• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2016 Thread: Kojima Time Featuring The Kojimas

Do we know when Breath of the Wild is gonna be shown? I think I sat through the whole thing last year and Nintendo's trailer for whatever was all the way at the end.

Got home, so I updated the OP with info on RTJ, Kojima's presence, and some links to livestream locations. Will add others when they're up.

Billfisto

Am I crazy, or is there supposed to be a VGA sale on PSN?

I swore I saw an ad on my PS4 a couple days ago saying there'd be a VGA Sale at 8amPST today, but there doesn't seem to be anything yet, either on the store or the blog.

Pachimari

Wait, so if Telltale are there with The Walking Dead, then there aren't that big chances of a Guardians of the Galaxy reveal are there?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Didn't Kojima get Industry Icon last year? Like, there was a lot of hoopla since Konami wouldn't even let him show up for the awards.

MazeHaze

Banned
I think I won't get off work until after the show starts, will I be able to start the stream from the beginning at say, 9 oclock et when I get home?

skynidas

Banned

I swore I saw an ad on my PS4 a couple days ago saying there'd be a VGA Sale at 8amPST today, but there doesn't seem to be anything yet, either on the store or the blog.

Yeah, I think there will be. Probably will be live in a few hours.

It's live now in NA, just checked it. Lots of same stuff from black friday sale + The Witness and Abzu.

Sadly no Uncharted 4 sale tho.

also overwatch not getting nominated for sound direction and FURI not getting nominated for best soundtrack/best indie is a sham

Didn't Kojima get Industry Icon last year? Like, there was a lot of hoopla since Konami wouldn't even let him show up for the awards.

Last year Industry Icon went to Louis Castle and Brett Sperry, for the work of Westwood Studios in helping to shape RTS games.

Memento

I hope there is more surprises and interesting games. For now, just Mass Effect Andromeda really grabs my attention, since everyone is expecting gameplay from this game for a long time. Zelda is cool I guess, but I have seen enough already tbf.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does anyone else ever get the vibe that Geoff is hopelessly wrapped up in a one-sided friendship with Kojima? It always reads like a little brother trying to impress his big brother and hang out with him and his friends.

lmao.

Certainly seems like it given Geoff is mad hype for Hideo and Hideo is just "yeah, Geoff. That's great."

If I remember right: No. But MGS won a few rewards but Hideo wasn't there to get them. So I guess Geoff saved them for this year and gave him honorary industry as a fuck you to Konami.

Petrae

The Game Awards sucks.

I watch it every year.

It's awful-- but it provides fodder for Twitter snark, which gives it purpose. Reading along as people eviscerate the show is far better than watching it, and I can check out what trailers interest me at my leisure once it's over.

The "awards" are worthless, and this is worsened by how few are given on camera every year. Few viewers care about the "awards", anyway; they want to see the trailers, and that's really what should be focused on. Make it a "Year in Review" show, scrap the awards and "live" broadcast, edit together an hour of trailers and Keighley-narrated clips about what happened this year or what is coming next year, and call it a day.

Vico

Wait, so if Telltale are there with The Walking Dead, then there aren't that big chances of a Guardians of the Galaxy reveal are there?

They announced both Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones back at the 2013 VGX, so Guardians could still be here.

Cymx0FtUcAArG4y

There's a rumor that Bungie might show some Destiny stuff, but I'm not holding out for anything really. I'm mostly looking forward to Mass Effect and The Legend of Zelda.

I bet Zelda shows off a dungeon.

Simo

Game Informer just tweeted that they'll be revealing January's cover during the live stream. Hmm I can't remember if they'd done a Zelda cover yet so I'd imagine it's that or whatever gets announced tonight.

hydruxo

What? I like Overwatch, but its sound design is shit.

I hope you're kidding. The sound design in Overwatch is incredible. Ult sounds, unique character footsteps, etc. It might not dawn on you every time you play it, but the sounds are extremely important to being aware of whats happening in the match.

Game Informer just tweeted that they'll be revealing January's cover during the live stream. Hmm I can't remember if they'd done a Zelda cover yet so I'd imagine it's that or whatever gets announced tonight.

There was the zelda/God of war pattern cover around e3 right? They could do it anyway thohgh

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hyped for some Mass Effect Andromeda gameplay after nearly 5 years of almost nothing. Hopefully it's shown early so I don't have to wait until tomorrow morning to see the trailer.

tumblr_mcw1al6A5o1qcbq9jo8_r3_500.gif

AdanVC

It's awful-- but it provides fodder for Twitter snark, which gives it purpose. Reading along as people eviscerate the show is far better than watching it, and I can check out what trailers interest me at my leisure once it's over.

The "awards" are worthless, and this is worsened by how few are given on camera every year. Few viewers care about the "awards", anyway; they want to see the trailers, and that's really what should be focused on. Make it a "Year in Review" show, scrap the awards and "live" broadcast, edit together an hour of trailers and Keighley-narrated clips about what happened this year or what is coming next year, and call it a day.

Worthless?? For us perhaps but not for the actual people who win this awards. It's an ultra boost of motivation to developers to keep doing great games and it's nice they receive this kind of stuff in a fancy Oscars-like ceremony.

N° 2048

I hope you're kidding. The sound design in Overwatch is incredible. Ult sounds, unique character footsteps, etc. It might not dawn on you every time you play it, but the sounds are extremely important to being aware of whats happening in the match.

Huh? Overwatch is so average for sound design. Thumper and BF1 destroy it in terms of sound design.

Guns are flat, footsteps are drowned out and things like Pharah's jet pack are incredibly muffled.

Yep.

Alpende

It's way too late for me so I'll catch up afterwards. I don't care about the awards, I just wanna see new trailers and games.

Simo

There was the zelda/God of war pattern cover around e3 right? They could do it anyway thohgh

Yeah but that was a E3 special so no actual Zelda cover story as yet. The tweet did say they'd reveal "a thing or two"...

...so naturally I'm hoping for Red Dead 2 but the chances are slim to none since I'd imagine any RDR2 presence would of been heavily advertised like ME or Zelda. LOL

Top Bottom