• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

Finally got the game to grind to single digit frame rate the other day with sickles so big a single one filled up a 2x2 room:

DAxgIxNVoAAaOoE.jpg:large

I don't remember exactly what I had but I do remember having 2 Succubi (from Cambion Conception), Chocolate Milk, 3 Dollar Bill, and Death's Touch. That victory lap was a hell of a lot of fun.

Is there a site that isn't incredibly slow that has all the item descriptions next to their sprites?

I can't remember which items are which even after getting it 15 times, and every site I try to use is so slow that I just end up quitting my run.

7threst

After all the GAF praise, I decided to buy it on Switch...

I... really have to sit down for this and take my time to grasp this. I *think* I really like it but still not sure. The controls definitely feels like something that'll get a while to get used to :)

jmartoine

Is there a site that isn't incredibly slow that has all the item descriptions next to their sprites?

I can't remember which items are which even after getting it 15 times, and every site I try to use is so slow that I just end up quitting my run.

I generally use this http://platinumgod.co.uk/afterbirth-plus

Tried out the Cat's got your tongue challenge, surprisingly it only took me a couple of hours. Made 6 or 7 attempts before completing it. On my winning run I fought Mom with one red heart and managed it somehow. The demon auto-turret and mini-Stephen carried me the final couple of floors.

So I guess Godhead counts towards Afterbirth's all items achievement?

It's the only Re/AB item I'm missing, now that I managed to find Mega Blast today (I was going for God rooms, but how could I turn down the item I had been hunting for a week for!).

Which means I need to actually basically beat AB+ before I can actually beat AB.

Neat.

UberTag

Jacob's Ladder is such a good item, I love it.
It made an immediate favorable impression on me upon diving back into Isaac with the Switch release but it became downright cathartic when I bagged the Ladder during a run when Curse of Darkness was in effect and that shit just lights up the screen.

+1 for the Jacob's Ladder love.

So I'm getting there with the completion. What's left...

Boss Rush as Lost and Keeper
Hush as Lost and Keeper
Mega Satan as Lost and Keeper
Delirium as Lost and Keeper

There's a theme here XD

Completely ignoring Greedier Mode. I've done it with Isaac, that's enough for me.

UberTag

Having spent a good amount of time on Afterbirth+ on the Switch, here's what I perceive to be the most egregious bugs as of right now...

1) Greed spawning as an enemy on the 1st floor (Basement) of Greed Mode. He's not supposed to. I've seen him show up as often as 4 times in a single wave. I'd say it's better than 50/50 that he shows up at least once. I've managed to knock out most of the Greed mode unlocks but this is still a frustrating roadblock to getting a decent run out of the gates.

2) Trite spiders spawning and then hopping to the upper-left corner of whatever room you're in and parking it there like a squatter in a Halo map. This can end runs unless you've got bombs or spectral tears to reach them.

3) Boss music endlessly looping post-Lokii kill. This effectively locks out Loki's Horns, Challenge #11 and the Rules Card (outside of Daily Runs).

4) Game crashing upon accessing the Daily Run leaderboards. This is an inconsistent issue but it happens enough to prevent the Marathon achievement from registering for 5 consecutive wins (locking out the Cracked Crown) and most likely impacts - or at least significantly delays - being able to acquire the Dedication achievement from registering for 31 Daily Run attempts (locking out the Horf pill).

There are general performance and slowdown issues but the above 4 bugs appear to be the most problematic in terms of hampering or restricting forward progress in the game.

Oreoleo

1) Greed spawning as an enemy on the 1st floor (Basement) of Greed Mode. He's not supposed to. I've seen him show up as often as 4 times in a single wave. I'd say it's better than 50/50 that he shows up at least once. I've managed to knock out most of the Greed mode unlocks but this is still a frustrating roadblock to getting a decent run out of the gates.

Damn, that's a bug? No wonder Greed mode has been so hard for me. It's really disheartening that Nicalis/Ed don't seem to be acknowledging the bugs. Only mention I've seen of a Switch patch is in regards to getting a collective booster update in a few months.

Jacob's Ladder is all fun and games until you get multiple split shots.

They fixed the self damage in most instances, but on a particularly broken run I've still taken self damage from split shot, split shots of split shots that were rubber cemented

h0tp0ck3t

Yeah buddy! All the stars were in perfect alignment and Solar System is done.
Library on first floor with book of revelations
Sac dagger in last devil deal

stalker

I just got a message from amazon.es saying the switch EU retail release is delayed to july 20. Maybe just a delay for the spanish distributor, dont know.

Tainted

I don't find alot of the challenges fun at all, I have given up on trying to get (real) Platinum god because of them. I also hate greed mode

For me, just completing all the Delirium / Mega Satan runs on hard for each character is a challenge in itself and way more fun :)

Spotted the second print run cover at Target today...hoping the first print is still fairly simple to find.

I've only seen the second print at GameStop, and they still had two first prints still. I got the last of the first print from my local Best buy. My Walmart had two copies of the first print yesterday when I was there. So, anecdotally it's still pretty easy to find.

I find it crazy that this and I Am Setsuna "sold out". I mean, like a fraction of people who want a Switch have even found one yet.

UberTag

Tackling Greedier Mode for the first time on Switch.
Knocked out Lillith and Cain thus far but, man, it's a challenge getting a decent run started. Feel like I've been plugging away in vain on Lazarus for an eternity.
What's worse is that I don't have pre-death Anemic unlocked for him yet as I have intentionally not completed a Lamb run to keep portals out of the equation.

h0tp0ck3t

Tackling Greedier Mode for the first time on Switch.
Knocked out Lillith and Cain thus far but, man, it's a challenge getting a decent run started. Feel like I've been plugging away in vain on Lazarus for an eternity.
What's worse is that I don't have pre-death Anemic unlocked for him yet as I have intentionally not completed a Lamb run to keep portals out of the equation.

I was worried when portals started showing up but really they're not that tough. I'm on the Switch too and the most I think I ever saw one spawn is three enemies.

I got so frustrated getting 3 Greeds on the first floor (sometimes first wave) of Greed mode that I've stopped playing it. I may never unlock Greedier.

UberTag

I was worried when portals started showing up but really they're not that tough. I'm on the Switch too and the most I think I ever saw one spawn is three enemies.
As the previous poster noted, I would happily welcome portals in exchange for a way to circumvent those early floor Greed / Super Greed spawns. Unfortunately, those were in play right out of the gates on Switch whereas I have direct influence over portals, stone fatties and those other delightful wrinkles from being in the game. Even a brand new Isaac file with nothing unlocked is subjected to those and I pretty much just auto-reset whenever they pop up in the Basement of Greed / Greedier Mode unless I have an unexpectedly strong early build due to Magic Mushroom or something.

Just killed Ultra Greed on Greedier with Lilith. Problem is, he killed me at the same time.

I don't know why I keep going back to this POS mode.

UberTag

Finally knocked out my Lazarus Greedier run after a choice Epic Fetus drop along with some timely 2 of Diamonds thanks to going all in on cards with Starter Deck, Tarot Cloth and an Acid Baby spawn from a Devil Beggar. Didn't even need to pop my 2nd Algiz rune during the Ultra Greedier fight.

Broke my personal record for number of coins dropped into the Greed Machine in a single run at 104. Thing didn't jam a single time. I wish it allowed you to return to the entrance hall on that floor as I left a Dollar Bill sitting there from a cracked Slot Machine.

I'm saving Laz Greedier for last because Plan C is a terrible item and is in basically every item pool just wasting space.

It's in the most pools of any item in the game.

Therion

Today's daily run looks like it could be fun with a Judas' Shadow in the first room. My recommendation is not to accidentally D4 it (and Holy Mantle) away like I did.

Toys R Us review lol
oZGfERW.png

Guess they ignored the M rating, and the monsters literally bleeding out of their empty eye sockets on the cover?

Isaac is kind of an awkward game to sell mass market, but seriously... look at the cover and read the ratings before you buy a game for your kid. My parents always did.

And no, it's not because the new cover has an angel Isaac and no eye bleeding enemies, because on TRU's website they still use the old cover.

Cincaid

So uh, still radio silence for a PS4 release? I get that Edmund and Nicalis are huge Nintendo fans, but this is getting silly. :(

Toys R Us review lol
oZGfERW.png

Guess they ignored the M rating, and the monsters literally bleeding out of their empty eye sockets on the cover?

Isaac is kind of an awkward game to sell mass market, but seriously... look at the cover and read the ratings before you buy a game for your kid. My parents always did.

And no, it's not because the new cover has an angel Isaac and no eye bleeding enemies, because on TRU's website they still use the old cover.

Doesn't the back of the box also describe the story and theme and gameplay of the game too??

Wtf just complete carelessness from the person in that review

Had a pretty good week. Ticked off:

Ultra Hard
Brains!
Boss Rush with Keeper
Greedier with Maggie
Greedier with Eden
Greedier with Judas

Greedier with half the characters left to do. Hush, Mega Satan and Delirium left to do with Lost and Keeper. Not sure which of those I'm dreading the most...

Getting really good with Azrael runs. Beat it twice tonight. The second time as lord of the flies. Might be time to up the difficulty. Idk, I only got the rope ending.

Decided to try Greedier with Lost. Got a decent amount of damage upgrades and homing tears, then Sprinkler. Said in my head "I would kill for Gnawed Leaf right now".

Next item room...Gnawed Leaf.

Sat here at Ultra Greed. 3 minutes in and he's at about half health.

I got all night bitch :cool:

EDIT: Took about 10 minutes. And then I did a Greedier run with Keeper and WON. What the fuck is this streak!? Today I've done Greedier with Eve, Samson, Lazarus, Apollyon, Blue Baby, Lost and Keeper. I now never need to touch that mode again!

UberTag

Just unlocked Keeper on Switch following my final Greedier unlock (to that point, anyhow... I still have Keeper, Apollyon and The Lost to tackle).

This is very... different. Figure I'll get his Wooden Nickel and Store Key unlocks out of the way before tackling the heavy stuff.
Will likely nab Cracked Crown tomorrow now that I know how to run the daily consistently without crashing the game.

EDIT: Unlocked the Cracked Crown but a bunch of challenge unlocks popped (which isn't supposed to happen on daily runs) due to the fact that this run went to the Chest (something I've consciously avoided doing until now) and yet the challenges did not unlock despite having earned the secret flags saying they did. Hoping I didn't just trigger a bug that will freeze these out on this profile after I've actually completed a Chest/Lamb run outside of the Daily or I'm going to be cheesed given the amount of time I've invested.

Xion385

I was interested in buying this game. I was just wondering what would be the best version for me to get if I'm new to the series? Other people recommended just getting Afterbirth for beginners to the series then get Afterbirth+ if I really get into it. Or should I just get the base game for now?

MANUELF

Banned
Bought the Switch version for my future Switch but it didnt came with any of the extra stuff even when it came with the original boxart :(

Top Bottom