• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best universities in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think that beeing a CEO is the thing people want when they go to university in Germany. So that ranking is bullshit.

The Lamp

US dominates but lol @ student loans.

Yeah. It's not an excuse for student loans, but when omeone says "I can go study in Europe for free!" there's always the fact the diploma is not as powerful as most American diplomas, especially in this delicate job market.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeah. It's not an excuse for student loans, but someone says "I can go study in Europe for free!" There's always the fact the diploma is not as powerful as most American diplomas, especially in this delicate job market.
Not as powerful as most? Seems more like not as powerful as some, no?

Yeah. It's not an excuse for student loans, but when omeone says "I can go study in Europe for free!" there's always the fact the diploma is not as powerful as most American diplomas, especially in this delicate job market.

well you would automatically also have language skills, for whatever that is worth in america.
All i know is that Europeans can study at #76 free of charge.

living is expensive in munich though

Nabbis

It also depends on which school you're going to in Europe, there are some very bad ones and some excellent ones there too.

Meh, it's all highly nuanced. Take Helsinki for example, where i am now. It's ranked as 107 but i know for a fact that there's little to no actual difference in the medical faculty between this place and Oulu(which is ranked 424) and degrees from both are worth the same in both law and the job market in Finland.

jmdajr

Fuck Yeah

giphy.gif

Judging by the methodology, it looks like universities are basically only ranked on the few shinning stars that come out of them. They're pretty much coat-tail riding. It would be like creating a 'wealthiest country' index based on the top 10 wealthiest people from each country.
don't ask how my school ranked :(

daxy

When over half of the indices are based on renown, publications, citations, and influence it's not measuring quality of education but how well it looks on your resume, while being biased toward the English/US universities because most scientific journals are in English.

Norml

Universities in the top 100 by country:

USA - 55
United Kingdom - 7
Japan - 6
France - 4
Switzerland - 4
Australia - 3
Canada - 3
Israel - 3
China - 2
Germany - 2
Netherlands - 2
Belgium - 1
Denmark - 1
Italy - 1
Norway - 1
Russia - 1
Singapore - 1
South Korea - 1
Sweden - 1
Taiwan - 1

My university is 137th, but at least we're 52nd in "Quality of Education".

Does the rest of the world even try?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
White.. sausage.. breakfast?

I don't know what that is to be honest but i'm certainly intrigued.

1d4903-1470319815.jpg

We had it every Friday at University. You gather with friends and enjoy a fresh Weiswurst or two with a glass of Weißbier.
Funny thing is, at BMW, where i work now, this tradition is kept alive.
They serve this, minus the beer, friday morning at the mensa. Lot's of people go a step further and block meeting rooms and cook their own WW for their team to enjoy.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Grinchy

Banned
I got a degree from #46, and if it's supposed to be one of the best universities in the world, I feel really bad for the rest of the world.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
My school, Cal State Northridge, sadly didn't make the list. :(

On the other hand, I did get accepted to UCLA at one point. So I can still brag about that, right? :D

edit: CSUN didn't even make the top 1,000?? GODDAMN IT. My school SUCKS. :/

Undergrad school is unranked.
Graduate school is a top 40.
Post-doc school is a top 20.

STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE HERE!

Time to get that professorship at a top 10 school, yeah?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
How the hell is UC Davis so high up and Irvine so far down?? The former is a fricken farm school, for godsakes!

spekkeh

Banned
The hell is CWUR?

Do we really need yet another university ranking? I guess this one at least isn't done to prop up their own universities given how low the Saudi Arabia ones score.

numble

Damn it, now I don't know who to believe. You both present compelling arguments.

Even the university's with the most generous financial aid do not have a $150k threshold. And it definitely is not free tuition.

Here is Stanford, and most of the generous schools follow the same model:
http://financialaid.stanford.edu/undergrad/how/index.html

If your family income is at $150,000, you're expected to pay $25,286 per year, or about $100,000 for the 4 years.

The most generous threshold is if your family income is below $65,000, and you are still expected to pay $4,646/year, or around $20,000 total.

Yale: $65,000 threshold, student is expected to work a job during the year and/or summer
http://finaid.yale.edu/costs-affordability/affordability

Draxal

There are some weird things on the list (the high ranking of UCSF, which is an extremely good medical school and not much else; Cambridge above Oxford; the extremely low ranking of National University of Singapore; Cornell ranked a little too high; Duke a little low, Sciences Pol not being one of the French schools represented, etc.) that I think are a product of the rankings incentivizing CEOs and Engineers who patent over other things, but generally this list is somewhat consistent with other lists.

I think this kind of thing also makes people super defensive about the school they're at, as evidenced from the sour grapes in the thread. Hahaha.

There's really no fair way to this list. It's a research dominated list, and of course America was going to dominate, the US spends a ton of money on research/federal grants to these universities. And I love this metric, because it ranks my alma mater extremely high compared to other lists more focused on the undergraduate experience (but the same as other research focused metrics).

The methodology is pretty bad...

A good amount of Presidents care about research and prestige, so the methodology is good for what Presidents want, but not what undergrads want.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Columbia eclipsing NYU is a surprise to me. In most of the fields I follow, I'd reverse that ranking.

How the hell is UC Davis so high up and Irvine so far down?? The former is a fricken farm school, for godsakes!

davis and irvine are both minor satellite campuses in the uc system. surely they're not merced, but nor are they cal / ucla / ucsd *shrug*

kavanf1

Even the university's with the most generous financial aid do not have a $150k threshold. And it definitely is not free tuition.

Here is Stanford, and most of the generous schools follow the same model:
http://financialaid.stanford.edu/undergrad/how/index.html

If your family income is at $150,000, you're expected to pay $25,286 per year, or about $100,000 for the 4 years.

The most generous threshold is if your family income is below $65,000, and you are still expected to pay $4,646/year, or around $20,000 total.

Yale: $65,000 threshold, student is expected to work a job during the year and/or summer
http://finaid.yale.edu/costs-affordability/affordability

Holy crap. At the time I never appreciated how fortunate I was to get my degree without having to pay a penny.

Draxal

Going to cross post this into CFB gaf later.

Big Ten
19 Michigan
21 Northwestern
25 Wisc - Madison
34 Illinois - Champagne
43 Rutgers
45 Minnesota
46 Ohio State
52 Penn State
56 Purdue
68 Maryland - CP
106 Michigan State
123 Indiana - Bloomington
125 Iowa
322 Nebraska - Lincoln

2015-2016 changes.

NW jumped from 22 to 21. Illinois dropped from 33 to 34. Rutgers jumped from 50 to 43 (med school integration) Minnesota jumped from 48 to 43. Ohio state jumped from 49 to 46. Penn state dropped from 47 to 52. Purdue dropped from 43 to 56. Maryland jumped from 72 to 68. Michigan State from 118 to to 106. Indiana dropped from 106 to 123. Iowa jumped from 141 to 125. Nebraska dropped 314 to 322.

1d4903-1470319815.jpg

We had it every Friday at University. You gather with friends and enjoy a fresh Weiswurst or two with a glass of Weißbier.
Funny thing is, at BMW, where i work now, this tradition is kept alive.
They serve this, minus the beer, friday morning at the mensa. Lot's of people go a step further and block meeting rooms and cook their own WW for their team to enjoy.

Sorry for the thread derail.

oh a true bayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom