• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

Brimstone on Onan's Streak hmmmmmmm

Only took 5 tries (over the course of a few weeks)... just Brains and Ultra Hard left for challenges... ugh...

And then all I'll have left is Greedier for everyone except Lilith and Azazel... oh yea, and regular Greed mode for Keeper, seems fun oh man can't wait

goddamn anybody got tips for Solar System short of a blood sacrifice to RNGesus for an Incubus?
Find Sacc Dagger and Lil Brim like I did... heh

Just get used to attacking by only using orbitals. It's a skill that's really useful in the normal game, and Solar System is good practice for it.

If I'm reading it right then you can steal all items from double item rooms, boss rush, and devil deals(?). Seems pretty good in that regard.

Oh my god, I didn't even think of that synergy

That would be crazy with the four item Angel Room

saunderez

If I'm reading it right then you can steal all items from double item rooms, boss rush, and devil deals(?). Seems pretty good in that regard.
You're absolutely right, I didn't even consider rooms where you pick 1 of 2 or more. Pretty sure it doesn't work on Devil Deals though because you can't use it on things that have a price (like the shop).

goddamn anybody got tips for Solar System short of a blood sacrifice to RNGesus for an Incubus?

BFFs is pretty invaluable in that challenge. As is any additional orbitals as you can be mostly shielded if you end up with sac dagger and ball of meat or bandages. Lastly book of shadows so you can use those orbitals without taking damage.

dickroach

I still haven't been able to get moving box to show up at all. i tried restarting greed mode with isaac for like 20 minutes, running right up into the shop, and rerolling if there was no moving box. I saw Box of Stuff a million times, Pandoras Box a bunch of times, and Box of Friends a couple of times. :(

Only took 5 tries (over the course of a few weeks)... just Brains and Ultra Hard left for challenges... ugh...

phew. good luck. that was undoubtedly the hardest, bullshittiest thing in this game. took me like 15 solid hours.

AoM

I still haven't been able to get moving box to show up at all. i tried restarting greed mode with isaac for like 20 minutes, running right up into the shop, and rerolling if there was no moving box. I saw Box of Stuff a million times, Pandoras Box a bunch of times, and Box of Friends a couple of times. :(

According to the wiki (unless someone didn't update it correctly), it's in the shop pool in regular mode. Greed mode's pools are separate, and moving box isn't in greed mode's shop pool.

It might not be in Greed Mode due to maybe a potential break? Carrying resources between floors would be pretty powerful in that mode.

They didn't forget Booster 2 items in Greed Mode (like Booster 1, which is fixed now) because I got Coupon a few days ago. Unless Coupon is the only item from B2 in Greed Mode?

Might be faster to just do a normal run. It's not a particularly rare item in the shop, I've seen it twice already.

phew. good luck. that was undoubtedly the hardest, bullshittiest thing in this game. took me like 15 solid hours.

Haha yea, not looking forward to it. Last time I tried, I think I got to Depths before dying. ??? is already a hard character, then they go and add that nonsense to it.

Therion

Whew, finally got my last post-it filled out (Keeper/Mega-Satan). Even better, there was no cheese involved; it was all down to good play (plus the occasional lucky dodge). Not that I am against cheesing things in general, but it felt great to get the final completion due to skill.

Now I just need to get the Marathon achievement and to pick up whatever items I've missed. And to enjoy playing characters other than the Keeper again.

Breads

Banned
Keeper has been very interesting/ frustrating. I used to think the limited health was going to be the problem.

It can be... but the tear rate/ base speed is what actually screws me up.

The worst part is that a lot of these deaths don't feel like my fault. Much like the mantle/ brownie death I mentioned before I don't think there is anything I could have done. I came into the room from the left, it jumped right on top of me and then spawned the 10 or w/e adds above and below me. I said I died in 3 seconds but it was probably closer to 1.

dickroach

yaaaaay finally got moving box. showed up pretty quickly in a regular shop. good call.
didn't find a good use for it in the run, but I was thinking maybe you can use it to scoop up a health up item to get two devil deals if you only have one or two red hearths and you get to a devil room with two two heart items.
welp, now I have nothing to do in this game anymore. :\

Keeper has been very interesting/ frustrating. I used to think the limited health was going to be the problem.

It can be... but the tear rate/ base speed is what actually screws me up.

The worst part is that a lot of these deaths don't feel like my fault. Much like the mantle/ brownie death I mentioned before I don't think there is anything I could have done. I came into the room from the left, it jumped right on top of me and then spawned the 10 or w/e adds above and below me. I said I died in 3 seconds but it was probably closer to 1.

have you beaten Isaac yet so you start with the wooden nickel? it makes such a world of difference.
I think with The Keeper i seriously just kept restarting until I got Mom's Knife or Tech X in an adjacent first treasure room. I wouldn't even waste my time

BizzyBum

Just started playing on the Switch.

Did a normal run and beat Momma boss who was a big fat leg. I just picked up as much stuff along the way. Should I just continue playing learning as I go or is it beneficial to look up some guides so I'm not doing anything dumb?

Just started playing on the Switch.

Did a normal run and beat Momma boss who was a big fat leg. I just picked up as much stuff along the way. Should I just continue playing learning as I go or is it beneficial to look up some guides so I'm not doing anything dumb?

Use guides like this one and gamepedia's wiki for the game, won't hurt to have some assistance along the journey, and this game is full of traps or items you may not want to pick up.

dickroach

alright, messed around with Moving Box some more.
there's some uses.
- you can take books (yeah, multiple, not just one) out of one of those library rooms and into a room with one of those re-roll machines which is super cool.
- you can hoard batteries in them, so you don't have to keep running back to various rooms where batteries dropped.
- it only takes on item from the boss rush room; doesn't trigger the start of the rush.
- when there's one of those items that you can't reach, on an island or whatever when you don't have flying, take it!

Okay, I just wasn't sure if it ruins the experience playing with a guide right from the get go.

you might wanna go for a little bit without one, but I think playing with a guide is better. knowing what you have to do to keep progressing and keep unlocking stuff is good in a game where there's so much to do and so much stuff to unlock.

Apollyon Greedier done. That "only" took 3 tries to do. Thanks Host Hat and Cracked Crown!

I also made an attempt and completed it all excited that it was easier than I thought and I was finally done, and then realized Greedier never spawned because I had been playing regular Greed Mode...

Ok it's back to being pretty much useless again. I bought it from the shop twice and found no use for it, I won't do it again.

Well, actually it turns out that's only half true, and it was later explained it picks up one, but still leaves the other item there. So you get both items, just in a roundabout way.

Also the item is FAR from useless.

Vlad

Can you link me to a video on Twitch / YouTube / etc. of someone doing an amazing run like this? I've seen a couple here and there but haven't seen enough pro runs to my liking.

I recommend today's daily if you want to see how you could abuse the hell out of a run with the right items. You start out with the D20 and Sack Head, which means that you're guaranteed to be swimming in stuff:

vnZeDS0.jpg

Those trinkets...

That would be a run where I was desperately hunting for smelter or a Gulp pill.

If that shot had a goat hoof and a curved horn in it, it would be perfect!

Just managed to die via red poop as Keeper. I had Proptosis, Sacred Heart and Swallowed Penny.

I need a break from this game.

EDIT: Make that 2 Keeper runs in a row, this time with Tech X and several damage ups. I couldn't tell what killed me, then I noticed a Lil' Haunt plaguing me.

If I can't win either of those runs I give up XD

Oreoleo

I recommend today's daily if you want to see how you could abuse the hell out of a run with the right items. You start out with the D20 and Sack Head, which means that you're guaranteed to be swimming in stuff:

vnZeDS0.jpg
Damn, that was great. I don't have a ton of hours into the game so I haven't gotten many chances to play with really good combos like this. Kinda wish the daily went beyond Mom's Foot; all those items and nothing to really use them on!

"Judas is a good character, maybe Greedier won't be so bad"

2 hours later

"Oh Jesus, just make it stop, give me a break, anything. D20, Steam Sale, something!"

And then I get Blank Card 2 of Diamonds in Sheol and managed to eek out a win after 2 painful hours of torment

Oh goody, now to just do this again with half the cast since I'm working through easy characters first (Lilith, Azazel, Appolyon and now Judas are done, Isaac will be next, then Eden)

RIP my Eden tokens when I get to Eden. RIP my sanity after I beat Eden and only have mediocre characters left...

THIS MODE IS SO AWFUL. It's not even fun difficult. It's just tedious difficult. There shouldn't be a mode whose sole way of winning is to find a game break.

Also don't take Rubber Cement, Cricket's Body and Tech Zero together because THIS WILL KILL YOU INSTANTLY. 8 hearts wiped the minute my tears broke onto the ground.

AoM

Yup lol.

There is literally no reason to play Greedier mode once you've done it once. It's literally there just for unlocks. Pure sadism.

Yup lol.

There is literally no reason to play Greedier mode once you've done it once. It's literally there just for unlocks. Pure sadism.

It hurts the most because a lot of the Greedier unlocks are pretty good, like Black Rune and Eye of Belial.

Or how Keeper has an actual item as an unlock, meaning I can't pick up 100% of the items until I do that.

I had such a rough time with Greed Mode Lost, and ended up basically just getting lucky with a super good build and dead cat, but... Greedier Lost scares me a lot. Greedier Blue Baby, since I can't get infinite health vs Greedier with a lucky Pyromaniac pickup. Or Keeper with his garbage stats. Cain, Maggie, Laz and Samson are at least decent enough characters, but they're so boring. When typing this I forget Eve even existed and had to edit lol

Road to 3000000000000%

Greed Mode
- Keeper

Greedier Mode
- Isaac
- Maggie
- Cain
- ???
- Eve
- Samson
- Eden
- Laz
- Lost
- Keeper

Challenges
- BRAINS
- Ultra Hard

Other
- Find Mega from Afterbirth (easiest challenge on this list!)
- Unlock and collect Godhead from Rebirth (by beating Greedier with Lost)
- Collect Greedier unlocks from AB+ as I unlock them
- Do "It's the Key"

This isn't going to be fun at all...

And Booster 3 will probably come with more achievements, oh boy

David___

Banned
Yeah, that's why I don't like how they changed the parameters for unlocking it. I know OG Lost didn't have Holy Mantle, but it still seems a little unfair.
Eh, I can see why they did it. Even though there's more paths to complete there's also items like Tech X+ 1/2 damage ups that guarantee a win minus Delirium along with the starting Holy Mantle

nynt9

This might have been addressed before, but how does one get good at this game? I usually die before I reach the second boss.

dickroach

This might have been addressed before, but how does one get good at this game? I usually die before I reach the second boss.

you just gotta keep playing. you get a better feel for enemies' moving/shooting patterns and how to not get hit.
also, the success of a run is pretty heavily dependent on the items you get. you might just be having shitty luck

I watched A LOT of streamers and YouTubers playing through runs. This helped me get the item mechanics and weird quirks like secret room placement down, so I could focus all my attention on perfecting dodging. Dodging is the key skill in Isaac, since you can more or less kill anything with careful dodging and just shooting in the vague direction of the enemy.

AoM

Eh, I can see why they did it. Even though there's more paths to complete there's also items like Tech X+ 1/2 damage ups that guarantee a win minus Delirium along with the starting Holy Mantle

Speaking of Tech X, I'm still surprised they never made it a special item.

The whole idea of special items is stupid and outdated anyway. When there's 100 items it makes sense. When there's 500+ items, it doesn't matter at all.

You can make a ludicrous build using no special items what so ever. In fact that's not even particularly uncommon to do.

David___

Banned
They actually removed a few. Lil Brim (wat), Stopwatch and Soy Milk used to be on the list.
I remember that

Stopwatch I understand, since post nerf it was an item that makes you win the game automatically.

But the other two just proves how arbitrary the special items list is. I also think Ludo is a special item too for some reason

Breads

Banned
Beating Delirium as The Keeper was the single most exciting thing I've ever done in a videogame. I was so amped I was shaking and when I won tears where shed.

Head of the Keeper was the only reason why I survived. I did get hit about 5 times but luckily there were enough coins that I made it through.

Fuck The Keeper.

"An the lord said, thou shall beat Brains today. Then then he did, and there was much rejoicing"

MMORDGv.jpg

First floor Fate from a golden chest. Okay, this seems to be off to a good start. Ball of Bandages from the first floor boss as well

Floor 2, Sacc Dagger in the first devil deal. Leaves me at 2 hearts, but it's really hard to refuse

Proceed to be carried through the game by Sacc Dagger, Ball of Bandages and the many familiars I seem to pick up as I go along

Almost die to Monstro II in Depths, but I eek out a kill on him. Abaddon is waiting in the Devil Deal. Thanks for the free Black Hearts!

Almost die in Womb I (I had half a heart for like 5 rooms), until a miracle happens. A Library appears. Book of Rev and Satanic Bible. Okay, that works. Used both and took the Satanic Bible. Had to fight Conquest for my troubles, but it was worth it.

Potential Guppy on the run, but I didn't take the Hairball because it would have left me at half a heart. Guppy wouldn't have mattered too much. Grabbed the Collar and Tail because I had the health for it at the time, and the Collar was some luck based insurance.

Then at the Chest the game just says "k, you came far enough, here's the win" and starts throwing stuff like the Soul and Holy Mantle at me.

Breads

Banned
I just tried Brains for the first time and got it in one go.

Swallowed Penny and Piggy Bank first floor.

Blank Card and being able to hold 2 tarot cards in floor 2 (I forgot which item exactly). I also got Credit Card, Hierophant, and Dice Shard all on the same floor... though I left the dice behind.

Soon I got my hands on 9 volt, Habit, sharp plug (ended up not being used), Meat Cube, Guardian Angel... I forget the rest but yeah. Near infinite money and generating two soul hearts every other room.

Luck seems to be on my side today.

In the past couple of weeks I've made a good dent in Lost and Keeper's post its. Heart, Cathedral, Sheol, Chest, Dark Room, and Greed Mode with each of them. Not looking forwards to Boss Rush or Hush as I like to take my time (especially as those characters...)

Ultra Hard, Speed, and Brains left too. Nope, nope, and nope.

Uhh... so two things

- If you save and quit and re-enter, mirror's won't spawn anymore for some reason. RIP free item on the Chest for me
- There's a room on the womb with four sucking rocks and three laser eyes that is literally impossible to not take damage, since it sucks you in so heavily. There's a few mom's hands to defeat to open the doors

Much like I did for Booster 1, I'll make a bug list for Booster 2 and post it to reddit. It seemed to work last time (mostly every bug from the first list was fixed)

I have these so far

- Leprocy is spelled wrong. It should be Leprosy
- Coupon crashes if you enter a Devil Deal with a single item available.
- Mom's mirror doesn't show up anymore if you save and quit
- Technology Zero hurts you if you have Parasite

Edit: NEVERMIND, they just patched the game and now Leprosy is spelled right. Seeing if the other stuff is fixed. Void + Moving Box exploit is fixed. Coupon bug is probably fixed, since it was widely reported. Tech 0 likely isn't fixed, since that's a weird bug with technology tears, it also effects Jacob's Ladder. The Mom's Mirror bug isn't fixed, but the Mirror now disappears if you bomb it. Also no more free item on the Chest, it only drops pills :(

Edit 2: Actually, it always drops pills on all floors, but it can very rarely drop Mom transformation items, that's kinda cool

Edit 3: Jacob's Ladder and Tech 0 self damage was actually fixed. I'm impressed by this tiny surprise Saturday patch, pretty much fixed everything from the Booster 2

Edit 4: The mirror isn't guaranteed to spawn every floor after you have 10 items, which is why I thought it was bugged

This patch fixed all sorts of stuff

Satanic Bible on floor 2 in a library kind of turns Ultra Hard into "Kinda Hard, but not really"

Combine that with a Hail Mary Car Battery blind shop buy in the Depths and it's just... not even that hard at all. It got to the point where getting lost was more of the challenge than actually dying.

Even then, though, the rest of my items were so trash I had to be extra careful on Mega Satan. Pretty much relying on Dead Bird and Tech Zero and a LONG fight with Mega Satan. Ended up with only 2 hearts at the end (walking in with 3 red hearts and the rest of the two rows filled with black hearts). When you're relying on Dead Bird to do consistent damage, you're scrapping the bottom. I don't really even remember fighting Mega Satan with such a poor build, usually I only fight him if I have a broken build.

I wasn't even aware some of these enemies could be champions too, like those demonic fast shooting babies that hide in super secret rooms. Another thing I noticed is Loki and Pin can't be champions, despite them being in Isaac since the Lamb DLC. Wonder why they've never been updated? Guess I never noticed before that Pin was never a champion.

Also thank god for spider Haunt and spider Rag Man champions. The game was feeling particularly unkind with my basement bosses.

Aaaand 1,000,000%. That was probably the most epic and rewarding (minus Ultra Hard) achievement hunt ever. The last remaining thing was finding Greed's Gullet, which surprisingly popped up while doing a bit of chaos-rolling in a shop.

Maybe it's time to take a little break... maybe.

Dipship31

So I'm kinda just waiting for this game to have that click moment to happen where your eyes open and see just how amazing the game is. Kinda like how in Spelunky you realize the game isn't about just getting to Olmec and beating him. There's something much deeper and much more rewarding. From what I'm reading it sounds like that moment (or moments) end up coming in this game, but when??

dickroach

So I'm kinda just waiting for this game to have that click moment to happen where your eyes open and see just how amazing the game is. Kinda like how in Spelunky you realize the game isn't about just getting to Olmec and beating him. There's something much deeper and much more rewarding. From what I'm reading it sounds like that moment (or moments) end up coming in this game, but when??

how much have you played so far? how many floors deep have you gotten?

jmartoine

Did the April Fool's challenge last night. Was a cake walk as I ended up swimming in gold hearts so every time I got hit the floor would be littered "coins" which were soul hearts and black hearts so health was never an issue.

Oreoleo

For me it's been a very gradual thing. I mean, I've always thought the core gameplay was incredibly solid. But the deeper I get into the game (beating mom's heart 10+ times, then beating Satan and Isaac etc) the more rewarding the game is for me. But there was never "that moment." Well, maybe that moment was getting it on Switch so I could play it wherever, whenever, instead of being chained to my PC. I've put more time into the game in the past two months on Switch than I have since I got the original flash BoI & Rebirth years ago on Steam.

Top Bottom