• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2019 : All Nominees Revealed

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I would have thought Elder Scrolls Online or Warframe would be at least nominated for Ongoing game. Stupid Fortnite! Guess they didn't pay Geoff enough!

imsosleepy

Number of "User scores" on meta surely will go up on metacritic for Death Stranding because GOTY nomination. Particularly a negative ones, like 0 or 1. Already over 13k, 2k more than for GOW.
gamers are weird, at one moment they applaud and respect any big triple a game that has no microtransactions and aint buggy and unfinished like fallout. But on the other moment.. They dont mind shitting on a full triple A game that tries something new that hardly has bugs, is finished, has no microtransactions and is a really long single player adventure lol

Fbh

Judgement, as usual for the Yakuza franchise, getting snubbed in the story and performance category.

looking forward to seeing Sekiro win GOTY

In an awards show voted by many members from the same media that was salty as fuck about the lack of an easy mode? No way

Last edited:

Corpsepyre

Banned
The main lead in Control being nominated for Best Performance is laughable. Her performance was incredibly wooden throughout, and the writing didn't do much with her either.

Also, I'd pick Troy over Norman for Death Stranding.

kunonabi

Didn't Ultimate come out last year? Didn't they debut the Joker trailer there?

I didn't play much of this year's releases so I can really only root for Death Stranding, Samurai Shodown, and Resident Evil 2.

So it became the Oscars after all.

Seriously... 8 nominations for Control??

Kojima a lock for GotY obviously, thank you Doritos Pope, I was worried there for a second...

Caffeine

ez
Game of the Year
Death Stranding(Kojima Productions/SIE)

Best Game Direction
Death Stranding (Kojima Productions/SIE)

Best Narrative

Best Art Direction

Best Score/Music

Best Audio Design
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Infinity Ward/Activision)

Best Performance
Norman Reedus as Sam Porter Bridges, Death Stranding

Games for Impact
Gris(Nomada Studio/Devolver)

Best Ongoing Game
Final Fantasy XIV (Square Enix)

Best Action Game
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare(Infinity Ward/Activision)

Best Action/Adventure Game

Best RPG
Final Fantasy XIV(Square Enix)

Best Fighting Game
Mortal Kombat 11(NetherRealm/WBIE)

Best Family Game
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate(Bandai Namco/Sora/Nintendo)

Best Strategy Game
Wargroove (Chucklefish)

Best Sports/Racing Game
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled(Beenox/Activision)

Best Multiplayer Game
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare(Infinity Ward/Activision)

JangoRain

Outer Worlds should not be in any of the categories. It does nothing exciting or great. It's just a safe experience and people praise it only because Obsidian. I dont even want to get started about DS but its Geof's show and he surely sucks Kojima's dick so whatever. I'll watch for the reveals.
Plus it runs like garbage on base console. It was pretty rough on my OneS, but still fun

Petrae

There’s no way that the game the Dorito Pope’s mancrush helmed doesn’t win all of the “awards”.

Even if it didn’t, seeing essentially the same 6 games nominated for every category makes the “awards” generally uninteresting and shows a lack of overall quality in 2019. In a strong year, you see many more different games occupying the different categories. This was a weak year.

As always, the only reason to watch this show is for the cringe factor, which is all but guaranteed to be high this year given Kojima’s appearance. This program hasn’t ever really had any credibility; it’s an “awards” show with few “awards” given on camera, and with such weird/limited categories that the “awards” can’t possibly be taken seriously.

Yeah, yeah. Dorito Pope sinks his own money into the production and it can be argued that he’s got at least some passion for games... but passion doesn’t equal credibility.

Well, Control aside (and that's debatable) everything but DS is a rehash.

Given the opposition DS deserves to walk it in most of its categories just on principle. We're at the end of a generation so innovation ought to count heavily.

Sekiro is a rehash?

Is Devil May Cry so bad? Even Control is there.
No it's fantastic, but TGA is aimed at (for lack of a better term) "Normies" who can't get into or appreciate the complexity of DMC and It's too "anime", too niche.
Control I've not played but it doesn't strike me as GOTY, not with Ms.Bogdanoff in it.
Death Stranding is too divisive but hey Keighley and Kojima are friends so it gotta be there and it has celebrities so it's gonna get some more mainstream eyes on the show.
Seikiro was reviewed well but SJW made it's diffculty into a controversy about disability rights.
TGAs was and will always be a joke.
2019 was a good year for gaming, but it blew most of it's load in the 1st 3 months and most people in this day and age have short attention spans.
P. S Out of that pitiful list Resident Evil 2 remake is the best IMO.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No it's fantastic, but TGA is aimed at (for lack of a better term) "Normies" who can't get into or appreciate the complexity of DMC and It's too "anime", too niche.
Control I've not played but it doesn't strike me as GOTY, not with Ms.Bogdanoff in it.
Death Stranding is too divisive but hey Keighley and Kojima are friends so it gotta be there and it has celebrities so it's gonna get some more mainstream eyes on the show.
Seikiro was reviewed well but SJW made it's diffculty into a controversy about disability rights.
TGAs was and will always be a joke.
2019 was a good year for gaming, but it blew most of it's load in the 1st 3 months and most people in this day and age have short attention spans.
P. S Out of that pitiful list Resident Evil 2 remake is the best IMO.
So basically VGA mostly popularity contest....

tenor.gif

Virex

Banned
Seeing The Outer Worlds nominated for best narrative is just laughable. It was written by 3 women with daddy issues that has never met anyone outside of their circlejerk. With Leonard Boyarsky probably just "approved" any shit they brought before him in fear of being called sexist or whatever the fuck is the flavour of the week. And nominated for "best rpgs" as well. That's even more laughable. Game awards is a fucking joke.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Glad to see A Plague Tale: Innocence, Gris & Disco Elysium get nods, though I fear that they will get pushed out by bigger titles.

Dibils2k

Days Gone got robbed.

Easily most fun I've had all year, great writing and performances too.

Irrespective of what state the game was in at launch, Bend worked diligently squashing bugs, adding features, modes, and content post release to the extent that it is a unarguably way better now than it was. Most importantly all was added at no extra charge to the player.

If we had a gaming press with any sort of fucking class or integrity, they'd reward this. But we don't and what is deservedly a GOTY candidate, gets roundly ignored.
its a genetic open world game...

mejin

Didn't Ultimate come out last year? Didn't they debut the Joker trailer there?

I didn't play much of this year's releases so I can really only root for Death Stranding, Samurai Shodown, and Resident Evil 2.

yep, december 7. Nintendo didn't make anything worthy of GotY this year.

On the other hand, MS finally launched a good contender with Gears 5, but everyone forgot about it.

I'll do MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima 's list:

Game of the Year

• Death Stranding(Kojima Productions/SIE)

Best Game Direction

• Death Stranding (Kojima Productions/SIE)

Best Narrative

Best Art Direction

Best Score/Music

Best Audio Design

Best Performance

• Mads Mikkelsen as Cliff, Death Stranding
  • Norman Reedus as Sam Porter Bridges, Death Stranding

Games for Impact

Best Ongoing Game

Best Action Game

Best Action/Adventure Game

Best RPG

Best Fighting Game

Best Family Game

Best Strategy Game

Best Sports/Racing Game

Best Multiplayer Game

Bodatan

Banned
yep, december 7. Nintendo didn't make anything worthy of GotY this year.

On the other hand, MS finally launched a good contender with Gears 5, but everyone forgot about it.
MM2, Astral Chain, Links Awakening, LM3, and FE3H rated higher than Control, DS, and OW.

The most logical reason why those games nominated.

Control -feminist crap by remedy
OT-written by women with the same feminist crap
DS-no explanation needed

Pejo

Best RPG - Monster Hunter? Wtf...

Also, why is Control in so many categories? Didn't that game bomb?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The difference between Action, Action/Adventure, and RPG has me utterly confused.
It gets harder to tell the difference each year. They list some titles and its like "wtf, is that seriously considered an action game?". I think its because they don't necessarily tie in a "shooter" category or sub genres.

I feel like there's a difference between early 2019 and late 2019. I could have decided GOTY back in March and now in November I'm thrown a huge curve ball.

I did not vote for a single esport or commentator. Its the first time I've even heard of these people let alone give them my vote. Its like viewing footage from another world.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
its a genetic open world game...

Its core foraging and combat loop is extremely well put together, so even though its not exactly original its consistently enjoyable to play. Its actually very reminiscent of MGSV in many ways. The use of the bike as a mobile base, particularly in regard to combat against hordes is where it differentiates itself.

The story while again fairly boilerplate in outline, distinguishes itself through good characterization and unusually naturalistic dialogue. For me, its up there with ND's best work in that regard.

On the whole its agreeably old-school in its outlook. Deke is basically Mad Max, a classic 80's-style loner anti-hero who begrudgingly re-humanizes himself over the course of the story as he is drawn into other survivors' problems. Which is more than sufficient when the piece as a whole has no pretensions of being more than a good action saga.

I guess if you demand political statements in your gaming entertainment that's a weakness, but in 2019 it felt like a much needed breath of fresh air to me.

Top Bottom