• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

Is Delirious weighted like Mega Blast is? It's the last item I need to find before I finally get the 1000000% achievement. I've been on numerous Angel Room runs and rerolled countless times but it doesn't want to show up D:

Hellers

Any tips for someone just starting to play on the Switch? I've just been going into games and seeing how far I can get but it all seems to be based on how lucky you get with items?

How do you end up going from basic Isaac throwing slow weak tears on the first level to something like saunderez's video earlier. Is there something I should be focusing on or just playing a lot?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Actually I walked up to a chess and it took my money for donations???

The donations machine will unlock more stuff in the shop as you get the total up to certain amounts. It's not for buying things from the store, to do that you just walk over the item when you have enough coins to buy it.

Any tips for someone just starting to play on the Switch? I've just been going into games and seeing how far I can get but it all seems to be based on how lucky you get with items?

How do you end up going from basic Isaac throwing slow weak tears on the first level to something like saunderez's video earlier. Is there something I should be focusing on or just playing a lot?

Basically at the beginning of the game you're going to be spending most of your time learning about the items and the enemies. You're probably going to die a lot, but gradually as you start to understand the patterns for attacks, and what the different items you can collect do, you'll start to improve. Use websites like Platinum God to help identify what items do before you pick them up (if you want a helping hand). Once you start getting better at dodging attacks then you'll be able to get further, get more items, and eventually beat the game. Beating the game will unlock more items and other things the more times you do it.

At the start it's very much based on luck, but the more you know about the items and the more you're able to avoid taking damage the more you'll be able to turn that luck in your favour, either by avoiding items you know aren't good, utilising combinations of items to get better attacks, or learning strategies that'll help in other ways.

67D0A6F635D5A7402A7F39F77045356007AE1967

Best Eden start ever! (Polyphemus missing in the screenshot. But's there)

Guys, there's a bug I found involving both "interdimensional baby" and "finger!". If "finder!" and "interdimensional baby" happen to be in the same direction (finger pointing at the baby), the game freezes and, most of the time, crashes.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So it looks like my BoI manual was bound incorrectly as one page was loose. Is Nicalis cool about replacing that kind of thing or am I SOL?

So it looks like my BoI manual was bound incorrectly as one page was loose. Is Nicalis cool about replacing that kind of thing or am I SOL?

Send a Tweet to Tyrone or Nicalis, they might be able to help you.

Guys, there's a bug I found involving both "interdimensional baby" and "finger!". If "finder!" and "interdimensional baby" happen to be in the same direction (finger pointing at the baby), the game freezes and, most of the time, crashes.

Multidimensional Baby is very, very, very broken right now and should be avoided at all costs

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Send a Tweet to Tyrone or Nicalis, they might be able to help you.

Tweeted Nicalis Wednesday night and haven't gotten a response. Just tweeted Mr. Rodriguez to see if he can help. I'm afraid to try to fix it as I don't have the proper stapler and I'd hate to bend or puncture any more holes in it than necessary.

-

So I've made about 30 runs so far and I've never finished, I've always lost.

is there some trick I'm missing out on here or do I just need to git gud?

Magwik

Banned

Learn the items
Pay attention to enemy patterns

Maybe watch Northernlion do a recent run to see how to play better or differently

Vlad

Is there a particular enemy type that's giving you trouble? How far are you getting, on average? You didn't accidentally set the game to Hard or anything, right?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Finally made it to mom but crashed and burned badly. I hate a laser upgrade that didn't allow for rapid fire and that killed my chances of being effective offensively.

UberTag

Managed to knock out the Ultra Hard challenge today. Hit the wall in Depths my first handful of attempts thanks to the RNG gods not giving me much of a build to work with but took it down today predominantly thanks to Satanic Bible, Lost Contact, ???'s Only Friend, Thin Odd Mushroom, Jacob's Ladder and the Cancer trinket along with a clutch Cricket's Head in the Sheol super secret room. Having Percs pills on hand for the Satan and Mega Satan fights also helped. Ensured I had amazing tear rate that doubled as defensive shielding with lightning going off non-stop. Also had the Bookworm, Spun and Seraphim transformations in play. Even then it wasn't a cakewalk... was down to 3 1/2 hearts heading into the Dark Room.

I'm done with challenges now outside of the Glass Cannon challenge which remains inaccessible on Switch thanks to the Loki's Horns unlock glitch. I have at least been able to get the Horns added to my Itemdex thanks to Missing No. but that challenge won't be opening up without a patch.

After that fun, I now get to go back to the Greed mode well with Keeper. Yay?

Ultra Hard sucks. My biggest problem is you can't ever see the map and when combined with being teleported to other rooms thanks to curse of the maze it's just a massive exercise in frustration as you have literally no idea of your bearings at times.
I mitigated this issue by making use of an online dungeon mapper tool. Made me feel like I was playing Etrian Odyssey again. Allowed me to do full floor clears and not lose track of anything outside of the unpleasantness of dealing with Curse of the Maze.

Just God Head, Plan C and Angelic Prism left to collect. Plan C needs to be unlocked, but should be ridiculously easy to get once unlocked (I saved it for last due to it muddying up every single pool in the game). Angelic Prism isn't really required, but for my own personal completion, I need to find it.

It's the Key is going to likely be the last thing I ever unlock in Isaac. What a stupid achievement.

Stat!

I tried all week to do this, and I kept failing.

Any tips?

For Greed mode in general?

Unlike regular mode where the best style of game is high damage (and giving away your hearts is a good thing), Greed mode builds should be entirely focused on the Ultra Greed battle and therefore, the goal is to have as much health and replenishing health as possible.

Its more about a battle of attrition than having high damage. So find ways to survive. Whether that be gnawed leaf or pyromaniac or 12 hearts plus wafer.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well I have everything Isaac on Steam but Afterbirth+ but god damn this game was made to be portable. I'm in love with the switch version. It just feels right.

AoM

For Greed mode in general?

Unlike regular mode where the best style of game is high damage (and giving away your hearts is a good thing), Greed mode builds should be entirely focused on the Ultra Greed battle and therefore, the goal is to have as much health and replenishing health as possible.

Its more about a battle of attrition than having high damage. So find ways to survive. Whether that be gnawed leaf or pyromaniac or 12 hearts plus wafer.

Eh. For Greed mode it's enough to just go for damage. But for Greedier, your last sentence is very (and unfortunately) true.

dickroach

breaking greed mode is the most fun thing in the game
get a blank card, a 2 of diamonds (or Jera i guess), and a shop with a battery and buy every item

edit: did they patch Pinking Shears to make it like.... 500x times worse? that fucker wouldn't even clear out basic enemies in a room because it was acting like an idiot. i only got it to stick to one boss in the whole run.aftepl

Deband

Is anyone having control issues with the switch version? My aim is all over the place At first I thought it was the sticks on the joycons. But I now have a pro controller and it's much the same. When charging moms knife it shoots at diagonals most of the time, making the game largely unplayable.

Stat!

Eh. For Greed mode it's enough to just go for damage. But for Greedier, your last sentence is very (and unfortunately) true.

I agree. For regular greed mode, it doesn't matter. But for Greedier mode, it does.

I love AB+ but I think Hush, Delerium, and Ultra Greed are awful boss fights

dickroach

I agree. For regular greed mode, it doesn't matter. But for Greedier mode, it does.

I love AB+ but I think Hush, Delerium, and Ultra Greed are awful boss fights

you can usually tell by like the fourth floor if you're going to be able to take them or not.
of course there's the unusual instance where you'll pick up Knife, Tech X, or Brimstone in the womb or something (I actually got Tech X on Hush's floor in my last run). if you get any of those items and can't beat Hush, Delirium, or Ultra Greed you just need to get better at not getting hit.

Stat!

you can usually tell by like the fourth floor if you're going to be able to take them or not.
of course there's the unusual instance where you'll pick up Knife, Tech X, or Brimstone in the womb or something (I actually got Tech X on Hush's floor in my last run). if you get any of those items and can't beat Hush, Delirium, or Ultra Greed you just need to get better at not getting hit.

Oh I say this as someone who has hundreds and hundreds of hours in Isaac both on the PS4 and PC, I can easily get to hush 95% of my runs and beat him in most of them. The boss fights themselves are just not fun.

Heck, if you really wanted to, you can beat him with blue/red candle.

I have already completed everything I can in the game. But now I just Eden run everything and always skip Hush unless I have a Chaos card cause I find it not fun.

Stat!

Door Stop and Multidimensional Baby should no longer cause crashes

Also the little harbingers now spawn their proper locusts (so watch out for War)

I want to love the War locust trinket but I always end up dropping it. Wonder if this will make little harbingers less high on my devil item list.

Top Bottom