• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTA: Vice City R/C Helicopter Mission...Worst Ever?

Is this the worst mission of any game from the past 20 years? I nearly put my fist through a wall completing it and nearly quit the game entirely...

Is this the worst or was there another certain mission that makes your blood boil just thinking about it?

Bob White

tumblr_lxt7wz0rNK1r9zabzo1_400.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's only stupid hard on the PS2 version IIRC, but it is quite hellish. Atleast it was optional. Err, the San Andreas one anyway.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Academia 400AF in Final Fantasy XIII-2.

I've resisted the urge to replay the game like three times because I just don't want to experience that part again.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yes. It's the one mission in all of gaming that makes me rage every single time someone reminds me of it.

Fuck you Rockstar.

rouken

san andreas rc missions are far worse. at least in vice city you get to do it on one mission only if i remember correctly

It took me an hour or so, but not that bad with a PC gamepad.
I'm replaying Vice City on my phone with a MOGA ATM. Certainly not looking forward to how that's gonna go.

I'd say I hate the SA RC missions more, if only because they went out of their way to make an actual follow up to a terrible idea.

dreamfall

how's it on iOS :D

NIGHTMARES, even thinking about it! Gah! *shudder*

I just beat it last month for the third time in my life on PC. It was pretty infuriating- took about six tries, and even then it felt like I got lucky chasing down one of those bikers.

Happy to have done it again though! Everything felt extremely clumsy!

def sim

I usually get it in 2 or 3 goes.

Try doing it with a keyboard and mouse for ultimate gaming hell.

Yeah, I'm going through Vice City on PC right now and it's clear this game was not made with KB/M in mind at all. Also, VC isn't as great as I remember. Very shallow game with a great soundtrack.

I remember not liking this mission but I didnt flat hate it. I think I actually hated the mission in vice city were you had to control a RC helicopter that was equipped with explosives more.

LQX

That mission is why I stopped playing it for PS2 then I finally gave it another shot once the PC version was released. Still my favorite GTA in spite of that mission.

san andreas rc missions are far worse. at least in vice city you get to do it on one mission only if i remember correctly

Vice city was worse. At least with the San Andreas missions they put you up high so you could learn in the air.

Vice City's RC mission was hell on Earth. And the plane mission when you're dropping flyers was somehow worse.

Bear

The Erol race in Jak 2 is one of the most infuriating missions I've ever come across. You have to beat it to progress, so I just gave up on the game after wasting several sittings on a shitty racer with cheap AI.

Years later, I picked up where I left off and eventually beat it, but it was probably the worst of the game's notorious difficulty spikes.

The last episode of Resident Evil: Revelations almost made me quit
basically a teleporting tyrant who creates ghosts to distract you
I didn't have any magnum bullets or rockets left. I only managed to defeat it after dying several times and just remembered where it would show up.

I've always found the flying missions in GTA games really fun. I beat Supply Lines, the RC plane mission in San Andreas, on my first try, on the PS2 version (I heard they lowered the difficulty in the Xbox and PC ports). I always had trouble with random missions that everyone else breezed through and forgot about, though. There's one in SA called Interdiction that I struggled with for days; you just had to wait at a drop zone protecting a helicopter by shooting enemies down, and I must have failed it a dozen times.

Zertez

Not sure if I was lucky, but the rc mission in SA only took a couple of tries. The boat racing through the cannels missions in VC took me hours and I quit playing VC for a few weeks because of that mission.

Kabouter

Had no problems with the RC missions in any GTA game tbh, I don't know what people are doing that gives them such problems.

The Vice City mission where you have to recruit a getaway driver was way worse for me. The plane thing felt like it was doable if I sucked less, while the driving one felt impossible without cheating.

That is where I stopped playing vice city on PC but it was mostly due to my laptop not having enough keys. Or that's what I thought was the reason, my god, such crap.

I don't remember either of the missions mentioned, so I assume they weren't incredibly difficult for me. The one that did piss me the fuck off was the one in San Andreas where you have to chase the train and shoot all the people off before the train gets away.

That mission infuriated me. "All you had to do was catch the damn train, CJ!"

Maaaan, fuck you.

adelante

There's gotta be some serious handholding for that to be possible.
Nope no assists as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the radius to drop each bomb is more forgiving so u dont need to be super precise (can't recall how it was on the PS2) but I had no problem flying my copter thru the levels in that building. Especially after u've tried that mission at least once to know exactly where the bombs needed to go (I started with the top and made my way down)

The Vice City mission where you have to recruit a getaway driver was way worse for me. The plane thing felt like it was doable if I sucked less, while the driving one felt impossible without cheating.

what made this mission worse was that shooting out his tyres didn't appear to impact his handling of the vehicle. he was still as fast and as good as without having his tyres shot out. very annoying.

Feature

Banned
The one from vice city where you had to drop bombs somewhere and the one from san andreas with the RC plane were the only missions over all the GTAs that made me rage.

Card Boy

Banned
At least Vice City / San Andreas had variety in it's missions, GTA4 and LatD had none. Gay Tony brought back the variety.

For me, the last mission in GTAIV is the absolutely worst I have played. I'm pretty sure that that Rockstar just threw together some shit without playtesting it with the mindset that almost none would reach that mission.

I remember Tim Schafer's tweets when he was trying to beat it. After numerous attempts he just tweeted: "Videogames are stupid and should never be made".

Yep I had to park up a sports car round the corner and jump in as well.

CassSept

Never got far enough in SA, the game bored me out of my mind, but I remember the one in VC made me rage, big time.

Don't know about PS2 version, but it was impossible to control on keyboard.

Top Bottom