• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Isn't PSVR supposed to be better than the other two in terms of SDE? I think you may be confusing screen door effect with seeing the individual pixels. Screen door effect is actually being able to see the black in between the pixels, not being able to discern individual pixels.

Not based on impressions from people who have tried out all three. PSVR has *more* sub pixels, but SDE comes from how big the gaps are between the pixels, not from how many sub pixels you have. The Rift does something with it's lenses to pretty much eliminate it. The leaker on reddit last night rated them Rift > Vive > PSVR in terms of SDE... but all are going to be better than the DK2.

As with anything how much it annoys you is going to vary person to person.

Zalusithix

I just have this fear that the Rift being the more well known product will attract more devs to partner with Oculus.

Call me a cynic, but I think this is exactly what Oculus/FB want you to feel. Create exclusives and make people jump to their platform instead of the competition. This gives them a greater market share to convince more devs to go the Oculus route. So yeah, getting the Rift based on solely on that fear is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

I'd love for Oculus to prove me wrong, but until they walk the walk, I'm going to assume that their "open" nature is all talk in a post FB acquisition world.

I'm not in either camp, I'm just damned excited that VR is finally here. As a 44 year old (yep, I'm old) that has gamed since the Atari 2600, this is an incredibly exciting time.

I have a "26" order number for a Rift, so I'm sticking with it. You can't lose with either the Rift or the Vive imho.

One week from tomorrow, (hopefully) my Rift will be shipping, and I can't recall the last time I was this excited for a new gaming peripheral or technology.

/Cheers VR bros/gals
I am 37 and with you. I have a 26 order and can't believe it's so close.

Zalusithix

Isn't that because the Vive doesn't NEED tracking LEDs on the back? Because it has a rear Lighthouse sensor to track both the headset and controllers when turned around?
Yes, the Vive doesn't need them because the lighthouses are opposing eachother on opposite sides of the play area. You'll be within the laser cast of one of them no matter what way you face. It'll be extremely difficulty to occlude the headset or controllers in an open environment.

Yes, the Vive doesn't need them because the lighthouses are opposing eachother on opposite sides of the play area. You'll be within the laser cast of one of them no matter what way you face. It'll be extremely difficulty to occlude the headset or controllers in an open environment.

I've heard zero complaints about any of these headsets being tracked in 360 degrees. It's motion controllers that are going to have issues (if anything has issues, I'm not saying anything does).

Enordash

I'm not in either camp, I'm just damned excited that VR is finally here. As a 44 year old (yep, I'm old) that has gamed since the Atari 2600, this is an incredibly exciting time.

I have a "26" order number for a Rift, so I'm sticking with it. You can't lose with either the Rift or the Vive imho.

One week from tomorrow, (hopefully) my Rift will be shipping, and I can't recall the last time I was this excited for a new gaming peripheral or technology.

/Cheers VR bros/gals

I'm in the same boat. I just want VR to thrive and for people to enjoy it. I don't want people to feel bad about which HMD they are jumping in with. I tried the Gear VR for the first time this last weekend and my hype for my Rift order shot through the roof.

Zalusithix

I've heard zero complaints about any of these headsets being tracked in 360 degrees. It's motion controllers that are going to have issues (if anything has issues, I'm not saying anything does).

If you''re standing in place, no, none of them should have problems with the headsets. Once you begin moving around the room, however, all bets are off.

The lighthouses are the most robust solution, but furniture can create small patches of occlusion. Some rather extreme positions could also cause it (crawling towards a lighthouse corner with your head down looking under yourself). The camera solutions have the same furniture occlusion problems, plus the reduced FOV of cameras vs the lighthouses, and mounting location difficulties since the camera has to be routed back to the PC without signal issues. Then there's the fact that camera's tracking robustness and triangulation accuracy goes down the further you are away from it.

Cartman86

Banned
If you''re standing in place, no, none of them should have problems with the headsets. Once you begin moving around the room, however, all bets are off.

The lighthouses are the most robust solution, but furniture can create small patches of occlusion. Some rather extreme positions could also cause it (crawling towards a lighthouse corner with your head down looking under yourself). The camera solutions have the same furniture occlusion problems, plus the reduced FOV of cameras vs the lighthouses, and mounting location difficulties since the camera has to be routed back to the PC without signal issues. Then there's the fact that camera's tracking robustness and triangulation accuracy goes down the further you are away from it.

I expect to see plenty of people purchasing VR and having all sorts of issues due to not understanding how the tech works and where it should be set up. People shining bright lights at the base stations, setting up the sensors front facing or some other config that isn't diagonal for Vive etc. This will make me sad and I hope I can manage to avoid seeing these situations.

Like I said, I've seen zero complaints. These are things that can be solved with appropriate positioning of the camera (and we'll be able to buy more cameras in the case of the rift and extra lighthouses with the Vive). The Rift cameras have been confirmed to work with extension cables. I'm actually planning on putting mine on the opposite wall to my PC so I can have my back to the system. Aiming it down far enough that my head just stays in frame as I move around the space.

camerapositiond0p0t.png

Then I can either put the other one up on the opposite side of the book shelves, or near the speaker you see on the bottom right of this picture.

I think that's going to work pretty well.

Oh, and say hi to Alli.

Ok I need so help. I'm late to the VR game but I decided I can't wait until October for PSVR after messing with a Gear VR over Christmas. I have no PC now but that HP deal is very tempting. Will Oculus be sold in stores by itself, not part of a PC bundle? Which VR headset's exclusives seem better or more plentiful?

newsguy

Ok I need so help. I'm late to the VR game but I decided I can't wait until October for PSVR after messing with a Gear VR over Christmas. I have no PC now but that HP deal is very tempting. Will Oculus be sold in stores by itself, not part of a PC bundle? Which VR headset's exclusives seem better or more plentiful?

Same exact thing I'm dealing with. Your best bet is the bundles that ship in April.

Zalusithix

Like I said, I've seen zero complaints.
How many people are using the Rift in multi camera room scale conditions? Compared to the Vive where every person with one has been able to test the capabilities, I'd say not many at all. Until these things get out there in the real world en masse, I'd be hesitant to put much stock in "zero complaints".

That's not to say they wont work or will have tons of issues. The potential is there though - camera tracking setups are inherently more fallible than the lighthouse type from a tech perspective.

Seiru

Banned
I would but those bundles seem so underpowered, especially compared to the HP deal.

Underpowered how? If you're worried about them not being able to run VR, the bundles are specifically meant to provide computers that can run anything in the Oculus Store.

Hard to say which exclusives are better or more plentiful - Oculus has a bunch because they are the games they funded, but Vive has a bunch because they are designed around the motion controllers and room-scale, which Rift won't be able to do for a few months. Of course, at that point those will no longer be exclusive, as long as Valve updates OpenVR to work with Oculus Touch using the same API calls as the Vive touch controllers (assuming Rift owners get a USB extension cord and place their camera sensors in opposite corners like the Vive lighthouses).

Oculus standalone headsets will most likely not be sold in stores until the preorders are caught up, so not until July at the earliest. The Oculus-Ready PC bundles however are supposed to be sold in stores in very limited numbers (better just to order them online). I don't think HTC has said when Vives will be in retail, but the fact that there are Vive demo stations in certain retail stores already tells me they'll most likely have some retail units for sale in April.

Underpowered how? If you're worried about them not being able to run VR, the bundles are specifically meant to provide computers that can run anything in the Oculus Store.

The Video cards they include don't seem to be much more powerful than the minimum requirements.

Mindlog

Game I want in room scale VR: SuperHot

Really rad game in VR: SuperHot Wizard
I can easily imaging a very difficult setting where the skill ceiling is extremely high and actually based on real world physical prowess. Or it could end up being a virtual version of twister lol.

Bsigg12

Hard to say which exclusives are better or more plentiful - Oculus has a bunch because they are the games they funded, but Vive has a bunch because they are designed around the motion controllers and room-scale, which Rift won't be able to do for a few months. Of course, at that point those will no longer be exclusive, as long as Valve updates OpenVR to work with Oculus Touch using the same API calls as the Vive touch controllers (assuming Rift owners get a USB extension cord and place their camera sensors in opposite corners like the Vive lighthouses).

Oculus standalone headsets will most likely not be sold in stores until the preorders are caught up, so not until July at the earliest. The Oculus-Ready PC bundles however are supposed to be sold in stores in very limited numbers (better just to order them online). I don't think HTC has said when Vives will be in retail, but the fact that there are Vive demo stations in certain retail stores already tells me they'll most likely have some retail units for sale in April.

Oculus has said they'll have a very limited supply of units at retail stores in April.

How many people are using the Rift in multi camera room scale conditions? Compared to the Vive where every person with one has been able to test the capabilities, I'd say not many at all. Until these things get out there in the real world en masse, I'd be hesitant to put much stock in "zero complaints".

That's not to say they wont work or will have tons of issues. The potential is there though - camera tracking setups are inherently more fallible than the lighthouse type from a tech perspective.

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where both cameras in a room would have a fully occluded view of the headset if you're using two. We know they work in opposing corners. We don't know if that's good enough to give you room scale with touch, but there's zero reason why head tracking under those circumstances would have any issues.

Lighthouse is fantastic technology, no doubts, and I see the clear advantages it offers which will absolutely lead to a better experience with the wands vs the touch controllers as far as occlusion goes... but for the Rift itself which has front and back tracking points?

I don't see how it would be worse in a two camera setup than the Vive which doesn't have front and back tracking points (and doesn't *need* front and back tracking points thanks to the opposing corners setup). Sure you have to take a bit more care placing your cameras, but there are zero scenarios I can think of where the Rift would have a problem and the Vive wouldn't as far as headset tracking goes. Remember again, that the cameras can locate the Rift from the back, but the front of the Vive always needs to be able to see a lighthouse.

Heck it's hard to think of a scenario where the Rift wouldn't work and the Vive would in a one camera Rift setup if that camera is smartly positioned in the corner of a room facing into the middle (since the FOV is wider than 90 wide).

Lighthouses are absolutely going to show their advantage when it comes to tracking motion controllers, no doubt... but you really have to start talking about bad placement of the camera or cameras before you're going to run into issues with the Rift in a two camera setup. And sure, it's more susceptible to bad camera placement since the FOV isn't as wide as the lighthouses cast their tracking lasers, but it's not like the lighthouses are immune to dumb positioning too.

Both solutions are fantastic for *headset* tracking. I've seen zero hands on impressions say anything else. And yes, those are in scenarios where the camera is well positioned, but all of us here are smart enough to ensure we position the camera smartly.

newsguy

Oculus has said they'll have a very limited supply of units at retail stores in April.

This isn't confirmed. Many people think they mean that they will have demo units in retail stores. I personallyemailed support and they said that they have not discussed if or when units will be in retail stores.

Mikeside

I just rewatched the Leap Motion Orion tutorial video again.

So impressive, I really hope we get hand tracking that sophisticated and accurate in the next generation of headsets as standard.

The only obstacle after that, really, is getting tactile feedback. I'm not sure what the solution to that would be, bar some kind of gloves?

Compsiox

Banned
So glad I'm getting Vive and the Rift so I don't have to stress about missing out on stuff. This may sound silly but this is why I own a PS4 and Xbox One. I try to avoid heart wrenching decisions.

newsguy

What? If anyone has been looking into this it's me. I emailed Oculus and they specifically told me that they have no current plans for retail release.

http://imgur.com/xwmR3gP

And if you go on the Oculus forums they seem to think the same as well. Again, I'm doing the research because I want to get a standalone myself, but it's not looking great right now.

Here's a video I took earlier today of Herobound Spirit Champion which will be available on the Rift come March 28th. It's a great little game. I captured this from my GearVR, and the current built in video capture doesn't record sound, so I threw stock music on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPfH22MuMkg

Worth checking out if you haven't. I'm a big fan of it so far... and it makes me extra optimistic about Chronos, which is from the same developers.

pj

Banned
What? If anyone has been looking into this it's me. I emailed Oculus and they specifically told me that they have no current plans for retail release.

That makes even less sense. Why would they put demos in retailers if they're not going to sell them there?

"Orders are already shipping months in advance, according to the website, while retail begins in April, Iribe said."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/06/oculus-ceo-working-on-pre-order-issues-will-be-ok-soon.html

"When the consumer version of the Oculus Rift goes on sale in Q1 2016, the company plans to sell the VR headset both online and in brick and mortar stores. Oculus founder Palmer Luckey tells us that in-store Rift demo stations will accompany units on the shelves so that the masses can take VR for a spin."

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-plan...tations-in-retail-stores-for-consumer-launch/

How hard have you been looking?

Edit: Your image doesn't match your claim at all "we haven't announced" is not the same as "no current plans"

newsguy

That makes even less sense. Why would they put demos in retailers if they're not going to sell them there?

"Orders are already shipping months in advance, according to the website, while retail begins in April, Iribe said."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/06/oculus-ceo-working-on-pre-order-issues-will-be-ok-soon.html

"When the consumer version of the Oculus Rift goes on sale in Q1 2016, the company plans to sell the VR headset both online and in brick and mortar stores. Oculus founder Palmer Luckey tells us that in-store Rift demo stations will accompany units on the shelves so that the masses can take VR for a spin."

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-plan...tations-in-retail-stores-for-consumer-launch/

How hard have you been looking?

Edit: Your image doesn't match your claim at all "we haven't announced" is not the same as "no current plans"

Everyone is claiming the quote about retail stores is some sort of announcement because it came out at the same time as the launch details.

This says otherwise. Is their support clueless? Maybe, but that's the horses mouth.

Everyone is claiming the quote about retail stores is some sort of announcement because it came out at the same time as the launch details.

This says otherwise. Is their support clueless? Maybe, but that's the horses mouth.

I'll take Palmer and Iribe's word over whoever this Jericho guy is. If Palmer is saying one thing and random support guy is saying something else, I wouldn't call the random support guy 'the horse's mouth' when you've got executives at the company saying otherwise.

Zalusithix

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where both cameras in a room would have a fully occluded view of the headset if you're using two. We know they work in opposing corners. We don't know if that's good enough to give you room scale with touch, but there's zero reason why head tracking under those circumstances would have any issues.

Lighthouse is fantastic technology, no doubts, and I see the clear advantages it offers which will absolutely lead to a better experience with the wands vs the touch controllers as far as occlusion goes... but for the Rift itself which has front and back tracking points?

I don't see how it would be worse in a two camera setup than the Vive which doesn't have front and back tracking points (and doesn't *need* front and back tracking points thanks to the opposing corners setup). Sure you have to take a bit more care placing your cameras, but there are zero scenarios I can think of where the Rift would have a problem and the Vive wouldn't as far as headset tracking goes. Remember again, that the cameras can locate the Rift from the back, but the front of the Vive always needs to be able to see a lighthouse.

Heck it's hard to think of a scenario where the Rift wouldn't work and the Vive would in a one camera Rift setup if that camera is smartly positioned in the corner of a room facing into the middle (since the FOV is wider than 90 wide).

Lighthouses are absolutely going to show their advantage when it comes to tracking motion controllers, no doubt... but you really have to start talking about bad placement of the camera or cameras before you're going to run into issues with the Rift in a two camera setup. And sure, it's more susceptible to bad camera placement since the FOV isn't as wide as the lighthouses cast their tracking lasers, but it's not like the lighthouses are immune to dumb positioning too.

Both solutions are fantastic for *headset* tracking. I've seen zero hands on impressions say anything else. And yes, those are in scenarios where the camera is well positioned, but all of us here are smart enough to ensure we position the camera smartly.

For the headset it'd be less occlusion, and more just camera issues. While lighthouse reflections could theoretically mess with the Vive, stray IR light sources in general can screw with camera tracking. This wouldn't be an issue up close, but at room scale distances there's the possibility the headset could be hard to accurately pick out vs other ambient IR light sources. I understand there's techniques in place it mitigate this possibility, but like I said, until it's live in people's houses and being subject to the 8 million variables that entails, I'm hesitant to say there wont be any problems. Hell, I don't even consider the Vive a 100% foolproof solution - though it should be more robust from a technical standpoint.

pj

Banned

Their support says exactly the current situation. They haven't announced their plans.

That doesn't mean they don't have plans.

A support person making 15 bucks an hour is not "the horses mouth"

Watch the video in this link:

The CEO says "we're gonna be in retail starting in april" (starts talking about retail at about 2 mins in). If you don't believe him, I don't know what to tell you.

newsguy

I'll take Palmer and Iribe's word over whoever this Jericho guy is. If Palmer is saying one thing and random support guy is saying something else, I wouldn't call the random support guy 'the horse's mouth' when you've got executives at the company saying otherwise.

That's fine, but what sucks for those of us who are trying to figure out how soon we can get a standalone unit is that they're so damn silent. The March pre orders don't even have shipping details yet ffs. April is in a few days, it would be nice to know if and when people can stand in a line or wait online for retail units to go on sale.

Cartman86

Banned
Here's one thing i'll suggest for anyone when they get their headsets and drop into their first game. Play a ton of things that won't make you sick first. Don't risk trying some of the extreme games or hacked together VR support for flat screen games. You may begin to associate the smell of the headset with that time you got sick. It may be complete bullshit, but that's what happened to me with DK2.

I flipping loath fanboy warriors that act like this. It's a shame that this is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGpHduX8CZs

I mean just read that first you tube comment. SMH

Though I will say that I do hate paid advertising as well but I don't think that Valve would do that especially right now when it doesn't seem like they would "need" it in the first place what with all of the glowing reviews they have received towards the Vive.

I mean multiple you tube personalities have made it clear that they weren't being paid for their reviews and since it would be very illegal to lie about such a thing I just can't imagine that some sort of backstage dealing is going on between valve and everyone.

x3sphere

I ended up cancelling my launch Rift order today so maybe one of you will get bumped up in the queue :) Just couldn't justify both, and don't want to deal with the possibility of getting scammed on eBay if I resell.

Onemic

Alright. So I've been sitting on this VR game idea for a while now trying to figure out how to best express what I am envisioning so I don't look stupid lol.
I've probably butchered it (;¬_¬)

Disclaimer, I am a VRgin. But all of the Ideas that I have formulated were made using the data from all of the VR demos and reviews that I have seen/read about and how I understand VR at this point. This is obviously open ended and I would love input on what could work better or what wouldn't work at all as long as the main idea stays in tact.

So, I was trying to come up with a way to utilize all of the "proven" ideas and tools that we have at our disposal so far in one game.

What I envision is a hybrid VR first person multiplayer team based turn based game in the vein of XCOM/Divinity that would heavily utilize environment physics, proximity chat and sound design. With the possible option of a single player campaign where you can take control of each character.

Magic:
My dream is for a fantasy style game with a time period and magic system akin to the lightbringer series. It's such a unique idea for magic mechanics and since VR is a whole new world I would just love to see more non traditional forms of fantasy being experimented with. You can read more about Chromaturgy here. I think a form of this where you start off very weak but potentially gain strength late game would work well in a multiplayer tactical game given all of the various uses and use cases for the different colors.

Traversal:
This is the hardest part to figure out and nothing is really set in stone as far as a locomotion method. Since there hasn't been a breakthrough in locomotion for huge environments yet I was trying to tackle the problem of utilizing every ones play space while still being in a huge and very interactive environment. I think the best idea that I have seen so far other than hover junkers is the teleportation method from budget cuts and I think that would fit well for this style of game. I really like the cover and movement mechanics of XCOM as well as the way that geography is designed to utilize these so well and I think that would translate well when I think about it in terms of VR.

Traversal Interface:
So, you would aim at the spot that you want to move and you would see a "Ring of interaction" which represents the immediate area in which you can move and interact with the game world even after your turn (This will vary depending on your AP) as well as a ring that represents your room scale boundaries and where you can walk IRL. You will only be able to teleport within the "Ring of Interaction" while it is still your turn, you will only be able to move within your roomscale space when your turn is over. This prevents people from cheesing by teleporting while it is another players turn and He is trying to attack you. However you can still try to dodge attacks within your roomscale while waiting for your next turn. If that makes sense lol.

You would also obviously see rings for any buffs/debuffs active as well.

Movement and environment mechanics:
The idea is to give the player freedom of interaction with the game world within a certain distance that would feel natural for VR. Think picking or even setting locks on anything a lock would be on, setting traps behind cover, Setting up cover with magic or skills, setting a wagon on fire and pushing it, harvesting materials, looting bodies, picking up rocks to throw, setting things on fire with torches, Putting fire out with water or other means, taking cover, etc. Certain actions can only be done on your turn with AP like moving and attacking but others can be done while waiting your turn. It should be risky to not pay attention to what the other team is doing while you are waiting your turn. For example, you could be attacked while your back is turned trying to pick a lock or set up cover in time for your next turn. So, do you try to set up defense first or look for resources? Keep your eye on the enemy or pick a lock to a door barring your way? Lookout for a teammate or stay hidden behind cover? This is where delegation, communication and teamwork really comes in to play in a multiplayer game.

How turns work:
So as with most tactical turn based games everyone would have AP. I don't really know what actions to delegate to AP spendage yet. I'm thinking just movement outside of your "Ring of Interaction", enemy engagement with physical and projectile attacks as well as offensive, defensive and healing magic. I haven't really worked out a turn stat system either, I just haven't taken the time to think about that. In my mind it's more traditional like Divinity but I'd like to work something special for VR for while you are waiting for your turn. Example, after finishing your turn you then have the option to perform one of many risky, time consuming but beneficial tasks. If you finish this task in time you gain that bonus, but if you fail to complete the task by your next turn you lose AP and risk losing your spot in line for your next turn.

Since this is a VR First Person game that would use proximity chat, loosing line of sight of your enemy should be very risky but potentially very rewarding at the same time. If you are inside of a building away from your team trying to gain resources or an advantageous position you will only see the timer for your next turn and cannot see enemy positions. You will however be able to hear things as you would IRL. So this means that stuff like explosion or ringing of steal will be audible at believable distances and these could be your only indicators of what is going on. Hiding around corners or looking through door key holes should allow you to hear conversations or just hear better what is on the other side.

This will be handy and at the same time risky for setting up ambushes and such. Say you are a rogue class and the group leader gives you the task of setting up an ambush and the go signal is an explosion. You take your time meticulously and nervously working your way around the edge of the map to the ambush spot and wait for the signal. Suddenly you hear an explosion and see smoke but it's not where you know your teammates where... So do you go ahead and make the ambush next turn?

Anyway, I have lots more potential rough ideas for it like a spotting system for stealth and non stealth depending on your class. Ie if you haven't been spotted you gain a buff when attacking and for tanks or berserkers they can draw your "spot" and debuff you by doing so but are debuffed if not spotted themselves. The catch is that you only have one "spot" chance to use per turn initially and you cannot attack someone at full force that isn't spotted so they will only take a small amount of collateral damage from traps, explosions and rogue projectiles etc.

Just throwing the idea out there lol. If someone with more experience with this than I (read none lol) actually likes it I would seriously be up to working on it with them and maybe presenting it to some developers or something.

IDK, I'm just really excited for VR but am probably getting ahead of myself lol.

TL;DR :p

Are you a developer?

Zalusithix

Whoaaa. The tables have turned indeed!

I'll believe it when I see sales numbers confirming it. I find it very hard to believe the Vive will sell more. It'll probably resonate with and sell better to those following VR closely, but the massive mindshare presence of Oculus and cheaper price should result in the Rift having a larger market share.

Pit

Just measured my space in my room. Comes out at 6 x 5 feet, with a drawer I can move to get me 7 x 5 feet (f**king double bed taking half my room) haha. So I should be right for 'room scale' VR with the vive then?

Top Bottom