• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

You'll find less bollocks in US anti-piracy laws than you will in the FIA.

Absolutely ridiculous, nothing else for it. I don't know why I bother following this sport sometimes.

Of all the tracks to start last from, Catalunya has to be one of the worst. Yet another possible-win stolen from Hamilton from faults not his own. At least he can start on the harder tyre I guess, but Hamilton hardly as a reputation for making tyre strategies like that work.

I'll be amazed if he even makes the top five.

Penalty is NOT fair. How is making him DEAD LAST fair when he was competing with 9 other cars in Q3? Place him 10th and give the team a fine, nothing more.

And Pirelli/FIA need to do something about Q3 and tires. Either give the drivers qualifying only tires or some sort of penalty if they don't turn in a time. Just anything to get the cars out on the track at least.

I'm fine with harsh penalties. It means direct impact. A team fine doesn't have the same level of impact as their championship competitve car/driver possibly not scoring any points. That's the kind of stuff that really hits home and will make them think twice.

Steve Machett on the US commentary had a great idea about Q3. Pirelli provides an extra set of tires just for Q3 runners. Everyone gets a fresh set BUT Pirelli takes that set away after qualifying. No reason for a team to not run.

imWzNqiDdWmuC.png

CiSTM

Banned
I've no idea. I don't see how stopping on track after the race is any different to stopping on track after qualifying.
Rules are rules. Rules say you have to have enough juice to get into the pit and still have 1l for sample. But i think the penalty was too harsh. Pit drive-thru or 10th place would been enough.

Rules are rules. Rules say you have to have enough juice to get into the pit and still have 1l for sample. Penalty was too harsh. Pit drive-thru or 10th place would been enough.

stupidly harsh. Unless the rules strictly say that his quali time gets scrapped? at least scrap Q3's time not the whole thing!!!!!!

Rules are rules. Rules say you have to have enough juice to get into the pit and still have 1l for sample. But i think the penalty was too harsh. Pit drive-thru or 10th place would been enough.

The question is, why aren't these rules applied after the race? Almost every race there's driver stopped near the pit wall or a bit after because he has no fuel left to get to the pits and a sample.

CiSTM

Banned
The question is, why aren't these rules applied after the race? Almost every race there's driver stopped near the pit wall or a bit after because he has no fuel left to get to the pits and a sample.
They don't have to give fuel sample after race. Also you can't really foresee race conditions while it's fairly easy to predict quali conditions.

I think in qualifying you gain a distinct advantage if you race with low fuel. I think McLaren pushed it a bit too far in wanting to secure pole. Seeing Hamilton was fast already they should have been able to calculate the correct amount of fuel needed to get him back safely without incurring a penalty.

In the race, it gets more unpredictable with fuel consumption with factors such as overtaking and driving harder to protect positions therefore if a driver runs out of fuel it's harder to predict.

ANDY_098

They don't have to give sample after race, and you can't really foresee race conditions while it's fairly easy to predict quali conditions.

They have to be able to give a 1l sample at any time during the event.

The problem I have is why they cannot stop on track after qualifying, but they can after the race.

The penalty is a fucking joke considering Hamilton was one of the few in Q3 actually trying to qualify.

Oh well, happy 70'th Sir Frank.

tried being using lighter fuel loads, right? It's a mclaren fault and if they only had a drive through you would see a lot of slower runners do this to get up the grid in quali all the time.

Ark

Can’t put the tyres on, can’t put the fuel in.

We all wanted to know what would happen if McLaren had the best car and not Red Bull and this is what happens.

No wonder they’ve haven’t won the constructors since 1999.

From the comments section from F1Fanatic.

Seanbob11

Since only a few even bothered to try and set a good time in Q3, what do you think the chances are of Alonso holding to his position during the race. Or even winning the GP?

jee

Its easy to calculate the fuel needed for qualification. If it was allowed, everyone would run out of fuel after the fast lap to optimize the car's weight (and possibly ruining someone else's fast lap).

Personally I think not competing in a qualifing session and "cheating" by saving tyres is far worse than not having enough fuel. Didnt B.Senna crash out on his last lap on Q1? Surely he didnt get back to the pits by himself and pretty sure he didnt have to start at the back?

Nolan.

I knew it, Mclaren ha screwed both drivers but Lewis is just fucked so many times it's just saddening to watch, I don't see his 2012 campaign going well at all now even though he's bettered himself, terrible.

mxgt

Banned
Sometimes I really hate this sport. Meanwhile all these pussy teams that don't even send their drivers out get to sit pretty.

_machine

If Mclaren did lie to the judges about having enough fuel and a techinal problem, then I think the penalty is somewhat fair. It's not fair to Lewis, off course, and he's probably very pissed, but Mclaren did screw up pretty good.

Much as I like Bruno, I really wouldn't mind seeing Bottas replace him. Apparently Salo even believes we'll see him racing sometime this season.

olore

Just came back from training and read that Lewis goes from first to last.

I just shake my head at McLaren, ugh. FWIW I will enjoy seeing him slice and dice through the field. Also, will Whitmarsh launch an investigation in how the fuel rig is worked by the mechanics?

John_B

McLaren has arguably the strongest car and the stongest driver pairing, yet somehow the team operate like a monkey pushing random buttons in a control room.

It's mind blasting.

ANDY_098

If Mclaren did lie to the judges about having enough fuel and a techinal problem, then I think the penalty is somewhat fair. It's not fair to Lewis, off course, and he's probably very pissed, but Mclaren did screw up pretty good.

They had a technical problem with the refuelling system, which is what they told the stewards. McLaren had no reason to intentionally under fuel the car, Hamilton would have still got pole easily.

arena08

Hope the fuel rig guy was not the same guy who was on the left rear in Bahrain.

Gary Anderson on the BBC website:
"The fuel rig guy put the rig on, but he had the handle set to drain fuel. He discovered his mistake and switched it to put fuel in the car. But as a result he didn't put as much fuel in it as he should have. You have to be able to drive back to the pit-lane and have one litre of fuel left for the FIA to test. He went across the start-finish line 20 seconds before the chequered flag but if they had sat in the garage for three or four more seconds to get more fuel in, they still would have had time to cross the line and complete another flying lap."

That will never happen. Championships should not be decided on a Saturday.

you're right but something has to be done about Q3. Quali tyres could be the best solution (just add an extra set of options for quali)

McLaren has arguably the strongest car and the stongest driver pairing, yet somehow the team operate like a monkey pushing random buttons in a control room.

It's mind blasting.

I like Whitmarsh, but I don't think he's doing a great job

Somewhere in Woking Ron Dennis is fuming

I miss Ron..

McLaren refueller turned the tap to 'drain' instead of 'fill' briefly, realised his error but engineers sent car out

lol

Kimi vs Grosjean for the win.

Long run pace indicates that Räikkönen is the favourite so he's my pick for victory tomorrow :D

Podium:

1 Räikkönen
2 Grosjean
3 Button

Nolan.

From Gary Anderson
"The fuel rig guy put the rig on, but he had the handle set to drain fuel. He discovered his mistake and switched it to put fuel in the car. But as a result he didn't put as much fuel in it as he should have. You have to be able to drive back to the pit-lane and have one litre of fuel left for the FIA to test. He went across the start-finish line 20 seconds before the chequered flag but if they had sat in the garage for three or four more seconds to get more fuel in, they still would have had time to cross the line and complete another flying lap. Sometimes I don't think McLaren think on their feet."

Seriously! just makes no sense

Lucius86

Banned
Just to go on a massive bender of a night out - just read the news...

Punishment does not fit the crime. 10 grid drop I agree, but to the back? Considering all the other debatable stuff we see, this is not fair IMO if McLaren are telling eh truth (no reason not to be) that they had a hardware malfunction with the fuel rig.

Congrats to Pastor and Williams, but it would have been good they got pole without this controversey.

Yay for F1 and the complicated rules making the events we see on TV not the final result. Will totally put off the casual fans these mistakes/errors.

lol

Kimi vs Grosjean for the win.

Long run pace indicates that Räikkönen is the favourite so he's my pick for victory tomorrow :D

Podium:

1 Räikkönen
2 Grosjean
3 Button

Only if the team asked Grosjean to move, otherwise he'll just end up holding off Kimi and cost the team another win.

I reall hope Kimi pulls a start like Alonso's last year. That was one of the best starts EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK1bG8ijY5U

mxgt

Banned
McLaren are a bunch of fucking idiots, has there even been one race yet this season where they haven't screwed Lewis somehow?

ANDY_098

you're right but something has to be done about Q3. Quali tyres could be the best solution (just add an extra set of options for quali)

There should be cut off times in each session of quail to make people run.

107% of Q1 fastest to be allowed to race
105% of Q2 fastest or take a grid penalty
103% of Q3 fastest or take a grid penalty

Percentages and penalties will need tweaking, but it would make everyone go out and set a competitive lap time.

There should be cut off times in each session of quail to make people run.

107% of Q1 fastest to be allowed to race
105% of Q2 fastest or take a grid penalty
103% of Q3 fastest or take a grid penalty

Percentages and penalties will need tweaking, but it would make everyone go out and set a competitive lap time.

makes sense, but it'll be too complicated for spectators. Also, they can't even enforce the current 107% rule, there will be a lot of "exceptions"

Teams excuse not to run now is to save tyres. Give them an extra set usable only in quali. Problem solved

I'm not the biggest McLaren or LH fan, but that decision: feelsbadman.jpg

I just hope Vettel and RBR dont pull their pit stop magic and magically find themselves on front again :/

Kimi, Grosjean , Alonso or Perez win is fine by me :p

Nolan.

I can't wait to hear Martin's excuse tomorrow something like 'In hindsight we realised that it is something that shouldn't have happened but this is motor racing and these kind of things happen...' or something more emotive like 'I think the thing we should perhaps realise is that the man in charge of putting the fuel into Lewis' car lost his cat the night before, it's easily done.'

Risgroo

I'm starting to hate McLaren, they are unbelievably sloppy. Big budget, great drivers, great car, and yet they insist on throwing it all away every weekend.

If you want to blame anyone for the bad Qualifying show this year it's Pirelli. They're the ones who are making the tires fall off so quickly and act so inconsistently between sets. If having fresh tires is more valuable than a handful of grid positions it's really clear who's at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom