• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

Magwik

Banned
sigh
3405c14763404e9b94f460c2f15d6caf.png

Breads

Banned
I'll be joining into that fun shortly! Because I played on the Vita and now on the Switch I didn't get to experience things like Greed Mode, Keeper, and The Lost until now.

I'm terrified. Sounds like fun/ hell!

jmartoine

Kind of feels like cheating using the exit and continue glitch on the victory lap to help unlock stuff but it saves so much time.

So far I've been doing all my runs to the dark rooms then doing hush/ chest on the victory lap after being crazy OP.

h0tp0ck3t

Goddamn I hate trying to get Angel Rooms to spawn. One key piece and a rosary bead and I still get a Devil Room. Should I force myself to take red heart damage?

Lgndryhr

Debated picking this game up for the Switch. Never played it before. I got The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on PS4 back when it was free. I am having a hard time understanding what the difference is between the Isaac titles. What does this version include? Gameplay looks like fun though.

Meia

Goddamn I hate trying to get Angel Rooms to spawn. One key piece and a rosary bead and I still get a Devil Room. Should I force myself to take red heart damage?

I know the odds don't show it, but I've never had an angel room spawn on a floor I've taken red heart damage too. Have had the % up at high as 80% on Angel with like 0% on Devil, and just no room will spawn instead.

Now I just go for sacrifice rooms, less aggravation.

jmartoine

Debated picking this game up for the Switch. Never played it before. I got The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on PS4 back when it was free. I am having a hard time understanding what the difference is between the Isaac titles. What does this version include? Gameplay looks like fun though.

It includes Rebirth, the Afterbirth and the Afterbirth+ expansions.

Afterbirth added a new game mode called Greed mode, new items, characters, floor variants, enemies and bosses. Afterbirth+ added more new stuff such a harder version of Greed mode.

Lgndryhr

It includes Rebirth, the Afterbirth and the Afterbirth+ expansions.

Afterbirth added a new game mode called Greed mode, new items, characters, floor variants, enemies and bosses. Afterbirth+ added more new stuff such a harder version of Greed mode.

Okay thanks! I thought so, but wasn't sure.

Will definitely look at picking this up soon then.

Samemind

The Angel Room logic goes like this

Check if Devil Room spawns > after it is determined that a Devil Room spawns, determine if an Angel Room spawns instead of the Devil Room

If you prevent a Devil Room from spawning, you're preventing an Angel Room from spawning.

h0tp0ck3t

I know the odds don't show it, but I've never had an angel room spawn on a floor I've taken red heart damage too. Have had the % up at high as 80% on Angel with like 0% on Devil, and just no room will spawn instead.

Now I just go for sacrifice rooms, less aggravation.

The Angel Room logic goes like this

Check if Devil Room spawns > after it is determined that a Devil Room spawns, determine if an Angel Room spawns instead of the Devil Room

If you prevent a Devil Room from spawning, you're preventing an Angel Room from spawning.

So you always have to get a Devil room once and pass it up to have a shot at Angel? That explains why i got zilch once from a sac room. I missed out on the floor above
Edit: Either that or I took damage from something else

Breads

Banned

If you got a faith item and you've already done one devil deal you can use sacrifice rooms to bump that up to 100% without worry of taking damage iirc.

It's bullshit trying to do it otherwise. I've been at 75% and got no angel rooms for an entire run or I find 5 angel rooms and one of the angels never spawns.

jmartoine

Did the Backasswards challenge last night. Took a while to get a good combination to start.

Ended up with Mom's Knife and Pyromaniac as the biggest starting items with decent damage. Joker card spawned with me so I used that right away and picked up Brimstone.

Using Pyro I was able to beat both Mega Satan and Satan will full health thanks to the regen. Lost Mom's knife moving up to Womb II but after killing It Lives the devil deal gave me Maw of the Void which combined with Pyro meant health was never an issue.

Such a fun challenge but took a while to get a good set of items to start off with, felt like more often than not I would start with 3.5 damage, bad tear rate, shot speed and range and a bunch of garbage items.

holygeesus

Banned
Any tips for beating Ultra Greed with Azazel? I get to him every run pretty much but always get my arse kicked no matter how specced out I am.

So last night passed with no booster. If it isn't tonight, I guess "next week" last week actually meant 2 weeks, and 2 weeks ago "last week" meant almost a month.

Any tips for beating Ultra Greed with Azazel? I get to him every run pretty much but always get my arse kicked no matter how specced out I am.

I managed to get Ludo, and from there it was pretty easy

Chronoja

So last night passed with no booster. If it isn't tonight, I guess "next week" last week actually meant 2 weeks, and 2 weeks ago "last week" meant almost a month.

Was it ever stated why they opted for the drip feed booster pack approach instead of saving it all for bigger release / expansion that's served them well enough so far?

LordRaptor

An exploit yet to be fixed. I hope it does.

Why?
So many people have now abused that exploit - and its not like you can run it indefinitely as looping stops at delirium / mega satan / cathedral routes - that patching it out just stops a bunch of people that didn't exploit from getting a bunch of unlocks.

Was it ever stated why they opted for the drip feed booster pack approach instead of saving it all for bigger release / expansion that's served them well enough so far?

I think they actually thought the had the resources to do it monthly. Evidently, that's not the case.

I don't mind "month and a halfish" boosters as long as they do at least 12 of them as was originally planned. If they stop after a year, even if they only did 7 or 8, that'd be pretty awful.

A lot of people were tolerant of AB+'s lighter content for its price because it came with a year of monthly new content (12 updates)

holygeesus

Banned

After 40 (forty!) beats in a row I'm giving up for a few days. This is the first time in years I've ever raged at a single-player game, and as a middle-aged man, it's not good for my health :p

After 40 (forty!) beats in a row I'm giving up for a few days. This is the first time in years I've ever raged at a single-player game, and as a middle-aged man, it's not good for my health :p
Greedier mode is a pretty large blemish of poor game design on an otherwise really well made game. I've beaten it with Azazel and Lilith, and both attempts were just 100% luck of the draw good builds (Ludo for Az, Gnawed Leaf + Daddy for Lilith)

Nivert

He posted on twitter yesterday

"final edits to booster 2 are in! should go live in the next few days, ill do a detailed blog post when its live"

He posted on twitter yesterday

"final edits to booster 2 are in! should go live in the next few days, ill do a detailed blog post when its live"

That's what I was talking about.

Last week he said "next week" even though two weeks ago he said "next week" and now "next few days" are either tonight, or his "next week" from last week was a week late.

dLMN8R

Anyone else do yesterday's Daily Run? Man that was crazy.

Starting with a powerful Azazel was nice, and then I got one of the items which randomizes everything every time you use it.

I was dumb and decided to randomize everything 5-10 times, which luckily eventually resulted in a pretty awesome roll.

I couldn't tell exactly what I ended up with, but:

-I was suddenly shooting flames occasionally in addition to my Azazel laser
-I seemed to have a lot of friendlies absorbing damage for me
-Every single pill I swallowed resulted in every enemy taking significant damage
-I kept dropping hearts at a fairly rapid rate

I managed to complete the entire boss rush with this run, which is a first for me on Switch! Everything seemed easy peasy.

But then for some reason Mom's Heart absolutely destroyed me...

...I think it's because I had picked up something else which disconnected my head from my body, and it was tough to tell where my body was (which took all the damage) since I was focused on where the head was shooting.

bosh

Why?
So many people have now abused that exploit - and its not like you can run it indefinitely as looping stops at delirium / mega satan / cathedral routes - that patching it out just stops a bunch of people that didn't exploit from getting a bunch of unlocks.

I would agree, it would only punish new players since older ones exploited the heck out of it.

To be fair though, there is definitely a few characters I wouldn't of ran hard mode on, so it made me switch it up more often. Also to get true completion you still have to beat Greed Mode on hard.

Funny enough, I only used the Victory Lap exploit for Lost's Delirium kill, and I didn't even do the run as Lost, it was 99% an Eden run until literally the room before Delirium. Everything else for Lost I did legit.

I hope they don't fix it before I get a good Keeper run, though. I thought I had it last night, nice damage, Tech tears, it was a good build. And then I hit that caves room with the thin path in the middle and bomb flies everywhere and that was the end. Was all set to take the run to the Dark Room.

I abused the heck out of it for Lilith, Maggie and Samson, though!

Ultra Hard DONE. NEVER AGAIN.
until maybe the next save slot

Recipe for success: First floor Satanic Bible and Synthoil, Judas' Shadow and some tears up from Caves, Brimstone from Depths, Cricket's Head from Sheol. Fuck this challenge.

AoM

Why?

I think you overestimate the number of people who even know about the exploit. And regardless, that's not a reason not to fix it.

Tainted

Wait what's the supposed exploit? Exiting when you start a victory lap?

Yes, I believe the exploit is you exit after victory lap begins which enables completion marks to register during the victory lap..
Which isn't supposed to happen.

I believe victory lap is supposed to be treated like a seeded run. Thats how I understand it anyway

6 new items (last booster had 9)

But those are just items that show up in the stats, there could be trinkets, cards, pills, etc, that wouldn't show up

If there are new bosses or enemies, they forgot to add them to the Bestiary. There are no new challenges.

New shop item: Coupon, makes one random item free in the shop on a 6 room charge This also confirms there's no time limit on items, since this was an early January item.

Tech 0 is in

Some item called "Jumper Cables"

New mirror thing

Mods don't seem to disable achievements anymore (console is still active though muahahahahahaha KEEPER RUNS HERE I COME)

AoM

I just think that it should count is all. There's absolutely zero reason to do a victory lap if it doesn't count unlocks.

I mean, the mechanic wasn't implemented to make getting unlocks easier. It was implemented solely to lengthen the time of a run.

The console is enabled 100% of the time, so if you're a dirty cheater, you can just use it to give yourself a solid build and just warp around to where you need to go

Not that anyone here would EVER do that.

Top Bottom