• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within PC Performance Thread

Lucael

I got some bad textures pop up and short fps drops in Chapter 4. Didn't happen before, it's something that happens in Chapter 4 or time to put some effects off? :p

Intel Core i5-3350P 3.10GHz
Ram: 8,00 GB
GeForce GTX 760

kodecraft

I don't think console can get rid of the aspect ratio or change the FOV, so I don't think I'd like it much better on console tbh.

Plus I am big on keyboard + mouse for almost all games.

Gotcha, I have TEW on PC also, haven't crashed yet. The thing I do when PC gaming and I'm new to it 3 months in, is wen I game, I have nothing else running.

Also, if I know I want to game hard for a few hours I play my games off of a fresh boot.

I'm an idiot. Can someone help me with Cheat Engine? I followed that one step by step post but once I load up the TEW.exe on Cheat Engine I don't see any box to check "Enable FOV". What am I missing?

Xpliskin

Piece of shit keeps crashing to desktop. Fairly close to completely giving up on this game.

There's a trick from the steam forums:

1. Run steam as admin
2. Disable steam ovelray for this game
3. Run game from steam as admin
4. Check if overlay is still on by trying to go into it (ALT+SHIFT). It worked even if the box was unchecked for some people

Having a weird issue. Game runs fine and looks great with the fix however I'm getting pretty off putting input lag when playing with a controller on my TV.

I'm not having this problem when playing on my monitor but this is the only game where this happens. I did once have a similar issue with Rogue Legacy and switching it to windowed instead of fullscreen fixed the lag. PC gaming can be weird sometimes...

Any suggestions?

sigh. it keeps crashing, even if i remove the steam overlay. this is so annoying that you have to do these things for something you paid so much for.

Hoping for a patch to come out soon.

There's a trick from the steam forums:

1. Run steam as admin
2. Disable steam ovelray for this game
3. Run game from steam as admin
4. Check if overlay is still on by trying to go into it (ALT+SHIFT). It worked even if the box was unchecked for some people

Cheers, I'll give that a shot.

Bendoruu

Neo Member
Is this on purpose in Chap.5 ? Seems unlikely. When I go in other rooms, the blur disappears.

1413504271-2014-10-17-00001.jpg

Danielsan

The FOV fix is amazing. Coupled with the aspect ratio/border fix it's an amazing bump in quality. Sadly my aging 7850HD can't quite handle the bump in pixels pushed on screen. I still get 30 most of the time, but there are now definitely spots where it drops to the mid-low 20s. Guess I'll just have to run the FOV fix for now and maybe shrink the borders just a bit.

Also, how likely is it that the community will fix the sniper rifle and other effects that are cut off at the borders?

I have a GTX 580 and I'm getting FPS drops to low 20s in the Chapter 3 village. Am I likely to drop to the low 20s throughout the rest of the game too or is it just this section?

Phionoxx

http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen#FWSDownload

Flawless Widescreen has been updated with The Evil Within. It's the easiest way to get everything up and going.

Working good for me so far. Playing on a native 1080p monitor, downsampling from 1440p. Black bars gone, FOV fixed, even the aiming view still seems to have made it through without getting inadvertently tweaked as a result of the other fixes. Also haven't noticed a drop in FPS so far due to using it.

On another note, has there been any mention on why the steam achievements don't seem to be working? Is that a widespread issue?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is this Flawless Widescreen thing...a thing? as in, does it work / exist for other games, namely older games?

You no longer need cheat engine. Someone compiled the memory edits into an executable:

http://www.reddit.com/r/theevilwithin/comments/2jde9g/modevil_within_fov_mod/

http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen#FWSDownload

Flawless Widescreen has been updated with The Evil Within. It's the easiest way to get everything up and going.

So which one do you guys recommend I use? Also do I have to go back and remove R_swapinterval "-1"
R_forceaspectratio "2"
from the evil withinConfig.cfg?

Damn, I finally found out why the game was crashing for me on Chapter 2 so many times. The PCG reviewer was also facing the same issue and it turns out turning down the AA to MLAA from SMAA fixed it completely for him. So for anyone else facing the same issue, this is the fix.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is this on purpose in Chap.5 ? Seems unlikely. When I go in other rooms, the blur disappears.
It's not on purpose. This section is not supposed to blur like that. I tested that part on XO, PS4, and PC and it never did that. If you're seeing that it must be a bug.

finley83

Banned
Has anyone tried running this on a 560ti by any chance? Wondering if I can even get 720p 30fps on my machine...

(I have an i5 2500k at 4ghz so think my Cpu is Ok)

MEsoJD

Banned
Just downloaded the game and man I'm disappointed at how bad this port is. I know I need to upgrade my graphics cards, but nothing in this game indicates that it's really graphics intensive. It's sad because this seems like an interesting game. The community shouldn't have to add basic features.

It's not on purpose. This section is not supposed to blur like that. I tested that part on XO, PS4, and PC and it never did that. If you're seeing that it must be a bug.

that's how it looked to me and it really seemed like it was on purporse, but if it isn't like that on XO and PS4 it mustn't be.

Hm doesn't seem to be working for me. I left the Flawless Widescreen running in the background, with the plugins for TEW installed, but the black bars still remain when I launch the game.

Make sure you're running it as an administrator.

that's how it looked to me and it really seemed like it was on purporse, but if it isn't like that on XO and PS4 it mustn't be.

I've seen a lot of streamers experiencing the same thing, and they aren't using any FOV-fix or Flawless Widescreen. I think it's a bug in the PC-version.

Top Bottom