• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

There aren't any sites like Anandtech, PCadvisor or Tftcentral reviewing these monitors with actual hard number for contrast, black levels, viewing angles, ghosting & input lag?

It's all the same panel as the 27" apple cinema display, but iirc anandtech did a review specifically on the Shimian model if you want to search for that.

Ptaaty

If I have a hardware calibrator (Colormunki Display) the end result should be the same as a higher end brand with the same panel but better control set / software, correct?

beat

If I have a hardware calibrator (Colormunki Display) the end result should be the same as a higher end brand with the same panel but better control set / software, correct?

Can calibration fix non-uniform backlighting though?

MrBig

Since (most of) these dont have hardware calibration you'd have to use software calibration, which is quite limited in terms of support in windows and so if you get a bad panel you're pretty much screwed unless you can negotiate well.

Ordered two QNIX 27" 1440 Monitors from Greensum. Took 4 days to arrive and no dead pixels and only a little light bleed from one of the monitors. I paid extra for the pixel perfect versions. I'm very happy with my choice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111073520913?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Got the same one from the same seller last week for $309. Check the seller's store as I think he is still selling the cheaper perfect pixel one. After using it more it does have some backlight bleeding from the corners when watching a movie unless I turn the brightness down, but it isn't really that bad.

About to take the plunge and get a QNIX QX2710 from ipsledmonitors.com. (Snagging it off of there for their return policy and not having to deal with customs. Have heard good things from that site, should be worth paying the extra $30 or so for me.)

Was going to get the glossy, since my room is generally fairly dark, but I've read that the matte ones are actually really nice, and really don't affect the picture quality at all.

Snagged the QNIX QX2710. A buddy of mine got one awhile ago, and it was stuck in customs for a week or two, but mine shipped out of Korea in about a day, which is nice.

Been using the QNIX QX2710 for about 5 days now. It's amazing. Highly recommended. There's some light bleed around the edges, but that honestly doesn't bother me too much. And the stand is absolutely horrid. But other than that, I don't think I ever want to go back.

I've got my two old monitors setup as well, for secondary monitors. (More screen space helps me a lot with work.) I'm continually surprised by how bad they look sitting next to this bad boy. I always thought they were decent monitors, but the contrast is just huge.

I really don't want to spent the money on the Dell 2713 since the price on the Crossover is so much more attractive, even though I prefer anti glare, but I'd really like to use the PS4 on whichever monitor I get as well.

I'm seeing most of these Korean monitors only have a DVI input, and any more inputs than that and the price skyrockets, anyone know of a good monitor for me? If it comes down to it I'll get the Dell Ultrasharp...

edit: So I placed an order for this Crossover model, hopefully this monitor can scale 1080p content through the HDMI, otherwise I'm just happy to upgrade

Sethos

Banned
Guess I joined the wagon.

Sunday night I ordered a QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll [Matte]. Currently sitting in Copenhagen with a "Package Not Due For Delivery" which I assume means it's not coming today -- The estimated delivery time is also for tomorrow. Still, very impressive speed.

I know it's a gamble but man, I might cry if it's DOA :p I also hope I get one of the quality batch panels so I can do 120Hz.

Anyone else have the above monitor? Any experiences?

Guess I joined the wagon.

Sunday night I ordered a QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll [Matte]. Currently sitting in Copenhagen with a "Package Not Due For Delivery" which I assume means it's not coming today -- The estimated delivery time is also for tomorrow. Still, very impressive speed.

I know it's a gamble but man, I might cry if it's DOA :p I also hope I get one of the quality batch panels so I can do 120Hz.

I have that one! It's great. My main complaint is light bleed...there's a section on the bottom left that's pretty noticeable, especially during somewhat dark scenes in movies or games. It's not as bad as some of the ones I've seen online, though. Kind of irritating, but I can live with it. (And the stand is horrid, but that's a given with most of these monitors.)

It's really beautiful otherwise, though. I don't want to ever go back to having a primary monitor that's not 1440p.

Sethos

Banned
I have that one! It's great. My main complaint is light bleed...there's a section on the bottom left that's pretty noticeable, especially during somewhat dark scenes in movies or games. It's not as bad as some of the ones I've seen online, though. Kind of irritating, but I can live with it. (And the stand is horrid, but that's a given with most of these monitors.)

It's really beautiful otherwise, though. I don't want to ever go back to having a primary monitor that's not 1440p.

Yeah, I think the primary complaints with a majority of monitors is the stand and secondly the light bleed, which varies but is usually always present. However for the bleed, I'm usually never in a lighting environment that makes it apparent.

My main monitor is currently a 30" Dell 2560x1600, so not much of an upgrade per say but 16:10 is annoying when doing lots of recording, plus the fact these monitors overclock so easily is a big plus.

By the way, what's the 'best' way to overclock the monitor, piece of software or custom resolution with a higher Hz setting? Also which software do you use to confirm the OC?

I am not as happy with mine as I could be. The panel I got had issues with overclocking to 120hz and got even more unstable over time, right now its sitting at 100hz without any issues at least. Then there is the problem with color management as things get too dark when you overclock and I don't have a good way of fixing it. ICC profiles don't effect games and GPU control panel color settings might get reset sometimes.

Also I noticed that some games don't behave to well with the 100hz refresh rate that I set and that audio gets out of sync during cutscenes and movies.

Personally I think I would have appreciated a 120hz display that could do strobe backlighting more but then again I honestly don't see the appeal of really large panels.

By the way, what's the 'best' way to overclock the monitor, piece of software or custom resolution with a higher Hz setting? Also which software do you use to confirm the OC?

Personally I create a custom resolution in the control panel for desktop but it doesn't work for games so I have to use http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

But then there are always issues with games not supporting custom refresh rates or anything more than 60hz

Sethos

Banned
Just received the monitor, appears fine ... Then it developed a strobing effect with the backlighting and I was like "Ah fuck". Tried changing cables etc. nothing. I then turned up the Hz to 110 and it disappeared, phew! However it looks like 120Hz might be slightly out of reach. It works for a few seconds then starts a weird multi-colored blue screen.

Think I might do 90hz, that's divisible by 30, provides the best colours and no strobing.

EDIT: After breaking it in, it does 120Hz no problem.

Hmmm looks like my monitor finally died after 3 months, the screen just goes blank any time I connect it to the PC. Guess I was just unlucky.

lazybum

Neo Member
I just received one of the Qnix 2710's and it looks like it's in good shape, but I'm in the middle of a new PC build so I can't really test it out yet.

I'm having trouble finding the serial number on the monitor or box, though. I see what looks like a phone number on the box and no number on the monitor that I can find. Anyone know where it is? I need it to register with squaretrade.

A storm killed one of my monitors last night so I need to replace it and I'm not going lower is res (had 1920x1200)

I need a monitor in the $400 and under range, that has 100x100 VESA mount compatibility and will be good for both work (I work via a Virtual Desktop client, lots of text) and gaming.

Obviously one with a built in scaler would be great but I doubt I'll get that without going over $400. It's not a huge deal, I have a GTX 680 so the card can handle any thing that's needed.

EDIT: Been looking at this one, a little over my price point but it's close. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKAS...5130?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19d30075ca

EDIT #2: Also found this one, same as above, a little over my price range but worth looking into http://www.ipsledmonitors.com/QNIX-QX2710LED-Evolution-II-Monitor-Display-Port-p/qni3.htm

MrBig

A storm killed one of my monitors last night so I need to replace it and I'm not going lower is res (had 1920x1200)

I need a monitor in the $400 and under range, that has 100x100 VESA mount compatibility and will be good for both work (I work via a Virtual Desktop client, lots of text) and gaming.

Obviously one with a built in scaler would be great but I doubt I'll get that without going over $400. It's not a huge deal, I have a GTX 680 so the card can handle any thing that's needed.

EDIT: Been looking at this one, a little over my price point but it's close. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKAS...5130?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19d30075ca

EDIT #2: Also found this one, same as above, a little over my price range but worth looking into http://www.ipsledmonitors.com/QNIX-QX2710LED-Evolution-II-Monitor-Display-Port-p/qni3.htm

I'd get a 27Q/tune with the new H-IPS panel or the QNIX, they are currently the best options for quality/reliability. I'd also recommend buying from accessories whole on ebay, he sells both for ~$320 (shipping included) and my dealing with them for repairs on the old 27Q model was fantastic, prompt and free replacement parts, 2-3 day shipping on the monitor and the parts I received.

Flek

Banned
Ok if its true that they are the same panels as with the thunderbolt displays please recommend me a model :

- best color accuracy
- best overall build quality
- working with MB Airs

??

MrBig

Wow, awesome. What part of Florida are you in? I haven't had much luck with UPS/Fedex lately...they've been so slow

AW uses whatever sort of business class international air shipping, so there shouldn't be any issues that come with domestic ground shipping. I lived in Tampa when I received it.

AW uses whatever sort of business class international air shipping, so there shouldn't be any issues that come with domestic ground shipping. I lived in Tampa when I received it.

Nice. I can't wait.

Right now I'm using a 23" HP 2311xi, which is IPS and pretty good. I had ordered a used one on Ebay to compliment it (I'm kind of OCD) but the guy flaked out and I just want dat resolution.

dakilla13

I'm gonna buy one of these soon. Any opinions on:

Crossover Black Tune
QNIX 2710 Evolution
Shimian QH2700-IPSMS

The Crossover is the most expensive, but I'm not seeing any other major differences between the 3. Any advantage on the IPS panel in the Shimian vs the PLS panel in the QNIX?

Zeth

I'm planning to buy one in the next few days as well. I'm currently considering the QNIX on amazon with "perfect pixel" thing. It's $379 from Ecomade Arena (4.8 stars with ~1k reviews). Should I be looking anywhere else? I tend to avoid ebay but I'm open to suggestions.

edit: noticed the QNix has just one DVI input. This means I'll probably go with the Crossover. How are the 30" models? Those are tempting.

AJLma

Just received my Crossover 27QW AH-IPS monitor from Amazon and this thing is blowing me away. The clarity, the colors and the brightness are amazing.

I'm upgrading from an ASUS VS248H-P, which I bought thinking it was a slightly above average 1080P monitor, and this thing just decimates it. Easily the best purchase I've made for the gaming PC. That ASUS was doing my 7970 no justice at all.

On sale for $320 shipped @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZM7GCY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I purchased from seller MNW Global if anyone wants to know.

Bad news is, I do have one dead pixel in a somewhat prominent center position. But it's so tiny that I'm looking at my monitor right now on Gaf-Light and can't even find it.

We'll see how it holds up over time, but man. I seriously had no idea what I've been missing. This shit is absurd.

longdi

Banned
I'm gonna buy one of these soon. Any opinions on:

Crossover Black Tune
QNIX 2710 Evolution
Shimian QH2700-IPSMS

The Crossover is the most expensive, but I'm not seeing any other major differences between the 3. Any advantage on the IPS panel in the Shimian vs the PLS panel in the QNIX?

QNIX imo.
PLS > IPS

BPoole

I've had my Yamakasi Catleap for close to two years at this point and it has held up very well. No dead pixels or any issues. My biggest complaints about it is how bad the stand is. A slight bump of my desk will make the monitor wobble around. I looked into getting it wall mounted but it requires me to remove the whole bezel and risk damaging it.

Once monitors of better build quality come down in price I'll probably replace it. I have been very happy with it considering it only costed me $350 when I bought it.

My 1 year old Crossover still works great. No issues. I have the model without any buttons other than the power button so I can't even adjust brightness, and these monitors are bright as fuck. Anyone else using f.lux to make it less bright?

I'm still thinking about a 2nd monitor, I want a 120hz monitor though, where can I find one that is guaranteed 120hz, one that is already overclocked? I see many people being stuck between 100-119hz after overclocking.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
My 1 year old Crossover still works great. No issues. I have the model without any buttons other than the power button so I can't even adjust brightness, and these monitors are bright as fuck. Anyone else using f.lux to make it less bright?

I'm still thinking about a 2nd monitor, I want a 120hz monitor though, where can I find one that is guaranteed 120hz, one that is already overclocked? I see many people being stuck between 100-119hz after overclocking.

just started using flux, good stuff.

My blue led started flickering and now has apparently gone out for good on my qnix. Monitor still works fine and show does the red led light when the monitor is off. Such a shame as I just bought this a few months ago, but I guess I'm out of luck warranty wise right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom