• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within PC Performance Thread

So I'm hovering between PS4 and PC right now. I'm using an AMD 7970, but what is the situation with AMD with this game?

Same as with Wolfenstein or does it run better?

RK9039

The default FOV makes me want to punch myself.

I was playing with, I think, FOV over 100 and the game is like ten times better. It also effects aiming as well, and I like it this way.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I'm hovering between PS4 and PC right now. I'm using an AMD 7970, but what is the situation with AMD with this game?

Same as with Wolfenstein or does it run better?
Go PC. You will not be able to achieve 60 fps in this game but you will be able to hit a solid 30 fps. The PS4 version struggles to deliver that so you'll have a better experience on PC.

Akronis

Wait, what? Are you required to run anti-cheat software at all times or something? And it has to check irrelevant games as well?

Some anti-cheats will actively search for Cheat Engine either running or if it's installed on the PC. It doesn't matter if he's only using it for TEW.

twisted89

Some anti-cheats will actively search for Cheat Engine either running or if it's installed on the PC. It doesn't matter if he's only using it for TEW.

Yes they scan for active processes but I'm not aware of any anti-cheat software that scans installed software. Bit of useless anti-cheat if it did, just get a stand alone version if it checks the registry or use a different folder if it checks directory's.

TGMIII

So i don't have the most powerful of hardare (2500k/69502GB) but the game just feels like it's stuttering constantly. If I bring up the engine based FPS counter it's showing the frametime sitting at a consistent 25ms and even if I lock the FPS to 30 it still feels like it's fluctuating constantly, it doesn't feel any better unlocked either. I'm also running on a 120hz monitor so maybe a combination of that and my aging hardware is causing the issue but right now it honestly feels unplayable to me.

Any ideas or am I shit out of luck?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
  • First off, create a config.cfg in your C:\Program Files (x86)\The Evil Within\base folder. You can do that by copying any other .cfg file in the same folder, removing everything inside of it and then renaming it to config.cfg. Also, add the line "+exec config.cfg" (without the quotation marks) to your shortcut (like this) or in Steam launch options (right click game -> properties -> set launch options)
  • Removing the black bars: add the line "r_forceaspectratio 0" in config.cfg (only works with 16:9 monitors currently, if you have something else you'll still have black bars unfortunately, but they'll still be smaller if you use r_forceaspectratio 0)
  • Skip intro: add the line +com_skipIntroVideo 1 to your shortcut or Steam launch options. Alternatively you can add "+com_skipIntroVideo 1" to your config.cfg
  • Unlocking framerate: add the line "r_swapinterval 0" to completely unlock the framerate with no v-sync. Add r_swapinterval -1 to lock at 60fps if you have a 60Hz monitor. -1 = v-sync at your monitor's refresh rate. 0 = completely unlocked, no v-sync. -2 = v-sync at half your monitor's refresh rate.
    There are issues with 60fps at the moment, but they are working on fixing these. Framerates over 60fps is "not supported" and they won't fix issues with these.
  • Removing the filter: add the line "r_skipglare 1" to your config.cfg
  • Enabling the console: add +com_allowconsole 1 to your shortcut or in Steam launch options

where exactly do you put this config file? I dont have a evil within folder in my program files, I have one in users, and then theres one on steam/steamapps/common of course. Ive tried it everywhere and I always get the damn intro movies and the black bars :/

Afro

where exactly do you put this config file? I dont have a evil within folder in my program files, I have one in users, and then theres one on steam/steamapps/common of course

this method also works for forcing no letterbox. just use "r_forceaspectratio 0" instead, of course.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
where exactly do you put this config file? I dont have a evil within folder in my program files, I have one in users, and then theres one on steam/steamapps/common of course. Ive tried it everywhere and I always get the damn intro movies and the black bars :/

C:\Users\UserName\Saved Games\TangoGameworks\The Evil Within\base

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member

users\you\Saved Games\TangoGameworks\The Evil Within\base

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
users\you\Saved Games\TangoGameworks\The Evil Within\base

C:\Users\UserName\Saved Games\TangoGameworks\The Evil Within\base

that doesnt work for me :/

theres already a config file there called theevilwithinconfig, should I put those lines in this instead of creating a new one?

edit: of it worked when I added them to the existing file, black bars are gone and the mouse is a lot smoother in the main menu so i assume 60fps is also working, im still getting the intro movies at the start tho :/

Akronis

Yes they scan for active processes but I'm not aware of any anti-cheat software that scans installed software. Bit of useless anti-cheat if it did, just get a stand alone version if it checks the registry or use a different folder if it checks directory's.

Oh I never said it wasn't foolproof; obviously anti-cheat isn't going to be invasive to the point where it would be able to determine exact location. It would most likely have the default install path.

Squishy3

The FOV fix is awesome but the sniper rifle zoom is a tad bit broken with it and turning the aspect ratio off. :p

i7Gfo4kJ72k8K.png

Skyzard

Banned
I think it's just a case of not knowing it's an option that the PC players wanted. They heard people wanted 60fps. They heard they wanted fullscreen. So they gave them those.

They didn't realize people would want the higher FoV to go along with that fullscreen.

They should watch more Total Biscuit videos before they develop another pc game.

Buburibon

Try using:

- V-Sync
- Triple Buffering
- set MaximumPrerenderedFrames to 1

I play with mouse/keyboard and have no noticable input lag. Can't comment on texture loading. No problem there (only cutscenes with fast cuts).

That's a must when playing anything at 30fps. :)

Yeah sorry, I wrote from memory and missed the Steam-part. The folder I referred to is of course C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Evil Within\base (or wherever you have the game installed)

I hear people are using C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\TangoGameworks\The Evil Within\base as well, but the installation folder should work just fine.

If you're still getting the intro sequences, try adding "+com_skipIntroVideo 1" to the Steam launch options, and to be sure, add it to the config.cfg as well (as "com_skipIntroVideo 1"). Make sure you have "+exec config.cfg" in you Steam launch options as well.

Akronis

So I have a 1440p monitor, if I play with black bars would I be rendering a smaller picture that could help performance, or is it just an overlay?

Seems that it is not actually rendering anything. Removing the black bars just zooms in the picture.

EDIT: misunderstood your question, guy above got it right.

Squishy3

The other graphical glitch like that with the aspect ratio turned off is the blood effect that occurs when you get hit will never go above where the black bars normally would be. Which it does look silly but I can't blame them for not accounting for that and the sniper rifle thing when they never intended for the game to be played without the black bars. Having the aspect ratio enabled with the FOV tweak is also nowhere near as bad as just the aspect ratio and the default FOV. I'm actually fine with the 2.5 aspect ratio and the FOV tweak, it's so much better.

Pjsprojects

Getting 50fps at 2560×1440 or 70fps at 1080p with everything max.
No motion blur,no grain.

FX8350 black small oc
GTX-580oc 3gb
8 gig Corsiar ram

Buburibon

The other graphical glitch like that with the aspect ratio turned off is the blood effect that occurs when you get hit will never go above where the black bars normally would be. Which it does look silly but I can't blame them for not accounting for that and the sniper rifle thing when they never intended for the game to be played without the black bars. Having the aspect ratio enabled with the FOV tweak is also nowhere near as bad as just the aspect ratio and the default FOV. I'm actually fine with the 2.5 aspect ratio and the FOV tweak, it's so much better.

The Flawless Widescreen fix might be able to get around those limitations, so I'm waiting on it.

I agree that being able to tweak the FOV while keeping the aspect ratio as intended would be just fine. For that, the developers need only to unlock the "g_fov" command for us to play with.

knerl

A FOV-fix is out, made by K-Putt!

Works great without the black bars (you can remove them by using r_forceaspectratio 0 via launch options, the config.cfg or the console).

It's a Cheat Enginge-table, so you'll need Cheat Engine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since there's a lot of people asking how to do this, I thought I'd explain in detail how to set this up + how to remove the black bars etc.:

Enabling the FOV-fix (via Cheat Engine)

1. Download and install Cheat Engine.
  2. Start the game up and alt-tab.
  3. Start the Cheat Engine-table you downloaded from here.
  4. Click the flashing computer icon in the top left, choose EvilWithin.exe and then click Yes.
  5. Check "Enable Gameplay FOV"
  6. Go back to the game, use + and - on your numpad to adjust the FOV. The default is 65 I think. Press + key 10 times to achieve 90 (one step is +/- 2.5). Some people prefer 85 because you will be blinded by the lantern with 90. You can see the current FOV-value in Cheat Engine.
  7. Enjoy!
It's possible to make an executable trainer of this Cheat Engine-table to make the process easier (one guy already did, but since a lot of people complained about malware from the hosting site I'm gonna put a disclaimer here - beware of malware or other harmful software. According to several scans the trainer itself is free from malware - it's one of the hosting sites that is shady)

Trainer: http://www.reddit.com/r/theevilwithin/comments/2jde9g/modevil_within_fov_mod/

A complete fix is on the way (with more settings) by Hayden, creator of Flawless Widescreen.

Removing the black bars, skip intro, unlocking framerate, removing filter:

• First off, create a config.cfg in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Evil Within\base folder. You can do that by copying any other .cfg file in the same folder, removing everything inside of it and then renaming it to config.cfg. Also, add the line "+exec config.cfg" (without the quotation marks) to your shortcut (like this) or in Steam launch options (right click game -> properties -> set launch options)
  • Removing the black bars: add the line "r_forceaspectratio 0" in config.cfg (only works with 16:9 monitors currently, if you have something else you'll still have black bars unfortunately, but they'll still be smaller if you use r_forceaspectratio 0)
  • Skip intro: add the line +com_skipIntroVideo 1 to your shortcut or Steam launch options. Alternatively you can add "+com_skipIntroVideo 1" to your config.cfg
  • Unlocking framerate: add the line "r_swapinterval 0" to completely unlock the framerate with no v-sync. Add r_swapinterval -1 to lock at 60fps if you have a 60Hz monitor. -1 = v-sync at your monitor's refresh rate. 0 = completely unlocked, no v-sync. -2 = v-sync at half your monitor's refresh rate.
    There are issues with 60fps at the moment, but they are working on fixing these. Framerates over 60fps is "not supported" and they won't fix issues with these.
  • Removing the filter: add the line "r_skipglare 1" to your config.cfg
  • Enabling the console: add +com_allowconsole 1 to your shortcut or in Steam launch options

Comparison screenshots:

Default FOV, black bars

90 FOV, no black bars

Default FOV, black bars

90 FOV, no black bars

Props to K-Putt for putting this up!

This is fantastic!
Seriously. Fixed an otherwise broken camera.
The default FOV is just horrible both while aiming and while looking around as usual.
Thanks for this!
Does anyone know if the PS4-version has the same camera movement issues like the PC-version with a gamepad? (Can't aim correctly in a diagonal angle without the sight jumping off in a straight Y- or X-axis)

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Top Bottom