• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2019 : All Nominees Revealed

Bizukah

Neo Member
If Rainbow Six isn't best ongoing we riot.

Also is Control really that good? I've seen some videos on it and it looks okay, but didn't think it would be a GOTY contender...

Butz

Banned
If Rainbow Six isn't best ongoing we riot.

Also is Control really that good? I've seen some videos on it and it looks okay, but didn't think it would be a GOTY contender...

Control is alright, starts slow and gets really fun in the middle of the game where you get all your powers and stuff, which also means after that point there is no more progression, gameplay-wise at least, so it gets kinda boring at the end.
It's worth 20-30€ imo, aesthetics are really cool.

Reactions: Isa

xrnzaaas

Control is awesome. It's one of my favorite games of the year. Would probably end up being the favorite one if it wasn't for the tranny looking main character and poor base console performance even after the patches.

nikolino840

I never understood those awards, the obsession nor what do they change in a game. I’m in for the new announcements and other than that can piss off honestly
I think Is about visibility and marketing (adding goty in the ads for example)

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
It's ironic that most gamers decry game journalists for their lack gaming skill and their political bias, but they like to use their verdicts and opinions on games as debate tools on what's good and what isn't.
Days Gone is a very good game, it's not original or exceptional but it’s well made all around and the story, characters and general writing is very good with a lot of great performances by the voice cast.
It's weird that most gaming sites had a hate boner for this game since release, IGN's "Another straight white male" and GameSpot's out right false claims, Waypoint's false reporting by Klepek about selling a girl to a slave camp and other SJW lies.
It's like all of them were in some WhatsApp Group or something. :pie_thinking:

How does the gunplay especially automatics feel?

Really tempted to get this in a BF sale.

Caffeine

ff14 just had its best expansion ever, and a nier raid. The expansions story writer even received a standing ovation during a fan event. rainbow six pissed off a lot of players this year with an update earlier this year.

Petrae

I never understood those awards, the obsession nor what do they change in a game. I’m in for the new announcements and other than that can piss off honestly

The “Awards” are a waste of time, honestly; this is why Dorito Pope gives 95% either off-camera or during the rushed/disorganized “pre-show” bullshit. If he stopped lying to himself in trying to be a legit “awards” show, the program could be retooled to run trailers for new games and maybe some cool interviews with industry people in-between.

As it stands, while Dorito Pope obviously has a modicum of passion for the video game biz, his connections— which range from friendly to obsessive— really kill any kind of legitimacy to “awards” that he decides to hand out... and it’s not possible to buy into the proposition that he has nothing to do with the “awards” process, simply because someone else claims it to be true. Dorito Pope is at the center of the whole thing— he pays for it, he produces it, he hosts it, he does the legwork to get it shown, he takes care of many of the logistics. It’s *his* show, and, at the end of the day, his awards are going to go to whoever he wants them to go to— for his own reasons, which we may or may not be privy to.

• Thoughtful

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am suprised to see Control in so many categories. I thought it was a good game, but pretty average.

I am assuming Reedus will get best performance, but I thought Mads Mikkelsen did a better job in DS.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Have to laugh at the obvious bullshit 10 nominations for ds. But that little bromance between Koji and Geoff is special.

Control was slow at first but I kept at it and its pretty good. Gameplay is a lot of fun, which is weird considering I saw it as another Quantum Break and I hated that game.

Sekiro is fuckin great but goddamn I couldn't finish it. May go back to it tho.

RE 2 remake is well made but imo it being nominated with all these new games only shows what a weak year its been. Not because its so great or original.

I don't understand how Days Gone did not get one honorable mention tho. I went from being interested in it when it was announced to being put off by gameplay and trailers, to being interested again by the time it launched and i fuckin loved it. The gameplay, story, and even most the side missions were enjoyable. Performance wasn't bad enough for it to be an issue either.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Honestly most of us already have our personal GOTY regardless the VGA, the biggest reason we watch these is for game announcements.
This awards are like the rasperry awards. Dont reflex the quality of the game. And the prove of it is Control as GOTY... I mean what a hell??

Arachnid

Personally, I just want Resident Evil 2 to win to really hammer home its return to survival horror. It nailed the RE formula, and I want future games in the series to follow in its footsteps. Game of the Year recognition would go a long way towards that.

Plus, a (survival) horror game winning GOTY would hopefully light a fire under a bunch of devs/publishers collective asses. We need Silent Hill and Dead Space back on the map, and RE2 is poised for just that.

Mista

Banned
Personally, I just want Resident Evil 2 to win to really hammer home its return to survival horror. It nailed the RE formula, and I want future games in the series to follow in its footsteps. Game of the Year recognition would go a long way towards that.

Plus, a (survival) horror game winning GOTY would hopefully light a fire under a bunch of devs/publishers collective asses. We need Silent Hill and Dead Space back on the map, and RE2 is poised for just that.
And if it does, watch them cry babies cry and say "How the hell a fuck REMAKE of an OLD GAME wins the GOTY award" You'll then say Mista said it

GooseMan69

The bolded isn’t terribly far-fetched. Keighley has to make some kind of return on his investment, and publishers are often willing to spend money on exposure. ”The Game Awards” are a bit like 1989’s “The Wizard” in that it’s basically a long infomercial— except we don’t get a cool video game competition or a half-assed plot.

It’s another reason why “The Game Awards” really are not and will never be legitimate in any way. Dumb fun, even cringeworthy... and trailers. Lots of trailers.

Let’s be real, awards shows are a joke across the board, now more than ever.

The irony is, compared to the amount of gameplay Death Stranding offers a lot of games now look like walking simulators with their barebones, stale checklist gamedesign.

What amount of gameplay? I would rather play 5 classic shooters of 10 hour non stop corridor shooting than walk like a fucking cripple for 50 hours.

• LOL

Roni

Gold Member
What amount of gameplay? I would rather play 5 classic shooters of 10 hour non stop corridor shooting than walk like a fucking cripple for 50 hours.

You shoud really play Death Stranding before posting bullshit like this, because everyone who's played it now knows you're talking out of your ass.

Is this an "It becomes better after 20hours" situation??

Oh, yes... But you can fall in love with the game's tutorials too like plenty did. It all depends if shooting is your main thing or not. If you like shooting, then you need to get to the later parts of Death Stranding.

Last edited:
Honestly, I will be shocked if a Japanese game wins a category, let alone receive Goty. Maybe Death Stranding will be the exception, but we’ll see.

For example, I like Doa6, Samurai Shodown and MK11 for their own reasons, but I have a strong feeling MK11 will win. Also, I think DMC5 should win action game and I personally thought the game was great and it had responsive gameplay mechanics like no other.

BOTW won 3 awards (GOTY, direction, action/adventure) in 2017's TGA, with Nier:A winning best OST and Persona 5 winning best RPG. Nioh did lose out to Wolfenstein TNC in the action category though.

Personally these awards don't affect my enjoyment of the games but if they bring about positive benefits for the developers (eg. helping a game sell more, pay rise, promotions) then may the most deserving ones win.

And well, if the game that wins an award gets discounted digitally for the following week then I might have a horse in the race :D

ethomaz

Banned
Fale news again? This game make thes shooting corridor looks like "walking simulators" with the amount of diverse gameplay.

Digity

if control doesnt win best art direction i know this shit is rigged, though its def not a goty contender, but in a good year non of the nominated games would win GOTY

the-chicken-roaster-4.jpg

• LOL

Yoda

Of what's nominated, I'd assume Sekiro would be the favorite to win GOTY, but I've noticed these awards have a bias towards games which have a movie like presentation to them (with a few notable exceptions like Overwatch). So I'd say a three way tie between Control, Sekiro, and Death Stranding for favorite to win.

On the others:
* SSB really hasn't altered its formula in a long time, so I suspect the insiders will punish it for that.
* RE:2 is brilliant, but it's a remake.
* I haven't played Outer Worlds, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Geoff has wanted to make his show "legitimate like the Oscars" for a long time, and he's finally doing it.

Problem is, the Oscars are a total joke and aren't even worth watching anymore.

What Geoff should do now is focus on the reveals, keep things lighthearted, get rid of the entire jury and let the community pick the awards instead.

nikolino840

And What about Sea of thieves not nominee for best ongoing?

Rare made a lot of works in this ip and Is played and watched on Twitch

I don't thinks Is worse then fortnite....

Last edited:
Top Bottom