• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I've cut down my mod list down to ~100 and still have the crashes. It's when I'm outside and I don't get any slowdown either, I just walk a bit and it CTDs. Is there any sort of crash log or something I can look at to try to find the issue.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?

This should only be used as a last resort since it can cause a lot of issues but it sounds like you have orphaned scripts out the ass. Depending on how far you're in it might just be better to start a new save to save headaches. Skyrim engine is incredibly feeble and can handle mods being tacked on but not mods or scripts being removed.

lazygecko

I am ramping up work for the next update of Immersive Sounds again. I would preferably like to finally get this thing released within the next week or the one after that... I'm trying to find new angles to approach and see if there are any new and different ways of improving the sounds and/or their functionality in the game that I hadn't thought of before. Blocking/parrying revamp is probably the biggest new feature and I think it's a big boon to the feel of the combat. Maybe you have some new ideas for me? This is what I have written down in the changelog so far:

IMMERSIVE SOUNDS COMPENDIUM 2.0 CHANGELOG

-Lots of new additions. Over 600 new sounds in total!

-General optimizations to some of the most common time-sensitive sounds to increase responsiveness, especially under heavy script load. This increases the overall memory load slightly, but the amount should be negligible.

-Blocking and parrying sounds for both shields and weapons have been extensively revised, and will now react appropriately to each specific weapon type. So a light shield blocking a two-handed sword, or a two-handed axe, or a one-handed mace parrying a one-handed sword, etc etc etc, will all yield separate sounds corresponding to the specific weapons/shields clashing. In vanilla Skyrim there is only one set of generic blocking sounds for shields and weapons. In previous versions of IS this was split up into generic heavy and light hit categories. So this update extends the system to its logical conclusion to maximize feedback and make combat feel more reactive.

-There are now also unique shield bashing sounds specifically against living and undead creatures respectively, so shield bashing NPCs will sound different from bashing inanimate (fucking) objects.

-A new set of heavy armor footstep sounds has been created. It sounds more subtle and tight fitting. If you prefer the old sounds, fret not! They are still available as an alternate install option.

-Draugr footsteps overhauled and expanded. They now have unique footstep sounds for a variety of surfaces, instead of just a meager 4 universal footstep sounds.

-Draugr also have a unique new voice overhaul available as an optional feature.

-New optional voiced Flame Atronach available. Now gives off a haughty daedric laugh when summoned and a scream when defeated.

-All wolf movement sounds have been edited and overhauled. The breathing sounds have been toned down as I found them to be a bit excessive, and their paw sounds have been slightly accentuated as well as overhauled to cover a variety of surfaces rather than just a single universal set.

-Spriggan footstep sounds have also been expanded to cover different surfaces.

-Fixed an issue with skeleton footsteps where the right foot would play the left foot sounds on dirt.

-Unique weapons like bound swords and forsworn swords now also have unique appropriate sounds available as an install option to further differentiate them from their parent weapon types.

-Added an option to mute the strange ambient sound playing while the player is ragdolled.

-USLEEP changes have been integrated into any overlapping records.

-Updated Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade compatibility patch. It now adds the appropriate sounds to the many new items added by the newer version.

xHiryu

I am ramping up work for the next update of Immersive Sounds again. I would preferably like to finally get this thing released within the next week or the one after that... I'm trying to find new angles to approach and see if there are any new and different ways of improving the sounds and/or their functionality in the game that I hadn't thought of before. Blocking/parrying revamp is probably the biggest new feature and I think it's a big boon to the feel of the combat. Maybe you have some new ideas for me? This is what I have written down in the changelog so far:

Does it still work as a complement to Audio Overhaul? Cause these two sound mods alongside TK HitStop make the combat feel 10x better.

lazygecko

wait, you made Immersive Sound? :O

That's me.

Does it still work as a complement to Audio Overhaul? Cause these two sound mods alongside TK HitStop make the combat feel 10x better.

ISC has been built to synergize with AOS from the start. Otherwise I would have covered weather/ambient audio and also the fundamental distance attenuation and reverb models. No need to reinvent the wheel in that regard. My mod instead focuses way more in depth on the active audio elements on the game and expands the functionality/diversity of them to a much greater degree rather than just replacing existing sounds.

I have Audio Overhaul and Immersive Sounds (and some weather sound mods) and really the blocking sounds are the only thing left that sticks out to me as a sound that could be improved. I'm sure there are other sounds that could be better, but none of them are bad enough to make them noticeable, at least because I'm not specifically trying to find them.

Welp still trying to figure this CTD issue out. Tried the save clean to avail as well. After whittling down the number of mods, it is stable enough indoors (can't load to the outside from the startup screen). I have a save in Breezehome which I can load and then go to Whiterun, the game looks fine until I get the texture missing then it crashes shortly after like so:

C0iX7RC.jpg

etu08BQ.jpg

jwQ85be.jpg

j83rSQl.jpg

Shortly after the last, it crashes.

TESVEdit says it clean and the memory log on SKSE shows it is nowhere near maxing out:

logging of blocks enabled
logging max values only
Timer disabled
Block1 Block2
512MB 256MB
203 116
203 117
204 117
205 117
205 118
205 119
205 120
226 120

Here is my load order (from LOOT):
0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
6 6 ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
7 7 notice board.esp
8 8 WM Flora Fixes.esp
9 9 UnlimitedBookshelves.esp
10 a HighResTexturePack01.esp
11 b HighResTexturePack02.esp
12 c HighResTexturePack03.esp
13 d Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
14 e Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp
15 f MLU.esp
16 10 Glass Variants.esp
17 11 AMB Glass Variants Lore.esp
18 12 Differently Ebony.esp
19 13 valkyrja.esp
20 14 The Thegn.esp
21 15 Ethereal_Ghostblade.esp
22 16 DCR_Blade_Set_Reloaded_v1_0.esp
23 17 HuntingSword.esp
24 18 BloodScythe and SoulRender Reborn.esp
25 19 Better Embers.esp
26 1a Better Dynamic Snow.esp
27 1b SkyUI.esp
28 1c ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
29 1d WetandCold.esp
30 1e WetandCold - Ashes.esp
31 1f ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
32 20 CoT-WeatherPatch_DB.esp
33 21 SplashofRain.esp
34 22 Dual Sheath Redux.esp
35 23 Beards.esp
36 24 BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
37 25 RAS - Riverwood CharGen.esp
38 26 -Stickier_Arrows- Fix.esp
39 27 Locational Damage.esp
40 28 Duel - Combat Realism.esp
41 29 Lore Weapon Expansion - Goldbrand.esp
42 2a AOS.esp
43 2b CoT-WeatherPatch.esp
44 2c skyforgedWeapons.esp
45 2d Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
46 2e dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
47 2f dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
48 30 dD-Larger Splatter Size.esp
49 31 Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp
50 32 Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul.esp
51 33 Painkiller's_Hrothmund's_Axe.esp
52 34 SDO Full-LOD - Waterfall Effects.esp
53 35 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
54 36 SDO Full-LOD - The Morthal Swamp Complete.esp
55 37 RealShelter.esp
56 38 Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp
57 39 DynamicMerchants.esp
58 3a Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
59 3b Immersive Weapons.esp
60 3c Unique Uniques.esp
61 3d Redguard_unique_swords.esp
62 3e Holidays.esp
63 3f Lore Weapon Expansion - Relics of the Crusader.esp
64 40 RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
65 41 Purewaters.esp
66 42 Cloaks.esp
67 43 The Huntsman.esp
68 44 Lore Weapon Expansion - Daedric Crescent.esp
69 45 Lilarcor.esp
70 46 SMIM-Merged-All.esp
71 47 RealisticWaterTwo - Waves.esp
72 48 SFO - Dragonborn.esp
73 49 Immersive Patrols II.esp
74 4a SDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.esp
75 4b Random Alternate Start.esp
76 4c BetterRiften.esp
77 4d Lore Weapon Expansion.esp
78 4e DeadlyDragons.esp
79 4f DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
80 50 Unique BOOZE Bottles.esp
81 51 Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
82 52 1nivWICCloaks.esp
83 53 SabreFurBag.esp
84 54 DrSKnapsacks.esp
85 55 1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
86 56 IceBreaker's Improved Reverb v0.025.esp
87 57 ISCompendium AOS Patch.esp
88 58 RSPatch.esp
89 59 AOS2_CoTWP Patch.esp
90 5a AOS2_DD Patch.esp
91 5b AOS2_DSI Patch.esp
92 5c AOS2_EBT Patch.esp
93 5d AOS2_RealisticWaterTwo Patch.esp
94 5e AOS2_Unique Uniques Patch.esp
95 5f KWBloodThorn Replacer.esp
96 60 AOS2_WetandCold Patch.esp
97 61 VMUVM.esp
98 62 Prometheus_Sovngarde_Gold.esp
99 63 Redguard_Shields.esp
100 64 Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
101 65 The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
102 66 armored-horses.esp
103 67 The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
104 68 RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Dawnguard.esp
105 69 SDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.esp
106 6a ISD_Longclaw.esp
107 6b Real Clouds.esp
108 6c TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
109 6d Perfect Legionnaire - Troops Re-equipment.esp
110 6e Isharas_PreventVampAttacksTillDGStart.esp
111 6f Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp
112 70 Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Brighter Dungeons.esp
113 71 Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

Really frustrating as I've already deleted the data folder to recover and reinstalled everything while cutting down the mod amount. Any help would be appreciated.

lazygecko

I thought of one more aspect of the sound that can be drastically improved... I'm redoing the body physics sounds right now for when ragdoll corpses bounce around. They will have more unique sounds for different surfaces as well (vanilla only has dirt, grass and wood).

I'd like to redo the ingot physics sounds as well. Granted, I don't have much hands on experience with what it would sound like when you drop an ingot on the ground, but I highly doubt it's that crunchy boulder noise they're using right now.

xHiryu

I thought of one more aspect of the sound that can be drastically improved... I'm redoing the body physics sounds right now for when ragdoll corpses bounce around. They will have more unique sounds for different surfaces as well (vanilla only has dirt, grass and wood).

I'd like to redo the ingot physics sounds as well. Granted, I don't have much hands on experience with what it would sound like when you drop an ingot on the ground, but I highly doubt it's that crunchy boulder noise they're using right now.

I damn near love you. Paying Skyrim made me realize how important sound design is when playing a video game, I do believe that one major reason as to why Skyrim's combat is trash is cause the weak ass impact sounds and sounds relating to combat. Your work helps the game tremendously. Good shit.

I imagine you tried fiddling with your load order? These days I always assume issues are load order related.

I'm using Loot so I'm sure where to begin messing with it.

I damn near love you. Paying Skyrim made me realize how important sound design is when playing a video game, I do believe that one major reason as to why Skyrim's combat is trash is cause the weak ass impact sounds and sounds relating to combat. Your work helps the game tremendously. Good shit.

Playing with Duel and Locational damage and his sound mod is transformational. Could never go back to the vanilla combat.

I'm using Loot so I'm sure where to begin messing with it.

Loot is good, but not perfect. I'd hunt down readmes for the mods that you think might be related to your issue (if you're only missing textures on weapons, look in to your weapon mods) and look in to suggested load order and whatever else.

lazygecko

God damn the new ragdoll sounds make such a huge difference for the feel of the game already. It's one of those things you never think about otherwise. There are new sounds now when corpses fall onto stone, snow etc surfaces. Previously it was mostly just generic dirt impacts for everything.

God damn the new ragdoll sounds make such a huge difference for the feel of the game already. It's one of those things you never think about otherwise. There are new sounds now when corpses fall onto stone, snow etc surfaces. Previously it was mostly just generic dirt impacts for everything.

Awesome man, hopefully it will be out by the time I do my next Skyrim playthrough (which won't be anytime soon). Thanks for making that Immersive Sound mod; it's really great.

Vivid Weathers, a big new weather mod, was released and it looks interesting. It doesn't look to cover a lot of new ground but I like that it can accomplish in one integrated mod instead of having a bunch of smaller mods.

lazygecko

I just passed the threshold of 3000 total sounds today. Pretty sure that's more than every other major sound mod combined. The next update is going to be pretty big.

lazygecko

Ordinator has been updated to version 7 with a complete makeover of the magic perk trees.

Also I finally got around to overhauling the horse foot(hoof)steps today which has been on my to do list for years. It will be like Improved Horse Step Sounds, but wider in scope.

And here are some nice new shots. I never seem to get tired over how my setup looks. Still need to get around to finishing that Dwemer texture set as well...

jtb

Banned
It's been years since I've last played Skyrim. Just built new rig, thinking of dipping my toes back in the water.

Is Skyrim like Oblivion, where it's basically unplayable without rebalance/overhaul mods? Or is vanilla pretty much playable and it's about adding more content and making the game look/sound/feel better?

It's been years since I've last played Skyrim. Just built new rig, thinking of dipping my toes back in the water.

Is Skyrim like Oblivion, where it's basically unplayable without rebalance/overhaul mods? Or is vanilla pretty much playable and it's about adding more content and making the game look/sound/feel better?

Vanilla isn't bad. But you should at the very least check out the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch, to fix lots of bugs, and SkyUI, to improve the interface. The game is perfectly playable with just those mods. Most of my other mods are just graphics improvements. I have a few gameplay overhauls but the base game wasn't broken by any means.

This one is less necessary but A Quality World Map - With Roads is a big improvement to the world map's usability as well.

If you think Oblivion is "basically unplayable" without overhauls, I find it exceedingly unlikely you will enjoy Skyrim without similar mods.

jonjonaug

Skyrim is nowhere near as bad as Oblivion was. There's still a lot of level scaling, but it's not quite like Oblivion where enemies turned into ridiculous damage sponges at higher levels. The way it works is that every area in the game has a "minimum" encounter level that sets the minimum difficulty, and that raises with your level. However, individual enemies don't become more powerful, rather they're replaced with higher classes of enemies. So there's still an upper limit on enemy strength. It's basically Morrowind's level scaling (or Fallout 3's), but across entire areas instead of individually placed enemies.

Anyway vanilla Skyrim is fine. The combat isn't great, but the balance is good enough for the most part.

lazygecko

I don't really agree. The game design and balance is still broken with seemingly no real thought put into it when compared with other big RPGs. Comparing vanilla against the numerous perk overhauls out there really highlights how poor it is. For instance wearing heavy armor is nearly pointless from a gameplay perspective, since by just investing a bit into the easily acessible tier 1 smithing perk you can just temper light armor to go above the armor cap. A lot of the perk trees are just really shallow and unimaginative in general, in particular the Illusion tree which just centers around making the small handful of baseline fear/fury/courage/calm spells stronger.

Bethesda are just plain bad at game design. If it weren't for the fact that their systems are just open enough for others to create something more compeling, I wouldn't be playing their games at all to be honest. Even TESO which people love to rag on is a much better designed dand balanced game, since it thankfully wasn't made by Bethesda themselves.

If you think Oblivion vanilla is broken, you'll feel the same way about Skyrim. At the very least you should get a perk overhaul for magic skill trees (because magic really is broken in the vanilla game, massively underpowered in the mid and late game). I'd highly recommend installing Perkus Maximus to make the skill trees a heck of a lot more balanced and insanely fun, along with a mod that makes the descriptions of the perks actually useful (the mod author is out of his mind to think this wasn't important).

Other than that, the base game is pretty damn awesome, and you'll probably want to experience it for what it is to work out what you feel needs tweaking for your liking. I guarantee there's a mod for it on the Nexus. Cutting Room Floor might be a good addition as well, since that just digs into the game's files and adds completed versions of all the small pieces of content that Bethesda had almost completed but had to remove from the game to meet the release date. UI mods like SkyUI and iHUD are also popular to improve the game without altering any of the vanilla content, just making the UI PC focused instead of vanilla's console focus. Finally, if you've played Fallout 4 and love the loot system, that's in Skyrim now too.

So, I ran into this thread again about a month ago. I then proceeded to spend about 40 hours over two weeks ("working from home") with mods. I finally got a very stable build together. I will post some screens and load order. I am very impressed with some of the new model replacements. They are photographic in quality.

lazygecko

Wow, that's really cool. You do the other IMMERSIVE stuff to? Like the Armor one?

No, most of them are by completely different authors. Just wanted to fit with the zeitgeist!

It's a better prefix than "Better" or "Ultra-Realistic" anyway.

UI mods like SkyUI and iHUD are also popular to improve the game without altering any of the vanilla content, just making the UI PC focused instead of vanilla's console focus. Finally, if you've played Fallout 4 and love the loot system, that's in Skyrim now too.

Similarly I don't believe that the UI quality is really a case of consolitis as much as it just once again fundamentally bad design. Wading through all that crap with a controller as opposed to keyboard and mouse doesn't really make much of a difference at all. The biggest problems are how they place style above substance, terrible terrible item/spell sorting and naming conventions (like healing potions being sorted all over the place because they have completely different prefix names like Weak, Potent, Quality etc), and just being overall bad at providing you with the information you need as fast as possible, like having to navigate through submenus to that overly snazzy perk interface just to see the numbers for your magicka and sync.

I don't think any of these things really have anything to do with being adapted for consoles.

rashbeep

Banned
Vivid Weathers, a big new weather mod, was released and it looks interesting. It doesn't look to cover a lot of new ground but I like that it can accomplish in one integrated mod instead of having a bunch of smaller mods.

I feel weather mods for Skyrim have been pretty disappointing. Especially since this was never finished.

Thanks all for the responses.

How are the expansions and DLC? Worth buying on sale or unnecessary?

Get them. Assuming you're on steam, the legendary edition is frequently the cheapest way to get the game (with or without DLC), as dumb as that is.

Oh and they're needed for a lot of the content mods that you'll be wanting.

Skyrim Vanilla is amazing. And that's from a person who started with Daggerfall.

LOL, I dont really care about the failings in the game. Spent five hundred hours in vanilla, and loved every second of it. Beth are great devs.

Zocano

I spent a bunch of time getting Requiem up and running since I had the itch to get back into an elder scrolls game and after 10 hours or so on a new character...

man is it too much of a hassle. While I like it a lot, I feel like I am more frustrated than I am having fun and am having a hard time placing what I don't like (so that I can find alternatives quickly). It's just a lot of small annoyances that compound all together to make kind of a grating experiences. I love the idea of a deleveled world (and especially deleveled/hand-placed loot) but that makes even doing simple quests incredibly irritating. Going through a very manageable quest only to hit a brick wall because one single NPC of the handful is incredibly powerful or scaled up isn't really that fun. The actual "combat triangle" is cool on paper but I find it much more irritating in practice because of how lethal everything is. Dying in one strike, arrow, magic bolt isn't fun when you can easily get yourself in positions that just screw you because the game isn't built around forecasting those kinds of encounters (I specifically mean in the middle of quest lines, not out in the world where you can actually steer clear of these areas).

Drazgul

What's your build like, Zocano? Crafting your way into the teens at least is a good way to initial success, but it can't be denied that Requiem does benefit greatly from at least some level of meta knowledge - going into the world blind is either frustrating or exhilarating, depending on your pain tolerance.

Zocano

What's your build like, Zocano? Crafting your way into the teens at least is a good way to initial success, but it can't be denied that Requiem does benefit greatly from at least some level of meta knowledge - going into the world blind is either frustrating or exhilarating, depending on your pain tolerance.

I've touched on smithing a bit (I think it's 20 right now?) but my perk points are mostly invested in Heavy Armor and Two Handed Weapons. A lot of my early levels have passed by because of speech though. Killing a bandit, finding dead thalmar around and taking their elven gear, and selling off all the excess armor pumps up the speech skill like crazy. It's actually a bit frustrating how slow smithing levels up and I'm not sure what are good settings for the crafting overhaul MCM settings. I'm butting heads with the mod more often than not and it's wearing down my enjoyment of its good qualities immensely. I'm still on the fence on just taking out requiem but I'm really not sure.

Drazgul

I think a lot of people who are planning on using HA still opt for light armor early on, the penalties you take on stamina and manoeuvrability without the proper perks is a killer. What's your plans on ranged capability (which you kinda need for dragons, at least)? Might as well get started on that too, it does make a big difference in early game. And even 2H builds should invest into some early Block perks.

Zocano

Yah I picked up the first blocking perk and have been doing some archery as well.

edit: My main discouragement at this point is knowing that I'll hit up against that wall many more times to come in all sorts of random quests and whatnot. It's not so much a frustration with the open world as it is that a lot of the game just isn't structured to deal with un-leveled encounters and requiem tries to bend skyrim to fit into its desired mold when often times it just doesn't work. Many of the quests just feel broken because of it and I'd rather not deal with that and play something closer to vanilla skyrim.

Drazgul

There's that of course, but it also tends to happen less and less once you establish your character properly - the beginning in Requiem is by far the rockiest. Some quests are definitely harder than others, so it could be that you've just unfortunately stumbled upon the trickier ones so far. I haven't played the mod in a long while, but if you'd like some pointers on what to do at your current level, I'd say try asking over at https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimrequiem/, they're a helpful bunch.

lazygecko

Morrowloot Ultimate and PermaZones are the main plugins I use to almost de-level my game without relying on changes bundled with a major overhaul like Requiem.

Wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to what is going on with my LOD. I have tried all the ini tweaks to fix it and I don't have any LOD Mods that I know of, mainly textures. As you can see in the pictures, there is a clear break in the LOD for the terrain making it very jarring. I can even catch up to it before it loads the LOD if I ride my horse fast enough.

I have Skyrim installed on an SSD so I don't think its a loading issue.

Drazgul

Morrowloot Ultimate and PermaZones are the main plugins I use to almost de-level my game without relying on changes bundled with a major overhaul like Requiem.

That's an option of course, but for me Requiem is now pretty much required to keep me interested in a single character for an extended period of time. Even with Requiem it's possible to grow too powerful and lose all meaningful challenge in the game (at which point I simply lose interest, the early struggle when you're weak and poor is always the most fun for me), but at least it tries to keep you from getting there better than most other mods. It is of course possible to fix that even better than what Requiem does, but that means a whole lot of mods and making sure they play nice with each other. But then again I'm in the fortunate position where there's very few changes in Requiem that I disagree with, and even for those you can easily adjust them via the MCM.

@Pocky:

Maybe you do need some LOD mods, then. :p Didn't the texture mods you downloaded recommend any in their descriptions?

I always bump my ugrids to 7, so you could always try that too - it'd make it less noticeable, at least.

Top Bottom