• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
LMAO

The game's highest difficulty setting will be intense
z63MU.gif

britfail_by_samfiss-d4tuzd6.gif

She needs to keep it cute since this meant for children and they need to be able to keep up with her

idPadC63H2qOC.gif

Mau ®

It's ok gurl. At the end of the day, you stay playing Brit's tunes more than anybody else (except gaga). We have the receipts
brit18.gif

Kyon

Banned
Oh don't think shading eachother's faves will ever get old lmfao

Well Xtina vs Brit stuff is old, Xtina stans mostly fight with Monsters nowadays

Mumei

ElfD0.gif

it just doesn't add up right hun.

Oh.

Well, then let me explain. I do not like Britney because of her singing (though it has its own appeal unrelated to her technical ability). I like her because she has some catchy, memorable songs, especially the ones that I grew up with (2000 - 2005-ish, which is when I was going to high school (plus a bit of eighth grade)). And for that matter, I also actually like some Christina songs, particularly from the same period - actually up through Back to Basics, I think. And it just so happens that a lot things that she does that really aren't good for her voice (and sound rather awful live and have contributed to her losing a lot of her belting range) happen to sound pretty damn awesome in studio.

But I just don't think that she's nearly as good a vocalist as her stans think she is, and I think that acting as if she's the "Voice of the Generation" ignores the real gap between her actual abilities and where she would need to be to hold that title. My shading Christina has always been about her vocal problems, not about her weight being up or down or her appearance or how successful she is or whatever.

royalan

Oh.

Well, then let me explain. I do not like Britney because of her singing (though it has its own appeal unrelated to her technical ability). I like her because she has some catchy, memorable songs, especially the ones that I grew up with (2000 - 2005-ish, which is when I was going to high school (plus a bit of eighth grade)). And for that matter, I also actually like some Christina songs, particularly from the same period - actually up through Back to Basics, I think. And it just so happens that a lot things that she does that really aren't good for her voice (and sound rather awful live and have contributed to her losing a lot of her belting range) happen to sound pretty damn awesome in studio.

But I just don't think that she's nearly as good a vocalist as her stans think she is, and I think that acting as if she's the "Voice of the Generation" ignores the real gap between her actual abilities and where she would need to be to hold that title. My shading Christina has always been about her vocal problems, not about her weight being up or down or her appearance or how successful she is or whatever.

Well I'm fairly certain at this point that Cynosure IS Christina Aguilera, so I have no choice but to stan for him. LOL

Anyway, you guys will all be gagging when "Love Your Body (Fuck Your Body)" is released. the snippet I've heard sounds awesome.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
this thread got amazing while i slept

[edit]except that bit where everyone started speaking spanish and i felt left out and cried

Delio

Selena Gomez & the Scene's "Love You Like A Love Song" tops the 2 million mark in digital sales this week. It's the act's first 2-million-seller.

Come back to music Godmez I want moree.

tumblr_m11n52jSBf1qdwyffo6_250.gif

Wasn't this performance during a particularly strenuous promotion schedule for her?
The entire 90s was a particularly strenuous promotional schedule for her.

She released a new album every year, and wrote or co-wrote every single non-cover she's ever sung. This on top of her international tours, tireless re-recording of vocals for official remixes, directing music videos, contributing backup vocals for other rising artists, and charity work.

In other words, I would've been OK with a lip-synched performance or two, gerl!

Mumei

OOOOOOOOH, Mumei used COUNTERSHADE. It's Super Effective!

Haha. I should have clarified that that wasn't meant to be shade, really; I just happen to like that shade nickname for Beyonce. It's one of the better ones, I think. I like how it keeps the number of syllables consistent.

Yes, I am weird.

And as for the performance Leona linked to, she definitely sounds congested; she has a similar sound to when she was singing Emotions at the MTV VMAs (also congested). You can hear the congestion in the scratchiness when she belts in particular.

Though that definitely sounds worse there than it did at the VMAs, yeah. It's (probably) a combination of congestion and what you mentioned. She's always had a rather sensitive voice; this is her trying to sing Anytime You Need A Friend in a room that was a bit too cold for singing.

yeah, the crappier the shade name the better to be honest. like whoever it was complaining about all the messiah names being shoehorned it: they're better the crapper they are.

'Twas me!

And glad you like the video~

royalan

Haha. I should have clarified that that wasn't meant to be shade, really; I just happen to like that shade nickname for Beyonce. It's one of the better ones, I think. I like how it keeps the number of syllables consistent.

Yes, I am weird.

And as for the performance Leona linked to, she definitely sounds congested; she has a similar sound to when she was singing Emotions at the MTV VMAs (also congested). You can hear the congestion in the scratchiness when she belts in particular.

Though that definitely sounds worse there than it did at the VMAs, yeah. It's (probably) a combination of congestion and what you mentioned. She's always had a rather sensitive voice; this is her trying to sing Anytime You Need A Friend in a room that was a bit too cold for singing.

'Twas me!

And glad you like the video~

...I know this is somewhat urban legend, but isn't this true that people tend to sing better with colds? Something about the vocal chords being more rigid making it more effortless to project? I wouldn't know...surprisingly, I've never attempted to sing with a cold.

Also, random note, but "Anytime You Need A Friend" contains my second favorite Mariah Carey vocal moment. When she hits that growl in "So don't you ever be lonely"...chills every time.

My first favorite vocal moment belongs to "Can't Let Go". One my top 3 favorite Mariah songs and her best whistle register moment, in my book.

...I know this is somewhat urban legend, but isn't this true that people tend to sing better with colds? Something about the vocal chords being more rigid making it more effortless to project? I wouldn't know...surprisingly, I've never attempted to sing with a cold.
I wouldn't be surprised. Both Mariah and Leona have hit their highest live notes (G#7 and Eb6 respectively) while sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom