• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

I think its funnier that Alonso and Hamilton get along better when driving for opposing teams when they could have killed one another at Mclaren

People don't realise the mutual respect those two guys have for each other, too many people are still brainwashed by the media balls of 2007.

A lot of people also forget a lot of that 2007 tension was Dennis' fault.

Should be, he set a time within 107% of the Q1 fastest in FP3.

Ah yes I forgot about practise.

Mohonky

Yet a lot of people still think that Alonso is arrogant.

Its the whole 'i am the number 1 driver, i should be getting more support / move my team mate over so i can pass self entitlement'.

Then there were the lawyers when he was at mclaren etc.

He seems happier and more content at Ferrari because the team obviously work around him and Massa is clearly a support driver who will also be feeding off whatever Scraps he can get from Alonso rather than challenging him.

Myself not a fan of Alonso, but he has shown far more humility since he joined ferrari

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The McLaren is working to Hamilton's strength's today, its oversteering kinda like a go-kart.

The Bridgestone tyres in 07-08 when Hamilton was amazingly fast were like this and the car was also setup this way.

Button hates the car like that and wants the car as neutral as possible.

navanman

so 4 poles for hamilton so far. no one complaining about that yet. :)

just saying.
Hasn't won a race yet or looked close to winning one so far.
Last year pole virtually guaranteed win for Vettel.

With the new rules, pole means you are first on grid and thats it..

Igo

Hasn't won a race yet or looked close to winning one so far.
Last year pole virtually guaranteed win for Vettel.

With the new rules, pole means you are first on grid and thats it..
Nothing to do with the rules. If McLaren had decent race pace and could sort out their pit stops Lewis would probably have won a race already.

navanman

Nothing to do with the rules. If McLaren had decent race pace and could sort out their pit stops Lewis would probably have won a race already.
Thats true too. Probably should have won one race so far.

Anyway expecting Alonso to push Hamilton hard tomorrow and fight for the win.

Incredible result by Fernando, I didn't think that was possible. Now I hope for a similar start as last year, but I fear that Maldonado could break the Ferrari. Pasto isn't the most gentle driver on the grid, still very impressive result from him and his team. After the terrible season they had last year, who would've thought that they could pull it around like that. Felipe is once again the embarrassment of the Scuderia. I kind of hope that Fernando will manage to overlap him tomorrow, so he'll give up the seat by himself and stops wasting everyone's money, time, tyres and petrol. If he somehow manages to grab a point or two tomorrow, we know Domenicali replaced him with his cardbox cut out.

Leunam

About to head to a funeral but I wanted to jump in and say that this was a great qualifying. Good to see Maldonado doing well after his rough start to the season. Sauber also holding on near the top.

I'll have the preview up later today, not sure how late.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just took a survey for Austin and the proposed ticket prices were far higher than I expected.

$200 to sit on grass for three days is insane, especially given that the US GP probably won't have any meaningful support races during the weekend.

Edit: Should I share a link to the survey or respect COTA's methodology?

ibo80AoFEM2bOq.jpg

I would respect their survey, particularly since there were many price options.

I think I liked the Turn 12 grandstand at $300 the best. I want to see a map with elevatinons, because I think that turn 12 grandstand can see very far away.

It seemed they had two price tiers for everything. Did you notice that? As if they are trying to decide if they will go cheaper or more expensive overall. The higher tier was insane, the lower tier was high but very appropriate.

I also like that they include shuttle into the three day ticket prices. But is there parking downtown to accommodate thousands?

AcridMeat

Banned
Would suck for Hamilton, but it's understandable.

However, 1 liter of fuel isn't a 0.5s advantage. Stupid move from McLaren though.

Just rewatch the last 30 seconds.
What happened to Button and Webber? Sad that McLaren are so desperate to do such a thing.

What happened to Button and Webber? Sad that McLaren are so desperate to do such a thing.

Not sure about Button, he was complaining all weekend about his car setup, was heard over the radio complaining about terrible oversteer.

Red Bull told Webber his time was good enough so he didn't go out again, mistake by the team.

Lach

I repeat what I already said in Bahrain. We need Grid Penalty for everyone not setting a time in Q3. 5 places seem reasonable.

Plus a Grid Penalty for everyone not making it back into pits after quali/race. No "force majeure" bullshit. Just plain and simple.

f0rk

I repeat what I already said in Bahrain. We need Grid Penalty for everyone not setting a time in Q3. 5 places seem reasonable.

But in some situations it would be better to qualify in 11th than 10th to save tyres, that's just as dumb as not running.

AcridMeat

Banned
Not sure about Button, he was complaining all weekend about his car setup, was heard over the radio complaining about terrible oversteer.

Red Bull told Webber his time was good enough so he didn't go out again, mistake by the team.
So nothing out of the ordinary for those two.

Plus a Grid Penalty for everyone not making it back into pits after quali/race. No "force majeure" bullshit. Just plain and simple.
The solution I see is to have a separate tyre allocation for qualifying and the race, instead of just the weekend. Then teams don't have an incentive to sit out Q3, giving paying customers a better show. Fuck tyre preservation, are they really that bad for the environment?

NHale

According to Ted Kravitz, McLaren said to FIA that it was a tech problem that forced Hamilton to pit but they refuse to give the concrete reason that made him stop. Now the question is why would they refuse to give the reason if that will certainly mean a penalty?

The solution I see is to have a separate tyre allocation for qualifying and the race, instead of just the weekend. Then teams don't have an incentive to sit out Q3, giving paying customers a better show. Fuck tyre preservation, are they really that bad for the environment?

Much cheaper and easier solution: Give 1 extra set of the softer tyre to each car that can only be used on Q3. Problem solved.

EDIT: Ted Kravitz tweet:

If stewards don't buy McLaren's excuse HAM cd lose pole, penalties vary from fine to 5 or 10 place grid drop to back of grid/pit lane start

The FIA made the right choice.
Strongly agree, I think the 107% is a bit arbitrary. It's in everyone's interest to have more cars on the track and a better show. As long as they're consistent with their rulings on backfield (which I think they have been) no need to get so anal about unsporting rules.

kharma45

Yeah out of the two shite teams Marussia are the only one I see progressing.

Don't they have some sort of deal with McLaren now or something?

arena08

I personally see Marussia getting better.

They may seem to be getting better but the results haven't changed. This is the 3rd (correct me if I'm wrong) season we've had the three 'new' teams in yet they all still consistently finish at the back of the grid. That doesn't seem like progression to me.

I don't agree. Those cars are very slow, and that rule was put in place for a reason.

I bet he will get overlapped 6 or 7 times tomorrow. Let's hope he doesn't become a cucumber again

I think it's right to let them race.

Back in the "old" days there were often races with only 4-5 cars on the lead lap and there weren't many complaints.

The rule is basically there to be able to remove teams that ALWAYS end up outside 107%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom