• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within PC Performance Thread

artsi

Regarding the supposed malware trainer from Guru3D: the guy who made it claims that it is indeed the download site that is the source of the malware - not the trainer. You never know whom to trust on the internet, of course, but I took a look at it and it seems true enough. If you choose the wrong download link ("use our downloader pls it's much better"), you get the malware - if you choose the correct link, you get a trainer with no traces of malware.

Be careful out there.

Those download sites are the worst. If I remember correctly even Download.com was caught injecting some crap to the files.

Mohonky

I havent imstalled the game of cheat engine or anything yet, but if I want to run the game at 1080p 16:9, do I need to do anything outside of the cheatengine fix, like make a config file or anything like that?

Not as used to editing games and using console commands as others so a full step by step for some of us noobs would be nice.

So for everyone that has the game and tried the comand "r_skipglare" would you guys say it is a better experience, does it ruin some areas? I'm sure the filter on default brings atmosphere in the Hospital area for example as some one posted a pic.

So for those using the comand and are say at least a few chapters in, would you say it makes the game more atmospheric,less or same amount?

Because this comand alone is nearly pushing me to buy this game, plus now the FOV FIX and black bar removal, this is why I love PC gaming.

Just quoting myself as we are on a new page and my question will be skimmed over, I'm really wondering if this filter remover somehow takes away from the game from beginning to end?

So I'm on chapter 7 and by now any issues plaguing performance in the earlier chapters seems to be nonexistant. 5 year old AMD rig. The texture pop-in is hilarious though, I cant even be mad

UnrealEck

So I'm on chapter 7 and by now any issues plaguing performance in the earlier chapters seems to be nonexistant. 5 year old AMD rig. The texture pop-in is hilarious though, I cant even be mad

Someone posted a command to reduce texture size a few pages back. That might reduce pop in.

Mechazawa

Maybe I'm just a big turbo weenie fart baby, but I bounced out of the CheatEngine option as soon as I saw that it was trying to plug in some adware.

I'll wait to see wassup with that Hayden fix or whatever.

The Cheat Engine works perfectly, ill have to fiddle with it to get it looking perfect though. Im still really bad at the game mind, I can't get past the start of Chapter 3...

Bl@de

Performance Comparison of K-Putts FOV Fix (Xeon 1230 and GTX 770)

Normal:
unbenannt2sppnd.jpg

FOV Fix:
unbenanntyjp11.jpg

You decide what's important. I have Situations where FPS dip to 40fps ... so with the FOV Fix that would be around 30fps. For me it's unplayable and the black bars don't bother me.

Also: When zooming in with the Rfile you see Game Graphics where the Black Bars should be.

Another question, has anyone found a way to have the reticle only show up while aiming? I've been playing completely hudless other than the reticle so having that show up while walking around is a bit of a bummer.

Hey guys, I just got a chance to play this and it's complete mess.

Horrendous input lag on the main sodding menu.

How did you guys fix it? I've opened the debug console and set the R_swapinterval -1 but the game is still laggy as hell. Do I need to reload the game?

How did you guys fix it? I've opened the debug console and set the R_swapinterval -1 but the game is still laggy as hell. Do I need to reload the game?
Turn up the dpi on your mouse high enough and it'll be less noticeable. Otherwise just use wasd and tab because it's far faster anyway

Bl@de

only a problem in the main menu. no fix yet. same problem like watch dogs on pc when released

Bl@de

Cap framerate to around your minimum seems to be an easy solution to a fair medium compromise.

Hmm? Don't understand what you mean. I already said 30-40fps are unacceptable for me when playing. Not that I want to start this discussion again. Just wanted to show the performance difference when removing the black bars and increasing the fov.

Anyone else have an issue where upon loading the game after the initial logo screen the game locks up even though the audio is still heard until the "press any key" screen shows up? I can play but its weird that its doing that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cap framerate to around your minimum seems to be an easy solution to a fair medium compromise.
That's a weird suggestion. Unless the game works with g-sync that would just result in noticeable image judder. It needs to be capped at a multiple of your refresh rate.

Turn up the dpi on your mouse high enough and it'll be less noticeable. Otherwise just use wasd and tab because it's far faster anyway

only a problem in the main menu. no fix yet. same problem like watch dogs on pc when released

It's not just the main menu. I've loaded into the game and it's even worse. I'm using a controller. Everything is laggy, even the intro cutscene. Movement is awful and texture loading is shocking.

I don't understand how people can complain about playing at a steady, locked 30 but enjoy playing at 40-60 FPS. Stuttering is the devil, and makes games feel terrible. At a locked 30 there are no input problems but in the latter case having the game constantly sputter all over the place is a nightmare for playability.

I really don't mind locked 30 on the PC, the problem on consoles is that 30 FPS usually actually means 20-30 FPS which is also terrible. Recent exceptions are Drive Club and Forza Horizon which feel incredible to play. Still, a steady 60 FPS is always preferable. Really hoping I can find a RoG Swift soon so I can finally experience 120FPS+ and gsync which should solve the issues I have with inconsistent framerates.

It's not just the main menu. I've loaded into the game and it's even worse. I'm using a controller. Everything is laggy, even the intro cutscene. Movement is awful and texture loading is shocking.
What are your specs? No noticeable input lag in-game on my computer with a 780Ti. Didn't even notice stuttering which I'm usually pretty sensitive to. I didn't notice too much texture loading issues in the game compared to other idtech5 games. The exception is certain areas of Chapter 11 which makes sense given the draw distance.

CryptiK

So is there a way to fix the FOV and Black Bars without Cheat Engine? I cant have it install other ESL Wire will ban me and I will get DQ'd from ESL-One :(

Bl@de

Try using:

- V-Sync
- Triple Buffering
- set MaximumPrerenderedFrames to 1

I play with mouse/keyboard and have no noticable input lag. Can't comment on texture loading. No problem there (only cutscenes with fast cuts).

UnrealEck

That's a weird suggestion. Unless the game works with g-sync that would just result in noticeable image judder. It needs to be capped at a multiple of your refresh rate.

That might be true in some games but when I tried it at 45 FPS at 60Hz I had no image judder at all.

I don't understand how people can complain about playing at a steady, locked 30 but enjoy playing at 40-60 FPS. Stuttering is the devil, and makes games feel terrible. At a locked 30 there are no input problems but in the latter case having the game constantly sputter all over the place is a nightmare for playability.

I really don't mind locked 30 on the PC, the problem on consoles is that 30 FPS usually actually means 20-30 FPS which is also terrible. Recent exceptions are Drive Club and Forza Horizon which feel incredible to play. Still, a steady 60 FPS is always preferable. Really hoping I can find a RoG Swift soon so I can finally experience 120FPS+ and gsync which should solve the issues I have with inconsistent framerates.

What are your specs? No noticeable input lag in-game on my computer with a 780Ti. Didn't even notice stuttering which I'm usually pretty sensitive to. I didn't notice too much texture loading issues in the game compared to other idtech5 games. The exception is certain areas of Chapter 11 which makes sense given the draw distance.

GIGABYTE P35W v2-CF2 UltraForce Gamer 15.6" Full HD IPS Display, Intel Core i7-4710HQ, 16GB DDR3L, 2 x 128GB SSD & 1TB 7200TPM HDD, NVIDIA GTX870M 6144MB GDDR5 - Windows 8.1

Try using:

- V-Sync
- Triple Buffering
- set MaximumPrerenderedFrames to 1

I play with mouse/keyboard and have no noticable input lag. Can't comment on texture loading. No problem there (only cutscenes with fast cuts).

I'll give that a go

pa22word

Gsync is weird with this one. I turned the lock to 60 and the game is instead capping me to 48 fps and my monitor is reporting back Normal Mode instead of Gsync when I check if gysnc is enabled. I'm guessing it's because vsync is forced on, which would explain why it's jumping seemingly erratically from 48 to 30 FPS for me, which is something I would expect from a double buffered game.

So is there a way to fix the FOV and Black Bars without Cheat Engine? I cant have it install other ESL Wire will ban me and I will get DQ'd from ESL-One :(

Wait, what? Are you required to run anti-cheat software at all times or something? And it has to check irrelevant games as well?

Gsync is weird with this one. I turned the lock to 60 and the game is instead capping me to 48 fps and my monitor is reporting back Normal Mode instead of Gsync when I check if gysnc is enabled. I'm guessing it's because vsync is forced on, which would explain why it's jumping seemingly erratically from 48 to 30 FPS for me, which is something I would expect from a double buffered game.

What are you using to lock the framerate?

If v-sync is on and the framerate is capped at 60, you'll likely just get capped at 48.

Using the game's standard settings (r_swapinterval -2) the game will cap your framerate at 72fps with a 144Hz monitor, but since there's no way the game will keep up with that, it will go down to 48. If it can't keep up with that, it will be capped at 36 - yeah you get it.

RK9039

Eh I guess its a small problem to put up with. thanks! also, The default fix is at 90 already right? or how many times do you have to tap + for it to get to 90?

I think so. You can press '+' on your numpad to increase the FOV quite a lot, to the point where you've overdone it.

Oh yeah, you have to be careful installing the CheatEngine, always click on the 'Custom' option every time and uncheck whatever excess programs it wants you to install.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not too affected by the black bars. 2.2 AR was good for me too but nice to have options and glad it's sorted for those that were put off by it. Might give it a try on the second run through.

riflen

I haven't seen anyone say this game is compatible with G-Sync mode yet. Apparently the game's "Full Screen" mode is actually a kind of borderless windowed mode, so G-sync cannot be enabled. Plus there's the odd OpenGL to DirectX wrapper thing going on, so who knows what's going to happen? G-Sync requires the application to be running in full screen mode to operate.

It's been reported here that the r_swapinterval setting is aware of your display refresh rate. What you're describing would make sense if you're playing the game at 144Hz. Double buffering plus Vsync will drop you to 72 fps (1/2 of 144) if you can't maintain 144 fps. If you can't maintain 72 fps, then the next drop will be down to 48 fps (1/3 of 144) and then 36 fps (1/4 of 144).

TGMIII

Can't seem to find a compromise I'm happy with. It's either deal with a dizzying FOV and horrible aspect ratio for performance or drop performance for better FOV/aspect ratio. No matter if it's locked 30 or unlocked 60 the game constantly feels like it's stuttering.

I've probably spent more time fiddling around with settings than I have playing the game.

Mindman

On the PC version is there a way to disable the depth of field blurring at all? On the PS4 the world starts to have a blur affect at about 10 feet from the character. It's distracting. Can this be turned off on the PC version? (Depth of field setting maybe?)

Afro

Just quoting myself as we are on a new page and my question will be skimmed over, I'm really wondering if this filter remover somehow takes away from the game from beginning to end?

Removing that bleached out filter doesn't diminish the creepy atmosphere at all imo. A great example is the hospital lobby save room where the colors are warm, vibrant, and safe feeling, but turn very cold and muted in the very next room with the brain chair thus still retaining that uneasy horror feel. It's just a white balance fix in my eyes.

I'm up to chapter 5 and sometimes revert back to the filter just for kicks and get grossed out.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This blows my mind. How can you be so incompetent at developing a PC game and lack the proper support for what your consumers want? Especially when the problem is fixed by changing the data which is already in memory and isn't hard coded into the game.

I think it's just a case of not knowing it's an option that the PC players wanted. They heard people wanted 60fps. They heard they wanted fullscreen. So they gave them those.

They didn't realize people would want the higher FoV to go along with that fullscreen.

Top Bottom