• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2019 : All Nominees Revealed

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Death Stranding, Sekiro, RE2, Metro Exodus.
Not played Days Gone just yet

Sekiro got too cocky with it's difficulty at the end there but Control I had problem to finish because it got so boring. Metro have some weird hidden choices which did not liked. Death Stranding is art, graphics, music, fellowship with other players building the road

Last edited:
Yeah....that's definitely The Game Awards nominations alright.......

Controls not bad but Fire Emblem got robbed pretty hardcore. Others are expected.
Also wow at Jump Force being in Best Fighting Game nominations, even as a spot filler....... I know Kill la Kill If probably made the judges twitter fingers bleed from anger, but power Rangers still exists for spot filler.

Anybody saying Sekiro will win is literally out of the fucking loop. That game is not mainstream enough there's no way it'll win the vote

DansDans

It feels like someone made a list of 10 random (but not really) games, and then made a series of category headings, and randomly assigned 5 of the 10 games to each heading...

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing A Plague Tale in there is good, not seeing Greedfall in there is bad. Very, very bad.

spawn

Disagree. I would put ds as goty, game of this gen and possibly my game of all time. No game has ever evoked experience s like this. But to each his own. It does something new and that needs to be recognised in this AAA safety net era of gaming.
Can you tell us exactly how Death Stranding is so good that you have this experience? From what I've seen on Twitch streams I'm not getting it

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm not a big fan of Control or Death Stranding at all. I'm hurt to see that Jedi: Fallen Order wasn't nominated at all. It and RE2 are my favorite picks this year.
Along with Vader Immortal VR.

Last edited:
Death Stranding going to go in there like a prim and proper Maid and clean that bitch out. I want to see the crying and bitching, then feed off the energy, while nude and inside of a volcano.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Actually, one of the most outstanding features of DS is that its a real technical showpiece. It looks stunning, runs remarkably well, and in my experience of 50hrs play virtually bug-free.

Say what you want about Kojima as a director/designer, but you simply cannot dispute that the man really sets a ridiculously high-bar for sheer production quality. Considering the time-scale it was produced under, DS is miraculously polished.

Petrae

Noted industry shill makes difficult-to-prove claims about the show’s producer, primary source of funding, and also industry shill. Strong sense of DOUBT here.

I’m sorry, but if Dorito Pope wants Death Stranding to win “awards”, it’s going to win awards. We would have no evidence, aside from potential “he said/she said” claims, that anything weird went on.

Dorito Pope’s (admittedly creepy) obsessive relationship with Kojima makes even any nomination for awards sketchy. Dude is actually in the game in question, presenting an obvious conflict of interest and lack of credibility for the “awards”. If the game wins, it looks bad. If it loses, it looks bad. There’s no way to win in this scenario, and it’s all Keighley’s fault. At the very least, he could have been more discreet with his relationship with Kojima-- and he also could have refused the guest-starring role which presents the more problem.

I guess, if we look at “The Game Awards” as a joke-- which isn’t a terrible idea— then credibility for awards really doesn’t matter. But Keighley wants his baby to be legit, and it can never be with stuff like this.

shoegaze

Control needs to win something. Seriously. I wish more people would play it, it's been my favorite game of the last few years to be quite honest (probably tied with Bloodborne for me, and more recently Sekiro).
Hmm, maybe should give it a try then. Bloodborne is my GOTG and Sekiro definitely top5.

And oh what a surprise Death Stranding's going to win GOTY. Never saw it coming, not from Dorito Pope. Not from a mile away.

Fake

Hmm, maybe should give it a try then. Bloodborne is my GOTG and Sekiro definitely top5.

And oh what a surprise Death Stranding's going to win GOTY. Never saw it coming, not from Dorito Pope. Not from a mile away.
IMO neither Sekiro and DS will won. DS is an amazing game, but I don't even vote him for goty. I know DS is not for everyone. Sekiro is my pick, but again some people make that controverse about 'put an easy mode'.

So if I could guess Smash will get.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I'm sorry but death stranding ain't going to win it. It's too polarising even withing the industry.

Ye guys are always terrible at predicting this, always going for the more recent game.

I would say Resident Evil 2 has it in the bag or a close second Sekiro.

I hope Sekiro takes it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I feel like this really underscores what a weak year it's been for games. There's been some good ones this year, but nothing truly amazing. At least for me.
Definitely end of the generation with projects being retooled for next generation. This has been a ugly year outside a handful of games. ND will lead it off with style next year thankfully.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
"Give Kojima 60 bucks before criticizing his game!!1"

You sound like Pokemon-fans 💁🐧

And cherry-picking reviews that line-up with your bias, whilst disregarding those at odds with it shows a worse than ignorant attitude. You don't want any sort of objective truth, just validation for your prejudice.

And cherry-picking reviews that line-up with your bias, whilst disregarding those at odds with it shows a worse than ignorant attitude. You don't want any sort of objective truth, just validation for your prejudice.

I don't care about reviews, I watch videos that show the game and form an opinion. Are you implying the IGN Video review is fake?

Just a reminder:

Process
The Game Awards has an advisory committee which includes representatives from hardware manufacturers Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and AMD, and software publishers Electronic Arts, Activision, Rockstar Games, Ubisoft, Valve, and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. This committee selects around thirty influential video game news organizations that will be able to nominate and subsequently vote on the video games in several categories. The advisory committee otherwise does not participate in the nomination or voting process. During the nomination round, each of the news outlets provides a list of games in several categories; games for the esports-related categories are chosen by a specific subset of these outlets. The committee compiles the nominations and selects the most-nominated titles for voting by these same outlets.[15] Prior to 2017, there were 28 industry experts and representatives that selected the winners, while the awards from 2017 onwards have used over 50 such experts.[16]

Jtibh

Banned
I am sure geoff is the bottom in this relationship and death stranding will win all awards.

Fantastic game by the way.
My game of the year goes to re2 or days gone.

Last edited:

Ribi

Not only is death stranding not deserving of GOTY but how the fuck was wreckfest not nominated in the racing category???

Death Stranding is the best movie of the year. And I say that only watching half of DS story on YouTube so far, only 6 more hours to go!

Movie of the year: Death Stranding (produced, written, and directed by Hideo Kojima)

Game of the year: Death Stranding (produced, written, and directed by Hideo Kojima)

Father of the year: Death Stranding (produced, written, and directed by Hideo Kojima)

Year of the year: Death Stranding (produced, written, and directed by Hideo Kojima)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Can you tell us exactly how Death Stranding is so good that you have this experience? From what I've seen on Twitch streams I'm not getting it
To just need to play it ;)

I don't care about reviews, I watch videos that show the game and form an opinion. Are you implying the IGN Video review is fake?
The IGN's review has a lot of fake info... so yes.

BTW no video I watched can show what make Death Stranding a masterpiece and the game is different from the review time so these videos are useless too.

But hey watching and not playing is just found a deservice to you... not me or the game lol

Last edited:

spawn

Why is it that all the detractors of Death Stranding are people who haven't played it?

Go play the game before shitposting how it doesn't deserve to be a goty
Why pay $60 if the game doesn't look all that interesting? There are way more games out there worth the time and money

GreyHorace

Seems like the awards are designed to give Hideo Kojima maximum satisfaction.

In which case, I hope Sekiro wins it and steals his thunder.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, I'd vote for KH3, Death Stranding and Control. I like those 3 games.

Too bad DQB2 isn't there.

To just need to play it ;)

The IGN's review has a lot of fake info... so yes.

BTW no video I watched can show what make Death Stranding a masterpiece and the game is different from the review time so these videos are useless too.

But hey watching and not playing is just found a deservice to you... not me or the game lol

Gift me the game and I'll play it /rolleyes

I'm gaming for over 25 years now. No idea how you do it, but I can generally judge if a game is worth playing after having watched 1+ hour of gameplay. From the bottom of my heart: I do not want to play DS because it looks bad, unfun. I quit playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey after 3 hours because it sucked so badly. DS looks worse.

So no, I have zero desire to play a game I'm 99% sure I won't enjoy. And let's be real: If I played it and returned here and said 'yeah, it sucks, just as expected', you would dismiss it as 'that's just like your opinion, dude'.

DS isn't a good game and the game awards are a joke. The gaming press as a whole is, and that was cemented when Pokemon got 9/10 reviews, ignoring all the glaring issues, some even saying 'the best Pokemon ever' which is factually untrue. Fuck this industry. I'm gonna play Xenosaga.

ethomaz

Banned
Gift me the game and I'll play it /rolleyes

I'm gaming for over 25 years now. No idea how you do it, but I can generally judge if a game is worth playing after having watched 1+ hour of gameplay. From the bottom of my heart: I do not want to play DS because it looks bad, unfun. I quit playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey after 3 hours because it sucked so badly. DS looks worse.

So no, I have zero desire to play a game I'm 99% sure I won't enjoy. And let's be real: If I played it and returned here and said 'yeah, it sucks, just as expected', you would dismiss it as 'that's just like your opinion, dude'.

DS isn't a good game and the game awards are a joke. The gaming press as a whole is, and that was cemented when Pokemon got 9/10 reviews, ignoring all the glaring issues, some even saying 'the best Pokemon ever' which is factually untrue. Fuck this industry. I'm gonna play Xenosaga.
I never watch videos before play the game... I game since 1990... so near 30 years already.

This game can't be described by watching streaming.... you playing it is a complete different experience that no stream will ever give you.

It is imo one of the best and most fun experience I ever had with games in my life... it is the best Kojima game ever created.

But hey you can rent it and buy after (you will sure buy).

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Unless you are some sort of mental jellyfish that revises their experience of enjoying something if they subsequently read a review expressing a view to the contrary, you'll understand why IGN's video is utterly irrelevant to my opinion of the game.

Its truthfulness or not is immaterial, when I have better evidence to override it. Which should explain succinctly why playing something is infinitely more enlightening than watching excerpts of it being played while a stranger talks about it.

Last edited:
Really loved Control and Death Stranding! Either of those 3 winning would be fine for me. RE2 was also amazing. But don't think it should win GOTY. It would be my #3 this year for sure though!

Sekiro was not for me. And I say that as a huge Souls fan. This is the only one I have dropped after about 20hrs. And I don't think I will go back to it.

Unless you are some sort of mental jellyfish that revises their experience of enjoying something if they subsequently read a review expressing a view to the contrary, you'll understand why IGN's video is utterly irrelevant to my opinion of the game.

Its truthfulness or not is immaterial, when I have better evidence to override it. Which should explain succinctly why playing something is infinitely more enlightening than watching excerpts of it being played while a stranger talks about it.

I saw videos of Shadow of the Colossus and hated it. I bought and played it, hated it. I don't think I'm a special person when I claim I can judge a game aptly from watching a good hour of gameplay. This whole 'give the developer your 60 bucks and play for yourself' is privileged bs.

If you liked DS, that's fine. But don't dismiss valid criticism.

Top Bottom