• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

UnrealEck

I tested a lot of games if anyone wants to ask me about it.

How would you compare your experience of using Oculus Touch with the HTC Vive?
Do you think Touch will meet the sort of performance and experience of the Vive? Do you think it'll require additional hardware/software updates or did it work fine as it was when you tried it?

Here's one thing i'll suggest for anyone when they get their headsets and drop into their first game. Play a ton of things that won't make you sick first. Don't risk trying some of the extreme games or hacked together VR support for flat screen games. You may begin to associate the smell of the headset with that time you got sick. It may be complete bullshit, but that's what happened to me with DK2.

It isn't BS at all. Source, my wife is studying aroma therapy as a secondary degree. She is at work but I went ahead and told her what happened to you and this is what she said,

Vlauds amazing wife said:
Scent memory is powerful. They could inhale an uplifting blend like peppermint (also anti-nausea) when they're doing something they love to do, then after awhile use that oil while doing VR, making sure they use it in a way to minimize getting sick.

Hope that Helps man. I have experienced very similar things as well in the past but not after my wife got to me lol. If you want to know more Just PM me and I can get you in touch if you want.

It's pretty much what to expect from an internet poll about this. The largest percentage of people are buying the most expensive/tech advanced one of course.

Eh, these polls get skewed and almost always worthless. It's why many companies do actual market research.

Nothing will really tell us much until we see actual sales numbers. I have invested and followed VR for years and am not getting the Vive. I don't think price really has much to do with the choice.

I flipping loath fanboy warriors that act like this. It's a shame that this is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGpHduX8CZs

I mean just read that first you tube comment. SMH

Though I will say that I do hate paid advertising as well but I don't think that Valve would do that especially right now when it doesn't seem like they would "need" it in the first place what with all of the glowing reviews they have received towards the Vive.

I mean multiple you tube personalities have made it clear that they weren't being paid for their reviews and since it would be very illegal to lie about such a thing I just can't imagine that some sort of backstage dealing is going on between valve and everyone.
People have either mentally joined a 'team' or they're skeptical about VR being the amazing thing that people say it is. Some people genuinely feel that room scale is *it*. I mean, is Valve paying off Durante? Somehow I don't think so.

I did get kind of upset to hear this guy say 'the Rift is PS1 and the Vive is PS4' but I have no doubt that's what he feels. I don't think the Vive would be offering seated and standing experiences if that were the case. I just think delineating things into Rift = Seated, Touch = Standing, and Vive = Room Scale is horribly misleading and really under values any VR game that isn't room scale.

And frankly, it misrepresents the Vive, because the real selling point of the Vive isn't that it can do room scale, but that it can do *everything*.

To solely focus on one type of VR game right now isn't what we should be doing, and I'm very glad developers aren't doing that. I'm glad people are making all different sorts of experiences because VR can offer something unique in any genre you can name. I'm glad we've got people like Tested covering VR (despite their really uncharacteristic 45 FPS nonsense with regards to PSVR) who are showing excitement for the breadth of games on offer.

I'm glad you've got Valve pushing room scale VR games and Oculus pushing a bunch of more traditional types of games. That's better for everyone. Whatever headset people here get, I really hope you all try a bunch of more traditional games in VR and go in with an open mind to understand what VR can bring to be table beyond making you feel the person having the experience.

Afrikan

Whoaaa. The tables have turned indeed!

I don't know... VRfocus and RoadtoVR have dedicated readers.

Those people weren't going to wait until October for the PSVR.

if there was an option vote for "PSVR and a PC VR headset"...I think that option would have been chosen by alot of them.

PC VR is going to have many unique experiences that won't come to PS4 right away if ever... and more importantly MODS.

I still think the PSVR will have more sales....which shouldn't be viewed as a knock on Oculus or Vive.

Compsiox

Banned

if there was an option vote for "PSVR and a PC VR headset"...I think that option would have been chosen by alot of them.

PC VR is going to have many unique experiences that won't come to PS4 right away if ever... and more importantly MODS.

I still think the PSVR will have more sales....which shouldn't be viewed as a knock on Oculus or Vive.

He seems to be referencing how Vive beating Oculus is unexpected. Not PSVR in anyway.

Zalusithix

PSVR looks grainy.... hmmmm

I thought the RGB panel was better?

It's a single screen, lower resolution, and the benefits of RGB subpixel layout are kind of diminished by the fact that the headset's optics are warping the hell out of the panel's pixels. Anybody expecting the PSVR to be superior was/is being just a tad optimistic to say the least. At best it'll have visual parity. Even that's unlikely given the hardware behind the PCs will be capable of greater supersampling levels to clean up the image.

UnrealEck

hmmm, that's now two people that have said the vive looks the best. Too many conflicting opinions on the optics of the vive and rift.

She also says the Vive is maybe not the best for the consumer yet. I guess she means because of the cable management when you're moving around.
That's going to be an issue though for Rift when Touch comes out and there's more room-scale games until VR goes wireless.

I'm trying to get an idea of Oculus Touch's tracking performance. Watching someone (at 0.25 speed!) flip a revolver's chamber open and flip it closed again seems to show that it's very very responsive. Seems about as good as the Vive.

Ionic

Is there screen tearing in vr?

It's still just a game being rendered, so it can experience screen tearing all the same as a traditional game. However every single headset manufacturer and game developer will urge that some form of v-sync be applied to their games to negate it. I doubt any built for VR games will even have an option to turn v-sync off.

viveks86

I'll believe it when I see sales numbers confirming it. I find it very hard to believe the Vive will sell more. It'll probably resonate with and sell better to those following VR closely, but the massive mindshare presence of Oculus and cheaper price should result in the Rift having a larger market share.

That's what I expect as well. Only time will tell. But I do get the sense that Vive's popularity over the months has steadily risen. Not to the extent that the poll suggests though

It's still just a game being rendered, so it can experience screen tearing all the same as a traditional game. However every single headset manufacturer and game developer will urge that some form of v-sync be applied to their games to negate it. I doubt any built for VR games will even have an option to turn v-sync off.
Thanks. I don't get motion sickness but that'd be a deal breaker for me.

viveks86

He seems to be referencing how Vive beating Oculus is unexpected. Not PSVR in anyway.

This.

That's what I expect as well. Only time will tell. But I do get the sense that Vive's popularity over the months has steadily risen. Not to the extent that the poll suggests though

Even though Vive came out the gate with glowing reviews, I always felt some measure of reservation for Vive, since it debuted late, and the HTC brand wasn't viewed favourably, even though the R&D for Vive is largely Valve.

Oculus just has that mindshare, not just that it's the first out the gate in terms of VR marketing, but the constantly talked up Facebook support.

It's sometimes a bit annoying to hear the whole "Facebook Money" being thrown around in regards to Oculus, as if it guarantees a product will be the best in class vs a less rich company's offerings.

viveks86

Hmmmm, literally everyone has panned the move controllers after GDC...

Surprised that she said that visuals in the Vive look better than the Oculus.

Even though Vive came out the gate with glowing reviews, I always felt some measure of reservation for Vive, since it debuted late, and the HTC brand wasn't viewed favourably, even though the R&D for Vive is largely Valve.

Oculus just has that mindshare, not just that it's the first out the gate in terms of VR marketing, but the constantly talked up Facebook support.

It's sometimes a bit annoying to hear the whole "Facebook Money" being thrown around in regards to Oculus, as if it guarantees a product will be the best in class vs a less rich company's offerings.

Should be interesting to see how all this pans out. And then Gen 2, when we start seeing much more feature parity.

Surprised that she said that visuals in the Vive look better than the Oculus.

There are so many variables, beyond scientific testing I don't think we're going to know for sure until some people get both and do some proper tests. As far as the displays and optics go in both the Vive and the Oculus I'm just going to presume it's a wash at this point.

Have people properly adjust the head strap on both? Or the eye relief? Or the IPD? Were the games they were playing identical visually?

Monger

She also says the Vive is maybe not the best for the consumer yet. I guess she means because of the cable management when you're moving around.
That's going to be an issue though for Rift when Touch comes out and there's more room-scale games until VR goes wireless.

I'm trying to get an idea of Oculus Touch's tracking performance. Watching someone (at 0.25 speed!) flip a revolver's chamber open and flip it closed again seems to show that it's very very responsive. Seems about as good as the Vive.

That's kind of hilarious. It's not recommended because you need someone to watch you while you play. Does anybody know the going rate for a nanny these days? I'm going to need to start interviewing.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Regarding the mysterious ebay popularity of DK2 - I think there could still be a demand for it in China. The one I posted went for a fairly high Buy It Now rate within a few hours to someone in China. It fell through after discussing shipping rates though. When I was looking at others to compare, many of them had bids from the same few people who were buying up a bunch. I'm guessing the earlier articles about "extreme dk2 resellers" are still somewhat accurate.

Anyone have any tripod recommendations for the Vive setup? The room I'll be using mine in won't have wall corners that are accurate for mapping usable space, so I need a portable solution.

I don't think saying it's old technology is panning it. I also think people delayed giving their opinion because there was a belief Sony may update the Move controllers. Now we know they won't people are giving their opinion on them.

I'm actually buying the controllers for Dreams, won't buy a headset this year(if ever), watching the devs use Move in Dreams I really can't foresee an issue.

viveks86

I don't think saying it's old technology is panning it. I also think people delayed giving their opinion because there was a belief Sony may update the Move controllers. Now we know they won't people are giving their opinion on them.

People aren't just saying it's old technology. They are saying it isn't as effective as other solutions and coming up with explanations such as "old technology". What worries me is the complaint that it isn't as effective in VR. Not how old it is. The dreams demonstration is still that of a traditional move game. Not VR.

And given how accurate the move has been in the past, I'm going to mark that as an issue with the software being demonstrated or the setup at GDC. The assumption being made is that the additional overhead of VR + headset tracking isn't introducing additional latency. It remains to be seen if the complaints continue into the next big demonstration

Kevin

I had the Rift preordered pretty much right away and I thought the Rift was pretty damn certain to become the mainstream choice for PC virtual reality but now it is looking like nearly everyone is switching over to the HTC Vive.

I was completely ok with getting the Rift and the Touch controllers in the second half of the year. I can wait for the motion tech on Rift but I would really hate picking up the Oculus Rift and having the HTC Vive eventually become the more popular choice with the Oculus Rift eventually fading out (think HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray).

What is the general consensus here on GAF? Will the Rift become the better option when Touch is released or do you guys expect HTC Vive to win the VR wars in terms of PC gaming?

GloveSlap

I had the Rift preordered pretty much right away and I thought the Rift was pretty damn certain to become the mainstream choice for PC virtual reality but now it is looking like nearly everyone is switching over to the HTC Vive.

I was completely ok with getting the Rift and the Touch controllers in the second half of the year. I can wait for the motion tech on Rift but I would really hate picking up the Oculus Rift and having the HTC Vive eventually become the more popular choice with the Oculus Rift eventually fading out (think HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray).

What is the general consensus here on GAF? Will the Rift become the better option when Touch is released or do you guys expect HTC Vive to win the VR wars in terms of PC gaming?

Theres no telling who will "win" but as someone who doesn't have the PC for either headset...the VIVE is the one that has me drooling.

And given the investment already involved, $200 more isn't much for what it offers.

Monger

Gizmag has a good comparison up of the three headsets after GDC. They gave the slight edge to the Vive after previously recommending the Rift, but are very fair in their comparison. Slightly preferred Touch controllers, but said it's not enough of a difference to matter in making a decision. They also really liked the Rift's launch lineup. They did mention the Rift isn't very comfortable with glasses because you can't adjust the distance of the lenses. This seems to be a common complaint.

And they crushed PSVR and Move controllers.

Bro, as long as Oculus plays ball with Valves roomscale tech then you will be fine with the Rift. And if it makes you feel any better I will tell you this, the core reason that I and many others went with the Vive over the Rift had nothing to do with hardware and everything to do with Oculus' policies on exclusivity in the PC space.

Also, your fears only hold true for the Rift if Oculus has it's way and turns VR HMDs into something akin to consoles instead of making them like any other PC peripheral like what Valve and open VR are trying to do. I mean, I have an AMD brand Grahpics card and an asus monitor and neither of them are the best or most popular but they are good enough for me at the moment because I can use whatever software I want with them at a performance that I am satisfied with. Best part is that I can switch out these components/peripherals for any other brand and still run the same stuff as before. I know that's a rough analogy but still.

We all just need to hope that Oculus doesn't burn up what is left of their PC fans good will before it's too late. More competition is a good thing for the growth of VR.

Cyriades

MAYBE... nope

image.png

Regarding the mysterious ebay popularity of DK2 - I think there could still be a demand for it in China. The one I posted went for a fairly high Buy It Now rate within a few hours to someone in China. It fell through after discussing shipping rates though. When I was looking at others to compare, many of them had bids from the same few people who were buying up a bunch. I'm guessing the earlier articles about "extreme dk2 resellers" are still somewhat accurate.

So are the majority of these dk2 eBay price spikes and sales due to Chinese buyers then? Don't really want to deal with international shipping.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Whatever minor weight differences exist between the two headsets probably wont matter as much as how it's distributed on the head/face. How well either headset fits in this regard will differ from person to person. There will no doubt be a statistical advantage to one being considered generally more comfortable than the other, but given all the shapes and sizes of people's heads, there will always be those that prefer the other.

I think oculus should have a clear advantage here. Most impressions say it is a lot more comfortable than vive (yes the pre but the consumer straps only seem to have changed a little bit). Maybe that is partly the weight, but I think it is more about the strap. That rear triangular piece is designed to fit around the back of your head and should reduce how much the OR pushes down on your cheekbones. On the vive you only really have the top strap providing support like that, and that won't prevent the weight tipping forwards

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I ended up cancelling my launch Rift order today so maybe one of you will get bumped up in the queue :) Just couldn't justify both, and don't want to deal with the possibility of getting scammed on eBay if I resell.

If I don't keep my rift I'm likely trying to first sell to someone here or on a couple other forums - ideally for the price of a vive but who knows

dumbo

I think oculus should have a clear advantage here. Most impressions say it is a lot more comfortable than vive (yes the pre but the consumer straps only seem to have changed a little bit). Maybe that is partly the weight, but I think it is more about the strap. That rear triangular piece is designed to fit around the back of your head and should reduce how much the OR pushes down on your cheekbones. On the vive you only really have the top strap providing support like that, and that won't prevent the weight tipping forwards

That does beg the question as to whether the Vive's strap can be removed/replaced.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Neither wins. Both will be fine until the next big headset comes out.

My current thinking (changes approximately every 15 mins), is to go with vive for a complete solution even if some comfort/optics are a little bit less good. Then in a couple of years oculus will hopefully include the tracking approach of vive and if they still have better comfort and headset quality I'll get OR2

That does beg the question as to whether the Vive's strap can be removed/replaced.

Depending how uncomfortable it is, I fully expect mods from the community.

Neither wins. Both will be fine until the next big headset comes out.

My current thinking (changes approximately every 15 mins), is to go with vive for a complete solution even if some comfort/optics are a little bit less good. Then in a couple of years oculus will hopefully include the tracking approach of vive and if they still have better comfort and headset quality I'll get OR2

Depending how uncomfortable it is, I fully expect mods from the community.

Go for the Vive, there's not gonna be much in it optic wise, and everything else pretty well Vive wins out.

Huh? This is the back of the Vive...

HTC-Vive2.jpg

You can see the back of the rift here,

oculus-rift-version-finale-nouvelle-manette.jpg

Both look pretty supportive and similar to me. Most of this is just going to come down to various head shapes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Durante

People have either mentally joined a 'team' or they're skeptical about VR being the amazing thing that people say it is. Some people genuinely feel that room scale is *it*. I mean, is Valve paying off Durante? Somehow I don't think so.
I would like to note that I wouldn't necessarily put it like "room scale is *it*". I certainly hope we will come up with something better soon enough, but what I do believe is that for non-cockpit locomotion and tracked interaction in consumer VR in 2016, room scale is as good as it gets.

There won't be a mainstream option in PC virtual reality for a good while yet.

HTC-Vive2.jpg

Both look pretty supportive and similar to me. Most of this is just going to come down to various head shapes.
That's the new, updated, Vive strap I think. Most impressions are based on the Pre.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

HTC-Vive2.jpg

Oh i thought the vive I tried just had a simple t junction at the back. That's good then (although the vive I tried was still a little heavy on my cheeks)

Oh i thought the vive I tried just had a simple t junction at the back. That's good then (although the vive I tried was still a little heavy on my cheeks)

Sounds like you need to wear the headset on your face bro...
:p Having more time to properly adjust the top strap should alleviate your problem.

Top Bottom