• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fight: Lights Out |OT| of Trejo, Soreness, and Move Controllers

Official Title: The Fight: Lights Out

ma2SZ.jpg

E58Sx.jpg

Blurb

Grab your PlayStation®Move motion controllers and step into the dark and gritty underground of bare knuckle brawling in The Fight: Lights Out™. The power to climb to the top of the underground scene is in your hands. The only rule is that there are no rules -- you decide how to take down your next challenger. Get them in a headlock and throw elbows to the skull, or go ballistic by swinging with all-out haymakers. Use the PlayStation®Move motion controllers to dominate opponents with accurately tracked strikes. Do you have what it takes to rule the underground?

Features

Take control of a rough and tumble bare-knuckle fighter in the campaign mode as you crusade to beat down anyone that stands between you and your shot at becoming the toughest fighter out there.
Feel the action by using the PlayStation®Move motion controller as you step into the game and command your fighter's every movement with lifelike 1:1 motion for deadly precision.
Unleash a wide arsenal of brutal attacks. Start simple with punches and uppercuts before amping up the intensity with headlocks and overhand blows to the head, plus an assault of other dirty fighting techniques using two PlayStation®Move motion controllers at once, together with the PlayStation®Eye camera.
Get fit and burn calories! Weight-lift hit the speed bag as you perform different exercises to increase your character’s stamina, strength, and speed.
Opponents are everywhere! Jump online and go head-to-head with other fighters and make in-game bets to win cash.

Release

EU: 03 November 2010
US: 10 November 2010

Box Art

BNazp.jpg

Abilities

74197_174674435875981_100000002767007_661078_3127954_n.jpg

Boosts

First four:
75996_174674815875943_100000002767007_661084_6728149_n.jpg

(full list will follow)

Multiplayer features

2 player split-screen
2 player on-line
spectator mode with betting
online leaderboards (for almost everything including the training exercises)

Reception

iWaggle's take:
http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2010/11/fight-lights-out-video.html / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TpaOeeNvCI

Metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/the-fight-lights-out/critic-reviews

(Copy from Move [OT])

So I played a fair bit of The Fight now, and so far I'm actually quite pleased with it. The camera is only an issue for me in so far as that it is sometimes hard to see if you are doing a good body shot, although your opponent and sound does give you good feedback on that. I don't know if I just lucked out on picking a good camera, but generally I don't have to see all that much to be able to visualise what's going on.

The replay of my first match (which has decent options like viewing from all angles, pausing forwarding, etc.) showed that my body shots were way too low. Also, since my 'wing-span' is almost 2 meters, for calibration I sort of have to lean back if I were to do it properly, but you can fake it a little. This is one of the first games that gives an estimate on your size though based on two calibration moves.

The head-tracking doesn't work for me, as more or less expected. I may try again during the day, but the developers themselves basically indicated that they couldn't really do it for this game, also because of if you defend properly, your head will be mostly hidden (though I think from there you can probably still guess where the head is, if you take it further).

The training room is satisfying for me - I understand what I need to do (on the heavy bag do one-two's, and occasionally hit the red circle area when it pops up), using the movement of the bag properly and not missing - once you start missing, you fail out. It's a good exercise also for improving your spatial awareness. Same goes for the speed training, which realistically requires you to maintain a rhythm that suits the way the ball bounces, and you have a meter that stays in the green as long as you manage to keep the ball going. There's no faking it here, and once you get the skill down (I got it down very quickly at a pretty high pace) it simply relies on you to get tired. And trust me, you do! I still feel my arms, I think I lasted almost 4 minutes, and that netted me 13 skill points I could use on my fighter.

The walking around using the Move as a kind of joystick while pressing the Action/Move button (which you can conveniently use either hand for) works good and I look forward to more games using this for free roaming while keeping full 1:1 control for both hands available.

I also went online and there was no-one to play with yet, which is not a big surprise I think. However, the game gives you an opponent that doesn't defend himself while you wait, which is incredibly satisfying for just experimenting with all sorts of bloody hits. I do think though that this game has some very good potential for online - we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

While they say they sacrificed a transparent character for 60fps, I have to say that the game often doesn't feel like 60fps - I think there are some real slowdowns occasionally.

Finally, Trejo as your trainer/instructor is a nice touch. He does a decent job, much better than most nonsense in videogames, and its fun to see him talk about/hold Move controllers and diss the alternative control scheme where you use a sixaxis for the second hand. :lol:

The balance for the career mode is interesting, in that you have to fight to make money, and you need the money to do trainings that can net you skill-points to upgrade your character with. This balances the game, but whomever can do the training stuff better will faster upgrade their character, which is interesting.

So far, my impressions of this game are quite favorable. We'll have to wait and see how it lasts, but I'm thinking this game does deserve an OT.

(Copy from Move [OT])

Ok, had another session. First note of business though - I set up my fighter with 23 points for technique, almost nothing for heart and chin, and 10,7 and 6 for strength, speed and stamina. I think the 23 points for technique were a bit much - Trejo mentioned something like 'I see were going for 'experimental' here'. :D

I found out quickly in my second match though in the first set of fights that adding some chin and heart are worth it. Basically you'll want to have at least everything at 10 as soon as possible, and take it from there. After 10, it starts taking more points to upgrade your fighter (first 2 ability points for 1 rating point, then 3, etc.). So I used my ability points to set everything at 10 at least.

This of course invited doing some more practice. This time I went for target practice first, which is the type of sparring you do with someone who has punch gloves for you to bash into, as you've seen in a tonne of boxing flicks. It's actually very good, and should be one of the first things you do to test whether or not you're being tracked right and you understand how to control your fighter. I found out for instance that the way I was hitting my left hook, I was reaching out of the camera range (because I also lean forward a little), which basically broke it. So this exercise quickly got me understanding the limits of my field of view (remember, my 'wing-span' is 2m, and I'm standing at less than 1.6m from the TV with my calves pressed into our couch - I actually placed the camera a little upwards and back behind the TV this time so I could actualy reach out my arms completely which just about fits exactly into the field of view).

So once I got that figured, it was actually pretty easy to do this exercise. For as far as I played it, it asks for uppercuts, forward jabs, and hooks. You don't have to hit them hard, and it doesn't really matter with which arm you for instance manage to hit the glove (the forward jabs are easily reachable with both arms for me). It feels good. So far I'm really digging the exercises. If you get these type of hits down, you can win a fight at least in theory. ;) It's good to be aware of at least these types of hits, though if you want to win a fight you also need to work the body, which not much of the exercises pay attention to so far. It is a fairly easy excercise, so good for earning some ability points too. The first exercise which I tried again also (the punching bag), remains a tough one, though I still enjoy it a lot and the physics on them are cool - I just wish you could play it without a fail-state.

I then (after losing my fight again) proceeded to do the other exercises as well. Endurance asks me to fight one opponent after the other, and is hard to keep up with long enough to score points (at least I couldn't do it after two or three times, but I did at least pass a bunch of rounds after the first attempt). You have to stick close to your fighter you lose, so you're going to track your fighter if he moves away from you. Finally, I went to basic sparring, which is actually good and a place that you should spend some time in - you need to at least be able to take this guy down on default settings, and then you can basically measure your efficiency by how many calories you burnt. For instance, after a few tries I got him down from 29 to 14 calories.

After last fight, for I'm not sure what anymore (but it tells you - I think it's actually for not doing the finishing move on him when he was reeling, which gave me the 'Saint' achievement), I also earned a first 'dirty' move, a hammer fist. Trejo explains how it works, and it's pretty good - however, since you're awarded more for fighting clean, it does make you only want to use it if you're getting desperate (at least for me). Now for the second fight, the setup was different - you start with an 80$ counter, and the faster you beat him, the more of that cash is left for you to take. However, crucially, you also earn cash for hard hits and such - for instance, a hard hit gives you $5. So you usually take enough away from a fight to at least heal yourself and do some more training. On the other hand, each battle you lose takes away rating points and after three losses I was back to zero (so again, exercise early, exercise often).

So when you're preparing for this fight, what's the key thing here is that you time your shots, and spend your energy wisely. Look for a good opportunity and land one or two hits. When he's reeling a little you can get a few more hits in, but your energy for hitting runs out fast enough so you'll want to go back into cover and position. When he's defending his face and or is close to you, go for body blows and if he goes out of cover when he's still close, time for an upper-cut. Most of this stuff makes a lot of sense, though I would have expected perhaps some more training on boxing technique. And I think the earlier you make yourself comfortable with walking and moving (dodging left and right) around, the better.

Also, when you sustain injuries, you have to heal them or pay the price in terms of shorter stamina in the next fight.

Right now this game is not easy. This is not a 'casual' game, unless maybe you're a casual boxer. But so far I'm enjoying it a lot and can heartily recommend it if a game that forces you to really box AND train (training is the only way to improve your stats, after all), it's worth it.

So I managed to win my second fight, and this game me another award that gives me a money boost for winning against players ranked higher, and a silver trophy. This was for beating someone who is ranked more than 50%, so that either means that there's an advantage to losing a bunch of times first (kills your ranking to zero), or perhaps I've picked my second fight unwisely.

I'm going to bed now happily exhausted, and so far the game seems to be what I hoped it would be. Will keep you guys posted if I make more progress this weekend. And if someone wants to try this online, let me know. ;)

Just played a little of it, and a warning for everyone with only one Move controller: Don't buy it unless you get a second Move with it.

Vinterbird said:
Just played a little of it, and a warning for everyone with only one Move controller: Don't buy it unless you get a second Move with it.

I have conflicting feelings about this. I like the idea of games using two controllers as it increases the immersion, but requiring two seems a bit risky and will probably result in few games pursuing this development route.

With that said, I have 2 controllers and will be picking this up on Tuesday.

Agreed. It's possible with 1 and a DualShock/Sixaxis, but two Moves are basically required to enjoy this game. And note that also means four for split screen multi-player.

Note that I'll add the Boosters, Abilities and Dirty Moves information later - I'll have to copy them from the game, didn't find much online yet. It supports XMB screenshots though apparently, so I'll try and get them that way first.

Spend some time in the "Training" modes of the game and the whole thing becomes a lot more fun. It's a complete grind hitting the "gym" punching pads and bags for 25 minutes, but it gives you lots of skill points and allows you to raise your abilities.

Raise your abilities and the game starts to kick-ass. Literally. You'll destroy everyone. Then you'll have enough money to grind again.

It's a dumb progression system (they could EASILY fix it by rewarding skill points during fights too) but it changes how you'll enjoy the core fighting.

I will contributing to this thread soon.

Thread participant challenge:

We should post pics of calorie burn in a certain time frame.

Based on attributes:

Your low attribute knockout vs. your highest attribute knock out time or round.

I will update challenges when I get the game, can't wait.

this game is very promising fr the future. I really want a good boxing game. This is allready going really far in the right direction.

Is there a demo?

Afrikan

apparently the game runs at 60fps single player and split-screen and also does head tracking in split-screen which I found interesting.

when played in 3D, I think it runs at 30fps.
edit- I got the above info from reading around and watching presentations here and there..

-----
this is an older presentation though but its a good one.
here is the Presentation with Producer John McLaughlin (I like this presentation more than all these other Sony presenters for this game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooOJz9lVXxA

also I think there will be a few folks who might just get enjoyment out of betting on online fights in spectator mode...there is an Trophy for getting lots of people to bet on you.

jax (old)

Banned
Ill get this when it hits the shelves in a couple of days. Btw the kinect DC and this... :p

I think if the devs are smart, they'll do an update and make the players transparent.

just noted the metascore. again from the OT. having seen the videos etc. There is NO way that it gets savaged on presentation, music etc. But IGN gonna hate it, they gonna hate it.

Today a lot more working out. I got a few training sessions in where the trainer actually didn't diss me as the training ended, but sort of nodded a 'good job'. One of these was target practice, which is becoming a favorite quickly. It's actually making me a better fighter, making different types of hits for my forward side and my backward side (standing left/front) to reach the targets. It also clearly notes how well you land your punch and if you've got some power behind it, as this influences how much is added to your 'continue' meter (or whatever it is called).

However, this session I had messed around with my camera placement a bit and also started leaning forward a little more, and this time I started getting a lot of calibration issues - whenever my arms go out of range too much/too often, one of my arm would get out of calibration and basically hang back or something like that, rendering me unable to use that arm efficiently anymore. Specifically haymaker type hits can cause this. I've had to work on this issue for a bit before I could get on and beat my fourth and fifth opponent.

The names for the first set of fighters by the way seem to indicate what kind of stat will be attacked. For instance, Glass Jaw means that you'll have an opponent who deals hard damange, and you'll need to have your Chin stats up sufficiently to make it (or fight really, really well of course). Because I got annoyed at not beating a certain opponent I kept playing for more than the 90 minutes I wanted to do max, and now I'm totally soaked and knackered. If you're looking for a game to give you a workout, this is definitely one ... :)

Oh, and while lots of venues are opened early on in the game, I think if you want a 'normal' difficulty progression it seems you should play them from left to right.

I bought it yesterday.
And I think it's really great.
I raised some skills, beat about seven different fighters and had a couple of on-line matches.

Callibration was difficult once, but after quitting and restarting the game everything was ok.

Punching feels amazing, especially when you find an opening and throw a hard straight punch right on the eye. Feels great.

I can see why the reviews are so diverse.
At one hand it feels great and I love it,
but it demands a lot of effort. Flailing punches won't hit the mark, you have to bide your time, wait for an opening and then strike hard and precise.

The tech works, but as mentioned before by others, The headtracking needs really good lighting. Also whithout headtracking it seems my fighter doesn't duck at all, making low-blows harder to perform.

Maastricht, can you duck whithout using headtracking?
And if yes at which height is your camera positionned. I suspect that can be part of the problem.

Afrikan

Thread Title should be renamed involving "GAF FIGHT CLUB" :D

I hear good things about the online betting feature with the spectator mode....can't wait till we start having GAF Fights...but man some of us might have to start stretching and working on our endurance now.....I can picture Gaf's fittest gamers out lasting some of the others :lol

would be cool if we could stream these fights.

Animation-Imp said:
Maastricht, can you duck whithout using headtracking?
And if yes at which height is your camera positionned. I suspect that can be part of the problem.

No ducking for me. I'm going to cover up that poster / wall thing some day or point my camera somewhere else to find out what difference it makes - other factors for detecting are all excellent, it's just the background noise that's bad, and just when I move my head in front of that poster thing.

Camera is at around my eye level, a little below perhaps. I may want to set it up higher and make it look down a little to see if that still works - the way you're holding the controllers in this game should work relatively well with that.

Yeah, streaming for betting could be good. :D At least you can save replays, though I haven't actually tested if you can in an online game.

the_prime_mover said:
I have conflicting feelings about this. I like the idea of games using two controllers as it increases the immersion, but requiring two seems a bit risky and will probably result in few games pursuing this development route.

With that said, I have 2 controllers and will be picking this up on Tuesday.

I hope it continues to be optional. Move really shines when you use two controllers and despite having fun I hate the idea of playing with a friend because I have to give my second to them and it waters it down. It seems crazy, seems pricey, but it really is worth it...you have so much control and feel so bad ass.

So yeah...I don't think we'll be seeing much, if any, two-only games but I really hope it continues to be optional because I'll pick that option every time.

My character looks a lot like the other guy right now ... :D

Forgot to mention, but walking around with the Move controller works really well by the way. I think/hope more games will use this in the future!

consoul

Corto said:
Tyler Durden should have been a playable character. DLC maybe?:D
If FC was a Sony pictures movie maybe, but given that it's Fox it won't happen. :( I would have settled for MeatLoaf.

Snipes424

I like the impressions from GAF so far, I think I'm going to pick it up.

I really enjoy Gladiator on Sports Champions because of the workout you get while dueling, and I think this game will be an even better workout.

Gents with the game

Does this game support XMB music or Custom Soundtracks?

Also, what do you think if they added an augmented reality jump rope with 2 move controllers as an exercise to increase footwork or agility. Imagine jumping rope with the move contollers for 30 to 60 seconds, do you think this can be done properly.

jax (old)

Banned
game comes out this thursday here in australia.

There's this, Time Crisis, and then there's kinect.

Decisions.... decisions.

has NO gaffers played PVP?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Between this and Brian Blessed in Invizimals, Sony is bringing back FMV with an awkward, slightly embarrassing vengeance.

Have you seen the FMV in EyePet? ;) I actually like Trejo ... it's not an Oscar winning performance, but almost every digital trainer dude guiding you in any other game tends to be much worse.

Belfast

Question: How many training exercises are in the game and what are they? Just curious, because I'm more interested in getting this as a fitness game at this point. I mean, I'm sure the fighting is fun, but I'm just curious as to how extensive the ancillary activities are.

The training exercises are

Sparring:
choose an opponent (speed/power/defence...)
choose an ai difficulty
and get going...

Heavy bag:
A heavy punchingbag.
You have to get it swinging decently and try to perform some nice punching combos on it.
Punch too slow and the meter runs out, find a good rythm and you can rack up the points.
At set intervals a target appears on the bag and you get bonus multipliers if you hit it in time.

This is my personnal favourite in the training sections.
I really feel the burn when doing this one.

Speed bag:
Speedbag you need to hit in rythm.
It's the only training section that isn't 1:1
you can kinda waggle your way through,
but the speed you need to waggle with really starts to drain your energy after a minute and a half of air pummeling.

This is my least favourite. It fells less "real" than the other training sessions.

Precision training:
A trainer holds up gloves and you need to hit them with the right punches.
Very fun, very rewarding, and it helps build your skill to direct precise hits in the fights.
After a couple of training sessions, which didn't net a lot of ability points, I discovered I was able to hit my opponent much harder and my aim for the injured parts of my opponent was much more true than it was before (got about 75 to 85% hitrate after the training sessions, before I only hit my opponent in about 50% of my swings.

Endurance training:
Opponent after oppenent come after you,
block and minimize damage, conserve you stamina and get a few hits in.
This one is a work-out as the fight lasts longer than a normal sparring fight.
But it clearly aims at teaching you defence and pacing in the game.

That's it I think.

I did a couple of pvp online matches (unranked).
And it works really wel.
I did not notice any noteable lag and it felt really rewarding punching a real player in the face. It's sometimes hard to find a match though.
Also I came acros a couple of spastic players, flailing like madmen.
In the beginning (due to my underleveled character) I lost to a couple of them,
but now as I start to get to grips with the basics they don't stand a chance any more.
Nothing as rewarding as a flailing player exhausting his ingame and RL stamina hitting my arms and shoulders, biding my time, and when the speed of his attacks start to dwindle, getting medievel on his ass. I can only imagine the frustration at the other end of the internet connection when my fists turn his face to pulp...

This game is far from perfect, but damn it can be satisfying.

Belfast

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wish there were more straight-up "fun" exercises. But that might be going beyond the theme of the game.

Still wonder why nobody has created a real, high-quality fitness game that is focused more around "gamey" elements than true-to-life exercises. Even those motion titles that do tax you don't make that their main focus and only do so as a side-effect,

Afrikan

Belfast said:
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wish there were more straight-up "fun" exercises. But that might be going beyond the theme of the game.

Still wonder why nobody has created a real, high-quality fitness game that is focused more around "gamey" elements than true-to-life exercises. Even those motion titles that do tax you don't make that their main focus and only do so as a side-effect,

didn't Eyetoy's Kinectic do stuff like that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4d5anfjnA

edit- man Kinectic was ahead of its time... these exercises seemed so much more fun and useful..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObkV7bLhZF8&feature=related

and soothing :D

Oni Jazar

Animation-Imp said:
The training exercises are

Good post. I'm actually very interested in the game now. It's a shame that the game has a few problems but it looks like the core concept is pretty damn cool.

So I guess the more time spent learning the nuances of the game is yielding a more favorable opinion by those who are willing to learn how too play the game.

http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/reviews/the-fight-review.html

The Fight is far from a perfect game, but in the same respect, it is far from a bad one. While other games may have received a lower score, the enjoyment of the game far outweighs some of its issues and design flaws.
The motion control works very well, even with the included limitations, and adds to the fun experience. Visually, the game looks great, with a dark almost Sin City look to it, with splashes of colour in stark contrast to the almost monochromatic fighters.

Loudninja

gluv65 said:
So I guess the more time spent learning the nuances of the game is yielding a more favorable opinion by those who are willing to learn how too play the game.

http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/reviews/the-fight-review.html

The Fight is far from a perfect game, but in the same respect, it is far from a bad one. While other games may have received a lower score, the enjoyment of the game far outweighs some of its issues and design flaws.
The motion control works very well, even with the included limitations, and adds to the fun experience. Visually, the game looks great, with a dark almost Sin City look to it, with splashes of colour in stark contrast to the almost monochromatic fighters.

Yeah I like that glad to see this,seeing more and more positive impressions.

Afrikan

PSU "review" 5.0
http://www.psu.com/reviews/10058?ut...:+PlayStation-Universe+(PlayStation+Universe)
Rocky Balboa you're not. The Fight: Lights Out is a sluggish game of boxing with less than impressive Move controls.

We like

* The illegal moves, such as headbutting. Move works well here and it's satisfying to drop the nut
* The gritty locations and sombre atmosphere

We dislike

* The inconsistent Move controls. You won't land a punch every time, even if you were accurate
* How it's physically exhausting. The fact that motion-sensing isn't always great means that you put more effort in, and it kills you
* Going to the gym. You tire yourself out before the fights

I know reviews are just the "opinion" of one person or what ever....but sometimes opinions are just ridiculous.

Physically exhausting? in a 1:1 fighting game? you don't say.

funny thing is, I don't like that this game has gesture illegal moves...hopefully you can play online with filtering that off or something...

can't wait till tomorrow.

Belfast said:

I actually think it is rather awesome that the real training exercises in the game work so well and match their real life counterparts so well. I like them a lot.

Is this out today? Most online sites say it's backordered now. Amazon says the 14th. Best Buy in store pick up says ship to store. Only Gamestop lists it ships within 24 hours. Anyone find it yet? Especially at toys r us?

Afrikan

some are saying its because of Call of Dookie....but you would think that they would want to have their game box up there showing, with all these gamers in these store purchasing COD.

I don't know what SCEA is thinking.

Could be? Seems to be reviewing bad, but selling beyond expectations at least - I hear people complain they went looking for it and couldn't find it. Of course shipments could just be really low as well. Maybe they had to make room for a certain racing game :lol

Afrikan

Maastricht said:
Could be? Seems to be reviewing bad, but selling beyond expectations at least - I hear people complain they went looking for it and couldn't find it. Of course shipments could just be really low as well. Maybe they had to make room for a certain racing game :lol

I was thinking about going to the GT5's PlayStation Blog area to ask "GT5 is a good game, but WHERE IS THE FIGHT: Lights out??? :mad: "

Tried my first online match today - looks like most fighters are doing ranked matches, so if you can't find a match, check there.

I got totally owned by someone who clearly had been playing this game a lot already (big, lots of clothes I haven't unlocked) with some maxed out abilities it seems, as he knocked me out in maybe 1.8 seconds. :lol

Maastricht said:
Tried my first online match today - looks like most fighters are doing ranked matches, so if you can't find a match, check there.

I got totally owned by someone who clearly had been playing this game a lot already (big, lots of clothes I haven't unlocked) with some maxed out abilities it seems, as he knocked me out in maybe 1.8 seconds. :lol

How does spectator mode work? Can we have 10 people watching?

Bought the game and played it yesterday for about 30 minutes. This game has clearly a learning curve! I like the introduction by Danny Trejo, great fit there Sony!

I just played trough the tutorial and had one sparring fight. Would like to conduct some training sessions, but i have no in-game money :)

The tutorial explains the core game mechanics really well, and Danny pushes you to give your best. My first impressions are quit good, i like the game so far and can see me putting more of my playtime in that game.

I will probably post more impressions after i found the time to play the game for some hours.

Top Bottom