• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Game of the Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Final

Banned
The best doesn't exist.
Because everyone has their personal taste and preferences.

It's like comparing the Shining movie to the Ghostbusters first movie, and saying what's the best.
But then you see that they are films of different genres and with different objectives.

So, speaking of games in this generation, I can say that Final Fantasy XV is definitely my personal game of the generation, and with a narrative universe that I love.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
The Evil Within 2 VS. Nier Automata already has a winner!

Resident Evil 7 VS. Resident Evil 2 is 12 hours to go!

Now you can vote in a new match:

Mozzarella

Should have been a poll of 10 games and thats it, the bracket system will leave out potential top 10 games if they get knocked by a game that will win (Bloodborne)
I would say 95% Bloodborne wins because its obvious that on ResetEra and NeoGAF the game has huge fanbase.
a small chance for upset from Breath of the Wild (BOTW) Zelda. Basically another game with huge fanbase.
Witcher 3 has a lot of haters here, i wouldnt be surprised if it was knocked out in the second or third round.

Veysetia

Should have been a poll of 10 games and thats it, the bracket system will leave out potential top 10 games if they get knocked by a game that will win (Bloodborne)
I would say 95% Bloodborne wins because its obvious that on ResetEra and NeoGAF the game has huge fanbase.
a small chance for upset from Breath of the Wild (BOTW) Zelda. Basically another game with huge fanbase.
Witcher 3 has a lot of haters here, i wouldnt be surprised if it was knocked out in the second or third round.

I agree about the poll, the bracket does give it a March madness kind of feel.

Regarding Witcher 3 As it should be, when you have to preface with “you have to look past X factor and the game is amazing“ you don’t fairly apply that same logic to other games, why does this one get special treatment just because it’s made by CDPR.

Mozzarella

I agree about the poll, the bracket does give it a March madness kind of feel.

Regarding Witcher 3 As it should be, when you have to preface with “you have to look past X factor and the game is amazing“ you don’t fairly apply that same logic to other games, why does this one get special treatment just because it’s made by CDPR.
Every game has flaws, that doesnt matter, what matters is if the game transcends its flaws or not, Witcher 3 for most people did just that, the combat part itself is over-exaggerated as fuck (its decent), and the same goes for controls, other than that there is no big issues for most people.
The game launched with some bugs and glitches but they were not game breaking for the most part, and lots of them got quickly patched, this way CDPR gained the love and trust of gamers around the world, unlike other companies who release their games and then dont give a shit about them or their feedback. After a while people complained about the controls being clunky and too heavy, CDPR also listen to this complain and issued a patch to update the movements and give the player another option called "Alternative Movements" which is another good job by them, as for the combat sure its not excellent combat you find in Devil May Cry or Dark Souls 3 or Monster Hunter, but that game was hyped as a"Open-World story driven RPG" not as a hack and slash like God of War, so people that went into the game expecting very high quality combat are imo just clueless about what they bought. Obviously CDPR cant fix or tweak the combat in the game because that would be too much work and they dont have the time for that given they are working on another game, so what they did basically was improving the gameplay with the DLC release, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine pretty much improved everything about the gameplay from: Tools/Weapons, Boss Fights, Mechanics, variety of builds, monster and difficulty.
With a release of two high quality DLC and with a lot of content and generous price compared to other expansions/dlc they AGAIN gained the respect and the trust of the gaming community.
Also Witcher 3 at first the budget was not as big as other open world titles like Rockstar games for example, so the part of gamers forgiving them for some things is actually reasonable given they WERE small company and it was their first experience in making open world game with this ambition and vision, and i think they succeeded very well with it.

Every game has flaws and the fans of a certain game will overlook a lot of the minor flaws because for them that game transcends them and goes beyond those flaws that for them those flaws dont matter anymore. Its what some people call a game that has a soul, another good example for that kind of game is two well known games: 1- Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl 2- Fallout New Vegas. Two games with a lot of flaws technical flaws and bugs but they are still loved to this day, and for a good reason, there are many other games like that as well, but you get the idea.
Saying you cant call Witcher 3 is your choice for game of the generation because of arbitrary scale for flaws is very ignorant. It was never about being flawless in the first place, its about the whole overall experience and what impact did it have on you and on the industry as a whole and to that i would say Witcher 3 has a solid foundation. I could list at least 10 reasons for why it could be game of the generation that would be hard for a lot of other games to compete with. In fact i already did that somewhere else when i wrote about it, but i will keep this from being too long.

brian0057

Banned
Alien: Isolation.
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
Resident Evil 2.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Cuphead.
HITMAN 1 and 2.
XCOM 2.
Sniper Elite III and IV.

.Pennywise

Banned
Resident Evil 2 Remake wins over Resident Evil 7!

Monster Hunter World is winning against Assassin's Creed Odyssey (some hours left)

Now you can vote in the new matches!

.Pennywise

Banned
Question, I'll post it in both these threads why did you decide to do this in a bracket and not just a larger poll like the GOTY threads?

I'm just looking at the bracket, and there's a couple of games in there that have tough matches in the first or second round that could do better in the another format (TLOU2 vs P5 and Bloodborne vs Sekiro come to mind). It's not really voting for your overall game of the gen, rather it's just about the individual matches.

For example...

Strategize Strategize

A Poll doesn't allow for such quantity of options. Plus, in a Poll you're just voting for 1 game, and everything else is out. It's a 1 win, all other lose situation.

Take a look at my poll of Most Overrated Game. People would ask for more options, or even beign able to vote for their favorite ones.

About the brackets, you've just answered yourself. It's impossible to organize a bracket with such a quantity of games to be abosultely balanced (some might face tougher matches, some easier, some more balanced, some totally different genres, etc). Let's say I just split the games differently, then juggernauts like RDR2 and TW3 could face each other just in the second round (random example).

And yes, it's voting on individual matches, but doesn't mean you can't vote for your favorite game. In fact, you can vote for your favorite game everytime it has a match.

Decent list but it is missing Total War Warhammer.
I know. There was in the brackets a Total War Warhammer 2, CIV 6, Forza Horizon 4, etc etc. Thing is, this is a pretty massive list (64 games!). And there will always be people who want their favorite game in there, even if it's not going past through 1st round.

Yeah, I could have made a larger list, but take in mind the time it would take to finish.

Last edited:

Strategize

A Poll doesn't allow for such quantity of options. Plus, in a Poll you're just voting for 1 game, and everything else is out. It's a 1 win, all other lose situation.

Take a look at my poll of Most Overrated Game. People would ask for more options, or even beign able to vote for their favorite ones.

About the brackets, you've just answered yourself. It's impossible to organize a bracket with such a quantity of games to be abosultely balanced (some might face tougher matches, some easier, some more balanced, some totally different genres, etc). Let's say I just split the games differently, then juggernauts like RDR2 and TW3 could face each other just in the second round (random example).

And yes, it's voting on individual matches, but doesn't mean you can't vote for your favorite game. In fact, you can vote for your favorite game everytime it has a match.
This makes no sense. If that's the case then you do a point rank system, like the GOTY threads here and on ERA. Your 1st gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9. etc etc

Brackets aren't good because it's people giving their opinion on the matchups regardless or not if it factors into their overall GOTG. So if it's a more divisive game like TLOU2 for example, then how many will just vote against that rather than just be simply voting out of like for the other option.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
This makes no sense. If that's the case then you do a point rank system, like the GOTY threads here and on ERA. Your 1st gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9. etc etc

Brackets aren't good because it's people giving their opinion on the matchups regardless or not if it factors into their overall GOTG. So if it's a more divisive game like TLOU2 for example, then how many will just vote against that rather than just be simply voting out of like for the other option.
It's ok if you don't like it. I know people will have their opinions, some will hate certain matches, some will love, and others won't like the results, it's ok.

Bear in mind, this is not official. It's for fun. Just some competition and to spark some cool discussions.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I know this sounds naive but I honestly hope I haven't beaten my game of the generation yet. I still have to beat RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, Ghost of Tsushima, and Death Stranding, for instance.

From the ones listed though (that I've beaten), it's a toss up between Sekiro, Bloodborne, and BotW.

Lastly, why no Diablo III? That would be one of my "GOTG SO FAR" picks, too.

.Pennywise

Banned
I know this sounds naive but I honestly hope I haven't beaten my game of the generation yet. I still have to beat RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, Ghost of Tsushima, and Death Stranding, for instance.

From the ones listed though (that I've beaten), it's a toss up between Sekiro, Bloodborne, and BotW.

Lastly, why no Diablo III? That would be one of my "GOTG SO FAR" picks, too.
If you haven't play Alyx, then you didn't beat your GOTG yet 😁

To be honest wouldn't put Diablo III as one of the best games of the generation even after RoS that made the game more viable.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If you haven't play Alyx, then you didn't beat your GOTG yet 😁

To be honest wouldn't put Diablo III as one of the best games of the generation even after RoS that made the game more viable.
I've sunk 100s of hours into D3. I'm pragmatic. If I invest more than 100 hours into a game, it's for a reason. 🤷‍♀️

Joyful

for multi i will say Rainbow Six Siege is pretty easy pick for me
single player is a much harder pick. I havent been too impressed with a game since undertale tbh. Well maybe Prey
i still need to play a bunch of games sadly. simply too saturated a market now, its impossible to keep up even when i dont have a job

GonSama

God of War, Uncharted 4, TLOU2, Yakuza 0, Persona 5 Royal, Bloodborne, Ghost of Tsushima... so many amazing games. Simply can't choose one.

Boss Mog

I wouldn't mind something like this if it was done right but this bracket is beyond ridiculous. There should've been seeds based on metacritic scores. Having TLOU2 vs Persona 5, two of the best reviewed games this generation, in the first round is stupid. Also pitting games of the same franchise against each other in the first round for no reason. Some of the omissions and games present make no sense either. I'm not trying to be mean OP but this wasn't the way to do this and you should've sought feedback from the community when attempting this.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I wouldn't mind something like this if it was done right but this bracket is beyond ridiculous. There should've been seeds based on metacritic scores. Having TLOU2 vs Persona 5, two of the best reviewed games this generation, in the first round is stupid. Also pitting games of the same franchise against each other in the first round for no reason. Some of the omissions and games present make no sense either. I'm not trying to be mean OP but this wasn't the way to do this and you should've sought feedback from the community when attempting this.
200.gif

Maybe the true goal was to start a chaos?
tenor.gif

.Pennywise

Banned
Go to God of War vs Outer Wilds thread.
People is complaining because the match is unfair.
Now if you go to P5 vs TLOU2 thread, you'll find people complaining because it's too balanced of a match up this early in the brackets.

About that, I've already spoken to another member who asked why it was arranged that way. I've already answered: there are a lot of games, even games that didn't make it so the list could be even bigger.

There are tougher and easier matchups all throughout the brackets, and it'll get tougher as the tournament goes on.

Again, let's say I arrange it other way, you'll have juggernauts like TW3 and RDR2 facing each other just in the second round (random example).

Again, as I say to all the others that don't like it, don't get mad, it's just a fun tournament for people to participate and spark some cool discussions.

Last edited:
Lemme guess, a Playstation exclusive will win somehow on this forum.

The best game of this generation was The Witcher 3. Hands down.

I SAID HANDS DOWN!

I can already tell you - and i am willing to bet my left nut on this - that in the end, it'll be a close shave between The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne. Who might win?

It can go either way. The forum is indeed home to a vast amount of Sony/Playstation (4 and up mostly) enthusiasts, and the 2015 wound, allthough closed, still stings them a bit. They'll go hard on this one. But, The Witcher 3's phenomenal reach can't be understated. So i honestly have no idea, and am not prepared to make a safe bet.

.Pennywise

Banned
Monster Hunter World dominates over AC:Odyssey!

TLOU2 vs. P5 keeps going for one day more! The most disputed match at date!

Now you can vote in the next matches!

Reactions: MrS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom