• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The evolution of Resident Evil 4.

I think I tried the TMP for like five minutes then never used it again.

In the dozen or so playthroughs of the game on both GC/Wii, I have used the Mine Launcher all of (1) times. That's times fired.

sphinx

the piano man
EmCeeGramr said:
I do, just for completion's sake.

She almost always dies with a single blow from a weapon anyway. I stopped giving herbs to her like himuro.

have any of you tried "special" playthroughs?

.- knife only
.- handgun only
.- grenade only

??

I haven't brought myself to that cause I am kinda lazy and haven't even decided what criteria should I follow for a special playthrough. :/

Himuro said:
Wasn't sure if you're joking but the more I play the more I agree.

"I am the leader of this wonderful...religious...community."

It's like the entire game is one big critique of conservative values :lol
are you guys serious or what

sphinx

the piano man
Himuro said:
How is it possible to do knife only or grenade only runs? It's not like old RE where you can pick enemies with the knife if you're skilled enough.

I mean, I just got past the part where you have to snipe the guys on the gondola and that'd be impossible in a knife only run.

Or the part where you face off against the fire shooting guys in the castle. You have to kill them to make them stop shooting fire out of the dragons.

Now a handgun only run is completely within the realm of possibility, especially with the wii version's shooting controls.

there are FAQs in gamefaqs with carefully explained procedures to complete this kind of playthroughs. Many of them are downright insane. They say that specially when a plaga bursts from the head of a ganado, then it's all hell loose and many guides recommend restarting the whole scene, depending on your criteria

Knife only playthroughs, as already pointed, allow a very limited specific ammount of ammo on the handgun. like say, 10 bullets to use specifically in those parts where you can't go any further without using one.

But there are other parts, like when you get one of the grails in the castle and you must defeat 4 armors that have plagas in their heads. Those could in theory be killed only with a knife, both before and after exposing the plaga. I read in forums and such that it's one of the most painful and hardest challenge in the whole "knife-playthrough".

don't know if I'd do that to myself even though I love using the knife. I can't imagine myself using only the knife with Gigantes or Regenerators or the fucking wolves who are a pain in the ass even with standard guns.

Dresden

I've done handgun-only runs, but knife-runs are way too hardcore for me.

And the TMP is pretty useful... if you use it like a pistol. >_> I think the most I ever used it was in Ada's mission.

zoukka

TMP is the ammo hoarders dream. If you played like me and only did head shots-to-melee pretty much from beginning to end :b

Boney

Banned
Himuro said:
TMP will never replace my trusty Red-9.
You use both ;)

Apparently, I'm the only one that loves to have a shit load of weapons and never enough space to carry enough ammo and herbs.

First time, handgun, shotgun and rifle.

But it has evolved to Red9, TMP, Rifle, Shotgun, Magnum and loads of grenades (which I barely use).

Himuro said:
Red-9 on Wii version is practically broken. It's like a fucking handheld sniper rifle, only you can headshot like 10 dudes in a row in a few seconds.

sphinx

the piano man
Himuro said:

Red-9 is almost a game breaker as well. Maked out, it deals a 6.5 damage which is insane for a handgun but I guess it would the best choice for a handgun only run or for first rounds in playthroughs.

I died around 50 times in Round 1 on Wii and in Professional mode and I am supposed to be decent at this game!! :O, I really was like, what the fuck is this? Was the difficulty upped from the gamecube version?

Anyway, once I maxed out the red9 things were much easier. Nice gun.

sphinx

the piano man
Himuro said:
I noticed the Red-9 got a immense power boost against the El Gigante in the "pick a route" part of the village. It seems even more powerful than in the GC version.

that's because it is ;)

red9 on Wii/PS2 has a special of 6.5 damage

on GC it's like 4.0 or something.

Boney

Banned
sphinx said:
that's because it is ;)

red9 on Wii/PS2 has a special of 6.5 damage

on GC it's like 4.0 or something.
It's 5 I think.

Just upgraded my Rifle, and it does a whooping 30.0 damage. So good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
zoukka said:
TMP is the ammo hoarders dream. If you played like me and only did head shots-to-melee pretty much from beginning to end :b

This! I loved the TMP because of that...one shot to the head, kick them down, knife them as they get up.

Boney

Banned
I'm in the mines myself. Just about to get out.

My super Rifle and my 5x headshot handgun is a dream.

Oh, btw, does the Blacktail have any exclusive upgrade in this version?

I've always been really disappointed that they didn't include the classic RE camera angles in all versions of Ashley's level. That would have been a cool touch.

Boney

Banned
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I've always been really disappointed that they didn't include the classic RE camera angles in all versions of Ashley's level. That would have been a cool touch.
But they did! with the japanese versions :(

fireside

The exclusive for the semi-auto rifle being jumped from .4 seconds to .8 in the non-Gamecube versions was kind of lame.

Boney

Banned
fireside said:
The exclusive for the semi-auto rifle being jumped from .4 seconds to .8 in the non-Gamecube versions was kind of lame.
With the new upgrades, I still think regular rifle > Auto-Rifle

Except maybe when it comes to Regenerators, but I haven't gotten to that part yet.

sphinx

the piano man
it's a shame we can't "name" our save files.

With all the free slots there are, I would have a "Red9 Playthrough", " Handcannon Playthrough" and so on.

thanks everyone for the correction about Red9.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Boney said:
But they did! with the japanese versions :(

*hugs japanese copy*

What's interesting is that on any difficulty below normal it still uses the over the shoulder perspective that the rest of the world got.

fireside

Boney said:
With the new upgrades, I still think regular rifle > Auto-Rifle

Except maybe when it comes to Regenerators, but I haven't gotten to that part yet.
Screw the bolt action rifle. Taking me out of the aiming mode sucks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cannot fathom how anybody could rationally argue that RE4 was anything less than a masterpiece.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
EatChildren said:
I cannot fathom how anybody could rationally argue that RE4 was anything less than a masterpiece.

it's almost like the setup for a monty python sketch. "group of people thinks re4 isn't amazing, hijinks ensue"

luka

Loves Robotech S1
EatChildren said:

But it didn't INVENT anything! Therefore it is BORING.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
beelzebozo said:
it's almost like the setup for a monty python sketch. "group of people thinks re4 isn't amazing, hijinks ensue"

To quote Itzhak Stern; "This game... is an absolute good. The game is life. All around its programming lies the gulf."

sphinx

the piano man
EatChildren said:

In the context of the Resident Evil IP, I can see some fans complaining about RE4.

Let's be honest, once you learn how to play, "the game turns into a mindless shooter", as I once read in a thread many years ago.

There is ..mmh.. some truth to that. It's still as fun as hell many playthroughs after but still, the game consists of shooting a gun, one shoot after the other. I don't think RE4 can get much praise for puzzles or anything. Sure, they took care of the enviroments being functional so that shooting doesn't feel boring but still, long gone are the days of finding stuff in rooms and placing them together to find the solution to puzzles and such.

EatChildren

sphinx said:
In the context of the Resident Evil IP, I can see some fans complaining about RE4.

Let's be honest, once you learn how to play, "the game turns into a mindless shooter", as I once read in a thread many years ago.

There is ..mmh.. some truth to that. It's still as fun as hell many playthroughs after but still, the game consists of shooting a gun, one shoot after the other. I don't think RE4 can get much praise for puzzles or anything. Sure, they took care of the enviroments being functional so that shooting doesn't feel boring but still, long gone are the days of finding stuff in rooms and placing them together to find the solution to puzzles and such.

None of this shit matters at all. I can totally understand someone walking away from the game unimpressed or disappointed because the game just isn't their style of game, or because they much prefer the slower paced original Resident Evil games, but none of this discredits the quality of the game itself.

Opinions and all that, but I truly believe you can be subjective only to a point, and Resident Evil 4 is one of the few games that I will argue is of sublime content and design, and a perfect representation of high quality in interactive entertainment.

EmCeeGramr said:
RE Wiki says 5.0 in the US/JP GC versions, 6.0 in the PAL GC and PS2 versions, and 6.5 on the Wii version.

It's 6.5 in the PAL GCN version. I have the NTSC GCN version (had the PAL GCN version before as well) and the Wii version. It was definitely 6.5.

BTW, the PAL changes were definitely for the better. More money, less ammo and the Red 9 being better make it much more fun :D

sphinx

the piano man
EatChildren said:
None of this shit matters at all. I can totally understand someone walking away from the game unimpressed or disappointed because the game just isn't their style of game, or because they much prefer the slower paced original Resident Evil games, but none of this discredits the quality of the game itself.

Opinions and all that, but I truly believe you can be subjective only to a point, and Resident Evil 4 is one of the few games that I will argue is of sublime content and design, and a perfect representation of high quality in interactive entertainment.

you are right that people bash legendary games like this one for what they don't offer instead of judging them for what they offer. Which is in my opinion a sign of poor judgement.

I must be honest though, once I played Code: Vernoica, which was after I played RE4 many times, I was like " Hell, I am not sure what RE style I want anymore, both are amazing". Code Veronica is the ULTIMATE old style RE game, to me at least.

In light of RE5 not being precisely what fans and people wanted ( a huge chunk of them, anyway), I wonder if the "new" style from 4 and 5 should've been left as spin off and the old style as the mainline games. That's something I would definitely back up.

I am not pleased that a HD, current-gen continuation of the likes of REmake or CVX will be absolutely out of the question forever. And fuck the controls debate, I have not a single problema playing all those games on my gamecube.

(by the way, not contradicting anything you said, just pointing out my thoughts)

Boney

Banned
The only changes I'd make to RE4 would be:

1) Stay less time at the inventory
a) Change weapons by assigning them to the Dpad or a scrolling thing below, but pressing start to accomodate to the best weapon suited for the situation kinda breaks the experience.
b) Have a healing button. Although what healing thing you want to use might present trouble. Either standarize all healing items or makes you choose between a mid heal or a full heal.

2) Maybe more Mercenaries? Please?

That's about it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Himuro said:
Fucking subtitles. Same thing goes for REmake, Killer 7 and a whole slew of other Capcom games. I'm playing 1 in the morn and everyone in the house is sleep. I want the volume down and still be able to understand wtf people are saying.

Fuck Capcom!

Japanese version has subtitles. :3

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Like clockwork. Every time there's a gaf RE4 thread, I feel like playing it again. Must resist. Is there anyone who has the bolt action rifle reloading gif? I need it.

There was this april fools' about RE4HD a few years ago, and god I wish that would actually happen. Upon replaying if for the last time, I'd say that graphics are the only somewhat dated aspect of the game. Now that I have a kickass pc I might look into the whole pc version + mods thing

sphinx

the piano man
Boney said:
Oh god, just reached the Regenerators.

On a side note, Salazar was just so damn easy.

what weapon did you use?

When on a first playthrough, I unload my broken butterfly on him. It feels SOOO good to beat him that easy :D.

Daigoro

Boney said:

1) Stay less time at the inventory
a) Change weapons by assigning them to the Dpad or a scrolling thing below, but pressing start to accomodate to the best weapon suited for the situation kinda breaks the experience.
b) Have a healing button. Although what healing thing you want to use might present trouble. Either standarize all healing items or makes you choose between a mid heal or a full heal.

2) Maybe more Mercenaries? Please?

That's about it.

Resident Evil 5 pretty much has you covered. :p

has subs too doesnt it?

GatorBait

Boney said:

There are only two legitimate complaints I have against RE4:

The quoted text above is the first one. If RE4 had a quick draw inventory system like in RE5, it would allow you to stay immersed in fights instead of continually switching back to the inventory screen. 4 slots corresponding on the d-pad that you could fit just about any item to: guns, grenades, herbs/spray, etc. That would be fine with me.

The second is subtitles.

That's it, really.

cvxfreak

I think the PAL versions have subtitles, too, even if playing them in English. I'd have to go back and look to confirm, but I can't exactly do that right now because I'm in Japan and my collection is back at my parents' place in SF. :p

Davey Cakes

EmCeeGramr said:
RE Wiki says 5.0 in the US/JP GC versions, 6.0 in the PAL GC and PS2 versions, and 6.5 on the Wii version.
Yeah, the Red9's special is 5.0 for the GC version.

I upgraded it to the "special" immediately for my New Game+, and wow, you don't even need any other weapon for the entire village section. Seriously, just a fully upgraded Red9 is like a mini shotgun. It just takes everything out with ease. Only when you get to the castle do weapons like the shotgun and rifle become more useful.

When I first played through RE4, I didn't use the rifle until I got infared scope. For me it was all about the Punisher, the standard shotgun, and the TMP for most of the way. It wasn't until I started a New Game+ that I tried out the Red9 and the rifle from the beginning of the game.

I will agree that the TMP is really useful if you're the kind of player who likes to just shoot one bullet at an enemy and then go in for the melee. It's also good for just pumping bullets into bosses, especially when fully upgraded. However, having experienced other weapons, I'm definitely in the handgun/shotgun/rifle camp. The rifle especially makes such a big difference. And yes, the stocked Red9 is the way to go. The Blacktail aims faster, but I prefer power and accuracy.

AshMcCool said:
people would go crazy for a updated version of that game on the download plattforms. I know I would. Do it Capcom.

They'd go nuts for a new version in retail. No need for DD only.

Top Bottom