• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

So how is this house building mod, I just noticed it on the workshop and apparently it is/was the 3rd highest rated mod on the nexus (at least he said it was). I guess you have to actually collect supplies to build each part? Or does it go brick by brick? It sounds interesting on paper.

I made a video on it if you're still interested. It's a month old, but the basics of th emod havent really changed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLo-vSKYiNE

Edit: Also yes Derrik01, the nexus is weird for Chrome browsers - I'd recommend using firefox to browse it

Yeah that doesn't appear, it's where I first looked too and there is a small blank spot that looked like something belonged there but nothing shows up and nothing's clickable.

Maybe an extension is messing something up? I'm using chrome and it shows up. Its not Ad-block, because I'm running that and things still show up. Try using an incognito window to see if it shows up.

Derrick01

Banned
I made a video on it if you're still interested. It's a month old, but the basics of th emod havent really changed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLo-vSKYiNE

Edit: Also yes Derrik01, the nexus is weird for Chrome browsers - I'd recommend using firefox to browse it

That does look pretty cool. I'll definitely give it a shot. And yeah I remember the site working well on IE when skyrim came out but I've...evolved in my browser usage since then. I'll try firefox tomorrow.

Maybe an extension is messing something up? I'm using chrome and it shows up. Its not Ad-block, because I'm running that and things still show up. Try using an incognito window to see if it shows up.

Incognito fixed it for whatever reason but it's like all of my options like font size was reverted to default so I think I'll just use firefox for this place.

SkyrimREdone is so worth it just for the tweaks to the perk trees.

No more spamming leather bracers for smithing lvl ups, and it makes alchemy a viable choice.

Had a sneaky/alchemy/archer character. Any higher level enemy owned my ass face-to-face, so I had to hit them with poisons from a distance. Nothing better than planting a frenzy poison tipped arrow in the middle of a group of high level enemies and watching the show.

It also makes the enemies look for you A LOT longer, so the immersion breaking sneak god attacks were much less common.

It creates a new perk tree called "fingersmithing", combining lockpick and pickpocket. Also creates a vampire perk tree, although I didn't go vampire so I didn't check it out.

It does make the game harder at first, which makes it more rewarding as you level up. Unlike vanilla skyrim, there are a lot of locations and quests you just have to wait to complete.

Also recommend a mod called Morrowloot, a mod made in the spirit of Morrowind, with higher quality loot custom placed in dungeons as opposed to randomly appearing.

Wearable lanterns is great, hotkey that sucker and exploring at night is much more fun.

Apocalpyse, Midas, and Phenderix spell packages for some amazing spells. My personal favs were teleport (each city has a spell, and it takes at least 8 secs to cast), push (jedi style, Skyrim's mountains makes this one epic) time manipulation (slow, speed up and stop)

Better Sorting is essential. It improves the UI for inventory in every possible way. Don't play without it.

Playable Instruments makes craftable lutes and flutes that you can play and even use as weapons.

Lookup "Slof" for his great animal reskins.

I highly highly highly recommend searching "Skyrim Mod Sanctuary" on youtube for a fantastic video series reviewing and showing the best mods in the game. complete with british accent.

Too lazy to provide links but everything i named is easily findable on Nexus.

Derrick01

Banned
So since I've decided to start using the nexus again instead of the steam workshop, what do you guys suggest would be a good program for unzipping files? I used winrar in the past but I'm not sure if it's any good still or if something better came along.

MrBig

So since I've decided to start using the nexus again instead of the steam workshop, what do you guys suggest would be a good program for unzipping files? I used winrar in the past but I'm not sure if it's any good still or if something better came along.

Also use nexus mod manager; makes the addition/removal of mods extremely easy.

Dmax3901

I recently got back into modding Skyrim (magically the latest patch seemed to fix all my crashes). Been playing for a couple of days and now can't go for more than 5 mins without it locking up. Not a CTD mind you, it just freezes as if someones hit the pause button.

Started happening after I added a bunch of armours i.e. Witcher 2 stuff and also the Mesh Improvement mod, perhaps its that...

SmartBase

Is there a fix for this at all for the sunshafts? Same issue.

I thought all the sun glares and sun textures that come with most ENBs look awful. Anyway, if you have ENB customiser, go to SKY, then SUN, and put Corona size to 0. It should leave you with a decent sun that doesn't shine through things and you should still have sun shafts but I guess that depends on your ENB.

Loginius

I'm currently testing More Dynamic Shadows with Striping Fixed.
Combined with Climates of Tamriel - Dungeons & Interiors, it's really eye candy.

Too bad this specific mod is giving me so many headaches; seems it conflicts with every mod I've installed and running BOSS isn't helping either.

EDIT: it seems the solution was that my save was corrupt or bad; using a previous and, most probably, clean one works fine for the time being.
Tried it as well and had constant ctd's.
Wasn't the save either as I tried it with a new game and clean saves.

Just noticed that cot is apparently incompatible with sounds of skyrim.
Guess I'm a exception regarding that mod, works flawless which ever way I use it.

Only problem is that I somehow can't change the horrible sun that came with cot...

Naito

Tried it as well and had constant ctd's.
Wasn't the save either as I tried it with a new game and clean saves.

Just noticed that cot is apparently incompatible with sounds of skyrim.
Guess I'm a exception regarding that mod, works flawless which ever way I use it.

Only problem is that I somehow can't change the horrible sun that came with cot...

I was able to make it work but candles sometimes cast over-proportioned shadows (Riften Inn and Hjerim) that look very unrealistic, contrary to the author's aim;
after all the trouble I might switch back to my previous build... it has too many random incompatibilities, I had to check one by one to make it somewhat stable (98 mods here).

As for Climates of Tamriel (CoT), I mention the incompatibility at the beginning of my master list and it's not supported anymore.
I wanted to try Pure Waters, which some claim to be better than W.A.T.E.R., but it's incompatible with CoT too, meh. Almost thinking of uninstalling it..!

In other news, I ditched More Rain for Real Rain, a lot more subtle.
And I guess it could be interesting for those asking "what are the best textures/meshes to make my Skyrim pretty?", there's this Texture Pack Combiner that was recently released.
It's a hand-picked compilation of meshes and textures from the best ones (Skyrim HD - 2K, Serious HD, Skyrim Realistic Overhaul, Vurz Flora overhaul, Lush Green/Trees).
You have to download all the mentioned mods and put them in the folder provided by the mod: it has a bat file that will combine the files into the ultimate (?) textures pack.
I'll try this pack combiner later, after getting rid of the shadows mod.

Loginius

Those are actually exactly the texture packs I have already installed so I probably won't bother.
Real Rain is what I'm using, I also recommend Real Lightning.
I want to stick with CoT tho as it is the best weather and lighting mod I've seen yet.
I also just installed Shields on Back, which is awesome but requires some more mods in order to work with custom skeletons and realistic ragdolls.

I might check out pure water but I doubt it will make me ditch CoT when there is W. A. T. E. R. which works great with CoT.

Tess3ract

Banned
I can't get BOSS to detect Skyrim. Is there any way I can enter the install location manually? If there is, I can't seem to find it.

Loginius

Did you run skyrim since you installed it? (If steam Version run from steam)

When BOSS isnt detecting youre game it normally means it has no entry in the registry which "should" mean you have not "properly" run (/installed?) it jet.
(also happens when you are using a pirated version that has no entry, not saying you do, just making sure I cover all reasons I can think of for BOSS not working)

Try running the GUI Version as well.

Tess3ract

Banned
I did all that and nothing worked, I had to manually add a entry in the registry pointing to my skyrim directory and it worked right off the bat after that

Loginius

I did all that and nothing worked, I had to manually add a entry in the registry pointing to my skyrim directory and it worked right off the bat after that
Hm, very strange....
Do you own a retail or steam version of skyrim? (im just curious why there was no entry )
At least adding it yourself worked, be careful with boss tho, you will still have to sort some mods yourself.

Aguirre

i find it amusing that i can play skyrim on ultra in 1080p at a solid 60 with no slowdown, yet i can barely keep 25+ fps in morrowind and oblivion.

????

anyway, i got this game over the sale and have only added a few minor lord of the ring mods. i really want a lord of the ring music mod!

HooYaH

Hmmm new Skyrim Beta is out.

Update 1.7 (all platforms unless specified

BUG FIXES

General memory and stability optimizations
Fixed crash related to new water shaders
Fixed rare crash related to dragon landings
Fixed logic error with loading screens from add-ons (Xbox 360)
Using vampiric grip and swimming no longer prevents swimming animation from playing afterwards
Improved recognition with Kinect voice commands (Xbox 360)
Kinect-enabled dragon language shouts for French, German, Italian and Spanish work properly (Xbox 360)
Fixed issue with Dawnguard Kinect-enabled dragon shouts for French, German, Italian and Spanish (Xbox 360)

One thing that is puzzling is the water shaders. Not quite sure what to make of it, but maybe Dawnguard is going to include the water shaders they previewed a while back (Was it GDC?).

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/07/23/1-7-beta-update-available-on-steam/

Wazzim

Banned
Vibrant ENB is boss.

ibgDlFm5ILbjbk.jpg

ibpchmIE9GaXCQ.jpg

I highly highly highly recommend searching "Skyrim Mod Sanctuary" on youtube for a fantastic video series reviewing and showing the best mods in the game. complete with british accent.

I make Skyrim mod review videos too if you're (or anyone else) is interested in those.
(search for insane0hflex, 0 is a zero - or here - http://www.youtube.com/insane0hflex )

Mine are pretty short and to the point.

/end youtube channel plug

In other words, I'd like to highly recommend a mod called Crimson Tide - it's an essential download for anyone.
It adds a lot better blood effects to the game - check it out here -http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12798

I used the first release of it, and didn't like it, but retried it yesterday and really like it now.

I can't wait till particles become the thing next-gen. Random shit floating everywhere here we come.

Instead of overexposure, we'll get dusty and foggy areas everywhere. It will be great.

In other words, I'd like to highly recommend a mod called Crimson Tide - it's an essential download for anyone. I used the first release of it, and didn't like it, but retried it yesterday and really like it now.

When you recommend something, wouldn't it make sense to mention what it does and why it's good?

When you recommend something, wouldn't it make sense to mention what it does and why it's good?

Sorry, I did have a description, but I must have not saved my edit.

Basically, it just adds a lot better more visceral blood effects when you damage someone with a melee weapon, like blood will show on the armor, blood will pool on the ground, and gets rid of the jelly-smear-blurred blood when you take damage.

I'm not a "gorey" kind of person, but its definitely a mod thats essential to me now.

Loginius

Crimson Tide is a little too much for my taste, I think I will continue to use the enhanced blood textures.

Your videos are very nice, more informative than others.
I dont think I will need to check nexus for the latest mods ever again as it seems like you release those videos a second after the mod shows up on nexus, subscribed.

Naito

I make Skyrim mod review videos too if you're (or anyone else) is interested in those.
(search for insane0hflex, 0 is a zero - or here - http://www.youtube.com/insane0hflex )

Subscribed!
Like Loginius, I too favor Enhanced Blood Textures, it's less bold and gets updated more often.

As for modding, I'll be taking a break from Skyrim.
It was definitely rewarding, but Dawnguard doesn't seem will be available anytime soon and my focus switched to GW2.
I'll still check nexus, the videos and this thread from time to time, but no more active tweaking and modding for the time being (yay for more HD space).

Arken2121

I'm still a little confused. I just got Skyrim installed on my new pc and i'm seeing pics that have models looking COMPLETELY different than the ones ingame. Everyone right now looks butt ugly in Skyrim. What exactly is ENB?

MrBig

I'm still a little confused. I just got Skyrim installed on my new pc and i'm seeing pics that have models looking COMPLETELY different than the ones ingame. Everyone right now looks butt ugly in Skyrim. What exactly is ENB?

ENB is a D3D wrapper for post processing effects. To use it you would get the latest ENB wrapper version and then a style that someone has created, like this one for example. Then you drop the files in there into your base skyrim directory, as well as overwriting with an optional file if they are included and there is something you want added/removed by using them. You can manually edit/create them using the config files.

Your videos are very nice, more informative than others.
I dont think I will need to check nexus for the latest mods ever again as it seems like you release those videos a second after the mod shows up on nexus, subscribed.

Thanks =)

Hmm. I'll have to check Enhanced Blood Textures out again. I just remember looking at it almost 6 months ago and it was a mere texture change.

As for dawnguard, supposedly an announcement will be made later this week. My suspicion is that with the 1.7 beta patch, we can expect dawnguard by the end of August.
(1-2 weeks to test patch, 1-2weeks after that till release).

I really have no idea what Beth was thinking though...Release Dawnguard when GW2, Borderlands 2, and several upcoming AAA titles in November? Bad idea IMO.

Arken2121

Game works well! One issue i'm having is on and off the environment shifts in and out of focus and the same goes with my characters face.

Bento

Hello, wondering if there's a mod that improves performance of the game a bit? Some sort of optimization mod. Not sure if that is doable through a mod or if there is anything to improve at this point but thought I'd ask since I'm going back for Dawnguard :p

Hello, wondering if there's a mod that improves performance of the game a bit? Some sort of optimization mod. Not sure if that is doable through a mod but thought I'd ask since I'm going back for Dawnguard :p

No, not really.

I believe you need the latest patch for Dawnguard (patch 1.7), which includes the 4GB fix from like patch1.4 and some other general performance and optimizations.

I'd strongly recommend against downloading any performance "enhancing" downloads for skyrim because I've been in the modding scene since the launch and have not seen any credible evidence for mods that claim "more performance".

Bento

No, not really.

I believe you need the latest patch for Dawnguard (patch 1.7), which includes the 4GB fix from like patch1.4 and some other general performance and optimizations.

I'd strongly recommend against downloading any performance "enhancing" downloads for skyrim because I've been in the modding scene since the launch and have not seen any credible evidence for mods that claim "more performance".
Thanks for the reply, oh well the game runs fine in vanilla so no biggie but would have been cool to add some of the HD and Texture mods mentioned in this thread :)

Dmax3901

Posted this in community thread for Skyrim, thought I'd post it here too.

So my Skyrim no longer crashes to desktop, but it does just lock up as if someone's hit the pause button.

I've disabled esm/esp and it nothing seems to work. Anyone had something similar? Very common just after quick travelling or after a loading screen, but it also happens just out of the blue.

rubius01

Posted this in community thread for Skyrim, thought I'd post it here too.

So my Skyrim no longer crashes to desktop, but it does just lock up as if someone's hit the pause button.

I've disabled esm/esp and it nothing seems to work. Anyone had something similar? Very common just after quick travelling or after a loading screen, but it also happens just out of the blue.

Same thing happens to me. I am wondering if it has something to do with the autosave function because that is when it happens the most with me.

Syril

Does anyone know if there's a mod that lets you designate a chest as your personal storage and teleport items there directly from your inventory?

M.D

I'm past 100 hours in Skyrim and did all the major quests (main quest, guilds) and went from 1 Handed + Block to Archer + Sneak and now I'm investing in Conjuration

The game is starting to get a little boring at this point. Any mods that will put new life into the game?

Top Bottom