• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

I want to love the War locust trinket but I always end up dropping it. Wonder if this will make little harbingers less high on my devil item list.

I don't think it's worth it anymore. The mediocre benefits of the horseman isn't worth the potential self damage from War's locusts

Edit: lol, they weren't even spawning the right locusts until a patch that just hit a few minutes ago (10 est)

I haven't played this game in about a month, and man am I rusty.

I lost 3 Eden runs in a row. One of which had an excellent build. I had a 7 win streak before this.

I ended up just playing as Azazel just to allow myself a win. At one point I had half a soul heart. I would have really felt bad if I lost that run.

Oreoleo

I hadn't played in about a month after getting burned out doing daily challenges every day, and just beat Mega Satan for the first time on a whim with Samson, who I hadn't even beaten Moms Heart with yet. Playing on Switch so it unlocked Appolyon too! Making progress in this game feels so damn good. Only The Lamb (I really dislike the normal Satan fight), Delirium and Ultra Greedier (blegh) left and that'll be all the bosses taken care of :)

Stat!

Something to be said for confidence during a winning streak.

I had a 20 win streak going with Eden/Hard. Unfortunately, I was saddled with Pandora's box + Isaac's heart.

I didn't get a single damage upgrade the entire run. My damage was like 3.13 or something insanely terrible. I finished the run at like an hour and eleven minutes.

But I did win, thanks to stop watch, Ludovico technique, getting a ton of heart upgrades, shoop da whoop (which I abandoned for a Mama Mega on the cathedral). I was also able to get over 10 luck which helped too.

No thanks to no damage upgrades and the worst chaos item pools ever.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hope there's a PS4 discount alongside the release. I have the PC version already, but would prefer to play on PS4 and didn't have mine when it was available on Plus.

Just need to find God Head, Plan C, Eye of Greed and Angelic Prism for all the items. Plan C should take me approximately 5 minutes to get (it's in almost every pool in the game), the others might be trickier, considering two are exclusive god items.

...and also beat It's the Key, which apparently is the single hardest part of this entire game, because I can't seem to do it. I always just accidentally step on a coin, or accidentally get Dark Bum, Bumbo or Bum Friend, which is an instant loss for the achievement. Even trying during a victory lap with something like Blank Card/Ewaz, which only requires me to beat 4 rooms a floor, still I pick up something accidentally.

dickroach

Just need to find God Head, Plan C, Eye of Greed and Angelic Prism for all the items. Plan C should take me approximately 5 minutes to get (it's in almost every pool in the game), the others might be trickier, considering two are exclusive god items.

break greed mode, get chaos. that's how I got the last couple of items I needed, which were angel room items. didn't take long at all

Euphony

Banned
So I finally beat Isaac in the Cathedral once. What is my next step in the game?

Your main goal now should be to either continue making runs to the Cathedral or also go to Sheol. After you beat the Cathedral or Sheol I think 5-6 times you unlock the polaroid or negative respectively, which show up after you beat Mom's foot. Your progress on how many times you beat the Cathedral and Sheol should show up on your file select screen as a partially filled up photograph.

Your main goal now should be to either continue making runs to the Cathedral or also go to Sheol. After you beat the Cathedral or Sheol I think 5-6 times you unlock the polaroid or negative respectively, which show up after you beat Mom's foot. Your progress on how many times you beat the Cathedral and Sheol should show up on your file select screen as a partially filled up photograph.

Awesome, thanks! It's surprising how difficult it is to find this info online...

Socreges

Banned
How do I not suck at this game?

How do I figure out what the power ups with question marks do?

But more importantly, how do I not suck? I can't make it past the third level

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So I noticed the trophies for this updated to include afterbirth+ but it's not on the store yet. Any word on a date/price for it yet? I'd expect a discount at this rate frankly. It's been what a year now? The fuck have nicoles(sp) been doing besides the switch port? ps4 version seems like an after thought.

Tank Jr.

Neo Member
How do I not suck at this game?

The most important thing is learning enemy patterns. You're going to need to maneuver around how they move and shoot with your stats varying every run.

How do I figure out what the power ups with question marks do?

Curse of the Blind, broski. You won't know until you pick it up. The curse is in effect until you leave the level or you get ahold of a Dagaz rune or Black Candle. Where you get the item from still respects the item pool it comes from though (i.e. Devil Room items don't appear outside of Devil Rooms).

Socreges

Banned
Ok Thanks. And I know that levels are randomly generated, but does the formula necessarily mean that if there are locked doors that I'll be able to get keys? I just went through a level and came across several locked doors but wasn't able to find a single key. In fact there was one but there was a crevasse in between and I assume I need a special item or character to cross it

zulux21

Ok Thanks. And I know that levels are randomly generated, but does the formula necessarily mean that if there are locked doors that I'll be able to get keys? I just went through a level and came across several locked doors but wasn't able to find a single key. In fact there was one but there was a crevasse in between and I assume I need a special item or character to cross it

nope. you might get plenty of keys you might get barely any.

key management is totally part of the game.

it's always sucks when you can't even get enough keys to get the gold rooms even if you clear every room and don't use the keys anywhere else.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Keys and drops are rng. Just cuz you see a door doesn't mean there is a key. You can get more from either room clear drops, buy from the store(obv need 1 to get in and $$), champion monsters, secret rooms etc

Does anyone know if Isaac Switch offers the same Cloud-based Upload/Download save option as Vita/PS4?

You're starting over fresh if you play on Switch. There's no cross platform save.

+ Honestly the best version of the game, to me. Perfect platform for the game.
- Has received no post-launch items, so have to just hope one day it gets updated.

Tank Jr.

Neo Member
nope. you might get plenty of keys you might get barely any.

key management is totally part of the game.

it's always sucks when you can't even get enough keys to get the gold rooms even if you clear every room and don't use the keys anywhere else.

It's also worth keeping an eye on secret rooms because you can potentially spend two bombs to get into a room that requires keys or avoid taking damage from Curse Rooms.

You're starting over fresh if you play on Switch. There's no cross platform save.

+ Honestly the best version of the game, to me. Perfect platform for the game.
- Has received no post-launch items, so have to just hope one day it gets updated.
Unless they've fixed it (and I don't think they have) the Switch still has issues with the daily and one of the challenges is busted, making it impossible to get all Achievements and all item unlocks.

I keep hoping they'll patch it though, because otherwise the Switch is perfect for it.

WHAT?! The infamous nicalis Nintendo patch promise issues this game? I thought switch version was fine. Literally was planning on buying this tomorrow.

WHAT?! The infamous nicalis Nintendo patch promise issues this game? I thought switch version was fine. Literally was planning on buying this tomorrow.

I mean, it's fine for the average player. I haven't noticed much slowdown when having a lot of items on, and I didn't know challenges were bugged either. Still definitely worth it if you haven't played the game before.

Nothing really gamebreaking.

osirisob

Neo Member
Switch update hopefully coming this month to fix bugs. And maybe add some Booster items?

Also next booster will have some Antibirth content and graphical updates to older Boosters. Edmund is hyping it up as an amazing Booster, so I guess it's going to be a big one. He's mentioned before it'll probably come with new achievements as well.

He's been answering a lot of questions recently.

Any word if they are fixing Dedication and The Marathon achievements? Up until now I've never been able to get them to register despite having fulfilled the requirements.

Been playing on Switch for a couple of weeks, the only time I really noticed any slowdown was when I came across a room with fireplaces on nearly every tile, and that was pretty horrendous... like .5 fps until I got a few of them down.

Slowdown when you break the game in terms of going OP (huge amount of friends, or 2x4 laser rings, etc etc). It's not crippling, but just like on PS4 or PC, if you go way overboard on sprites, stuff is gonna slow down.

99.999% of runs are fine, even fighting the final final bosses.

Any word if they are fixing Dedication and The Marathon achievements? Up until now I've never been able to get them to register despite having fulfilled the requirements.

I don't know if they know that's a problem. You'd have to Tweet Tyrone or Edmund and see if they know.

One boss has an item unlock for beating it. That item never unlocks, though. That item is also tied to a challenge, so it's impossible to unlock that item, that challenge, and the card that the challenge rewards. Because of that, it's impossible to get the achievements in the game for collecting all items and beating all challenges.

dickroach

Rubber Cement + Plop + A Lump of Coal (good tears + damage stats don't hurt)
seriously might be the best synergy in the game.
you can fill up a room really quickly with 1000 tears that keep bouncing off each other at an incredible speed, doing a ton of damage. it gets so congested you can't even see your character. took down Greed+Ultra Greed in literally less than two seconds with Lillith.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I have yet to 'win' or 'beat' anything, as far as I can tell, in this game. Like I usually die in the 4th or 5th room. Even if I get a good seed I go back and do it again but not everything is the same and I get stomped. I don't get it.

Like, do you just have to die 25 or 30 times to unlock enough items before the good ones start dropping in your round?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have yet to 'win' or 'beat' anything, as far as I can tell, in this game. Like I usually die in the 4th or 5th room. Even if I get a good seed I go back and do it again but not everything is the same and I get stomped. I don't get it.

Like, do you just have to die 25 or 30 times to unlock enough items before the good ones start dropping in your round?
I think in the beginning the improvements come from learning how to dodge attacks and learning what items are useful or not. Yes, you get lucky with items occasionally but the more knowledge you have on enemy attack patterns and the like the better your chances of survival are. I was the same way at first, but eventually it'll click and you'll start to get further and further.

UberTag

For the record, I can verify that it is possible to get both of these on the Switch.

For Marathon, you need to exit out of a completed daily run with the B button and NOT do the intuitive thing which is to hit A and access the leaderboards. The leaderboard trip with nullify your streak whether it corrupts and crashes you out of the game or not. But hit B immediately and you can rack up your 5 wins easily enough.

For Dedication, I believe it's just a matter of persistence. Fairly certain I needed more than 31 daily run attempts to clear this milestone but it unlocked eventually.

It's even possible to get Loki's Horns added to your unlocked item pool via use of the D4, the D100, the 1-pip or 6-pip dice rooms or the Missing No. even though it remains impossible to unlock the Loki's Horns achievement tied to defeating Lokii, the Glass Cannon challenge or the Rules card due to that glitch.

Does anyone know if Isaac Switch offers the same Cloud-based Upload/Download save option as Vita/PS4?
I abused the hell out of this exploit when I played Rebirth on the Vita.
Having to play Isaac on Switch without relying on this cheat like a crutch feels like I've had to learn how to play the game properly for the 1st time.

dickroach

no. you can have every item unlocked and still have runs with no good items.
you just gotta get good at dodging, and pray for good items (health, damage, and tears up)

I think in the beginning the improvements come from learning how to dodge attacks and learning what items are useful or not. Yes, you get lucky with items occasionally but the more knowledge you have on enemy attack patterns and the like the better your chances of survival are. I was the same way at first, but eventually it'll click and you'll start to get further and further.

What items are not useful is more important. Know the items to avoid, everything else is fair game to be picked up.

Learning enemy patterns and how to dodge is the #1 most important skill to getting better at this game. A garbage tier build can be saved with good dodging. An amazing build can end with poor dodging.

TransTrender

Gold Member

no. you can have every item unlocked and still have runs with no good items.
you just gotta get good at dodging, and pray for good items (health, damage, and tears up)

Gotcha. Well I make use of a phone app to give me the rundown of all the different items I come across so that helps.

I guess the other question I have is what happens after you complete 5 rooms or whatever? Do you ever get to save?

Stat!

What items are not useful is more important. Know the items to avoid, everything else is fair game to be picked up.

Learning enemy patterns and how to dodge is the #1 most important skill to getting better at this game. A garbage tier build can be saved with good dodging. An amazing build can end with poor dodging.

Totally agree.

You can always build to a good run by dodging. Dodging gives you more deals with the devils. There are only a couple game-winning items. (I can really only think of two where as other items need damage buffs to be good) but there are plenty of items that I consider to actively harm you for the rest of a run.

Gotcha. Well I make use of a phone app to give me the rundown of all the different items I come across so that helps.

I guess the other question I have is what happens after you complete 5 rooms or whatever? Do you ever get to save?

Not entirely sure what you mean? You can just save and exit the game and continue but if you die, thats it. You start from the beginning. An average run is between 30-40 minutes.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Not entirely sure what you mean? You can just save and exit the game and continue but if you die, thats it. You start from the beginning. An average run is between 30-40 minutes.
Yeah, at least on the Switch I didn't realize you could save mid run. The other thing is how many levels do I have to clear before I get to anything that resembles a single run?

UberTag

Yeah, at least on the Switch I didn't realize you could save mid run. The other thing is how many levels do I have to clear before I get to anything that resembles a single run?
6 levels. That's how long a run lasts before you've cleared it successfully once.

Basement 1 / Basement 2 / Caves 1 / Caves 2 / Depths 1 / Depths 2

That's it.

Stat!

6 levels. That's how long a run lasts before you've cleared it successfully once.

Basement 1 / Basement 2 / Caves 1 / Caves 2 / Depths 1 / Depths 2

That's it.

Repeat a few times and other things may change what a successful run looks like though.

Top Bottom