• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2019 : All Nominees Revealed

Airbus Jr

Banned
Joker win Oscar

Death Stranding win GOTY

Jokerjima rules🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Petrae

What poor lists, must have been a bad year.... 😕

Or money hats....🤬

The bolded isn’t terribly far-fetched. Keighley has to make some kind of return on his investment, and publishers are often willing to spend money on exposure. ”The Game Awards” are a bit like 1989’s “The Wizard” in that it’s basically a long infomercial— except we don’t get a cool video game competition or a half-assed plot.

It’s another reason why “The Game Awards” really are not and will never be legitimate in any way. Dumb fun, even cringeworthy... and trailers. Lots of trailers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I saw videos of Shadow of the Colossus and hated it. I bought and played it, hated it. I don't think I'm a special person when I claim I can judge a game aptly from watching a good hour of gameplay. This whole 'give the developer your 60 bucks and play for yourself' is privileged bs.

If you liked DS, that's fine. But don't dismiss valid criticism.

I couldn't give a toss if you don't buy the game. I'm not trying to sell you on it.

I was merely pointing out that watching a game being played is a piss-poor substitute for actually playing the thing yourself. Which is why stepping up here and expecting your opinion to be treated with equal weight to those of us who have, just makes you come across as an arrogant fool.

Your opinion just isn't worth much. Deal with it.

ethomaz

Banned
Your opinion just isn't worth much. Deal with it.
I think you nailed it.
The opinion of somebody that didn't played the game has zero value imo.

There are some things in the life you need to do it instead to watch others doing it.

Last edited:
I was merely pointing out that watching a game being played is a piss-poor substitute for actually playing the thing yourself.

It works with every other game - DS isn't special.

My opinion is worth as much as anyone's with functioning eyes and ears. The whole 'you have to have played it yourself' falls apart when you read Pokemon reviews that praise the game and don't mention any of the failures that the leak a weak before release revealed.

If you've played enough games, you can judge a game pretty well from only watching video material. Again, that's not me claiming to be special. I'm saying most everyone can.

Dlacy13g

Well I find it pretty funny that Geoff's buddy made the list and yet Gears 5 was left off the list for GOTY even though its Metacritic is higher...and yes I know Metacritic is not the barometer for the awards but it feels odd that a game with a higher Metacritic was left off the list for a game that scored lower and Geoff is closely tied to.... credibility kinda goes out the window this year on the awards show nominee list and I am guessing likely winner if you ask me.

Last edited:

vpance

My opinion is worth as much as anyone's with functioning eyes and ears. The whole 'you have to have played it yourself' falls apart when you read Pokemon reviews that praise the game and don't mention any of the failures that the leak a weak before release revealed.

If you've played enough games, you can judge a game pretty well from only watching video material. Again, that's not me claiming to be special. I'm saying most everyone can.

You hated one of the most widely regarded top games to be made in the last 20 years, if not of all time. Your criticism isn't likely to be of much value to the average person.

All this talk of how great Death Stranding is, punctuated by chatter about how bad it is, has me more intrigued by the game than anything from its marketing phase. I'm gonna pick it up and see for myself. I'm definitely interested in the notion of an uber-atmospheric "walking game" if it's done right and I do love some of Kojima's ridiculous storytelling.

Bkdk

Control and death stranding belong to most disappointing, definitely not GOTY. This year is pretty bad overall, will be second weakest goty other than 2012. Also what is games for impact? Crazy league isn’t even nominated for best ongoing. League and fortnite is by far the top 2 in this option.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
At very least I wish Astral Chain was nominated for best score, that game had phenomenal OST.

SS501

Neo Member
People saying Outer Worlds is better than KH3 are insane. Graphics, combat, music, cutscene direction, level design, art direction, KH3 is superior in all of this and had significantly more effort put into it overall as a game.
It's so sad that people hate KH3 so much for no goddamn reason other than "story is bad lol".

Last edited:

imsosleepy

Greg miller said that the outlets had.to submit their favorites befote jedi fallen order released. If they had review codes 2 weeks.before release it would have been nominated but it was to.late

ethomaz

Banned

Keep telling yourself that maybe you will believe it lol

Last edited:

Shrap

Sekiro and Death Stranding are both excellent and deserving of GOTY in my opinion. Control? Eh, it was good but not GOTY worthy. I have yet to play RE2 remake but I'm sure it will be up there if not my favourite game of the year. Didn't smash come out last year? I've still got to play The Outer Worlds too. Looking forward to it.

I know Mads will get best performance but the amount of work Norman Reedus put in for his role is insane. I'd personally pick him for how much dedication he put into it and how real he came across in game.

Neolombax

That is a lot of nomination for Death Stranding. Was kind of hoping Fallen Order would be on the list. Its the most fun I've had in a 2019 game so far. Also, Apex Legends being nominated for Best Ongoing Game? DIdn't it release this year? I'd put a "at least 1 year on-going" prerequisite for such a category. For Honor or Starwars Battlefront would suit that position better, maybe.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would say it was damn pretty good year especially if you own Switch.

For me games like Astral Chain, Fire Emblem 3Houses and Luigi’s Mansion 3 are my highlights for this year.

Currently both Astral Chain and Sekiro very close tied as my personal GOTY and Fire Emblem Three House and Luigi’s Mansion 3 are also tied as runner up.

imsosleepy

Well I find it pretty funny that Geoff's buddy made the list and yet Gears 5 was left off the list for GOTY even though its Metacritic is higher...and yes I know Metacritic is not the barometer for the awards but it feels odd that a game with a higher Metacritic was left off the list for a game that scored lower and Geoff is closely tied to.... credibility kinda goes out the window this year on the awards show nominee list and I am guessing likely winner if you ask me.
Geof has zero input in this. Its the big news outlets that submit a list. And apparently gears 5 was not that much in their mind.

imsosleepy

All this talk of how great Death Stranding is, punctuated by chatter about how bad it is, has me more intrigued by the game than anything from its marketing phase. I'm gonna pick it up and see for myself. I'm definitely interested in the notion of an uber-atmospheric "walking game" if it's done right and I do love some of Kojima's ridiculous storytelling.
Please leave ur thoughts in the ot as u play along!
Yea its the first time I cant find myself side with the negative reviews of critics. Death stranding js special.but not for everyone. But the devideness of this one is insane indeed!

Xyort

Neo Member
This year was pretty underwhelming tbh. My money's on Death Stranding, even though Sekiro probably deserves it more.

Teslerum

It’s another reason why “The Game Awards” really are not and will never be legitimate in any way. Dumb fun, even cringeworthy... and trailers. Lots of trailers.

Eh.

The worst part is how they pretend to be legitimate and serious, but do cringeworthy shit every second. I mean awards shows in general have been going downhill for a while with stupid bullshit, but even at their lowest Kneighly hasn't managed to reach their quality.

X019, while featuring a worse lineup, was what I'd describe as *dumb fun*. It knew exactly what it was and was full of energy. That's miles above the cringy borefest that are the game awards.

Geoff isn't making these list. He is only host and producer.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
I saw videos of Shadow of the Colossus and hated it. I bought and played it, hated it. I don't think I'm a special person when I claim I can judge a game aptly from watching a good hour of gameplay. This whole 'give the developer your 60 bucks and play for yourself' is privileged bs.

If you liked DS, that's fine. But don't dismiss valid criticism.

It's just not valid critisim.
Saying "I saw videos and don't want to play it", that's a valid opinion.
Saying "I saw videos, won't play it but know thanks to some reviews it's bad", that's not critisism. That's just quoting selected reviews.
You don't have to buy the game and play it in order to talk about DS. But you can't compete with people who actually played the game in a normald discussion.

Where is Days Gone? The Game Awards is making a down year look worse with their omissions.

I think Sekiro will take it just because of how it would look if Death Stranding won.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Having Death Stranding nominated in some many categories in a show produced by someone who is in the game is quite questionable.

I'll try a pronostic for the GOTY despite having played only Sekiro (and doesn't deserve it, I am even surprised it's nominated actually) :
Resident Evil 2, even if I think it's almost certain to be Death Stranding (which it's probably deserving, I can't wait to play it next year)

GymWolf

Dorito boy is gonna let Ds wins most of these category...

Some nomination are kinda bullshit.

I personally root for control and sekiro.

Re2 was a good remake but is not even better than the original game for me (or a better remake than rebirth)

Last edited:

GymWolf

I have a feeling GOTY will be given to Death Stranding even though I don't think it deserves it. Control looks like garbage. All of my friends on PSN are playing Borderlands 3. I'm surprised that isn't being nominated for GOTY. Also, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order looks great from what I've seen of it, but it's not being nominated for anything

In what bizarro world does control looks like garbage??

Best Ripoff Gimmicky Shit Product of the Year:

A: Stadia
B: Death Stranding

And the winner is DEATH STRANDING!

Edit: /s, I actually like The Game Awards, I think it's a fun show to watch. A bit more variety on nominations would have been nice though.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So many good games that have released this year that aren’t on that list... I would put Fallen Order on there as well.

Such an awful list.., But I already know who will win, I knew before I even opened the thread and saw the list...

Bit of a shit situation to be in really, because DS will win, even though it shouldn’t, because it’s shit. THATS WHAT I THINK, DEAL. But it won’t win bawd on if it’s good or not, but because Geoff has a boner for Kojima and is even in the damn game... Any other medium and it would disqualify it from entry. This is like how Famitsu gave it massive marks... Well no shot you’re all in the game.

There’s been plenty of good, better even, releases, on all the platforms, that deserve to win.

Terenty

Death Stranding eliciting such a major hateboner in some people is a truly fascinating phenomenon

I wonder if there's a scientific explanation to that

Last edited:
Top Bottom