• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Lore Thread

Sotha Sil

That Anticipations are the Daedra that the Tribunal used to justify their godhead, to legitimize their "divine" status.

Thank you but it was supposed to be a very lame joke about my username :)

Has anyone read the Keyes novels, by the way? I like him but the pitch sounds underwhelming.

Has the Elder Scrolls Lore Series by ShoddyCast been posted yet? I just marathoned through these well produced videos during the weekend and would highly recommend it for beginners.

Lots of heart and effort went into these videos - I recommend them highly as well.

Ah, the thread I've meant to make for like 5 years but worried I wasn't up on my lore enough to do so. Subbing this so hard only the King of England can make me read another thread.

I meant to do the same but figured it'd be nuked to death by "lol bugs bad combat Dark Souls" in the first page. I'm actually sort of optimistic right now.

Dyno

Great OP! That was an interesting read.

I love that part in an ES game where you collected a bunch of books, roll a fatty, and then just chill out and read them all for half and hour. It's pure nerdy RPGing at it's best!

I wondered why Sotha Sil didn't understand it. :D

This reminds me, there is supposed to be a great mod for Tribunal that greatly expands the Clockwork City and adds a living Sotha Sil... I need to check it out.

nynt9

I think the easiest in-universe way to reconcile TESO is to assume that most of it got Dragon Break'd out of the timeline.

Has anyone read the Keyes novels, by the way? I like him but the pitch sounds underwhelming.

Yeah, they're good. The story is tied in with a lot of stuff: the rise of the Mede Dynasty, the Red Year, the rise of the Thalmor, and so on. Very cool.

Valhelm

contribute something
Yep. I actually just realized that the Skyrim devs missed out on something big with the Bards College. They could have made it a real faction with lore education and instead its a bunch of fetch quests.

A Summerset Isles game really ought to have a priestly faction, where characters can study and be quizzed extensively on the mythology of the Aurbis. A cleric faction would be amazing, especially if it could be a kind of "anti Thalmor".

Esch

Banned
Hey Elder Scrolls bros, I guess this is the perfect place to ask. Is it worth trying to play Daggerfall?

Valhelm

contribute something
I think the easiest in-universe way to reconcile TESO is to assume that most of it got Dragon Break'd out of the timeline.

Yep, although a couple books in Skyrim suggest that the Dragon Break might have never happened.

Yep, although a couple books in Skyrim suggest that the Dragon Break might have never happened.

Do you remember which? I'm interested, I don't remember reading that.

There's definitely been more than one Dragon Break, though. The one at the end of Daggerfall was just the latest. If I recall my lore correctly, the Merethic Era was just one huge Dragon Break.

Valhelm

contribute something
Do you remember which? I'm interested, I don't remember reading that.

There's definitely been more than one Dragon Break, though. The one at the end of Daggerfall was just the latest. If I recall my lore correctly, the Merethic Era was just one huge Dragon Break.

The Dragon Break Revisited suggests that the Warp in the West was a record-keeping error rather than an actual godly phenomenon. However, most characters in-game believe the Warp actually happened.

Reyne

The Dragon Break Revisited suggests that the Warp in the West was a record-keeping error rather than an actual godly phenomenon. However, most characters in-game believe the Warp actually happened.

Actually, that was a reference to a real record-keeping error that happened at Bethesda, hence leading to the development of the Dragon Break:

Game informer said:
All the organization in the world can't hold back Murphy's Law, but sometimes companies find a playful way to deal with narrative discrepancies. "One of the main things we've always done with the Elder Scrolls is to maintain deniability" explains Kurt Kuhlman, a senior game designer at Bethesda Softworks. "As long as the lore is presented from the point of view of someone within the fictional world, it's okay for someone else from within the world to have a different point of view. As soon as we step outside the game and say 'This is actually true.' it's much harder to reconcile any contradictions."

A classic example of this in the Elder Scrolls lore is referred to as "The Dragon Break." During development of Morrowind, the writers at Bethesda noticed a gap in their timeline. Nothing happened historically over a period of over 1,000 years. Details of the world's history jumped from the year 1190 to the year 2260, when the later date likely should have been 1260. The gap was likely a result of a typo that happened when someone input dates on Bethesda's internal timeline. But before the typo was discovered, the game's fiction had already expanded past the point of making a simple fix. Events and details taking place after 2260 had already been established, so altering the world's chronology would have been a massive headache. The solution? Maintain deniability

"One of the designers decided to jump on that and started writing about the Dragon Break - an event where a group of religious fanatics actually 'broke time' through some esoteric ritual," Kuhlman explains. "I responded with another in-game book, The Dragon Break Reconsidered, which explained away the lost 1,200 years as a simple error in interpreting ancient records." Which of these explanations is true Elder Scrolls lore? Bethesda has never officially specified, and likely never will.

Source

Pretty neat how the lore developed like that.

Also, my personal theory is that I think M'aiq the Liar is one of the Khajiit who recorded the Dragon Break as mentioned in "Where Were You When the Dragon Broke?" and somehow he was affected by it, hence why he seem to be everywhere and know everything. ;)

Valhelm

contribute something
I like the idea that Ma'iq was just some Khajiit who achieved CHIM through Skooma usage. He realizes that he's in a limited fictional universe, but has been driven insane from too much Moon Sugar.

Some people think he's an avatar of Sheogorath, which is also plausible.

Also, my personal theory is that I think M'aiq the Liar is one of the Khajiit who recorded the Dragon Break as mentioned in "Where Were You When the Dragon Broke?" and somehow he was affected by it, hence why he seem to be everywhere and know everything. ;)

That said, M'aiq has also intimated that he has ancestors also named M'aiq, and that if Bethesda is being true to its lore the M'aiq of Morrowind and the M'aiq(s) of Oblivion and Skyrim are two separate forms of Khajiit.

I like the idea that Ma'iq was just some Khajiit who achieved CHIM through Skooma usage. He realizes that he's in a limited fictional universe, but has been driven insane from too much Moon Sugar.

Some people think he's an avatar of Sheogorath, which is also plausible.
I like this idea. Mortals achieve godhood in Tamriel all the time. If anyone could do it it'd be a Khajiit on skooma.

Eat that much horse and you could achieve damn near anything.

I hope the next TES takes place in Hammerfell or Elsweyr. I want them to get some incredible sand tech for those deserts. Plus, Elsweyr sounded awesome when described in Keyes' novels: drugged up Khajiit everywhere you look.

I hope that, if we get a game set in Elsweyr, they'll go crazy with the different Khajiit forms. Those don't all have to be playable races (it'd be impossible, anyway, since some are little more than glorified house cats), but man, I'd love to ride a tiger-brother into battle.

It also took me way to long to get that Elsweyr is a play on 'elsewhere'.

90% certain that TESVI will be Hammerfell.

One, it's the perfect tagline for a TES game. "The Elder Scrolls VI: HAMMERFELL". Two, the most populous race of Hammerfell (the Redguards) are humanoid and easy for players to relate to (courageous, lots of martial prowess). Three, lore is setting up Hammerfell to be the final bulwark between the Thalmor and the rest of Tamriel. Abandoned by the empire, they've already fought off the Thalmor once. My bet is they're going to have another go and get put down by the Redguards, or perhaps a coalition with Orcs and Bretons.

Edit: Four! Bethesda won't have to render a bajillion different breeds of Khajiit and can keep on pretending that somehow only one every makes it to the outside provinces during any given era.

Valhelm

contribute something
Didn't Bethesda copywright the Summerset Isles at the same time as Skyrim?

Hammerfell would be a much less exotic setting and possibly more fun, though. Deserts and pirates? Sign me up.

I really hope that Bethesda doesn't avoid Hammerfell because of racist financial worries.

90% certain that TESVI will be Hammerfell.

One, it's the perfect tagline for a TES game. "The Elder Scrolls VI: HAMMERFELL". Two, the most populous race of Hammerfell (the Redguards) are humanoid and easy for players to relate to (courageous, lots of martial prowess). Three, lore is setting up Hammerfell to be the final bulwark between the Thalmor and the rest of Tamriel. Abandoned by the empire, they've already fought off the Thalmor once. My bet is they're going to have another go and get put down by the Redguards, or perhaps a coalition with Orcs and Bretons.

Edit: Four! Bethesda won't have to render a bajillion different breeds of Khajiit and can keep on pretending that somehow only one every makes it to the outside provinces during any given era.

They trademarked Redguard a while ago, and it even got a Skyrim-like logo. I'm currently expecting VI will be called Redguard.

EDIT: Well, apparently the typface the US trademark office uses is very similar to the one Bethesda used for Skyrim. So I guess that argument no longer stands. More likely that Redguard is just a renewal of the license for the old adventure game.

Didn't Bethesda copywright the Summerset Isles at the same time as Skyrim?

Hammerfell would be a much less exotic setting and possibly more fun, though. Deserts and pirates? Sign me up.

I really hope that Bethesda doesn't avoid Hammerfell because of racist financial worries.

That would be...weird, considering the racial make-up of Morrowind and the racial diversity of Cyrodiil. It would also speak very poorly of some people who can relate more to a fantasy race of dark Elves than they can to a normal human being with a darker skin color.

Valhelm

contribute something
That would be...weird, considering the racial make-up of Morrowind and the racial diversity of Cyrodiil. It would also speak very poorly of some people who can relate more to a fantasy race of dark Elves than they can to a normal human being with a darker skin color.

If Bethesda makes a game where 85% of characters are Black, there will be backlash. Remember what happened two years ago, when Hunger Games fans didn't expect to be Black? I'm sure that sites like IGN or Kotaku will make a shitton of inappropriate jokes about Hip-hop and Somali pirates.

Still, I bet Bethesda would be more higher minded than to be put off by racist jeers from the peanut gallery.

If Bethesda makes a game where 85% of characters are Black, there will be backlash. Remember what happened two years ago, when Hunger Games fans didn't expect to be Black? I'm sure that sites like IGN or Kotaku will make a shitton of inappropriate jokes about Hip-hop and Somali pirates.

Still, I bet Bethesda would be more higher minded than to be put off by racist jeers from the peanut gallery.

If people don't expect a majority of dark-skinned people in Hammerfell, they're doing it wrong.

The Redguards are badass and Hammerfell is really interesting.

I agree, I don't think Bethesda would cave if it came to it.

I still remember GTA: San Andreas. People are ridiculous sometimes. Thankfully I think most TES fans would embrace a game in Hammerfell.

Sotha Sil

I don't know, they really hit the jackpot with two very euro-centric, traditional fantasy games; I have a hard time picturing them going for an exotic and/or magic-heavy setting, but I'm crossing my fingers. It's time for a change.

I think they could afford to go crazy for the next one. They just need to advertise VI as "the successor to Skyrim", and watch the sales explode.

Esch

Banned
It'll be in summerset isles. A lot of gamers are put off by the anthropomorphic/furry aspects of the other provinces.... And hammerfell isn't happening because gamers can't 'identify' (wink wink) with a game starring brown people. So there you go.

Drazgul

I think they could afford to go crazy for the next one. They just need to advertise VI as "the successor to Skyrim", and watch the sales explode.

They might, but imo realistically even if the locales were exotic, they'd have a heavy imperial presence to make it easier to chew. It's a cash cow like Sotha Sil said, and the formula isn't stagnant yet.

Sotha Sil

Sometimes I wish the streamlining and me-strong-warrior vibe of Oblivion and Skyrim were just clever ruses. "The COD kids are hooked, unleash the moral complexity, competing factions and deep magic system, boys! It's TES: The Summerset Isles time!"

They I wake up.

(To be fair, I love Oblivion and Skyrim.)

120v

I'd be pretty shocked if the next game isn't Summerst Isles... the name of the continent was changed to something alot more Elder Scrolls-y sounding: Alinor. and the Thalmor have been deeply involved in every main plot in the last few games... its hard to think they aren't going anywhere with that that doesn't involve an entire game situated around there

They might, but imo realistically even if the locales were exotic, they'd have a heavy imperial presence to make it easier to chew. It's a cash cow like Sotha Sil said, and the formula isn't stagnant yet.

Yeah, there'll definitely be a heavy Imperial presence. I was expecting TESO would be about the next Great War, maybe they'll tackle that in TES VI. An invasion of Summerset (sorry, Alinor) could be interesting.

I'd be pretty shocked if the next game isn't Summerst Isles... the name of the continent was changed to something alot more Elder Scrolls-y sounding: Alinor. and the Thalmor have been deep;ly involved in every main plot in the last few games... its hard to think they aren't going anywhere with that, or something that doesn't involve an entire game situated around there

The Thalmor were barely mentioned until the Keynes novels after Oblivion, though. But still, I see your point.

Sotha Sil

I'd be pretty shocked if the next game isn't Summerst Isles... the name of the continent was changed to something alot more Elder Scrolls-y sounding: Alinor. and the Thalmor have been deep;ly involved in every main plot in the last few games... its hard to think they aren't going anywhere with that, or something that doesn't involve an entire game situated around there

Plus I just thought of their mainstream angle: boats and pirates!

Esch

Banned
The ballsiest thing they could do would be to take us to Akavir. Everyone wants it, when are we going to get it?

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't know, they really hit the jackpot with two very euro-centric, traditional fantasy games; I have a hard time picturing them going for an exotic and/or magic-heavy setting, but I'm crossing my fingers. It's time for a change.

Morrowind was a huge hit. Hammerfell might pander a bit to the audience market, but I would bet that console gamers would be more receptive than PC games to a game full of Black people. I'm pretty sure the PC community is a lot less diverse.

Hammerfell could definitely be a huge hit, especially if it plays up the pirate shit and tries to appeal to the Game of Thrones crowd. I'd love to have some kind of ship mechanic, so the player could travel in real-time between the ports and islands of Hammerfell.

It'll be in summerset isles. A lot of gamers are put off by the anthropomorphic/furry aspects of the other provinces.... And hammerfell isn't happening because gamers can't 'identify' (wink wink) with a game starring brown people. So there you go.

Given how absolutely perfect Hammerfell is for the next installment, I simply can't allow myself to believe Bethesda would cave into that kind of racist pressure. My entire perspective on them as a company would change. Not saying it's impossible but I'll keep my cynicism in check until given reason to be.

Sotha Sil

Morrowind was a huge hit. Hammerfell might pander a bit to the audience market, but I would bet that console gamers would be more receptive than PC games to a game full of Black people. I'm pretty sure the PC community is a lot less diverse.

Hammerfell could definitely be a huge hit, especially if it plays up the pirate shit and tries to appeal to the Game of Thrones crowd. I'd love to have some kind of ship mechanic, so the player could travel in real-time between the ports and islands of Hammerfell.

I know Morrowind was a hit, but it was before console money (Xbox version aside). I haven't looked at the figures but I guess Skyrim blows it out of the water.

Though I think you're right, as I've said above, all they have to do is to find the right mainstream hook.

Valhelm

contribute something
If Hammerfell involves the Thalmor, would it be a direct sequel to Skyrim? It would be difficult and not very feasible, but imagine if it had a file-transfer system like Mass Effect. The player could start a game based on their choices in Skyrim, especially regarding the civil war.

What if I don't want the next game to be Hammerfell not because it's full of black humans, but because it's full of humans?

Give me a beast race game, and try to play up the animal aspects of their culture and physiology and make them more interesting than lizard/cat head on man body.

If I had my choice the next game would take place in Black Marsh. I love everything I read about that place and Argonians are awesome. Most likely though it will be Hammerfell. It really is the perfect place to set the next game.

Great thread. Can't wait for a current gen non mmo game. I need to figure out how to make morrowind pc visually and physically playable, the recent two with console controllers have destroyed my former keyboard playing self.

120v

i think, environment wise, Hammerfell would be a little too safe coming off of Oblivion and Skyrim, which were both fairly "generic" settings, for lack of a better term. i would think the developers would want more of a challenge... not saying Hammerfell couldn't be grand and majestic. but it just seems too predictable and easy to do a desert setting right after a nord setting

Plus I just thought of their mainstream angle: boats and pirates!

also summerset is the most technologically advanced civilization in Tamriel (as far as i'm knowledgeable). having a slight "ancient tech" aesthetic like the dwemer ruins would be kind of cool

If Hammerfell involves the Thalmor, would it be a direct sequel to Skyrim? It would be difficult and not very feasible, but imagine if it had a file-transfer system like Mass Effect. The player could start a game based on their choices in Skyrim, especially regarding the civil war.

I'd hate that. I hope TES VI takes place at least ten years after Skyrim, so they can brush over the choices you made in Skyrim (for instance the destruction of the Dark Brotherhood, the death of the Emperor and the reunification of Skyrim), and let you play as a new character.

From what I gathered, Alinor under the Thalmor also has a bit of an Orwellian feel, with the Thalmor NSA-ing everyone and getting rid of any dissident voices. That'd be interesting, but I wager not very fun to explore.

Valhelm

contribute something
What if I don't want the next game to be Hammerfell not because it's full of black humans, but because it's full of humans?

Give me a beast race game, and try to play up the animal aspects of their culture and physiology and make them more interesting than lizard/cat head on man body.

lol that's never going to happen

As cool as the Argonians are, I don't think we'll ever see Black Marsh or Elseweyr outside of Online or another game encompassing the whole of Tamriel.

120v

From what I gathered, Alinor under the Thalmor also has a bit of an Orwellian feel, with the Thalmor NSA-ing everyone and getting rid of any dissident voices. That'd be interesting, but I wager not very fun to explore.

i figured that too. if the next game takes place there it'll probably be after some kind of dissolution of the Thalmor (or at least i'd hope so)

Valhelm

contribute something
i figured that too. if the next game takes place there it'll probably be after some kind of dissolution of the Thalmor (or at least i'd hope so)

I disagree. If we go to Summerset, the Thalmor will be the main antagonists. They were set up to be such horrible villains, but without any payoff.

Top Bottom