• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casanova

I'm in the market for a new television/gaming monitor and I am highly considering purchasing one of these 27" monitors. That is, if it can hold up to next-gen graphics?

I have no use for a larger television or gaming monitor. I mostly play games, no television. And I live with a roommate who is gone most of the time so I tend to stick to my room..

Right now I'm using a decent 1080p monitor but it's only 15 inches I believe... which sucks ass.

SO yeah, this seems right up my alley.

turnbuckle

Well I'm 0 for 1 on my monitor. I got monoprice's delivered yesterday and set it up. First of all, it can't be understated how bad the base/stand is. The one I received was sort of warped; an exaggerated description would be comparing it to the base of a rocking horse. I put some paper towel under it to steady the base and that worked fine - not an elegant solution but you can't really tell there's anything under it.

The big issue I had though was that the monitor would turn off and turn on. I tried hooking it up to multiple computers through multiple power outlets all on powerful to semi-powerful GPUs and it exhibited the same behavior. After a couple of hours of trying to put up with it, it started doing something else - the brightness would fluctuate wildly. But every time the brightness changed, the blue led on the monitor would flicker also...so the monitor was basically behaving as if I was pushing the buttons to change the brightness. It was going from a normal brightness to very dark, to very bright, to very dark, to very bright, to very dark over and over. Not at regular intervals, but it seemed to keep going in the same direction until it reached the maximum or minimum brightness before it would go in the other direction.

Taking it back.

Damn.

I didn't notice a single dead pixel. The display was beautiful. Heartbreaking experience :(

mr stroke

Anyone looking at the 30" Korean monitors should give the 30" Monoprice a look(which AFAIK is a re-branded Korean monitor with the LG panel). I just got one couple days ago and its a great monitor for the money($717)

i1nDcBLl.jpg

First one had some red blotches, but Monoprice tech support was great and overnighted a replacement, which made the extra $200 worth it over the Yamakasi Sparta 30" panels on ebay.

Picture quality is on par with my Dell U3011 less the heavy Anti Glare coating.

Since the monitors don't have a feature to edit brightness, I cannot look at it for a long period of time. I found f.lux, it changes the color of the display according to the time of day. Its great, but isn't there a program that lets me edit the brightness instead of making the colors more warm?

MrBig

Since the monitors don't have a feature to edit brightness, I cannot look at it for a long period of time. I found f.lux, it changes the color of the display according to the time of day. Its great, but isn't there a program that lets me edit the brightness instead of making the colors more warm?

What model did you get? All of the models I know of have two controls for brightness up/down right next to the power button.

What model did you get? All of the models I know of have two controls for brightness up/down right next to the power button.

Crossover 27Q with the white back. There are buttons next to the power button but they don't work as they shouldn't according to the internet. Lack of OSD buttons=little input lag.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Crossover 27Q with the white back. There are buttons next to the power button but they don't work as they shouldn't according to the internet. Lack of OSD buttons=little input lag.

Is there a model with a black back? Mine is the ugly white back, too.

MrBig

Press the far left button a bunch of times, you should see the power led flash red and the brightness will gradually decrease with each press, since the power button apparently works. None of the korean models have an OSD afaik, but they do have brightness controls.

Avtomat

Has anyone bought these in the UK I am looking for a reputable seller?

One more thing I notice a lot of the monitors say DVI-D only and no laptop GPU can work with them but Anandtech's review seems to indicate his Macbook Air with a Mini displayport to Dual DVI adapter works? Kinda confused about that, I have a mobility radeon 4670 with a Mini displayport and HDMI out.

MrBig

One more thing I notice a lot of the monitors say DVI-D only and no laptop GPU can work with them but Anandtech's review seems to indicate his Macbook Air with a Mini displayport to Dual DVI adapter works? Kinda confused about that, I have a mobility radeon 4670 with a Mini displayport and HDMI out.

AW and the other sellers should ship world wide, you'll just have to pay whatever import/vat tax when you receive the monitor and it may get hung up in customs for a few days since there is no free trade agreement like the US has with SK, according to posts on OCN.

the specs on that card say the DP link will support up to 2560x1600, but iirc you will need to buy an "active" Dual Link DVI to DP connector.

It may be with the cost of an adapter and tax that it would be better to just buy a u2713 for ~£400

mr stroke

Can't you adjust the brightness via Nvidia/AMD control panel ?

spadge

I'm using a Crossover 27Q. Bought from bigclothcraft on ebay for about £230 in may last year.
It took about a week to arive from Korea, and had a £20 customs charge on it when it arrived. No problems with it at all, and I'm very happy with it. Such a pretty monitor.

coldfoot

Banned

You can get a $99 mini-DP to DL-DVI active (powered) adapter, or just get a monitor with DP input. That's how I use mine with a simple $5 mini-DP to DP cable.

Avtomat

Thanks for the advice guys, I just examined my PC again and it is actually full size display port, thus the adapter can be found for about £40 on amazon.co.uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-BizLink-DisplayPort-Adapter-Powered/dp/B003XYBA72/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1364771933&sr=1-2

So I will probably be going the route of ordering one of either the Crossover/Shimian/Catleap if they can be had for ~ £250 like Spadge says. Will wait for a few months and see if prices drop as LG rolls out their new 2013 IPS panels.

mandiller

What do you guys think of this monitor Crossover 27QD LED Blade Pixel Perfect

Is this one of the newer models? I'm looking to get one of these Korean monitors. Has anyone had any experiences with these monitors dying? I'm looking for the newest model and one that's not going to die on me, also no strange tinting.

schwupp

just ordered a QNIX QX2710 - samsung pls panel.
hopefully it wont take ages to arrive in EU.

hardest part was the decision between matte vs glossy vs glossy tempered glass.
after looking at an apple thunderbolt in person i went for matte.

Calmine

I've had a Shimian qh270 since October and it's been perfect. Recently though I've noticed that when I first turn on the PC and then monitor it has all these coloured vertical lines.

Tripped me out as I've experienced this before with TV's and other monitors so I thought it was buggered. If I turn off the monitor and back on, it's perfectly fine. I know it's not my graphics card tried my new one and old one, so I'm either the cable or monitor itself.

Question is anyone else experienced this?

Also anyone else started seeing the 21:9 monitors from Yamakasi heard any feedback?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I've had a Shimian qh270 since October and it's been perfect. Recently though I've noticed that when I first turn on the PC and then monitor it has all these coloured vertical lines.

Tripped me out as I've experienced this before with TV's and other monitors so I thought it was buggered. If I turn off the monitor and back on, it's perfectly fine. I know it's not my graphics card tried my new one and old one, so I'm either the cable or monitor itself.

Question is anyone else experienced this?

Also anyone else started seeing the 21:9 monitors from Yamakasi heard any feedback?

pretty sure thats normal and just a result of lacking certain boot compatible software. it only happens if you turn it on a certain time during boot. if you turn it on after the bios stuff it should be fine.

Calmine

pretty sure thats normal and just a result of lacking certain boot compatible software. it only happens if you turn it on a certain time during boot. if you turn it on after the bios stuff it should be fine.

Oh yeah If I turn on the PC and then monitor on straight way it'll give the lines, turn off monitor and back on all fine. So I guess you're right.

Regardless not hugely bothered by it. For the price I paid around £250 couldn't care unless it does completely die on me.

schwupp

my qnix order arrived (ebay hulustar).
the picture quality is amazing :D

still tinkering around with 120hz - it worked yesterday, but windows was only booting after i removed the custom resolutions today .
anyone had that before?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
After a few months, I'm updating to say I love my Crossover 27Q. The stand is not so great, the white metal back is hideous, the buttons suck. But overall, the monitor is a great deal. I'd do it again in a second. My one issue is that sometimes, when waking the monitor, it turns into fuzzy snow. A quick sleep and awake solves it. Maybe it's because I'm using it with a Mac and some DVI converter adapter.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i guess ill update too. achieva lite still going strong after (~6?) months. my coding efficiency is through the roof.

BigFwoosh

Got my Monoprice monitor today. Visually, it looks completely on par with my iMac at work. I don't see any bad pixels, though I doubt I would notice anyway. The box came with every cable needed aside from HDMI and Displayport. The monitor casing and stand actually look quite nice to me.

The only issue I've encountered so far is that the audio through the internal speakers pops regularly. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the monitor or my Displayport cable, but I don't really care one way or the other since I will never use the internal speakers.

coldfoot

Banned
Got my Monoprice monitor today. Visually, it looks completely on par with my iMac at work. I don't see any bad pixels, though I doubt I would notice anyway. The box came with every cable needed aside from HDMI and Displayport. The monitor casing and stand actually look quite nice to me.

The only issue I've encountered so far is that the audio through the internal speakers pops regularly. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the monitor or my Displayport cable, but I don't really care one way or the other since I will never use the internal speakers.

If you're using it with a Mac, it's neither. It's your mac's DP audio input that's shit.

Wubby

my qnix order arrived (ebay hulustar).
the picture quality is amazing :D

still tinkering around with 120hz - it worked yesterday, but windows was only booting after i removed the custom resolutions today .
anyone had that before?

This is the one I'm wanting to get. I'm waiting till June though cause supposedly a version with HDMI will come out then.

I've been loving my Overlord Tempest 120Hz panel, by the way. The the resolution, screen size, and most importantly, color reproduction makes it worth it alone. The instant-on of the LED backlight is a big plus, too, coming from playing on my CCFL-backlit TV.

The 2ms input lag from the single input is noticeable, too, as well. Playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the monitor using Dolphin is one of the most responsive experiences I've ever had with a TV. It's pretty amazing. I can easily see how between the low input lag and higher refresh rate that you would have a competitive advantage online.

As for the refresh rate itself, I've had it overclocked to 96Hz, not wanting to fiddle around with getting it to 110Hz+ (because frankly, who cares if you're at 96Hz versus 110+? Diminishing returns at that point). The one thing about overclocking the monitor is that it makes scan lines a bit more prominent, but after a couple of weeks, I don't even notice them anymore. Supposedly you can play around with the monitor timings to completely eliminate them at higher refresh rates, but once again, I just haven't bothered to do so yet as they're barely even noticeable and who the heck cares.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I love this monitor, and would be on it all the time if it wasn't for the fact that I'm at a desk for 9+ hours a day as it is, and I can't stand sitting in a chair after 5PM anymore.

GavinGT

Banned
So I'm very close to jumping on the Q270 SE. But which site should I buy it from?

2560x1440monitor.com (slightly cheaper, but appears to be a third party retailer)

OR

Ebay (official seller)

Also, I have a GTX 560 Ti and I'm constantly using dual monitors. Will I be okay for normal Windows use with dual monitors, or should I upgrade the card to something like a GTX 660?

So I'm very close to jumping on the Q270 SE. But which site should I buy it from?

2560x1440monitor.com (slightly cheaper, but appears to be a third party retailer)

OR

Ebay (official seller)

Also, I have a GTX 560 Ti and I'm constantly using dual monitors. Will I be okay for normal Windows use with dual monitors, or should I upgrade the card to something like a GTX 660?
Normal Windows use you should be fine. I, on the other hand, have suddenly found my 660Ti incredibly bottlenecked by 2GB of VRAM gaming at 1440p and 96Hz.

beat

I just got a Monoprice 27" monitor. A lot of hassle to do so - they lost my first one before it ever got to the shipper, and the "second" one was built so poorly it was falling apart before I even attached the stand. But now I finally have it (I guess technically it's the third one) hooked up and I'm liking it.

It actually has an on-screen menu, but even so all the buttons are hidden around the back of the monitor and I find it easier to just use a program like ScreenBright. (thankfully this monitor accepts brightness and contrast commands through the DVI cable.)

In fairness, I should say there's noticeable light bleeding at the edges, so uniformity is a problem.

Just gotta say I went ahead and ordered one and got it in today. Incredible. I opted for the pixel perfect edition and it was only $309 with no tax and free shipping. Only negative is the stand is really cheap and flimsy, but the monitor is gorgeous.

beat

Only negative is the stand is really cheap and flimsy, but the monitor is gorgeous.

I got a monitor arm on eBay because my stand was super basic. I'm quite pleased with the arm. It was 60% of retail price and seems like it was like new. (Humanscale M2 arm)

I got a monitor arm on eBay because my stand was super basic. I'm quite pleased with the arm. It was 60% of retail price and seems like it was like new. (Humanscale M2 arm)

Nice, how hard I it to to the neck of the stand off since it's attached to the monitor?

beat

Nice, how hard I it to to the neck of the stand off since it's attached to the monitor?

I'm not entirely sure what that question means, but the setup for this particular arm was pretty easy and I managed to do it myself. It includes a few Allen wrenches but you will also need a Phillips screwdriver.

Fury Sense

So.... anyone with the ebay green-sum achieva shimian 27" know what kind of screw connects the stand to the monitor? I've lost mine :D Tried about 15 different shapes and sizes

If not, any recommendations on a new stand altogether? Not a wall mount

shira

Which of these monitors has the best contrast ratio, specifically the lowest black levels.
The extra resolution is nice, but not if the trade off is a washed out picture.

Nobody really buys them to review them, they are what they are and quality varies from shipment to shipment. Sometimes you get crap sometimes you get good stuff - that's why it's a risk with such a low price. We could both buy the same monitor from the same seller and end up with completely different experiences.

Nobody really buys them to review them, they are what they are and quality varies from shipment to shipment. Sometimes you get crap sometimes you get good stuff - that's why it's a risk with such a low price. We could both buy the same monitor from the same seller and end up with completely different experiences.

There aren't any sites like Anandtech, PCadvisor or Tftcentral reviewing these monitors with actual hard number for contrast, black levels, viewing angles, ghosting & input lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom