• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omiee

i went to family right after qualy. i was so pissed hamilton was on pole. but this really sucks. i know rules are rules but thats just harsh.

he trully deserved it, what an amazing lap it was by him.
but how uterly incompetent can his team be to send him out for one lap and not have enough fuel in there.

maldonado on pole. looool!!

f1rm points!!

Omiee

alonso to be in p1 by the first corner. will be very interesting to see how hamiltons race will be tomorrow.

and webber and button should make the race even more interesting.

ANDY_098

If you want to blame anyone for the bad Qualifying show this year it's Pirelli. They're the ones who are making the tires fall off so quickly and act so inconsistently between sets. If having fresh tires is more valuable than a handful of grid positions it's really clear who's at fault.

I think Pirelli were put in a difficult position. Bridgestone were criticised by many (myself included) for making tyres which do not degrade and last too long, Pirelli have said from the beginning they wanted to make tyres which would degrade rapidly. Now they have gone too far and are taking flak for it.

I think they have got it right in terms of race entertainment, though qualifying has taken a blow. Hopefully they can find a way to increase activity in qualifying without taking anything away from the racing.

Risgroo

Maybe they could hand out an extra set of tires? And make setting a full flying lap in Q3 mandatory, barring any technical issues or incidents.

Koshiro

Jesus, this is pretty harsh. On the one hand McLaren messed up, and should be punished. On the other, DQ from quali is too much. Put back to 10th seems more appropriate.

mblitek

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! God damn it! Jesus christ for f*ck's sake! Piece of sh!t, stupid ass McLaren.

Alternatively, I'm pumped to see Williams doing so well! Too bad about Senna though, it would have been interesting to see if he could have made Q3 and if so whereabouts. Tomorrow's race will be pretty exciting and there are lots of potential candidates to win the race. I think this is the first race in my F1 viewing career where so many potential people/teams can win it.

DBT85

Really harsh on Hamilton but maybe this one more thing added to the list of crap McLaren have been pulling in recent weeks will make them wake up.

Ark

I find it slightly ironic that the year Hamilton appears to have jumped back into his A-game is the year McLaren decide to show their idiocy again.

NHale

Maybe they could hand out an extra set of tires? And make setting a full flying lap in Q3 mandatory, barring any technical issues or incidents.

Then you will have teams saying the car had brake problems, a suspension failure, etc.

But like you said just give 1 extra set of the softer tyres in Q3 (that can only be used at Q3) and teams will be stupid not to use them. If they don't run a flying lap is because they really couldn't.

It's 10 extra set of tyres for Pirelli per race which is comical in terms of costs for them.

Really harsh on Hamilton but maybe this one more thing added to the list of crap McLaren have been pulling in recent weeks will make them wake up.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Sam Michael undermining Whitmarsh authority within the team.

jey_16

Banned
Wow....just saw the penalty, I hate Mclaren but it seems a bit harsh. Hopefully, Hamilton joins another team next year.

Renault going to win tomorrow, despite the great improvement, I don't see Ferrari having the pace over race distance but Alonso will fight it out

Adamm

Just heard the news!

I would have liked to have seen Hamiltons face when he heard it.

Although its harsh, I think its about time they did something about people under fueling cars - it seems to be happening alot these days.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Bad luck for LH, seems the team is stuffing up both drivers lately. Anyone know Webs tyre situation? How many sets does he have unused? IMO tomorrow is gonna come down to tyre strategy because the teams are so close right now.

NHale

Wow....just saw the penalty, I hate Mclaren but it seems a bit harsh. Hopefully, Hamilton joins another team next year.

Renault going to win tomorrow, despite the great improvement, I don't see Ferrari having the pace over race distance but Alonso will fight it out

Lotus showed the best pace and tyre degradation on the long runs during Friday practice. McLaren was a close 2nd and Ferrari was supposedly running at the same pace of the Red Bulls. Of course sandbagging etc..

The Ferrari wasn't all that bad during the first races of the season, the qualify was always a bigger problem than race pace, so don't count Alonso out yet.

Maldonado on pole? Urgh! I want new faces to do well but not that dickhead.

Really unlucky for Hammy. McLaren need to step their shit up this year. The punishment was way too harsh though. Why not just ignore his Q3 performance?

Q3 was a fucking joke. I see people blaming Pirelli in this thread but that's not the source of the problem - it's the teams and the FIA. There needs to be a rule, starting from the next race, that if you don't go out and put in a competitive lap then you get a 10 place grid penalty. That's all it needs.

The fact they have the fixed number of tyres for quali and the race is great. It adds another layer of tactics and it's not Pirelli's fault that the teams are being fucking pussies. I understand why they've started doing it, but it needs to be squashed now. That's on the FIA, not Pirelli.

If they had tyres they could burn through in quali and then fresh ones for the race it wouldn't be as fun. Managing the tyres in quali is part of the sport. I don't want that changed. Just punish the goddamn teams.

Foliorum Viridum said:
If they had tyres they could burn through in quali and then fresh ones for the race it wouldn't be as fun. Managing the tyres in quali is part of the sport. I don't want that changed. Just punish the goddamn teams.
Aren't you contradicting yourself? You're basically suggesting that you get punished for managing the tyres in certain way.

In a way, yes, but that strategy is one that ruins the sport.

Some strategies, like cutting corners, are banned for a reason. The strategy of sitting out Q3 should be too - the FIA have an obligation to ensure an entertaining show, I think. Having 7 out of 10 cars sit in a garage isn't that.

Zinga

Banned
IIRC Hamilton and Mclaren have done this trick with fuel before, if you think of it that way then I think the FIAs punishment is fair.

Omiee

hamilton should really go to red bull next year.

what an amazing battle that would be between vettel and hamilton.

Red bull at least have their strategy etc right

IIRC Hamilton and Mclaren have done this trick with fuel before, if you think of it that way then I think the FIAs punishment is fair.

canada 2010

ANDY_098

Hmmm, have they? Webber caught sitting in the pits; Vettel cruising along casually during Q3 (though I guess the result of that strategy will be revealed tomorrow).

Scrubbing a set of soft tyres probably. They will last slightly longer in the race after going through a heat cycle.

You think McLaren would pull a 'trick' like that when he was comfortably the fastest out there? I don't think McLaren are that stupid.

Dead Man

Pastor+Maldonado+Australian+F1+Grand+Prix+YzLl1DcIGB8l.jpg

moonraker-jaws.jpg

Quali rules need some tweaking. Pole should get some points to solve that issue

Quali rules need some tweaking, but not point for qualy. Just bring back quali tyres.

... which bring Lewis' total number of positions lost due to McLaren's 2012 incompetence to 41. I can't imagine he'll be there next year at this rate.

Road

BS rules.

Would love to see Hamilton going back to the podium or perhaps no. 1. Hopefully he won't be so pissed to the point of going back to the reckless mode of the previous season(s).

I'd like to see the math for that.
I don't have an exact break down, but it's something like:
First 3 races = lost a total of 10 places due to pit stops
Bahrain = lost 8 places due to pit stops
Spain = lost 23 places due fuelling issue

I didn't include the gearbox penalty though, as I didn't put that down to incompetence, so the total is actually 46 positions!

dubc35

just got around to watching qualy, amazing results. Great drive by Lewis, I wish Jenson was higher up but qualy redeemed itself after I thought Q3 would be an empty track.

Xun

I find it slightly ironic that the year Hamilton appears to have jumped back into his A-game is the year McLaren decide to show their idiocy again.
Indeed.

It's fucking bullshit.

Once again I don't see this as being a good year for Lewis sadly...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
hamilton should really go to red bull next year.

what an amazing battle that would be between vettel and hamilton.

Red bull at least have their strategy etc right

canada 2010
He wouldn't play second fiddle to Vettel and unless he accomplishes what Button has done at McLaren it will be a disaster for everyone involved except us. It would be glorious to behold the fireworks and the discord in that potential pairing.

Mercedes is another option, but why would he risk the security of McLaren for a team that may not exist in its current guise in the next few seasons if Mercedes pull out of the sport.

He can't do what Senna did with Williams when he realised that McLaren could no longer offer him what he wanted.

Ferrari? No.
Lotus? Can't see it happening.

He has nowhere else to go.

moojito

I wouldn't write the season off for anyone just yet. Despite Vettel having a pretty rubbish start to the season, he's in the lead! Alonso in his red yugo is still in touch with the leaders. Should ferarri sort themselves out he'll be right in there, and Hamilton is in exactly the same boat. I don't think these mclaren human errors are anything other than just a string of bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom