• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The evolution of Resident Evil 4.

Boney

Banned
Yeah I know, and it was said that you can skip the cutscene to buy you some seconds and blow that lock away.

And I said, this doesn't work for every cutscene in which you get quickly surrounded by Ganados.

Made my example with a room just after jumping down the waste dumpster, in which there's a round lava hole in the middle, and you have to use a ball and chain to break the wall in order to get through.

Well in this particular case, it's better to watch the cutscene than actually skipping it.

Bogus

ua52x.png

2wbuvtk.png

Leon: What did you say?!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
badcrumble said:
It's almost disappointing, though, because only having to shoot the chains makes the room really easy and less memorable (imo). Hell of a lot less frustrating though.

Add me to the list of people who had no idea you could shoot the chains. I don't think I'd want to give up the satisfaction of sniping those guys though.

RE4 is the one thing that really makes me miss my BC PS3. Wish they'd remaster it in HD. The existence of RE5 makes that seem a lot less likely though. Just another reason to be angry at RE5. :[

I really think those two games are among the very best the GCN has to offer. At the very least, they're both top-three material.

But I have to say that I love Viewtiful Joe more than Resident Evil 4. Viewtiful Joe is one of the few games I think doesn't really have anything wrong with it (it's also my favorite game). But come to think of it, RE4 doesn't either, unless you count Separate Ways, and that's not in the GCN version....

Davey Cakes

Himuro said:
Go off to the side and snipe him. You have to time it so the fire doesn't catch you.
Exactly. It wasn't even that hard for me, either. I just figured the game wanted to test the player's strategy and timing. I did not know there was an alternate way.

Man, there's always something new to discover.

Davey Cakes

Honestly, I'm just not hardcore enough in Mercenaries to unlock the handcannon. Once I got all the characters I was all set.

The other day I played some of the iPhone version of RE4. Yeah...what a great piece of garbage that is. :lol

Himuro said:
Man, I want to get the hand cannon. I never unlocked it on my previous playthroughs.
It's a lot of work but it's so worth it. I never thought the Chicago Typewriter was particularly fun to play with (it's TOO powerful) but the Hand Cannon is so satisfyingly loud and powerful. Also, once you get it to the point that it has unlimited ammo, you will start just blowing up every wooden door you come across instead of opening it. <3

Boney

Banned
Getting the handcannon isn't really that hard.. you just have to learn to keep to combo counter on and you're set.

Boney

Banned
Holy moly that's an impressive score.

I've always thought HUNK was the best guy actually. But they're all perfectly capable of achieving over 100k score in every stage easily.

Curufinwe

You need nerves of steel to play as HUNK on the Village, so I always stuck with Wesker. I only ever managed to kill all 124 ganados once, even though I watched the video someone made of their spawn points using an Action Replay.

000_0596.jpg

HUNK is amazing, it's Leon and Ada that tend to have trouble (although HUNK can be somewhat challenging to play with against certain enemies).

Davey Cakes

So, inspired by this thread I decided to go play some Resident Evil 4. Start a New Game+ from my completed Pro file.

Then the game tells me that my game save is corrupt and, in fact, ALL of the saves are corrupt on the GC's memory card.

I'm using the Wii for GC games, but is there a way to fix this? If not....NOOOOOOOO!

Boney

Banned
Rash said:
So, inspired by this thread I decided to go play some Resident Evil 4. Start a New Game+ from my completed Pro file.

Then the game tells me that my game save is corrupt and, in fact, ALL of the saves are corrupt on the GC's memory card.

I'm using the Wii for GC games, but is there a way to fix this? If not....NOOOOOOOO!
Is it a 1000 block card from Nintendo?

Then you're fucked..

sphinx

the piano man
in my case, my Wii corrupted my memory card, I then tried using it in my gamecube and it worked.

Try using the gamecube instead, you may be able to hold on to your savefiles

Davey Cakes

It's just a bit weird, since I only did my last three runs of the game last year, and it was on the Wii. Suddenly everything is corrupted.

I'm very disappointed, but it's not like the files aren't there. The proof that I beat the game all those times still exists. I just can't blame the files.

It's as good a reason as any to move onto the Wii Edition when I get a hankering to play again.

sphinx said:
Try using the gamecube instead, you may be able to hold on to your savefiles
I don't have the GC anymore. The Wii replaced it.

scitek

Stabby McSter said:
or $12.35, if you're on Amazon.

That should literally be a crime. What a fucking deal. I already own it on GCN, PS2 AND the Wii and still feel guilty for not buying it again at that price. :|

Leon is the weakest character in Mercenaries by far. His grenades are the only good thing about him - every other character is better than him in every way.

Well, Ada is a little weak too, but she's not much weaker than the big three.

But I haven't played Mercenaries for a while. I just remember disliking Leon in it.

remz

badcrumble said:
HUNK is amazing, it's Leon and Ada that tend to have trouble (although HUNK can be somewhat challenging to play with against certain enemies).
Ada was pretty much the worst for me. Hunk is stupidly fun one you start abusing the neckbreaker

Yasae

Banned
EatChildren said:
I cannot fathom how anybody could rationally argue that RE4 was anything less than a masterpiece.
I can't fathom how they get cream filling in donuts, either, but in reality I don't think it's that difficult.

Yasae

Banned
Himuro said:
hi i'm yasae i argue with pretty nothings and red herrings
I don't have to argue. I don't like the game. There, disprove that.

I could use those red herrings to make some lipstick and start blowing this game, if you'd like. Because your opinions are certainly turning out to be law.

sphinx

the piano man
Rash said:
I don't have the GC anymore. The Wii replaced it.

If I didn't have a Gamecube and had a save file with something like a complete gathering from baten kaitos, something that requires areound a 240 hours investment, I would consider spending the 20 bucks to buy a used one.

there is a load of stuff in many GC games that is a pain in the ass to unlock as well.

fireside

Himuro said:
Beat it.

Beat Assignment Ada too. Forgot how much it sucks shit.

I unlocked the Chicago Typewriter, one of my favorite weapons for doing so, just like last time right? Well I start a new game with my clear file and the merchant doesn't have the Typewriter available for purchase. wtf
You need to beat Seperate Ways to get the Chicago Typewriter on the Wii version.

sphinx

the piano man
Himuro said:
Beat it.

Beat Assignment Ada too. Forgot how much it sucks shit.

I unlocked the Chicago Typewriter, one of my favorite weapons for doing so, just like last time right? Well I start a new game with my clear file and the merchant doesn't have the Typewriter available for purchase. wtf

special weapons (everything that must be unlocked to obtain) appear only in round 2 and beyond, not on clear files or first playthroughs.

fireside

Himuro said:
Really? Because it said I unlocked it after beating Assignment Ada.

Or something. Since I've done this all before I was mostly just skipping shit.
You unlock the Typewriter in Separate Ways by beating Assignment Ada.

sphinx

the piano man
Himuro said:
This is incorrect. You load up a clear file and then you can buy shit from the merchant. For example, I can buy the infinite rocket launcher and the matilda for beating the game. But for some reason, despite saving the data, I can't buy the Typewriter.

just a couple of weeks ago I was having a hard time trying to beat the (Wii) game on Pro so I went und unlocked the handcannon by completing the mercenaries game.

I did so and happily went to the merchant to receive my brand new handcannon, right?

Fuck, the merchant doesn't have it, what's wrong? I went to FAQs and guides and yep, unlocked stuff, at least the good stuff like hand cannon, laser cannon and Chicago typewriter will appear only in subsequent playthroughs, not in 1st rounds.

in this sense, we will have to agree to disagree.

Himuro said:
Forgot how much Assignment Ada sucks BALLS. But from here on out, it's new content for me. I'm going to start Separate Ways tomorrow. Never played it because I never played the ps2 version. Hopefully it's not as bad as Assignment Ada.

prepare yourself, this is damn hard. There is a new level that is insane with turrets and multiple ganados shooting you from everywhere.

UrbanRats

Dresden said:
Eh, not impressed. I'm happy we got the glorious Gamecube version, one of the best action games of all time.

And the existence of Dead Space invalidates every "tank controls are awesome!" people anyways.
You have my axe.
Not wanting tank controls, doesn't mean you want Bayonetta.. just, decent, fluid, intuitive controls.
Which means: the pace can be slow, regardless.

remz

Himuro said:
Ohhhhh. Thanks!

Anyways...

Wii version is definitely the ultimate version. The controls are superb, though they have a learning curve. You could argue they make the game so much easier though. I got all the caps without any effort, and the Red-9 has been upgraded tremendously.
I pretty much pwned mercanaries on the wii version because of how easy to wii rmote makes aiming, pew pew pew neckbreakers

Mael

remz said:
I pretty much pwned mercanaries on the wii version because of how easy to wii rmote makes aiming, pew pew pew neckbreakers

It's even worse than that, I can't actually play anything but re4WE (which means I'll probably never finish re5) since it feels like you're playing with your hands tied behind your back while playing with the usual setup

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
schennmu said:
I've started playing the Wii version today. That dithering is pure eye cancer xD
PS2 version not so bad after all imo.

yeah I started a replay of it yesterday and I just don't think you can make RE4 look good on an lcd display. Mine's only a 26" and I've got it hooked up through component, but the game really shows its age. Game makes me wish I still had an sd set.

i've also tried the pc version with all the mods btw. while it definitely looks sharper, it also looks ugly all the same. it's kinda hard to explain. when i finally had implemented everything, i thought i'd found the definite version, but as you play more you start to notice it's just not the same.

i've been playing RE5 on my pc with everything to max and framerate unlocked and it looks unbelievable. we really need RE4 redone with this engine.

Yasae

Banned
Creamium said:
yeah I started a replay of it yesterday and I just don't think you can make RE4 look good on an lcd display. Mine's only a 26" and I've got it hooked up through component, but the game really shows its age. Game makes me wish I still had an sd set.

i've also tried the pc version with all the mods btw. while it definitely looks sharper, it also looks ugly all the same. it's kinda hard to explain. when i finally had implemented everything, i thought i'd found the definite version, but as you play more you start to notice it's just not the same.

i've been playing RE5 on my pc with everything to max and framerate unlocked and it looks unbelievable. we really need RE4 redone with this engine.
Resident%20Evil%204%2006.jpg

Top Bottom