• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Game of the Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Are you questioning my niceness?

I'm as innocent as Gon.
tenor.gif

DsLRtxDXoAI63Xp.jpg

Probably should have done some qualifying rounds to give more games a chance. And brackets are just not particularly accurate. I’ll still vote though.

It’s Soma btw

the_master

For me, from the list:
1-Witcher 3
2-Destiny
3-FFVII Remake

Missing in the list some of my favorite games of the gen:
1-Hitman trillogy
2-Halo MCC
3-Streets of Rage 4

Honorable mentions:
Bloodborne
Sonic Mania
Super Mario Oddyssey
Ghost of Tsushima
Xcom 2
Nier
Half Life Alyx
Batman VR
Astro bot
Robo Recall
Trackmania Turbo

But yeah, it will probably be Cyberpunk 2077

CitizenX

Banned
Man I love Prey. Such an underrated game. So many great things about it

I think Arkane is exceptional in their level design, maybe the best in the business, but the one thing that fell apart for me in Prey was the story. Everything else was amazing.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
There is a reason its still one of the most played games on Steam, Dying Light is still incredible and the most fun i had in a game that actually felt fresh.

But the real winner is The Witness. Its a piece of art, polished, difficult and the only game i think i have ever played that is worthy of a 10/10.

Also the generation isnt over games for the next 2-3 years will be released on both consoles.

Last edited:
I can't pick. I will say the games I've enjoyed the most that I've played this gen are:

Bloodborne
Fortnite
Destiny 2 (disgusting load times aside)
Resident Evil VII

I have not played some huge titles though like RDR2 or Witcher 3. Also I'll give a shout out to Rocket League for being one of my favorite games of all time for the first month or so when everybody sucked at it. Once everyone got good I got left in the dust and never played it again lol.

Last edited:
Whoah I don't think putting Destiny 2 vs Breath Of The Wild is a good idea. Whichever loses that match up, you're automatically knocking out one of the 10 or so best games of the generation and not giving it a chance.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
All those indie games and no Forza Horizon 3-4. You can't be serious. Also, Assassin's Creed Origins is better than Odyssey.

What will win... Witcher 3 ( i couldn't stand the combat ) vs BOTW ( I prefer it )

On the contrary, Bloodborne will win because this forum is primarily composed of Playstation fans and Dark Souls/Clones fans.

What should win is The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition (PC version; the PS4 port is poor, and the Switch version is abysmal) because it's one of the greatest video games ever made 🤷‍♂️. The fact that the combat doesn't appeal to Dark Souls/Clones fans will influence the final verdict.

Kokoloko85

On the contrary, Bloodborne will win because this forum is primarily composed of Playstation fans and Dark Souls/Clones fans.

What should win is The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition (PC version; the PS4 port is poor, and the Switch version is abysmal) because it's one of the greatest video games ever made 🤷‍♂️. The fact that the combat doesn't appeal to Dark Souls/Clones fans will influence the final verdict.

I guess its just taste. I prefer some other combat types to Bloodbourne and Dark Souls. But the overall game I love. Lore, Story. Challenge. NPC. Bosses. Design. All he hidden and double meanings. And Ive put in the hundreds of hours into it and the chalice dungeon, all 3 ending etc.

Combat wise Id say Sekiro is my favourite this gen or God of War/ DMC5. Melee combat anyway.

I own all 3 witchers and they are great with the 3rd being the best at everything outside the combat. I prefered the combat in Witcher 1 tbh as it was a bit more Star Wars Knights of the Old republic Style. I just didnt like the Batman Arkam combat influence in W3. Ill try again on the PC one day.

But if it wins game of the generation it deserves it

Last edited:

Bkdk

Witcher 3, monster hunter for vanilla, fallout 4 as full package in the end for me because that's the only game I played over 300 hours with modded playthroughs taking up 250+ hours. This gen really sucked for me because extremely moddable open world RPG/Action rpg games go down in numbers compared to last gen.

It's impossible to pick a single game for me so I'll list my top 10 (not ranked) -

Bloodborne
Red Dead Redemption 2
Disco Elysium
Prey
Divinity : Original Sin 2
Hotline Miami
The Witcher 3
Tyranny
Doom 2016
Hollow Night

Honorable Mentions -

Dark Souls 3
Pillars of Eternity 2
Titanfall 2
Return to Obra Dinn
The Last of Us 2

I hope it’s anything other than the Witcher 3 to be honest, tired of the idiocy and circle jerk around that game
Yup, I hated it, people complaining about other story based games having bad gameplay should play this one, I just don't feel it... I got bored about 1 or 2 hours in, never went back, no regrets.

Veysetia

Yup, I hated it, people complaining about other story based games having bad gameplay should play this one, I just don't feel it... I got bored about 1 or 2 hours in, never went back, no regrets.

I love RPG's, and I've made several attempts to get into the Witcher 3, it fails at so many basic levels, which is why it seems like the other common notion with the game is there are a lot of things you "just have to overlook" and then it is "the greatest game in the world" that could literally apply to every game if that's the standard we are using. Meanwhile those same people avoid any of the other great RPG's. It's always really tough to call something the greatest because that implies there is nothing better and specifically with the Witcher 3 most of the people who have played don't seem to play many RPG's or they stop playing RPG's afterward. There can be multiple great games in a generation/genre etc, I don't feel like anything is limited to one, that's why I just don't understand it, I actually started to dislike the fanfare and people around the game more than the game itself.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Was there a nomination period that I missed? Very sad to see my GotG (Pikmin 3) not even qualifies :(.

FunkMiller

I absolutely adore The Witcher 3. It’s one of my favourite games... but, the gameplay experience of Bloodborne is pretty much unparalleled. If a game should be judged by the visceral reaction it gets from the player, then Bloodborne will win this, and deservedly so. It’s incredibly rewarding, addictive, and intent on making you play it better. And the story - obtusely delivered as it is - is probably the single most original video game narrative ever made.

Mine would have to be God of War, but I prefer God of War 3.

I really liked Axiom Verge too... And those ND games...

For driving games, the Wipeout on PS4 (basically a compilation) was very nice and I spent tons of time on it, but I think overall I prefer Forza Horizon 4 (will try 3), so they win that category for me.

Abear21

Banned
This gen isn’t over and a little distance might be a good thing. On the other hand I’m tired of Threads about pricing of the new console and Phil Spencer so let’s do this!!!

RDR2? Yup, RDR2, Okay we’re done here!

Impossible to determine based on personal preference so bracket style works best. Let GO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom