• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best universities in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
A link to the CWUR, where you can find the full list.

A link to the article.

The Center for World University Ranking (CWUR) released its annual rankings of the 1000 best universities of the world by judging the quality of education and skills developed by students and also identifying the stature of the faculty members and the quality of their research. The rankings were based on eight parameters: Quality of Education, Alumni Employment and Quality of Faculty each contribute 25 per cent to the overall score, while, Publications, Influence, Citations, Broad Impact and Patents each contribute 5 per cent.

Methodology

The Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) publishes the only global university ranking that measures the quality of education and training of students as well as the prestige of the faculty members and the quality of their research without relying on surveys and university data submissions.

CWUR uses eight objective and robust indicators to rank the world's top 1000 universities:

1) Quality of Education, measured by the number of a university's alumni who have won major international awards, prizes, and medals relative to the university's size [25%]
2) Alumni Employment, measured by the number of a university's alumni who have held CEO positions at the world's top companies relative to the university's size [25%]
3) Quality of Faculty, measured by the number of academics who have won major international awards, prizes, and medals [25%]
4) Publications, measured by the number of research papers appearing in reputable journals [5%]
5) Influence, measured by the number of research papers appearing in highly-influential journals [5%]
6) Citations, measured by the number of highly-cited research papers [5%]
7) Broad Impact, measured by the university's h-index [5%]
8) Patents, measured by the number of international patent filings [5%]

Top 100 (out of 1000):

1 Harvard University, USA
2 Stanford University, USA
3 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
4 University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 University of Oxford, United Kingdom
6 Columbia University, USA
7 University of California, Berkeley, USA
8 University of Chicago, USA
9 Princeton University, USA
10 Yale University, USA
11 California Institute of Technology, USA
12 Cornell University, USA
13 University of Tokyo, Japan
14 University of Pennsylvania, USA
15 University of California, Los Angeles, USA
16 Johns Hopkins University, USA
17 University of California, San Diego, USA
18 University of California, San Francisco, USA
19 University of Michigan, USA
20 Kyoto University, Japan
21 Northwestern University, USA
22 New York University, USA
23 Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland
24 Seoul National University, South Korea
25 University of Wisconsin–Madison, USA
26 Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
27 University of Washington, USA
28 Rockefeller University, USA
29 Duke University, USA
30 University of Toronto, Canada
31 University College London, United Kingdom
32 University of Texas at Austin, USA
33 Keio University, Japan
34 University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, USA
35 Imperial College London, United Kingdom
36 École Polytechnique, France
37 Waseda University, Japan
38 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
39 École normale supérieure - Paris, France
40 University of Virginia, USA
41 Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
42 McGill University, Canada
43 Rutgers University, USA
44 University of Southern California, USA
45 University of Minnesota, USA
46 Ohio State University, USA
47 University of Pittsburgh, USA
48 Osaka University, Japan
49 University of California, Davis, USA
50 Dartmouth College, USA
51 Washington University in St. Louis, USA
52 Pennsylvania State University, USA
53 National Taiwan University, Taiwan
54 Pierre-and-Marie-Curie University, France
55 University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
56 Purdue University, USA
57 University of British Columbia, Canada
58 University of California, Santa Barbara, USA
59 University of Florida, USA
60 Peking University, China
61 University of Manchester, United Kingdom
62 Boston University, USA
63 National University of Singapore, Singapore
64 University of Paris-Sud, France
65 University of Colorado Boulder, USA
66 University of Utah, USA
67 Carnegie Mellon University, USA
68 University of Maryland, College Park, USA
69 University of Copenhagen, Denmark
70 Karolinska Institute, Sweden
71 Vanderbilt University, USA
72 University of Rochester, USA
73 University of Arizona, USA
74 Tsinghua University,China
75 University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, USA
76 Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany
77 Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia
78 Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
79 Emory University, USA
80 University of Geneva, Switzerland
81 Tel Aviv University, Israel
82 Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg, Germany
83 Utrecht University, Netherlands
84 Tohoku University, Japan
85 University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, USA
86 Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
87 Brown University, USA
88 University of California, Irvine, USA
89 University of Melbourne, Australia
90 Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
91 Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands
92 King's College London, United Kingdom
93 University of Zurich, Switzerland
94 University of Notre Dame, USA
95 University of Sydney, Australia
96 Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, Switzerland
97 Tufts University, USA
98 Texas A&M University, USA
99 University of Queensland, Australia
100 University of Oslo, Norway

Damn, well done University of California, populates like 10% (EDIT: didn't do the ACTUAL math) of this list across its various campuses.

I'm from Colorado. Only CU Boulder on this list, eh? And all the way at 65. At least it's on the list, I guess.

kavanf1

My (former) university is 545, bah. That's what they get for not charging tens of thousands for degrees.

The quality of American schools is a contributor to why the US will remain the dominant nation in science and technology. The US is where the brains drain. The best and brightest of foreign nationals come to the US to go to college. Some go back, but more stay.

My (former) university is 545, bah. That's what they get for not charging tens of thousands for degrees.
Most of those top American schools have free tuition for mid to low income students (something like under $150k a year I believe) who get accepted.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Universities in the top 100 by country:

USA - 55
United Kingdom - 7
Japan - 6
France - 4
Switzerland - 4
Australia - 3
Canada - 3
Israel - 3
China - 2
Germany - 2
Netherlands - 2
Belgium - 1
Denmark - 1
Italy - 1
Norway - 1
Russia - 1
Singapore - 1
South Korea - 1
Sweden - 1
Taiwan - 1

My university is 137th, but at least we're 52nd in "Quality of Education".

EGM1966

The quality of American schools is a contributor to why the US will remain the dominant nation in science and technology. The US is where the brains drain. The best and brightest of foreign nationals come to the US to go to college. Some go back, but more stay.

Most of those top American schools have free tuition for mid to low income students (something like under $150k a year I believe) who get accepted.
Looking at this with friends who went to Harvard (smart nuggets) our view was it was employment that's the skew not quality (in that while the quality is excellent you can get as good elsewhere). But... US employment options (a big 25% factor here) is better hence the lure/desire to head to US vs other countries where you'll be as well educated but won't get the same employment chances.

Agree though this combination of good quality with high rewards gives US a clear edge.

Hoo-doo

Banned

All those brains, yet still over 40% of the population is seemingly willing to vote for Trump to be commander-in-chief. It balances out nicely.

That said, i'm actually going to spend 6 months at Harvard for research relatively soon and i'm pretty excited to be at such a world-class institution.

boiled goose

good with gravy
That Alumni employment methodology is way way off.

Yeah. Focusing on ceo only is strange.

That said, my alma maters all top 10. 8)

All those brains, yet still over 40% of the population is seemingly willing to vote for Trump to be commander-in-chief. It balances out nicely.

That said, i'm actually going to spend 6 months at Harvard for research relatively soon and i'm pretty excited to be at such a world-class institution.

Trump's best demographic is uneducated (non college) whites.

There are incentives for the GOP to constantly cut funding for education.

Xe4

Banned
US dominates but lol @ student loans.
Actually, the top colleges are usually pretty cheap assuming you are a hard worker and not rich. They have huge Alumni funds and it actually helps them to fund students. Upper middle class students are the ones who get screwed.

boiled goose

good with gravy
US dominates but lol @ student loans.

Top universities like ivys mit Stanford have great financial aid and alumni endorsements. Also you are more likely to get a good job after graduation. Not much of an issue here.

The issue with education in America is not how good the top is (best in the world by far) but how bad the bottom is.

cheezcake

117 for UNSW. Weird that our alumni employment metric is so high, but fitting that our education score is low. The lecturing in electrical engineering here is a joke.

entremet

Actually, the top colleges are usually pretty cheap assuming you are a hard worker and not rich. They have huge Alumni funds and it actually helps them to fund students. Upper middle class students are the ones who get screwed.

My Alma mater is at 59 and I didn't pay a dime. ;)

Go Gators!
Yeah. But seats are still limited, especially for top schools. The average student loan bill is still very high.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
to me Indian Institute of Technology has to be on top 5. And its not even in the whole list. Seems very US centric list.

All the big tech companies goes to IIT to hire students.

gillty

Banned
Yeah, okay.

screenshot2016-08-04awbkqx.png

Kamaji

That Alumni employment methodology is way way off.
It's apparently based on CEO:s in the world's largest 2000 companies. So obviously a metric that will be very skewed to countries with a lot of such headquarters and will be highly irrelevant to 99% of all students at the universities in question.

Edit: Late.

Leopold

327 Federal University of Rio de Janeiro

358 Ben-Gurion University of the Negev

Well, never wanted to be a CEO anyway (time to think on a Post-Doc @Hebrew University).

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I think this is obviously skewed for US universities. I mean, it is pretty obvious that the US gives out more academic awards and prizes since they have the richest universities in the world, and of course since they are the richest country in the world, they will have the most number of alumni who are ceos of global corporations. Wouldnt be so bad if these are weighed less, but this 2 are weighed 50 percent of the total.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at this with friends who went to Harvard (smart nuggets) our view was it was employment that's the skew not quality (in that while the quality is excellent you can get as good elsewhere). But... US employment options (a big 25% factor here) is better hence the lure/desire to head to US vs other countries where you'll be as well educated but won't get the same employment chances.

Agree though this combination of good quality with high rewards gives US a clear edge.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I have a lot of friends from Oxford who could probably actually get at least equivalent quality courses etc. if not better by staying at Oxford or going to Cambridge, but nevertheless go to the US because academic salary and advancement options are so much better. US academia pays great compared to everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom