• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Zalusithix

Im paying to heat the area as it is just now and its included in my rent. I don't expect it to make a fortune but i can certainly see it being a marginally profitable use of the space as opposed to the money sink it is just now.

Just a fair warning... Think about the liability aspect. Unless you're going to babysit every person, there's the chance they can trip/fall and injure themselves, or do any number of other things they might sue for. I'm not sure what the laws are like where you are, but around here, the business would be liable. Could potentially have them sign a waiver, but I have no idea how well it'd actually hold up in court.

There are some comments in there that aren't questions that the leaker is reacting to. I was getting confused a bit as well but as long as you remember that everything in bold is not the leak you should be fine.

I was getting really confused by this, thinking I had read all of it wrong, but then I realized that the OP had edited the post since I first read it.

But tons of great info in there, and it seems to give a really nuanced (and realistic) image of the whole situation.
A: I'll download something compiled against 0.7 and will edit this post with my result. Edit: It looks like that feature got removed from one of the later releases. 1.3B doesn't work at all with 0.6 or 0.7 software and 1.0 only works with some. It seems random which work and which don't, even on the same
I hope they get the 0.6/0.7 compatibility sorted though. It would be fun to go back to earlier demos and proof of concepts from the DK2 days for people who didn't have one at the time (also, that is what American/Euro Truck Sim is supporting as of now).

Tadie

You don't need to, that's why the lighthouses have feet. I've set one of the Dk1s at about 5ft and it works perfectly. There are things people need to be aware of though.

Generally the best possible setup is higher than your height and angled down - allowing the lowest possible occlusion and the largest possible play area between the distance of the lighthouses.

Go lower than your height and you have slight increased chance of occlusion due to your body. I've set a DK1 up at 5ft and it still works perfectly despite every attempt to make the tracking fail. If you don't have a downward angle, the housing of the lighthouses is preventing downward line of sight, so the possible play area between the lighthouses is reduced in size. This is height contingent (the higher, the smaller the play area).

Low or even on the floor works if angled upward, but you have significantly increased chance of occlusion by your body getting in the way or entirely blocking a lighthouse if you go close enough. So the only way to play is with a significantly reduced play area.

That is pretty interesting, thank you!

So I could put the lasers on my floor-standing speakers? I think they are 1,3 m height.

Zalusithix

That is pretty interesting, thank you!

So I could put the lasers on my floor-standing speakers? I think they are 1,3 m height.
Do they have powered subs in them? If so, are the speakers spiked to the ground if on carpet? Any vibration / angle changes imparted to the lighthouses should be detected as subtle movement of the headset/controllers. They'll probably be off while using the Vive, but it doesn't hurt to confirm these things.

But yes, you could use them for seated play. Standing play would require you be a certain distance away from the speakers. About a half meter to cover the height needed, or about three quarters of a meter to get coverage down to the ground. Keep in mind that you'll need them at opposing corners for full 360 coverage.

Edit: Might actually need more space for the downward direction. The lighthouses will need to be at around a 45 degree toe in vs the speaker, which means the corner of the speaker will occlude some of the laser cast.

UnrealEck

I phoned Currys/PC World and the guy said they don't know when they'll be available for sale.
I think the only way to get a Vive by April is if you pre-ordered through the HTC site.

I hope but pretty much doubt Oculus will send units out early for foreign countries.

Regardless I am watching for Rift shipping news like a hawk right now. I am labeled as 4:06 UTC (Preorder time) on their sever.

Tadie

Do they have powered subs in them? If so, are the speakers spiked to the ground if on carpet? Any vibration / angle changes imparted to the lighthouses should be detected as subtle movement of the headset/controllers. They'll probably be off while using the Vive, but it doesn't hurt to confirm these things.

But yes, you could use them for seated play. Standing play would require you be a certain distance away from the speakers. About a half meter to cover the height needed, or about three quarters of a meter to get coverage down to the ground. Keep in mind that you'll need them at opposing corners for full 360 coverage.

Edit: Might actually need more space for the downward direction. The lighthouses will need to be at around a 45 degree toe in vs the speaker, which means the corner of the speaker will occlude some of the laser cast.

Mhh no, they are just speakers.

I have some older images of my gaming room:

mobile.21upt3.jpg

mobile.1y2k98.jpg

mobile.3qnp1q.jpg

I would eliminate the coffee table....

Impulsor

I hope but pretty much doubt Oculus will send units out early for foreign countries.

Regardless I am watching for Rift shipping news like a hawk right now. I am labeled as 4:06 UTC (Preorder time) on their sever.

I'm 4:08 pm UTC.

I saw MArch as an estiamte when finished preordering. I hope it's true.

Zalusithix

Mhh no, they are just speakers.

I have some older images of my gaming room:

mobile.21upt3.jpg

mobile.1y2k98.jpg

mobile.3qnp1q.jpg

I would eliminate the coffee table....

Assuming there's a complimentary pair in the rear of the room, you should be able to do both seated and standing fine. Room scale might have some occlusion while facing the couch down low, but should work under most situations. Make sure there's a big enough chaperone buffer between the virtual bounds and the TV though... You really don't want to hit that.

Also of note is that you might need a sync cord going between the lighthouses. One of the reasons to mount them up high is so they can see each other and sync. With them down low, a body will occlude their view. The question is whether the sync only needs to happen when turned on, or whether it's an ongoing thing. If the former, you should be good without the cable. If the later, you'll need the cable. Not that big of a deal though as it should be able to be run along the with the speaker cables to the back of the room. Edit: On reading the manual, it seems to suggest it's an ongoing thing or they wouldn't care about head/hands. So yeah, be prepared to run a sync cable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I phoned Currys/PC World and the guy said they don't know when they'll be available for sale.
I think the only way to get a Vive by April is if you pre-ordered through the HTC site.

It is obviously a gamble, but I do think HTC are likely to send a handful of systems to the 5-6 places that are doing demos. Would be silly not to really. But like you say, PC world play ignorant and don't really know.

edit: looking at the pic above and talk of buffer zone. I have my TV in an IKEA BESTA unit, but it is open to the room. I kind of wish I'd put sliding doors across it now for full protection :)

where can you see your preorder time at on the site?

I got my confirmation email at 7 minutes after they went up, is that where you're seeing it?

where can you see your preorder time at on the site?

I got my confirmation email at 7 minutes after they went up, is that where you're seeing it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zrnjm/get_extra_info_on_your_order/

Edit: My email from Oculus was also six past the hour. I think this is more for users who got stuck in that period when the site was not working properly.

My order went through just fine. I had setup an account prior to orders going up and it was almost as easy as doing an order through Amazon. The chaos ensued just after.

MrBud360

How would you compare your experience of using Oculus Touch with the HTC Vive?
Do you think Touch will meet the sort of performance and experience of the Vive? Do you think it'll require additional hardware/software updates or did it work fine as it was when you tried it?

I tested two demos with the Touch and they all worked flawless. One was the BulletTrain and the other was the Unreal 4 Vr Editor and I really like the weight and the force feedback. The Vive controller it's bigger, and has some buttons that I'm not familiar to use

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zrnjm/get_extra_info_on_your_order/

Edit: My email from Oculus was also six past the hour. I think this is more for users who got stuck in that period when the site was not working properly.

My order went through just fine. I had setup an account prior to orders going up and it was almost as easy as doing an order through Amazon. The chaos ensued just after.

awesome thanks

looks like my order time is also 4:06. I'd think that should be good enough for day 1 but we'll see

It's a week away they better start getting order statuses updated for people

mdsfx

So my PC failed the Oculus requirements since I have an i5 3570k. Is that really not enough?

Also said something about USB ports, but I have an Asus z77 Extreme 4 with 2x USB 3.0 ports...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does Steam VR have any of the comfort ratings that the Oculus store has? I think that could be a useful element - otherwise I might hold off on buying VR enabled games until I've heard the consensus from the wider users as to how comfortable they are

Qassim

Does Steam VR have any of the comfort ratings that the Oculus store has? I think that could be a useful element - otherwise I might hold off on buying VR enabled games until I've heard the consensus from the wider users as to how comfortable they are

No, but you can easily refund Steam games, so at least for me - that will encourage me to try things out.

Z3M0G

About this, is he just using the triggers on the controller to interact with the objects and portions of the guns? If so, this could be done with PS Move controllers... :)

Also, his technique of simply wire-framing the controller at all times is BRILLIANT! I hope that is a standard used in many games...

Just a fair warning... Think about the liability aspect. Unless you're going to babysit every person, there's the chance they can trip/fall and injure themselves, or do any number of other things they might sue for. I'm not sure what the laws are like where you are, but around here, the business would be liable. Could potentially have them sign a waiver, but I have no idea how well it'd actually hold up in court.

Access, security and safety are, as ever, the main issues. My pals in the Police so I've asked his opinion on the legalities of how I deal with some issues. A staff member would be a necessity as far as I can see and a number of doors and walls containing each area would need erected and closing off private areas of my office space so as not to access my main business.

Hmm this looks like it has legs.

UnrealEck

I found what might be an update on the latest version of the Oculus Touch controller. (roadtovr)
To my hands the Touch 2016 Prototype still has class-leading ergonomics (even compared to the Vive’s newest VR controllers) and the tracking works as well as ever.

Seems the Touch is just getting better and better. It looked to me like the old 'half-moon' prototype (with the IR sensors dotted around it) was already a better controller than Vive's wand. Now the improvements they appear to have made to the Touch make it even more appealing.

Frozone

I just picked up a 5 3.0 USB card that fits my very last PCI-E slot I have. And I'm older than an i5 (i.e. i7-920). At the cost of $30 for that card, I'm going to gamble and see if I can still play these VR games. Pretty much everything else on my system has been upgraded except the MB/CPU. SteamVR test was well in the green for "VR Ready".

artsi

I found what might be an update on the latest version of the Oculus Touch controller. (roadtovr)

Seems the Touch is just getting better and better. It looked to me like the old 'half-moon' prototype (with the IR sensors dotted around it) was already a better controller than Vive's wand. Now the improvements they appear to have made to the Touch make it even more appealing.

Yeah, it looks great. Good things come to those who wait, hopefully the release is closer to summer than winter.

So my PC failed the Oculus requirements since I have an i5 3570k. Is that really not enough?

Also said something about USB ports, but I have an Asus z77 Extreme 4 with 2x USB 3.0 ports...
My 3570K scores an 11 on the SteamVR test; 0 dropped frames because of CPU

Nice article about the latest Touch prototype from RoadToVR.

http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-oculus-touch-2016-prototype-brings-refinements-to-an-already-elegant-design/

Seems really favorable.
I'm not sure anyone has had any doubts about the touch controllers in terms of comfort and build quality, intended use cases etc. Just a question mark over how well they'll work with sensors on opposite sides of the room since Oculus aren't showing them off that way. I have zero doubts about them in a standing / forward facing scenario. I'm optimistic about them with the opposite corner setup but we don't have much info there eitherway.

artsi

I'm not sure anyone has had any doubts about the touch controllers in terms of comfort and build quality, intended use cases etc. Just a question mark over how well they'll work with sensors on opposite sides of the room since Oculus aren't showing them off that way. I have zero doubts about them in a standing / forward facing scenario. I'm optimistic about them with the opposite corner setup but we don't have much info there eitherway.

At least the leaker at Reddit says that no problem. The Job Simulator guys said about the same, that opposing camera setup is not recommended officially but it works.

Q: Rift's and Touch's roomscales capabilities and limits you've experienced?

A: Lighthouse is a bit picky with reflective surfaces and strong direct light. Other than that no issues. It's a pre but they assured us that it is identical hardware wise. The VR room downstairs uses a wall mounted opposing dual tracker setup and it works as you would expect. No issues with the ~4x4 playing field there. Oculus recommends aiming for standing 360 instead of walking to developers to maximize the pool of potential customers but there are no technical limitations.

Q: Do you think it would be worth getting a 3rd camera, or would it not end up being supported? I would definitely like 360 degree room scale for the Rift if possible!

A: Two opposing trackers should already get rid of most occlusion issues.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, I think the consensus was already that the Touch controllers seem to better overall in terms of design and build quality, the main questions are about how much will Oculus push them to be used in games (as they're not the default controller shipping with Rift), how is the occlusion and how late they will be to the party.

Paganmoon

any particular reason Rift/Vive aren't using track on the back of the headset, like PSVR does? With Rifts Touch and Vive's controllers, I understand the need for multiple cameras, but for just the HMD?

Yeah, I think the consensus was already that the Touch controllers seem to better overall in terms of design and build quality, the main questions are about how much will Oculus push them to be used in games (as they're not the default controller shipping with Rift), how is the occlusion and how late they will be to the party.
And the all important price tag too of course.

any particular reason Rift/Vive aren't using track on the back of the headset, like PSVR does? With Rifts Touch and Vive's controllers, I understand the need for multiple cameras, but for just the HMD?
The rift has tracking points on the back of the headset and the lighthouse setup precludes the need for them on the Vive. I've seen zero compliants about head tracking on any of the big three headsets.

Zalusithix

This first gen of VR certainly leads to a lot of "if only" thoughts. Combine the best aspects of each unit and ditch the rest. Take a Rift with Vive tracking's and FOV. Touch controllers (also with Vive tracking) but with a haptic pad instead of analogs. (Gestures FTW) Oh, and as long as I'm dreaming, a unified VR API.

This first gen of VR certainly leads to a lot of "if only" thoughts. Combine the best aspects of each unit and ditch the rest. Take a Rift with Vive tracking's and FOV. Touch controllers (also with Vive tracking) but with a haptic pad instead of analogs. (Gestures FTW) Oh, and as long as I'm dreaming, a unified VR API.

That's pretty much just the Vive. Maybe take the optics from the Rift though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

That sounds like the second generation of Vive. Or a slightly improved Vive.

Top Bottom