• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within PC Performance Thread

Xyber

You can see your frametimes in MSI Afterburner, when you enable the monitoring. You could check on it, it's probably not flat....

You can see frametimes with the in-game fps counter as well. It also shows the average frametime over 1 and 5 seconds too IIRC.

Enable with Com_showFPS

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there some way to fix running the game at 4K with DSR? It only shows the top left quarter of the 4K image.

Thanks

-MD-

That's strange. Why is it greyed out?

Good question.

Zhexac4.png

Anyone know how to access it?

Spookie

Please tell me there is a way to increase the in game FoV. I simply cannot finish the game in it's current state it's making me physically ill.

What a shitty design choice. :/

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Gotta say, 30 fps does not feel good in this game. I don't mind 30 fps at all, but having not even tried the 60fps command yet, this game feels sluggish as all hell.
Edit: and the menu mouse is awful.

A FOV-fix is out, made by K-Putt!

Works great without the black bars (you can remove them by using r_forceaspectratio 0 via launch options, the config.cfg or the console).

It's a Cheat Enginge-table, so you'll need Cheat Engine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since there's a lot of people asking how to do this, I thought I'd explain in detail how to set this up + how to remove the black bars etc.:

Enabling the FOV-fix (via Cheat Engine)

1. Download and install Cheat Engine.
  2. Start the game up and alt-tab.
  3. Start the Cheat Engine-table you downloaded from here.
  4. Click the flashing computer icon in the top left, choose EvilWithin.exe and then click Yes.
  5. Check "Enable Gameplay FOV"
  6. Go back to the game, use + and - on your numpad to adjust the FOV. The default FOV is 65 I think. Press + key 10 times to achieve 90 (one step is +/- 2.5). Some people prefer 85 because you will be blinded by the lantern with 90. You can see the current FOV-value in Cheat Engine.
  7. Enjoy!
It's possible to make an executable trainer of this Cheat Engine-table to make the process easier (one guy already did, but since a lot of people complained about malware from the hosting site I'm gonna put a disclaimer here - beware of malware or other harmful software. According to several scans the trainer itself is free from malware - it's one of the hosting sites that is shady)

Trainer: http://www.reddit.com/r/theevilwithin/comments/2jde9g/modevil_within_fov_mod/

There is a much easier way to fix the FOV now: Flawless Widescreen

Simply install and run it, and then download the The Evil Within-plugin within the software. There will be plenty of options and when you're done, just start the game.

Removing the black bars, skip intro, unlocking framerate, removing filter:

• First off, create a config.cfg in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Evil Within\base folder. You can do that by copying any other .cfg file in the same folder, removing everything inside of it and then renaming it to config.cfg. Also, add the line "+exec config.cfg" (without the quotation marks) to your shortcut (like this) or in Steam launch options (right click game -> properties -> set launch options)
  • Removing the black bars: add the line "r_forceaspectratio 0" in config.cfg (only works with 16:9 monitors currently, if you have something else you'll still have black bars unfortunately, but they'll still be smaller if you use r_forceaspectratio 0)
  • Skip intro: add the line +com_skipIntroVideo 1 to your shortcut or Steam launch options. Alternatively you can add "+com_skipIntroVideo 1" to your config.cfg
  • Unlocking framerate: add the line "r_swapinterval 0" to completely unlock the framerate with no v-sync. Add r_swapinterval -1 to lock at 60fps if you have a 60Hz monitor. -1 = v-sync at your monitor's refresh rate. 0 = completely unlocked, no v-sync. -2 = v-sync at half your monitor's refresh rate.
    There are issues with 60fps at the moment, but they are working on fixing these. Framerates over 60fps is "not supported" and they won't fix issues with these.
  • Removing the filter: add the line "r_skipglare 1" to your config.cfg
  • Enabling the console: add +com_allowconsole 1 to your shortcut or in Steam launch options

Comparison screenshots:

Default FOV, black bars

90 FOV, no black bars

Default FOV, black bars
90 FOV, no black bars

Props to K-Putt for putting this up!

K-putt

Open the .CT file with Cheat Engine and enable the script and press +/- on your numpad.

You could also press Numpad 2 (Numpad 1 is 1080p) to render the game in 6400x3600 if you want. (You don't want that. Except if you want to take screenshots.)

luca_29_bg

Open the .CT file with Cheat Engine and enable the script and press +/- on your numpad.

You could also press Numpad 2 (Numpad 1 is 1080p) to render the game in 6400x3600 if you want. (You don't want that. Except if you want to take screenshots.)

how to enable the script ? I should choose active in this ?

cJBrnfUKJXPJuEy4-Area.png

ok now is working, but how to set a correct fov ? There's no a fixed setting for 1080p ?

There's no "correct" setting, just go with what you're comfortable with. :)

90 is a pretty good value for 1080p (and I'd imagine it fits the game pretty good), but go higher or lower if you feel like it.

i mean a 90 fov for 1080p

You can see the FOV value in Cheat Engine. Change in-game with +/-, alt-tab and you can see what value you're using.

luca_29_bg

There's not a "correct" setting, just go with what you're comfortable with. :)

90 is a pretty good value for 1080p (and I'd imagine it fits the game pretty good), but go higher or lower if you feel like it.

You can see the FOV value in Cheat Engine. Change in-game with +/-, alt-tab and look what value you're using.

ok thanks! ^^

There's a FOV-fix, made by K-Putt!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n1lc42nu1x1ixw/EvilWithin.CT?dl=0

Works great without black bars (r_forceaspectratio 0 in launch options, the config.cfg or the console).

It's a Cheat Enginge-table, so you'll need Cheat Engine.

Comparison (sorry for the superdarkness):

Default FOV, black bars

90 FOV, no black bars

can you please walk me step by step how to do this? i downloaded both the program and the file but i dont know what to do in the program.

can you please walk me step by step how to do this? i downloaded both the program and the file but i dont know what to do in the program.
I'm on mobile atm, but bear with me: Start up the game, alt-tab, start the Cheat Engine table, click on the computer in the top left, choose The Evil Within .exe process, click yes, and click on gameplay FOV. If it's checked you can use + & - keys in-game to change FOV. You can see what FOV you're currently using in the software.

Has anyone noticed that forcing AFR2 uses about 50% of both GPUs?

Maybe there's a hope for SLI compatibility? Or was it like this on Rage and Wolfenstein as well?

So what's the consensus on this game? GMG sent me a 25% off voucher that I can use on this game and get some bonus games and another 23% off coupon to use later. So the offer is mighty enticing, but I really don't know what to make of all these all over the place performance issues.

I have an i5 2500k, gtx 780 and 16gb ddr3.

Thoughts on how it would run on this setup and whether to go 60 fps or 30?

I'm so confused.

So what's the consensus on this game? GMG sent me a 25% off voucher that I can use on this game and get some bonus games and another 23% off coupon to use later. So the offer is mighty enticing, but I really don't know what to make of all these all over the place performance issues.

I'm so confused.

The game itself is pretty great in my opinion. But the performance leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. It's practically unplayable at 4K for me.

The game itself is pretty great in my opinion. But the performance leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. It's practically unplayable at 4K for me.

lol. For some reason that sounds really funny to me. Although from the looks of this game it shouldn't give anyone any trouble at 4K if they have the rig to support it. I think I'm going to pass. I don't like having to fiddle with games I just bought to get them to run properly. I like to put the game on High settings and get to playing. Too bad too cause the game looks kinda interesting.

K' Dash

I'm so confused.

have the same rig, my i5 is OC'd to 4.3GHZ, I can't get 60fps locked but I can do constant 30fps.

The game is a tech mess.

Top Bottom