500€.
Go Portugal!
I just don't get it... we have the lowest minimum wage out of all the 15 "main" members of the EU, and yet everything is more expensive here. Essentials are cheaper, but everything else is just ridiculously marked up... I mean, just so you'll get how weird it is, was window shopping over at a best-buy equivalent we have here and the Breaking Bad season 3 dvd boxset was priced at ~$65. That's DVD, not bluray. Bluray was almost 90. Lol. One season.

TylerD

I own a 2006 V6 Accord sedan with 106k miles that I am bored to tears with. I want a manual again. What would be a fun car that I could switch to of equal value (If I can get around 11-12k for my car).

Here in Oklahoma if I was selling my 2003 Accord EX V6 sedan (128k) privately I would probably price it around 7500.

I desperately want a manual again too. Saturday we had 78 and sunny with no wind and I was physically aching from not having a sports car to drive and was trying to contact people selling S2000s in the area to get a test drive.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
wamdb9march2012priddy2.jpg

Holy mother of god...

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/aston-martin-db9-spy-shots/med/#photo-4918634/

40K€ is german price. And most of Europe's price. In my shithole of a country, base price is exactly 93500€.
Go Portugal!
I just don't get it... we have the lowest minimum wage out of all the 15 "main" members of the EU, and yet everything is more expensive here. Essentials are cheaper, but everything else is just ridiculously marked up... I mean, just so you'll get how weird it is, was window shopping over at a best-buy equivalent we have here and the Breaking Bad season 3 dvd boxset was priced at ~$65. That's DVD, not bluray. Bluray was almost 90. Lol. One season.

The smaller the market, the higher the prices of luxury goods.

TylerD

Something fishy with the price. $12k for that? From a dealer? Even private party with that many miles it'd go for $13-14k, especially being GPW.

I know, on the site it says 14995 marked down to 11995 which is probably BS. They just responded back to me saying the bolster on driver's seat has been fixed and the front is being worked on as they speak after I asked about the gap where the hood meets the bumper.

I am not against buying long distance as long as I have some help.

I am going to look at a red 2002 s2000 with 63000 and a warranty to 100k for 14600(lol) after work.

TylerD

Polished motor/engine bay? Crooked hood? Crooked tow hook cover?

Front end accident.

Yep! I called them to ask about the softtop and mechanism and they actually told me it was in a minor front end accident when I mentioned the low price and it being GPW. There is no damage to the frame that they can tell and the car is at a body shop right now.

next!

Find a car in SoCal and I'll look at it for you. SoCal S2000's are the best anyways... no salted roads, no extreme heat, lots of S2K enthusiasts.

www.s2ki.com is where you need to be looking, in the Members Cars For Sale subforum.

sfedai0

Banned
The inevitable markup is gonna be stupid. Plus, I'm a bit surprised they would announce a Sti model so soon. Wouldn't that hold back some potential buyers?

Woooow that is insane....

Hey guys,

I'm saving up for a new car and wanted to get your guys' opinion on the one I think I'm going with. I don't know shit about cars but the reviews have been really positive, I'm think I'm going with the Hyundai Genesis. Thoughts?

Also, is it worth paying 1k extra for one year newer model for resale value?

ascii42

Hey guys,

I'm saving up for a new car and wanted to get your guys' opinion on the one I think I'm going with. I don't know shit about cars but the reviews have been really positive, I'm think I'm going with the Hyundai Genesis. Thoughts?

That depends on if there are any changes between models, as well as how long you are going to keep it.

AlphaSnake

Hey guys,

Coupe or Sedan? What is your price range?

And yes, fork over the extra money for a newer model since they usually feature extra amenities and extras, plus it just feels so much nicer knowing you're the first person to ever own the thing. Plus, if you negotiate to get the car at invoice or below, you'll come out the winner.

Coupe or Sedan? What is your price range?

And yes, fork over the extra money for a newer model since they usually feature extra amenities and extras, plus it just feels so much nicer knowing you're the first person to ever own the thing. Plus, if you negotiate to get the car at invoice or below, you'll come out the winner.

Sedan and the invoice seems to be around 32k My step mom's friend has really close connections at a dealership so hopefully I can get the price down a bit. I'm going to go in next weekend to see what kind of deal I can get so I have an idea of how much I need to build my down deposit to. I remembered 2012 was a carryover but I just double checked on differences and it looks like besides all the trim differences, they also upgraded the auto transmission from 6 speed to 8 speed. I'm guessing this would easily make it worth the extra 1k, no?

I plan on just getting the V6 which will be plenty powerful for me. I've only owned older used cars with weak 4.0 cylinder engines so I don't need a V8 to get me excited. It's a 10k price difference for V8 plus insurance would be higher so screw that. The reviews are all positive online but I was curious what you auto gurus thought of this vehicle?

Sedan and the invoice seems to be around 32k My step mom's friend has really close connections at a dealership so hopefully I can get the price down a bit. I'm going to go in next weekend to see what kind of deal I can get so I have an idea of how much I need to build my down deposit to. I remembered 2012 was a carryover but I just double checked on differences and it looks like besides all the trim differences, they also upgraded the auto transmission from 6 speed to 8 speed. I'm guessing this would easily make it worth the extra 1k, no?

I plan on just getting the V6 which will be plenty powerful for me. I've only owned older used cars with weak 4.0 cylinder engines so I don't need a V8 to get me excited. It's a 10k price difference for V8 plus insurance would be higher so screw that. The reviews are all positive online but I was curious what you auto gurus thought of this vehicle?

The V6 is fucking awesome now that they added direction injection. V8 for that car is totally unnecessary.

ascii42

The fuel economy for the 2012 is 19/22/29 while 2011 is 18/21/27. Whether or not it pays for itself depends on how much you drive and how long you own the car, but it'll certainly help.

I plan on keeping this car long term, that's why I chose to go from coupe to sedan in case I start a family. Probably will keep it the better part of 10 years. So sounds like 2012 is the way to go. No one is slamming this car so I take it Auto-GAF approves? I know it's not the sexy expensive sports cars you guys probably normally talk about haha

Zyzyxxz

I plan on keeping this car long term, that's why I chose to go from coupe to sedan in case I start a family. Probably will keep it the better part of 10 years. So sounds like 2012 is the way to go. No one is slamming this car so I take it Auto-GAF approves? I know it's not the sexy expensive sports cars you guys probably normally talk about haha

I think the Genesis is a great value for the price. Considering it costs less than a BMW 328i but much roomier with just as many perks.

I drove the Genesis V8 R-Spec before, thought that was quite fun. For everyday driving though the V6 is good.

I think the Genesis is a great value for the price. Considering it costs less than a BMW 328i but much roomier with just as many perks.

I drove the Genesis V8 R-Spec before, thought that was quite fun. For everyday driving though the V6 is good.

Thanks, I can't wait to test drive it! It's almost pointless though, I've only owned older cars so anything will feel like a massive improvement, I simply don't know better. When I've driven rental cars or cars of friends that have a V6, it revived the sense of fun I haven't experienced since I first started driving. Sad, I know. I'll just look for how much the car is impacted by the road and how quiet everything is. I'll make sure to bring someone with me too.

Stasis

Anyone have an idea of what I could expect to get for a 2007 VW GTI with 65K on it? It's a US car so I'm looking at trading it in for something in NYC/NJ, but I'm in Canada right now. Basically I'm from NY but I live and work in Montreal. I buy/lease cars in the US for all the awesome benefits of doing so but it makes it a little trickier to shop as I have limited time when I drive down to visit family usually. Any dealers I email about pricing in NY won't even give me ballpark, they absolutely have to see it. I just wanna know what to expect, even a little...

It's in good shape. Normal wear & tear for a car it's age... a few paint chips and very small dings here and there, barely noticeable. Same on the inside. No rips, stains, dents, cracks, or mechanical issues. Some curb rash on the wheels though. DSG model with sunroof, 17's. 60K service was done a few months back so everything is up to date and clean on it. Clean record too.

Looking at getting into a coupe of some sort. Weird list I know but I'm considering the 370Z, G37 and Audi A5. I'm not a fan of the new 3-series coupes. I do love the MBenz C250 Coupe, but I'm reading reports of issues with it on Benz forums. I'd prefer a car that's been out over a year and has had it's issues worked out. I've also considered a small SUV (gf talking... we're debating this) so a Q5/GLK350 or something. Not against a Tiguan, but fully optioned out like I'd want it ends up being very close to a base Q5.

Any ideas, recommendations, etc?

I've actually heard quite a few good things about Carmax. You don't even have to buy your next car from them. It might work given your limited time to spend in the States.

Of course, check KBB and Edmunds TMV to find the ballpark of what you will get on trade or private party sale.

J-Rzez

I finished cleaning up my daily Aston Martin cumshot last night.

Seriously, their designers are incredible.

Got my NYIAS tickets, can't wait, especially since there's supposed to be a few unveils there, which will be on AB before the show, but still! lol.

FStop7

Banned

What country are you in? Sweden or the Netherlands, perhaps?

Anyone have an idea of what I could expect to get for a 2007 VW GTI with 65K on it? It's a US car so I'm looking at trading it in for something in NYC/NJ, but I'm in Canada right now. Basically I'm from NY but I live and work in Montreal. I buy/lease cars in the US for all the awesome benefits of doing so but it makes it a little trickier to shop as I have limited time when I drive down to visit family usually. Any dealers I email about pricing in NY won't even give me ballpark, they absolutely have to see it. I just wanna know what to expect, even a little...

It's in good shape. Normal wear & tear for a car it's age... a few paint chips and very small dings here and there, barely noticeable. Same on the inside. No rips, stains, dents, cracks, or mechanical issues. Some curb rash on the wheels though. DSG model with sunroof, 17's. 60K service was done a few months back so everything is up to date and clean on it. Clean record too.

Looking at getting into a coupe of some sort. Weird list I know but I'm considering the 370Z, G37 and Audi A5. I'm not a fan of the new 3-series coupes. I do love the MBenz C250 Coupe, but I'm reading reports of issues with it on Benz forums. I'd prefer a car that's been out over a year and has had it's issues worked out. I've also considered a small SUV (gf talking... we're debating this) so a Q5/GLK350 or something. Not against a Tiguan, but fully optioned out like I'd want it ends up being very close to a base Q5.

Any ideas, recommendations, etc?
The G37 feels fat and not much feed back from the road( it can just be me since the g35 coupe is still one of my favorite looking cars and they messed it up with the g37). Havent try the audi out but out of the list the 370z sounds the best. Maybe look at the genesis coupe friend has one and I think its amazing I'll take it any day over a g37.

AlphaSnake

Without a doubt get the 2012. Best motor, updated exterior, better transmission, and improved fuel economy. The Genesis sedan is a great car.

I'm looking at the skyactive mazda 3 i touring, i can't decide hatch or sedan they claim 40 mpg. I was looking at an 08 model that the dealer listed at 16,900 with 35k miles and they won't let me have it for 14,500. I'm thinking buy new since in five years that 08 will be a ten year old car with ~25 mpg maybe or go new and pray the new guts is well designed.

I test drove an Auto Impreza, i just have to say that transmission still sucks. I currently drive a 93 impreza so i need a new car =(.

New vs Used good idea?

p.s. front wheel drive subie feels like how the mazda 3 drives when it was new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom