• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
i think the fact we really have a battle this year will make this thread far more popular than last year.
Yeah, that'll really inspire some good discussion and even some fiery debate amongst the driver/team fans, us neutrals who love the sport as a whole or whose favourite drivers are sadly dead will witness discord on a whole new level. It'll be fun.

Finally got the BBC highlights working. Coulthard seems to be making a really good job of the commentary. I'd argue he was the best of the four today.

Any other American F1 fans in here? I watched the race twice today on Speed and I guess their presentation was fine. I don't have anything to judge it by except the few races they show on Fox but I think I much rather prefer Speed.

To any of those who have watched a Fox or Speed presentation how do they compare with BBC and Sky?

Oh and I'm so excited for this season and really happy to see Button have such a good opening race. I hope the season continues to be as intense all year as it was today.

S. L.

watched the repeat and it was a good race. (what's the deal with Australians being awake while we sleep?)
all in all the whole field is pretty close together. good stuff

AndyD

aka andydumi
Any other American F1 fans in here? I watched the race twice today on Speed and I guess their presentation was fine. I don't have anything to judge it by except the few races they show on Fox but I think I much rather prefer Speed.

To any of those who have watched a Fox or Speed presentation how do they compare with BBC and Sky?

I am in the US but I grew up in Europe and watched F1 on euro channels, and I still get euro F1 coverage now and again.

I think Speed is significantly better this year than in the past. The HD overlays are actually HD oriented, the coverage is longer so we get some prerace and postrace and the commercials are not pre-scheduled but fluid to match the action like other sports. I think Speed is doing a good job now, whereas it was abysmal before. Fox was even worse than Speed in the past, so we will see this year.

As to how it compares to Euro coverage, its far weaker. The commentators are not as good, the pre-race coverage is not as good (interviews and grid walk), there are commercials, there is no post race forum as on BBC and there is little online content to help the live content. So while Speed is decent, its not in the same league as BBC.

Imagine how football is treated in the US on TV and that's how F1 is treated in Europe. Until we get an american F1 race and some american drivers and solid viewership, we wont get the proper kind of coverage, but currently its not bad.

ANDY_098

Where did they get this? This sort of stuff doesn't normally come out does it?

I don't know how this came out, but I've never seen anything like this before so releasing it to the public must be new for this season.

e: Button asked his engineer about blue flags as well, they were to warn about cars exiting the pits.

e2: Button complained again. Lots of cars were complaining about it, there was a problem with the system according to his engineer.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I got the impression from the quick chat Button had with Vettel after the race and before the weigh-in that there was an errant marshall being a bit flaky with the flags, looks like Kimi had good reason to get on the radio.

I really didn't expect Kimi to be as on it in his first race back as he was, impressive.

If Button beats Hamilton again soon before Lewis gets a win I can see Hamiltons exit from the team. (Or rather, a failure to sign a new contract) - So, with Jenson in the driving seat at McLaren and Hamilton gone to pastures new, who do you think would be up to taking the 2nd seat at McLaren? (And even I, as a prime JB fan that supported JB's move to McLaren couldn't see that possible scenario playing out!)

And whilst neither Maldonado or Petrov are particularly of any interest to me it was great, as a Brit, to see Williams with a car that is so much improved over last year, if only for the historical value they bring to the track, I'd hate to lose them but in all honestly I don't think, without a string of good results, it will be enough to save them.

And Perez really is a dark horse, early days yet but I think he could be future WDC material with the right team, coaching and luck.

Adamm

Lol rob smedley to massa on the radio "ok, just drive straight into fernandos garage"

untitled-36ikex.gif

He said straight filipe!

ANDY_098

Rules for this year say all radio communication needs to be on clear channels. I was expecting a lot more of it during the race.

They have always been open though haven't they? I remember hearing that teams often listen into each others radio during the race.

TylerD

Oh and I'm so excited for this season and really happy to see Button have such a good opening race. I hope the season continues to be as intense all year as it was today.

I suggest watching the Euro coverage of a race live if you can find a stream and DVR the Speed coverage. The Euro coverage can be very serious and I think that the Speed coverage with its much more laid back nature is a really nice compliment to follow up on later. The knowledge and exposure of the Euro teams are head and shoulders better than the access that Speed gets although I think that Will Buxton does a good job with his limited resources. The Speed studio guys are watching on monitors in North Carolina for every race.

Many seem to hate/despise the Speed coverage but I have grown quite fond of the guys and it is much quicker to blow through with the ads. The Fox races are really pretty bad and they are constantly explaining the most basic rules and tech aspects every race since they are in much more "normal" time slots.

I have noticed that the onscreen graphics and HD feed on Speed seems to be better quality this year and they are using different music and better graphics. I miss the Speed F1 intro tune, but this year I get to hear it during OKC Thunder highlights at halftime and after games.

OK guys i need some help, so relying on the awesome F1 GAF to provide some ideas.

What with the coverage now being on sky I'm going to be watching the F1 round a mates house every week, as such i need to provide some sort of food, so I'm thinking i will do some F1 based food with a bit of word play

As i was working this weekend/today i didn't have much time to plan anything so ended up rolling up with some cadbury button easter eggs.

I have to think up about 22 ideas or so i guess and have got a few already:

Kimi Ricepudding
Bernie Eclescakes
Narendra Karthipiean
Felipe Mascaponi

can you help?

S. L.

OK guys i need some help, so relying on the awesome F1 GAF to provide some ideas.

What with the coverage now being on sky I'm going to be watching the F1 round a mates house every week, as such i need to provide some sort of food, so I'm thinking i will do some F1 based food with a bit of word play

As i was working this weekend/today i didn't have much time to plan anything so ended up rolling up with some cadbury button easter eggs.

Kimi Ricepudding
Bernie Eclescakes
Narendra Karthipiean
Felipe Mascaponi

can you help?
serve some ham rolls or something along those lines as Vettel Fingers :D

ANDY_098

Just made a discovery that I thought you F1 iOS based fans might be interested in. Go to the AppStore (I am UK based so I know it's there at least) and for 69p you can purchase 'tv deutsch deluxe' which has RTL HD streaming and works like a charm. I have no idea if they cut you off come the race as I just found it but it might be worth a shot for us guys left with just the BBC.

Did anyone try this to watch the race?

Kimi Ricepudding
Bernie Eclescakes
Narendra Karthipiean
Felipe Mascaponi

can you help?

Fernando Alollipop? or something more related to his Italian team: Fernando Alasagna

Speaking of Ferrari and all things Italy, I know hes not an active F1 driver, but Giancarlo Fisichella can be Giancarlo Fishnchips

xptoxyz

Couldn't watch it live, but I managed to avoid spoilers for almost 20 hours and just finished watching the race now. A great first race, some nice fighting for some middle places. Can't help but feel Vettel is again so lucky with the timing on the safety car.

Septimius

Wow, so I see. Didn't expect him to get banned, I just said to the mods to have a word with him about it but I guess they saw fit to do so.

Edit - Ha just noticed this

"Reason: Don't be a dick."

It was completely uncalled for by the guy, so I totally see it being reasons to ban. It'd be completely unacceptable over in gaming, so it's only fair that people can't spoil other things for others here on GAF. I wonder how long it's for, though.

kharma45

It was completely uncalled for by the guy, so I totally see it being reasons to ban. It'd be completely unacceptable over in gaming, so it's only fair that people can't spoil other things for others here on GAF. I wonder how long it's for, though.

Suppose so, gaming side is somewhere I don't venture much so don't have much experience with how spoilers are dealt with.

Septimius

I'm still so surprised by the season opener. For Williams to be so good, for Alonso to be able to get to where he did with that car, for Red Bull to actually be on pace. Who knows where Lotus will end up once they get their stuff together. Mercedes definitely is up there. Even Sauber was mighty. The only team that seems weaker than expected are Force India. It's like it's:

McLaren
Red Bull
Mercedes, Lotus, Ferrari, Williams
Sauber

Force India
Toro Rosso

Those other guys

And less than a week until we're back in action! :D I think teams will normalize a bit and settle in for the next race, and we might get a clearer picture of where teams actually are. But this was still a brilliant opening

oipic

Every race has its aberrations: top cars/drivers under-performing for whatever reason, midfielders grabbing unexpected points etc, conditions particularly suiting a certain car/driver combo, but Melbourne has performed its role admirably once again - we're still largely none the wiser as to what was an aberration, or not.

Malaysia will obviously tell us more, but gee, it looks like we're in for a helluva season, whatever the case. Gotta love F1.

As a Melburnian, I just wish all this talk of giving up the race would die down - I'm horribly biased, admittedly, but surely it's a spectacular advertisement for the city?

To those of you in far away lands, I would love to know if, or how, Melbourne holding the race affects your perception of the city in particular, and the nation in general? Is the race just 'down there' in Australia somewhere, or are you conscious of the host city, too?

mclem

Kimi Ricepudding
Bernie Eclescakes
Narendra Karthipiean
Felipe Mascaponi

can you help?

Ages ago, Ant and Dec (bear with me!) had a not-too successful precursor to Saturday Night Takeaway. A regular segment of that was a race between young children ("Formula 6 1/2). A couple of the racers there would fit for you... if you're willing to delve into the archives a bit:

Jenson Chocolate Button
Johnny Sherbet

(The other two were Teddy Irvine and Michael Pre-schoolmacher.)

Also, from my own brain:

Drinks:
Sebastien Vittel
Vimtonio Liuzzi
Pedro De La Rosé (wine)
Red Bull (Dull, but effective)

Food:
Jérôme d'Ambrosia Creamed Rice
Nico Battenberg
Nico Iceberg (lettuce)
Alexander Rosti (potatoes)
Murray Walker's Crisps
Jenson Biltong
Slices of meat, simply labelled "Cat or Ham?"

And after all that eating...

Bruno Senokot

Shaneus

Kimi Ricepudding
Bernie Eclescakes
Narendra Karthipiean
Felipe Mascaponi

can you help?
Kamui Kobaysushi
Paul di Shesta(? bit of a stretch)
Heikki Kovaheineken
Michael Schumacaroni

You could also have some wordplay on names, too... like, peaches but with the seeds in them so people have to make a pit stop. Yeah, I know. I'm still exhausted from the weekend :(

Also keep in mind that "vittles" is a term for a spread of food or something (learned that from Haterbot ;) ).

I suggest watching the Euro coverage of a race live if you can find a stream and DVR the Speed coverage. The Euro coverage can be very serious and I think that the Speed coverage with its much more laid back nature is a really nice compliment to follow up on later. The knowledge and exposure of the Euro teams are head and shoulders better than the access that Speed gets although I think that Will Buxton does a good job with his limited resources. The Speed studio guys are watching on monitors in North Carolina for every race.

Many seem to hate/despise the Speed coverage but I have grown quite fond of the guys and it is much quicker to blow through with the ads. The Fox races are really pretty bad and they are constantly explaining the most basic rules and tech aspects every race since they are in much more "normal" time slots.

I have noticed that the onscreen graphics and HD feed on Speed seems to be better quality this year and they are using different music and better graphics. I miss the Speed F1 intro tune, but this year I get to hear it during OKC Thunder highlights at halftime and after games.

I didn't watch SPEED this weekend, but they updated all the graphics packages? This is a good thing, but I really, really miss the best U.S. coverage intro music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePf72xxKl_Q

Fuck yeah, ESPN SpeedWorld. :(

I agree with Tyler that I like Varsha and Hobbs as a team. It sucks that they do have to do a ton of explaining to folks during the Fox broadcasts because a.) they're always halfway through the season and b.) it's to a much larger audience of people, but they work well, and F1 on U.S. TV without Bob Varsha is so odd because he's been the voice of F1 over here since at least the early 1990s (in other words, as far back as I can remember). Hobbs has been around even longer (He was with ESPN at least as far back as 1988). They do a good job for what they're trying to do, but it doesn't really compare to the Euro broadcasts.

Did anyone try this to watch the race?

I used it and then had 5 live going on my phone. It s a HD feed and the quality was amazing with only a couple of issues buffering and having the commentary become out of sync because of that. Going to grab a hdmi av adapter and hook it up to the tv for the next race, 69p well spent.

Choc

Banned
just watched some BBC highlights

Drivers/Teams definitely 1000x more receptive to BBC than Sky reporters

wow, if that continues then it could be a very uncomfortable season for Natalie Pinkham in the pits

Choc

Banned
OK so i'm confused

BBC struck deal with Sky to ensure BBC remains with F1 but cuts costs

where are costs cut?

They still have 3 people on the ground at least to front the screen, Camera men are still there and they are still recording their own segments @ each track

Sure they don't have the production guys doing the actual race feeds, but correct me if i am wrong each country has a host broadcaster (in this case Channel 10) that becomes the World Feed that each country takes?

So if thats the case, just where was the huge expense for the BBC?

I am puzzled.

edit: post race DESTROYS sky

its no where NEAR the quality of BBC. They have a ton of work to do and to do that they need to find people with F1 pedigree. EJ gives the owners view, DC the drivers view.

You need F1 background to talk F1 imo :|

mclem

just watched some BBC highlights

Drivers/Teams definitely 1000x more receptive to BBC than Sky reporters

wow, if that continues then it could be a very uncomfortable season for Natalie Pinkham in the pits

It helps that they all *know* Lee. Particularly Vettel. I'm a little surprised Kravitz doesn't get the same acknowledgement, though. Also, I assume Brundle's still able to rope people in well enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom