• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

Ugh screw this game.

I just got games like Salt & Sanctuary, Hyper Light Drifter, and Assetto Corsa through the Steam sale. I'm still playing through the Last Guardian. Playing through the Ace Attorney trilogy on 3DS...

None of that will matter because I'm going to buy Afterbirth+ and probably play this damn game 3 hours per day and nothing else. I have to be pushing close to 600 hours between all versions of BOI (my Steam wasn't recording play time for the original properly was stuck at 51 minutes for months once). Just pump this into my veins!

You and me both bud.
nMGGg58.jpg

HOLY SHIT! April's fool challenge will fuck your shit up.... And I DON'T MEAN IT IN A BAD WAY! It's a pretty fun challenge! Kudos Edmund

Qwyjibo

Isaac is just the perfect game to sit down and completely lose yourself in that chase for achievements/items. After the first few runs, I don't listen to the in-game music (but I keep the sound effects on) and I either throw on my own music or listen to a podcast while playing for hours.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Well the game refuses to read my SteamCloud save file. I have ab_persistentgamedata3.dat in the 'remote' folder dated Oct 30, 2015 but it's ignoring it.

The Import Rebirth option fails to load anything.

Fucking hell.

Edit: Okay, found out that if you press Alt + F2 in the Stats screen it will unlock secrets based off of your Steam achievements. Not completely terrible...

Meia

Yep, the victory lap doesn't give you credit for then killing other shit, but it looks like if you go to
mega satan in Sheol at least, you still get the option to go to the new Void level after the fight(though this was on victory lap, so it *could* be different).

Althane

Well the game refuses to read my SteamCloud save file. I have ab_persistentgamedata3.dat in the 'remote' folder dated Oct 30, 2015 but it's ignoring it.

The Import Rebirth option fails to load anything.

Fucking hell.

Edit: Okay, found out that if you press Alt + F2 in the Stats screen it will unlock secrets based off of your Steam achievements. Not completely terrible...

You are amazing.

Thank you.

Is there supposed to be a new character that's totally invisible? Or is my download just corrupted?

I didn't really like the new characters in AB, but I love the item that the new guy starts with. Very impressive and interesting.

The new character should not be invisible, I'd verify your game or uninstall/reinstall.

AoM

Yea achievements on Steam seem to be visually borked. I unlocked stuff just fine though.

Any tips for getting them to pop? I already uninstalled and reinstalled.

Edit: Someone posted the fix on reddit. To anyone having the same problem, go to your secrets page. The achievements should pop.

Well Fudge - I just unlocked the new Chapter and didn't notice the opening before I stepped into the light. Is the
Hush
the only place to enter it?

Also I had to uninstall it all off an external HDD and reinstall Rebirth/Afterbirth/Afterbirth+ to an internal HDD before I could get it to run - instant crash when starting a run.

Any tips for getting them to pop? I already uninstalled and reinstalled.

Edit: Someone posted the fix on reddit. To anyone having the same problem, go to your secrets page. The achievements should pop.

Oh hey, did that and unlocked half a dozen new achievements, cool.

Oscar

PSA for newcomers: Despite the Steam store stating that all you need is Rebirth to play Afterbirth +, you actually need Afterbirth in order to play Afterbirth +.

Played the original/wrath of the lamb back in the day, but not THAT interested to justify $30+ on Rebirth/Afterbirth/Afterbirth+ atm.

David___

Banned
Just beat the Ultra Hard Mode challenge. Had half a heart at the start of the 2nd phase of Mega Satan but somehow managed to beat it. Just need to do the Pokey-man challenge to finish off the challenges.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
You are amazing.

Thank you.

Is there supposed to be a new character that's totally invisible? Or is my download just corrupted?

No problem. I'm glad the devs thought of this workaround. It's a life saver.

So unlocking the secrets this way adds items to the pool so you can use them, but the item stat screen is empty and will only repopulate when you find them again. Same for the boss completion icons on the character select screen. Kinda sucks.

Luckily there's this handy website that lists out the achievements you haven't gotten yet based on your Steam account. Hopefully it'll be updated for Afterbirth+

http://theriebel.de/tboirah/

And yeah, the invisible character means your game is messed up. It's better to just remove the game, restart Steam, and re-download it.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
God, I am just not good at this game after the first expansion. Like it's either a lot more run dependent, i'm not as good as i used to be, or i never will get as good as needed. Kinda makes me not love the game as much. I don't know how to fix it.

Magwik

Banned
I don't know if it was my item combos or what but either way ipecac doesn't just stack damage to brimestone anymore. I still don't understand how it or
book worm
(the new transformation) works

RockmanBN

Disappointed with the last floor.
It's just randomized themes in one floor where you're looking for the boss room but they all have the same icon. Final boss has very little frames of animation and can teleport over you untelegraphed. Was mostly a mixture of old boss attacks.

Didn't expect since you were mostly paying for the mod tools.

Also the Void is one of the most overpowered item's I've seen. It can be a six charge Mega Blast, Forget me Now, Diplopia, etc. Just 1 item for so many effects.

nakedeyes

Banned
It'll be discounted for a while.

If you own afterbirth then it's $6.66
Confirm its 6.66$ for anyone. I just bought it for that much, and had to do my first steam refund! As I realized after I jumped the gun, that I bought rebirth/afterbirth on PS4, not pc (derp). All I own on pc is OG BoI, so maybe it's that?

Looks like ill wait til the PS4 release to play +.. :/

Erekiddo

Guys, don't void 'Breath of Life'

Voided it to see what it would do, and it stayed activated and drained my entire heart bank and killed me.

Got to the new boss.... Fuck you Edmund. FUCK YOU! What a fucking travesty.
You thought Hush was BS? Just wait till you get to the Void Boss..... Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to make a boss that teleports to your location, has random paterns and SPAWNS A SHITLOAD OF EVERYTHING... Also add "What if the player "kills" "Teratoma" form of the void boss and we fill the whole room with TERATOMA! WHAT AN AMAZING IDEA!!!"

FUCK I'M DONE

David___

Banned
All challenges done. Ended up getting Mom's Knife and Satanic Bible in the first Devil Deal and ditched the pokeball right away. Glad these werent as bad as some of the other ones.

zulux21

so bark at the moon is a great new item.

it ups your attack a bit...

and it howls when ever you are in a room with a secret room.

and oh yeah it barks when there is something hidden under rocks :p

Crowbear

Hot damn the new character is insanely busted.

I started off the expansion with a couple of Isaac runs to shake the rust off and figure out where the new path is, and on the second one ended up with a moderately powerful Guppy run and managed to barely beat the new final boss with 1 heart left.

Then on my second run with the new character I swallowed up Diplopia and Pandora's Box with his spacebar item and that led to the most powerful run I've ever had in any Isaac game/expansion. Guppy, insanely high damage, tear delay all the way down to 1, double vision, multidemensional baby, a bunch of tear effects, every bomb synergy, etc etc. The new boss melted in less than 10 seconds; it was very cathartic after my first fight with him.

Q0LpumH.png

This is were I am.... If you get to the new boss without being OP AF, you're going to have a bad time..... I already died 2 times (I'm still there because of 1-up and Guppy's collar). I'll try again tomorrow or whenever..

Tainted

Just noticed a 20Mb+ update just dropped. Havent noticed any differences yet and the graphic filter is still broken.

Probably a fix for the ppl who couldn't launch the game

zulux21

Disappointing is the word I would use to describe this DLC.

Oh, and half-assed.

it doesn't help that antibirth just came out and feels more polished :p

either way I expect in a few months time this dlc will become well worth it when the modding community goes nuts :p

Only have done a few runs and I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the difference in difficulty, Afterbirth turned me into a real softie. I am definitely the most excited for the mods, watching it grow over the next while is going to be amazing, personally. This is a game I've played nearly daily for the better part of 5 years so having what will (hopefully) be a near- weekly little shake up in the game is very exciting for me.

I'm very pleased with what I've played, short as my time with it has been thus far.

zulux21

Only have done a few runs and I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the difference in difficulty, Afterbirth turned me into a real softie. I am definitely the most excited for the mods, watching it grow over the next while is going to be amazing, personally. This is a game I've played nearly daily for the better part of 5 years so having what will (hopefully) be a near- weekly little shake up in the game is very exciting for me.

I'm very pleased with what I've played, short as my time with it has been thus far.

the difference in difficulty is really what is off to me.

the black spiders with white things on their back shouldn't show up on the first floor. they take like 10 shots to kill with isaac at that point and then more for the white things. i got two of them, and two portal spawners in one room on the first floor and took forever to deal with and lost most of my health due to all of the enemies @_@

like the dlc isn't bad, just really feels like it needed to be play tested a bit more to fix a few major balance issues.

After spending the night playing AB+, I can't help but feel like Antibirth is the far superior expansion from both a content and creative standpoint. A lot of the new additions in AB+ feel uninspired. Things like Stonies and Portals on the early floors can make things very overwhelming for underpowered characters, and the new bosses are even tankier and cheaper than the ones added in Afterbirth. I am enjoying the new character and the new challenges were mostly a blast, but other than that, nothing has captivated me so far.

I'll probably keep playing until I 100% the game (again), but after that I won't be surprised if I spend the bulk of my time back on Antibirth. It's such a breath of fresh air compared to AB+, which feels like more of the same (and not in a good way).

zulux21

C'mon...it's day 1 and the mods haven't really started to flow yet. Talk about not giving it a chance

to be fair the new content in the dlc itself should be able to stand on its own.

the mods are a nice plus, but they have plans to sell this dlc to console people down the line.

I have no doubts that mods will improve this later, but really the mods are a nice plus to the dlc, but you shouldn't really have to pay to have access to fan creations/modifications *shrug*

that being said I really hope that mod set up is easy and it's clear where mods come from so if you want to throw some money at the modders you can.

holymantle

Neo Member
Is it just me, or is the hard mode harder now? Got to womb 2 with almost any key/bomb/heart drop. It has been the same in almost every run by now.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh screw this game.

I just got games like Salt & Sanctuary, Hyper Light Drifter, and Assetto Corsa through the Steam sale. I'm still playing through the Last Guardian. Playing through the Ace Attorney trilogy on 3DS...

None of that will matter because I'm going to buy Afterbirth+ and probably play this damn game 3 hours per day and nothing else. I have to be pushing close to 600 hours between all versions of BOI (my Steam wasn't recording play time for the original properly was stuck at 51 minutes for months once). Just pump this into my veins!

I'm not here to shitpost, but to understand.

I tried the game once and did not understand why people like it. Now I read your post and I just have to ask:
what makes you love this game so much?

Did I not understand something? Because you all really make me want to give this game another chance.

I can see why some people will not be a fan of this expansion, it has that Afterbirth feel with its additions that turned a lot of people off. I liked Afterbirth but I am admittedly easy to please when it comes to BoI.

the difference in difficulty is really what is off to me.

the black spiders with white things on their back shouldn't show up on the first floor. they take like 10 shots to kill with isaac at that point and then more for the white things. i got two of them, and two portal spawners in one room on the first floor and took forever to deal with and lost most of my health due to all of the enemies @_@

like the dlc isn't bad, just really feels like it needed to be play tested a bit more to fix a few major balance issues.

Yeah, fuck that. My knee jerk reaction is that those spawners should be rarer than they are in the vanilla version, I've been ganked some what unfairly already twice.

My death streak is already -7 for fucks sake. I did end up beating Hush in the Pong challenge, but I didn't get any credit for the challenge, a little peeved about that.

AoM

C'mon...it's day 1 and the mods haven't really started to flow yet. Talk about not giving it a chance

From Tyrone:

Why are we paying for mod support?

Technically, you're not. Remember, this is an expansion just like Afterbirth. Trust me, it'll be worth it, you'll love it and if you don't, blame Northerlion.

The "new floor" reuses all old assets. The "new boss" reuses old assets, reskinned white. The other bosses are uninspired (Big Horn being particularly sad in terms of artwork). Many reskinned items. Unfair enemy spawns, horribly implemented mimic chests, overused voids. And Greedier mode - making a mode that hardly anyone likes or plays even more difficult.

I do like the new challenges, some of the items, and the final ending. But at this point, I think Nicalis realized they can do as little as possible and Isaac fans will be there as quick as flies to shit.

zulux21

Yeah, fuck that. My knee jerk reaction is that those spawners should be rarer than they are in the vanilla version, I've been ganked some what unfairly already twice.

My death streak is already -7 for fucks sake. I did end up beating Hush in the Pong challenge, but I didn't get any credit for the challenge, a little peeved about that.

their spawn rate is also annoying.

if they spawned something right away and then 5 seconds later something else and 5 seconds later something else ect... it wouldn't be horrible but most of the spawners I have had spawn two things almost instantly making it a pain in the ass to even get to them.

and late game they spawn bosses out of them @_@

From Tyrone:

The "new floor" reuses all old assets. The "new boss" reuses old assets, reskinned white. The other bosses are uninspired (Big Horn being particularly sad in terms of artwork). Many reskinned items. Unfair enemy spawns, horribly implemented mimic chests, overused voids. And Greedier mode - making a mode that hardly anyone likes or plays even more difficult.

I do like the new challenges, some of the items, and the final ending. But at this point, I think Nicalis realized they can do as little as possible and Isaac fans will be there as quick as flies to shit.

ah yes mimic chests... I need a mod to get rid of those... those are just dumb :p

Mimic chests are maybe my least favorite thing about this DLC. I put 700+ hours into the original BoI and I'm approaching 1000 in Rebirth/Afterbirth/AB+. It's become a force of habit to charge into every brown chest I see. But after all this time, I suddenly have to take my time and approach them with caution out of fear of a mimic? There are a lot of bullshit additions to AB+, but that might be the worst. It's just so unnecessary.

zulux21

Mimic chests are maybe my least favorite thing about this DLC. I put 700+ hours into the original BoI and I'm approaching 1000 in Rebirth/Afterbirth/AB+. It's become a force of habit to charge into every brown chest I see. But after all this time, I suddenly have to take my time and approach them with caution out of fear of a mimic? There are a lot of bullshit additions to AB+, but that might be the worst.

i've only run into one... and that is enough to add it to the list of things I need to mod out.

just like at some point I want to mod in everyone starting with spidermod as it really doesn't change anything besides making more numbers show up, which are always fun :3

I know there is already a mod for the second thing, but I want it through the proper mod support :p

Mimic chests are maybe my least favorite thing about this DLC. I put 700+ hours into the original BoI and I'm approaching 1000 in Rebirth/Afterbirth/AB+. It's become a force of habit to charge into every brown chest I see. But after all this time, I suddenly have to take my time and approach them with caution out of fear of a mimic? There are a lot of bullshit additions to AB+, but that might be the worst. It's just so unnecessary.
You know what's bullshit? Getting to the void boss with percs and doing just fine until the mofo spawns the WHOLE FUCKING ROOM with this cunt
Boss_Teratoma.png
and, hey, if you kill one it spawns two, and those two spawn 4 spiders.... I was overwhelmed and my life got from 12 to 3 Hearts in seconds.

Top Bottom