• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbeeb

Apparently, the Fisker Nina is a thing.

I have no idea what kind of blob it is, though.

wfiskerninamarch2012priddy1-opt.jpg

looks awesome, pop out headlights are the next big trend IMO.

Though I never really understood the appeal of a tan interior, especially when its ALL tan

h1nch

Speaking of Fisker, my employer showcased the new company car today (given to an employee to drive for a week as a reward)

c2592bd279e811e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

Its a pretty sweet looking car. Really large in person.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
There's at least two Karmas in Palm Beach County. They are huge, but they're classified as subcompacts by the EPA, so none of that largeness translates to the cockpit.

I'd take a Volt, it's twice as efficient for half the price. Or for the same price, I'd take a Tesla Model S.

paskowitz

I am going to the New York International Auto Show as a member of the press. It is unlikely I will get the same access as say, Motor Trend (Although I am working on that). That being said, I will be there asking questions, getting stories, taking pictures and probably sweating in my sport jacket.

If there is anything you want me to ask, someone specific you want me to talk to, a particular car you want pictures of, or just general information you want to know, let me know and next week I will do my best to make it happen.

Try to keep the questions short, simple and mature.

I will come back before the public gates open and share my impressions and hopefully answers to your requests.

Ahah, just had an awesome moment... so, I've always loved the new Camaro... and it's finally coming to Europe... And here I was, happy about it because the car over there in the US starts at ~$23K, and I figured, accounting for tax on displacement and emissions, it'd probably start at about ~$33-35K over here, and my budget for my new car is ~$40K.

So, just got back from the dealer... and I've never laughed as hard in my life.
Here it goes, the car starts at $125K(~95K€) over here. Amazing. What the fuck is going on, how in the hell does that make any sense? oO

Damn! I'll sell you mine for $40k USD. 2SS/RS 6 Speed manual.

Halvie

Banned
Anyone have an idea of what I could expect to get for a 2007 VW GTI with 65K on it? It's a US car so I'm looking at trading it in for something in NYC/NJ, but I'm in Canada right now. Basically I'm from NY but I live and work in Montreal. I buy/lease cars in the US for all the awesome benefits of doing so but it makes it a little trickier to shop as I have limited time when I drive down to visit family usually. Any dealers I email about pricing in NY won't even give me ballpark, they absolutely have to see it. I just wanna know what to expect, even a little...

It's in good shape. Normal wear & tear for a car it's age... a few paint chips and very small dings here and there, barely noticeable. Same on the inside. No rips, stains, dents, cracks, or mechanical issues. Some curb rash on the wheels though. DSG model with sunroof, 17's. 60K service was done a few months back so everything is up to date and clean on it. Clean record too.

check the cam follower? If it hasn't been changed it is probably really close to causing a shit ton of expensive damage. FSI will have a decent amount of carbon buildup with 65k on it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I am going to the New York International Auto Show as a member of the press. It is unlikely I will get the same access as say, Motor Trend (Although I am working on that). That being said, I will be there asking questions, getting stories, taking pictures and probably sweating in my sport jacket.

If there is anything you want me to ask, someone specific you want me to talk to, a particular car you want pictures of, or just general information you want to know, let me know and next week I will do my best to make it happen.

I will come back before the public gates open and share my impressions and hopefully answers to your requests.

Hah. I'll be there too. I'm going on the 4th on Wednesday.

AlphaSnake

check the cam follower? If it hasn't been changed it is probably really close to causing a shit ton of expensive damage. FSI will have a decent amount of carbon buildup with 65k on it.

Correct. Every original 2.0FSI Turbo motor had this issue, including my girlfriend's old 2006 A4.

The cam follower and cam shaft should be replaced together, though. One causes damage to the other overtime.

Stasis

I had them check it when I was last in there yeah. The warranty extension I received covers it and the HPFP and any damage caused by their failure up to 120k/10yrs and is transferable so that's all good.

This car's been pretty much rock solid for me. I haven't had any of the common issues. It's got the rarer blue-tint (vs. standard green-tint) OEM windows too!

J-Rzez

I'm going as well, on the 7th. I'm going to harass some reps myself, but it would help to have more people badger them on some things, maybe they'd slip up lol.

- Subaru: When is the new WRX due, what can we expect from it body style wise?
- Mitsubishi: Evo XI, when is this due, and is it going to become a soulless electric box?
- Ford: When are we going to see the all newly designed Mustang?
- Toyota: Supra MKV plz? Also ask them when they're going to start making sports cars again if they don't say a thing about the MKV Supra. If they say FR-S literally ROFL at them plz.
- Nissan: When is the next-gen GT-R going to be due? Also, ask them about rumors of the Silvia coming back, and to all shores this time.

paskowitz

I'm going as well, on the 7th. I'm going to harass some reps myself, but it would help to have more people badger them on some things, maybe they'd slip up lol.

- Subaru: When is the new WRX due, what can we expect from it body style wise?
- Mitsubishi: Evo XI, when is this due, and is it going to become a soulless electric box?
- Ford: When are we going to see the all newly designed Mustang?
- Toyota: Supra MKV plz? Also ask them when they're going to start making sports cars again if they don't say a thing about the MKV Supra. If they say FR-S literally ROFL at them plz.
- Nissan: When is the next-gen GT-R going to be due? Also, ask them about rumors of the Silvia coming back, and to all shores this time.

I can answer most of those questions right now.

- Next WRX (w/ STi) will be released next year as a 2014 model (maybe this year late in Japan)

- Evo is basically dead. It MAY come back as a hybrid... but last I heard the future of the model is unknown. I would not expect anyone at the autoshow to have an answer to that. Mitsubishi Motors is really in a bad place.

- The Mustang was announced at the 1964 World's Fair. 2014 will be the 50th anniversary of the Mustang. Expect a BIG change to the car 2013 (mid to late) for the 2014 model year. Independent rear suspension, shorter lighter body, more European styling, 370z handling+Mustang power and better engine tech.

- Suboyota/Toyoberu/BreezeFreeze is the best you will get for quite some time. I would not expect anything beyond that model getting improved. BRZ-STi is your best bet. You cannot make a Supra successor in today's world sadly.

- They will most likely not have anything to say at the show. GTRs (Skylines) tend to evolve, not revolutionize each generation. Don't expect any drastic changes for quite some time. I would expect an R32-R33 type jump. Not R34-R35.

- Suboyota/Toyoberu/BreezeFreeze is the best you will get for quite some time. I would not expect anything beyond that model getting improved. BRZ-STi is your best bet. You cannot make a Supra successor in today's world sadly.

Breezefreeze? Catchy, but I prefer putting FR-S and BRZ together as "Fussbus." It doesn't make much sense but you get to say "fussbus" so I think it's allowable.

J-Rzez

I can answer most of those questions right now.

- Next WRX (w/ STi) will be released next year as a 2014 model (maybe this year late in Japan)

- Evo is basically dead. It MAY come back as a hybrid... but last I heard the future of the model is unknown. I would not expect anyone at the autoshow to have an answer to that. Mitsubishi Motors is really in a bad place.

- The Mustang was announced at the 1964 World's Fair. 2014 will be the 50th anniversary of the Mustang. Expect a BIG change to the car 2013 (mid to late) for the 2014 model year. Independent rear suspension, shorter lighter body, more European styling, 370z handling+Mustang power and better engine tech.

- They will most likely not have anything to say at the show. GTRs (Skylines) tend to evolve, not revolutionize each generation. Don't expect any drastic changes for quite some time. I would expect an R32-R33 type jump. Not R34-R35.

Well yes, that's most of the rumble going on in the industry now, but some confirmations or slip ups would be great lol.

What I'm curious on is the new Mustang, will it actually finally see a IRS? What makes you think it'd feature more Euro-styling? Just because of their other cars and leads over there? The Mustang is a different car to them, I think they'd try to keep it mainly designed here. Then again, didn't stop Chevy from having the Camaro designed out of country lol.

I have to ask, why don't you think a Supra successor cannot be done now? I always though they could do a V6 in the 30's that's in the mid/high 300hp range, and then mid/high 40's it could be Turbo'd and feature 450-500hp. Considering you can get 300+hp from a ~20k's car, the rest would be on design and suspension, how couldn't it be done?

coldfoot

Banned
So you totally ignored the fact that you were wrong about the sales of the 370Z having nothing to do with the style of the car and decided to harp on some tongue-in-cheek sarcasm
quasi-troll
I made?
I disagree, the rear end of the 370Z with its sudden slope down and no rear deck screams BMW Z3 coupe levels of ugliness for me. Given how popular is the more expensive G37 coupe and the 3 coupe is, most people agree with me.

Well yes, that's most of the rumble going on in the industry now, but some confirmations or slip ups would be great lol.

What I'm curious on is the new Mustang, will it actually finally see a IRS? What makes you think it'd feature more Euro-styling? Just because of their other cars and leads over there? The Mustang is a different car to them, I think they'd try to keep it mainly designed here. Then again, didn't stop Chevy from having the Camaro designed out of country lol.

I have to ask, why don't you think a Supra successor cannot be done now? I always though they could do a V6 in the 30's that's in the mid/high 300hp range, and then mid/high 40's it could be Turbo'd and feature 450-500hp. Considering you can get 300+hp from a ~20k's car, the rest would be on design and suspension, how couldn't it be done?

The next round of pony cars will all need to be lighter, more efficient, and as a result will inherently be more "euro" on that scale alone. The Fleet standards make the big, thirsty V8 a really tough thing to get past the bean counters, so they will all evolve power from smaller motors, I bet Ford makes the V8 5.0 more "niche" high end and puts an ecoboost V6 at around 350hp as the GT for 2013. the V8 is heavy.

The new mustang as I understood was getting a lot of development in Australia, and you see Ford putting the Mustang up against the M3, not the Camaro/Challenger. IRS is on the table for sure because of platform sharing.

Supra is dead. Toyota will only build a car it will make money on. That name may pop up on some new "sport" hybrid thing...but the Supra of the mid 90s is long gone.

Zyzyxxz

Ford is going all Eco-Boost now for sure with rising CAFE standards.

I'm interested to see if Chevy will actually create two engine sizes for the next Corvette. One for big ole displacement 'Mericans and one for the new age youngins' who don't mind a turbocharged V-6.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Apparently, the Fisker Nina is a thing.

I have no idea what kind of blob it is, though.

wfiskerninamarch2012priddy1-opt.jpg

Speaking of Fisker, my employer showcased the new company car today (given to an employee to drive for a week as a reward)

c2592bd279e811e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

Its a pretty sweet looking car. Really large in person.

I just hope they improve the interior. The Fisker Karma's is extremely well built and luxurious, but also incredibly pedestrian looking in comparison with the car's gorgeous body.

J-Rzez

Why haven't we seen any pictures of the 2013 WRX yet?

Not sure, but i'm hoping for a surprise unveil at the NYIAS, because iirc, they did unveil them there before. Maybe we'll get a concept at least, as we're due for it. The BRZ already established itself for what it is, and it's a totally different car at that, so it's not like it'll steal it's thunder at all.

The next WRX and Mustang are the two cars I'm eagerly awaiting on seeing.

spwolf

what exactly are you looking at? Lots of HP basically, crappy handling? Supra was very un-japanese car, while FR-S is very japanese car. Light car with great handling.

there will be plenty of modified FR-S within 12 months of now, getting weight-to-power ratio larger than most things on the market, with very low entry price and excellent handling.

spwolf

I have been googling ''2013 wrx'' non stop these past few days, with no results. :(

there are no spy shots for 2013 WRX yet... since IMHO, 2012 Impreza is much nicer car than old one, I expect WRX modifications of bulging fenders and spoliers will look even nicer than before.

AlphaSnake

I disagree, the rear end of the 370Z with its sudden slope down and no rear deck screams BMW Z3 coupe levels of ugliness for me. Given how popular is the more expensive G37 coupe and the 3 coupe is, most people agree with me.

Wtf. Are you seriously that dense? Do you know how to compare apples-to-apples? How are you comparing luxury 2+2s to a 2-seater sports car? Sales has nothing to do with preference or popularity. Why don't you understand this?

Those cars sell more because they are heavily incentivized, seeing as how they are in high production volume, on top of being vastly more practical allowing their owners to seat 3 others with them, and offering a full trunk. A 370Z has virtually no lease incentive, and leases for about as much money as a BMW 335i, meanwhile a G37 Coupe leases for far less because of lease residual programs. Then, banks don't like to finance cars like 370Zs at good APRs...and in fact, for the first time in its 4 year availability, Nissan is offering 0% on 370Zs, but only for a few weeks.

Automotive sales are not 1+1=2 like you think they are. Let's do a bit more brushing up.

J-Rzez

what exactly are you looking at? Lots of HP basically, crappy handling? Supra was very un-japanese car, while FR-S is very japanese car. Light car with great handling.

there will be plenty of modified FR-S within 12 months of now, getting weight-to-power ratio larger than most things on the market, with very low entry price and excellent handling.

Why was the Supra a very un-Japanese car? It's as un-Japanese as the GT-R then, because while the Supra wasn't light, it had good power from a 6 (not to mention a disgusting bottom-end), TT, and it actually handled incredibly well in it's time and even by today's standards.

You can make lots of HP while handling well and at a respectable price. Look at the Mustang Boss. I'd like a Supra equivalent with good styling, Targa, and a nicer interior plz. :)

I'll wait on the "86" to see what aftermarket support is there for what I want. I'm going to suspect to make some bigger numbers that there's going to be a need for better internals, considering it has an absurd CR at 12.5:1. Sure, you can throw some low single digit turbo or SC on it, but is it going to handle that? Also, they did a pretty good job limiting tire sizes despite "rolling the fenders". You'll be forced into a stagger, and even then it'll be limited.

Why was the Supra a very un-Japanese car? It's as un-Japanese as the GT-R then, because while the Supra wasn't light, it had good power from a 6 (not to mention a disgusting bottom-end), TT, and it actually handled incredibly well in it's time and even by today's standards.

You can make lots of HP while handling well and at a respectable price. Look at the Mustang Boss. I'd like a Supra equivalent with good styling, Targa, and a nicer interior plz. :)

I'll wait on the "86" to see what aftermarket support is there for what I want. I'm going to suspect to make some bigger numbers that there's going to be a need for better internals, considering it has an absurd CR at 12.5:1. Sure, you can throw some low single digit turbo or SC on it, but is it going to handle that? Also, they did a pretty good job limiting tire sizes despite "rolling the fenders". You'll be forced into a stagger, and even then it'll be limited.

True that. Supra MKIV has INCREDIBLE handling. If I remember correctly, it was pulling 0.98 lateral G's on the skidpad. A lot of people think it's like some muscle-car... nope, those things are awesome on the track. It's just hard to make one handle with 700+ whp. :)

Macattk15

Anyone have any opinions on the 2012 Dodge Charger R/T's? AWD version. My father is buying one. He lives in Upstate NY so a RWD car is basically no good for him. Dunno what to think about it.

He cares not about MPG mind you. He won't buy non-American, he wants a Sedan, he doesn't want a Taurus.

I'm also not asking for "LOLOMG AMERICAN LARGE CARS SUX" .... more like if anyone knows ANYTHING about the car. Dodge has a bad rep with me .... has it gotten any better in the past 10 years? Is it true with their wide revamps of all their Chrysler/Dodge models in 2011 they have gotten a bit better?

spwolf

Supra did the numbers right but it was a heavy pig... It never sold well and it got discontinued due to low sales... then aftermarket found out that 2JZ can be kicked up to 700hp easily and thats when Supra got its cult status.

On the other hand, FR-S is light and handles great with skinny general purpose tires. And whats wrong with staggered setup exactly? Put in some performance tires on it and it will outhandle almost anything.

As to the aftermarket, I wouldnt worry about that. Celica and MR-S had plenty of turbo kits, and FR-S looks to outsell both. Someone already shoehorned IS-F's V8 into it:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/30/well-that-didnt-take-long-v8-powered-toyota-gt-86-drift-car-un/

I had 2004 MR-S that I put custom turbo in, there are so many options with light car to do. Yeah, MR-S was 300lbs-400 lighter but it was 2 seater with 2 airbags and minimal equipment.

MR-S was a beast with a turbo and so light and tossable. I had 300HP AWD car later on and it was quick when you gun it but it was shit on mountain roads where you need light car to toss around, 4000lbs wont cut it.

In FR-S you dont need 500hp to have fun... 200hp will be fun and low boost turbo with 30% more power will make it wild car.

spwolf

Also, GT-86/FR-S/BRZ have a nice interior, with soft touch plastics, leather on all the touching points, etc.

I bet you will like it:
052_o.jpg

:).

More seriously, even european mags liked the interior and they usually hate Toyota interiors.

Supra did the numbers right but it was a heavy pig... It never sold well and it got discontinued due to low sales... then aftermarket found out that 2JZ can be kicked up to 700hp easily and thats when Supra got its cult status.

On the other hand, FR-S is light and handles great with skinny general purpose tires. And whats wrong with staggered setup exactly? Put in some performance tires on it and it will outhandle almost anything.

As to the aftermarket, I wouldnt worry about that. Celica and MR-S had plenty of turbo kits, and FR-S looks to outsell both. Someone already shoehorned IS-F's V8 into it:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/30/well-that-didnt-take-long-v8-powered-toyota-gt-86-drift-car-un/

I had 2004 MR-S that I put custom turbo in, there are so many options with light car to do. Yeah, MR-S was 300lbs-400 lighter but it was 2 seater with 2 airbags and minimal equipment.

MR-S was a beast with a turbo and so light and tossable. I had 300HP AWD car later on and it was quick when you gun it but it was shit on mountain roads where you need light car to toss around, 4000lbs wont cut it.

In FR-S you dont need 500hp to have fun... 200hp will be fun and low boost turbo with 30% more power will make it wild car.

The supra did handle fine....yeah it felt heavy but I wouldn't call the handling bad at all. It handles and brakes good actually for the weight.

I still don't get what makes the FR-S to be a handling beast....

It will handle great, but i doubt it will be top tier.

there are so many cars that will handle better and be faster....

J-Rzez

Well, I'll disagree about the 300hp AWD car thing, because I have an Evo 8 now (I bought new, never replaced it yet, found it hard to), and even though it's not 4000lbs, it's heavy, but more around 400hp. The reason I didn't get rid of it yet is that it feel razor sharp handling wise. It transitions quickly, it's steering is ultra-tight, decent power, it just feels solid. Even stock it would rock that 86. And mountain roads where I live aren't those paved beauties portrayed in Japan, here they're a patched mess, and you can't beat AWD there. Clarkson and Needell once said that these cars maybe the fastest point A-to-B "real world road" cars out there. I have to agree.

I'm sure though with even just 280hp the 86 would give my opinion a run for it's money though.

Supra's kiss of death were new emissions laws. Thus why it still sold overseas for 4 more years after they stopped importing them here in 98. It was kinda expensive for having the Japanese stigma-of-cars back then, and others just didn't know how great of cars they were until too late. Insurance really killed them as well iirc when said companies got out of control with anything stickered "Turbo" on it.

diddles

Banned
Anyone have any opinions on the 2012 Dodge Charger R/T's? AWD version. My father is buying one. He lives in Upstate NY so a RWD car is basically no good for him. Dunno what to think about it.

He cares not about MPG mind you. He won't buy non-American, he wants a Sedan, he doesn't want a Taurus.

I'm also not asking for "LOLOMG AMERICAN LARGE CARS SUX" .... more like if anyone knows ANYTHING about the car. Dodge has a bad rep with me .... has it gotten any better in the past 10 years? Is it true with their wide revamps of all their Chrysler/Dodge models in 2011 they have gotten a bit better?

the new chargers are great cars through and through

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The Charger is a nice enough car according to most sources, but honesty, I still think Dodge/Chrysler stuff is extremely suspect quality wise. Honestly, I don't think they're really close to GM or Ford on anything they do.

I have a fairly recent Dodge truck and it's broken down and required thousands of dollars in engine work a number of times, and the truck has sub 100K miles. It's ridiculous.

AlphaSnake

How is 3200lbs a heavy pig? For its size, it was pretty light.

J-Rzez

How is 3200lbs a heavy pig? For its size, it was pretty light.

To those talking about the 86, 3400lbs is basically saying you're driving a Rig towing a dump truck. Not saying spwolf is one of these people, but Toyota really brainwashed people good over the 86. Many bought up the "pure sports car" marketing schemes they've brewed up. They think the GT-R is just a myth, because how can a car that weighs in that much pull off the handling numbers it does? That Nissan lied and it must actually weigh around 2000lbs.

my favorite Porsche!

I want one as a project car. They're quite cheap and not as overpriced and beaten up as rx7's of that era.

I don't want to give out many details right now, but there will be a glorious adventure of a post if it works out and I will explain what could have been if it doesn't.
oh you tease
*blush*

Also, GT-86/FR-S/BRZ have a nice interior, with soft touch plastics, leather on all the touching points, etc.

I bet you will like it:
052_o.jpg

:).

More seriously, even european mags liked the interior and they usually hate Toyota interiors.
does the girl come with the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom