• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

hesido

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If anything, the perspective puzzles are easier, since you can more freely and naturally adjust your perspective. It never locks your head in place.

The caveats are the same as for any game which has traditional movement controls.

I think it makes it so much easier for some puzzles then, because you can continue drawing the line by nudging your head where you are obstructed by something, that's supposed to be part of the puzzle.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Has anyone experienced a 3D movie with either the Rift or the Vive? How about a normal 2D movie on Netflix? This single use case could sell it for me.

wazoo

If the headsets can replicate the experience I have with my personal 3m large projector, it will be a killer app for those things.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So just to put some perspective in regards to UK Vive shipping, they've just confirmed that my 8 minute order will ship in the first batch :)

oh - do you have contact details for the UK then? Although my order confirmation was 15:04 so I should be ok by the sound of it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's a helluva caveat. How do the puzzles that require precise perspective work? Does it/will it lock your head in place? That seems terrible.

the game is very flexible. You can start drawing a line in an environmental puzzle even if the end isn't visible or you aren't lined up. If you move so the line breaks, you can't 'push' the light past that point until you line it up again. There is at least one puzzle where you have to actually use that to solve it - you can't see all the line in one go. So for VR it shouldn't be an issue.

pezley

Banned
Has anyone experienced a 3D movie with either the Rift or the Vive? How about a normal 2D movie on Netflix? This single use case could sell it for me.

have not tried 3D yet but regular 2D isn't pleasent. The sweet spot of the lenses means only the centre is in focus and the relatively visible resolution just isn't as nice as watching it on a nice TV.

bj00rn_

Banned
So just to put some perspective in regards to UK Vive shipping, they've just confirmed that my 8 minute order will ship in the first batch :)

And here I was ready to cancel my Vive pre-order because I want to ensure getting my hands on possible exclusives, and my main focus is on seated VR anyway (Touch will mitigate room scale later), now it I got doubts again because my Vive would probably arrive sooner than my Rift.......

have not tried 3D yet but regular 2D isn't pleasent. The sweet spot of the lenses means only the centre is in focus and the relatively visible resolution just isn't as nice as watching it on a nice TV.

You are probably talking about the DK2 here. The sweet spot is much MUCH larger on the CVs, and I assume that's what the previous poster is interested in.

Anyway my personal take on this is that movie and 3D movie playback in the CVs will approx. be on the level of sitting relatively close up to a projector screen, except that you'll have better black levels.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I was 6 minutes in, but not for UK. But I assume that the first batch is the same for whole Europe, being sent all from Ireland.

Man

So that shows the vast number of potential PSVR users don't have a twitter account. Hardly surprising.
I don't think anyone are looking closely at the PSVR number. What's interesting about the poll is Vive vs Oculus Rift.
Vive was just announced a year ago and it has seemingly stolen the momentum from Oculus.

Just a question to all the ones who preordered one of the three headsets.

Whats the game you look forward to the most?

To me its actually Adr1ft (btw. Adam Orth said it will come out on other VR headsets in that Tested video from yesterday, so PSVR and Vive I am sure). That game also looks like its one of the more graphical intensive games.
Also Chronos looks nice, but hope that game is good and not just "its good, because its a VR game."

What's Gafs thoughts on the viability of a VR arcade for want of a better word? The office I have is three floors and the second floor is empty but has kitchen bathrooms etc. The space is big enough, I think, for probably 4 vive systems with space to walk around, 6m X 12m roughly. It's basically dead space just now. Does anyone see a market for say £10 an hour? And populate the space with chairs, bean bags and a few drinks and food dispensers? I'm just spitballing just now but the space is simply wasted just now and I can see a market for those who want to play VR but not able to buy in at this point.

fanboi

Banned
What's Gafs thoughts on the viability of a VR arcade for want of a better word? The office I have is three floors and the second floor is empty but has kitchen bathrooms etc. The space is big enough, I think, for probably 4 vive systems with space to walk around, 6m X 12m roughly. It's basically dead space just now. Does anyone see a market for say £10 an hour? And populate the space with chairs, bean bags and a few drinks and food dispensers? I'm just spitballing just now but the space is simply wasted just now and I can see a market for those who want to play VR but. To able to buy in at this point.

This is something I am contemplating as well actually.

mdsfx

I think it's just the illustration of the fact that potential PSVR users are rather followers of Sony that of VR in general.
I can only speak for myself, but my PC was just shy of meeting the vr requirements due to my processor. PSVR seems like an easy way to be introduced to VR without upgrading anything. Also slightly cheaper, but I know that's at the expense of quality/experience.

So that shows the vast number of potential PSVR users don't have a twitter account. Hardly surprising.

I think PSVR is not going to do well. Console buyers aren't those to lay down 350 pounds on just a headset that needs accessories that hark back to memories of the Wii fad. That's how I feel after the dust has settled. I think it will pick up hopefully if they can get the price down

Just a question to all the ones who preordered one of the three headsets.

Whats the game you look forward to the most?

To me its actually Adr1ft (btw. Adam Orth said it will come out on other VR headsets in that Tested video from yesterday, so PSVR and Vive I am sure). That game also looks like its one of the more graphical intensive games.
Also Chronos looks nice, but hope that game is good and not just "its good, because its a VR game."

I am excited for Robinson The Journey for PSVR it looks pretty cool. Crytek is developing it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I can only speak for myself, but my PC was just shy of meeting the vr requirements due to my processor. PSVR seems like an easy way to be introduced to VR without upgrading anything. Also slightly cheaper, but I know that's at the expense of quality/experience.

I realized that turned out a bit wrong from me, by generalizing, so I edited. My point was that a lot of people were exposed to VR by following Sony, while RoadtoVR's is more focused on the VR believers.

Surprisingly HTC/Valve have been more aggressive than Oculus in the lead-up for the launch these last weeks. They sent out kits to the press, Youtubers, Twitch streamers and also had a couple of software announcements like the Lab, Vanishing Realms that were received very well. Right now only looking at games and social media it certainly feels the momentum shifted a bit, though Rift should still have the bigger mindshare.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's Gafs thoughts on the viability of a VR arcade for want of a better word? The office I have is three floors and the second floor is empty but has kitchen bathrooms etc. The space is big enough, I think, for probably 4 vive systems with space to walk around, 6m X 12m roughly. It's basically dead space just now. Does anyone see a market for say £10 an hour? And populate the space with chairs, bean bags and a few drinks and food dispensers? I'm just spitballing just now but the space is simply wasted just now and I can see a market for those who want to play VR but. To able to buy in at this point.

I think it'd be a good idea. I like the office idea as it'd be a bit more accommodating than an old warehouse. And if the market isn't huge, you could probably graze between locations to get good deals on empty space.

While I think I'm getting the vive, I'd definitely consider going to a location where they have lots of space - so I can walk around a full 15/15ft area and have no solid walls nearby so even if I'm waving my arms about like a crazy person I'm not going to hit anything

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you think there would be a benefit to fiddling around with PC background tasks etc? My PC needs to do double duty so not just dedicated to games, but I dont' know if there would be a simple way to eg log in with a different account with way less loaded in the background (no skype/onedrive/dropbox etc) so there is less to potentially hit framerates?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Surprisingly HTC/Valve have been more aggressive than Oculus in the lead-up for the launch these last weeks. They sent out kits to the press, Youtubers, Twitch streamers and also had a couple of software announcements like the Lab, Vanishing Realms that were received very well. Right now only looking at games and social media it certainly feels the momentum shifted a bit, though Rift should still have the bigger mindshare.

Oculus created hype for pre-orders and kind of abandoned the communication after that. But because the pre-orders worked so well for them (compared to what they can deliver) many will be reluctant to cancel them or even will try to sell them afterwards, so I don't think it will backfire for them. What remains to be see is how will the launch of Touch go and when.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
two random questions

1) Can the vive be set up as a seated only arrangement with a single lighthouse above your monitor (so replicating an OR type arrangement)? Someone in the OR thread mentioned not wanting messy cables hanging down from the walls and that made me wonder if you could do this.

2) for locomotion/nausea issues, would a very simplified motion platform help? Eg something that maybe only slides in two axes - left/right and forward/back, and is synchronised to the game to give you a physical acceleration stimulus when you walk in different directions in the game. The Eve Valkyrie launching ship gif in the OR thread made me want to feel the launch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You are probably talking about the DK2 here. The sweet spot is much MUCH larger on the CVs, and I assume that's what the previous poster is interested in.

Anyway my personal take on this is that movie and 3D movie playback in the CVs will approx. be on the level of sitting relatively close up to a projector screen, except that you'll have better black levels.
Sounds good. Is anyone else considering high end VR to watch movies?

Zalusithix

two random questions

1) Can the vive be set up as a seated only arrangement with a single lighthouse above your monitor (so replicating an OR type arrangement)? Someone in the OR thread mentioned not wanting messy cables hanging down from the walls and that made me wonder if you could do this.

2) for locomotion/nausea issues, would a very simplified motion platform help? Eg something that maybe only slides in two axes - left/right and forward/back, and is synchronised to the game to give you a physical acceleration stimulus when you walk in different directions in the game. The Eve Valkyrie launching ship gif in the OR thread made me want to feel the launch.

1) Yes, but it will lose tracking if you look completely behind yourself. Unlike the Rift, the Vive doesn't have tracking on the rear of the headset under the assumption you'll always have a lighthouse aiming from the other side.

2) The only way you can impart constant forces in a limited area is using tilt and gravity ala driving/flying sim rigs. This would be decidedly less safe while standing.

Anybody getting VR solely for that would be much better off investing in a real projector and screen. VR will be a visual mess for movie watching until generations with much higher resolution (and perfect optics).

It's not something that is my main focus, but if the experience is good enough it is certainly something that I'll do. I have a tendency to get distracted while watching movies, so having the world blocked out by the headset might be very useful.

the game is very flexible. You can start drawing a line in an environmental puzzle even if the end isn't visible or you aren't lined up. If you move so the line breaks, you can't 'push' the light past that point until you line it up again. There is at least one puzzle where you have to actually use that to solve it - you can't see all the line in one go. So for VR it shouldn't be an issue.

You've taken a quote out of the middle of a conversation. I don't think it's nearly as simple as you think it is.

Man

New survey shows console gamers more interested in VR than PC gamers:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-gamers-more-interested-in-vr-than-pc-players

A new exclusive survey question commissioned by GamesIndustry.biz has indicated that console gamers across Europe are more interested in investing in VR technology than their PC counterparts, with 63 per cent of console players indicating interest in VR, compared to just 51 per cent of PC gamers. When that category was restricted to PS4 and Xbox One gamers the percentage of interested players rose to 72 per cent.

The results will be welcome news for Sony, which revealed pricing and dates for PSVR at GDC last week, with an October shelf date putting a commercial release at the back of the pack behind Rift's March 28 and Vive's April 5, but well ahead of the two on prices. These details were not publicly known at the time of the survey.

All answers came from France, Spain, Germany and the UK. The question formed a part of a larger, regular survey from Ipsos designed to track purchasing intent.

Nzyme32

two random questions

1) Not really. Many of the Vive games are 360 degree oriented even when seated, so there needs to be tracking behind you for when you turn around. 180 / forward facing experiences would work with just one in front of you, but it would make sense to have a single setup that works for everything, which opposing corners for the lighthouses perfectly does. If you don't want "messy cables", don't mount them; stand them in an appropriate place angled to suit if possible. They still work within reason. On the floor will greatly increase occlusion caused by your body and would be awful for seated. Everything else should be fine

2) No. Spatial orientation isn't accounted for, and you brain will understand it isn't accurate due to the proprioception cues of your body and vestibular system. Similarly linear acceleration would need to perfectly match, which none of these platform systems can do. When there is a mismatch, expect discomfort, disorientation, headaches, nausea and alike

Both look pretty supportive and similar to me. Most of this is just going to come down to various head shapes.
Actually, most hands-ons say the Rift is quite a bit more comfortable because of its weight, balance, and rigid design. Once you've done the first-time adjustment, you put the Rift on like a hat, springs push the headset against your face to seal it from light leakage, and then you forget it is there. Comfort and quality was a huge focus during the CV1's development, and they designed it to be balanced so that all the weight wasn't at the front even before you get the benefits of the strap design (the back of the strap is actually a counterweight, with the straps a full 30% of the Rift's weight).

PSVR is supposed to be even more comfortable, at a cost of letting light leak in since the headset just hangs down in front of your face.

Tadie

1) Not really. Many of the Vive games are 360 degree oriented even when seated, so there needs to be tracking behind you for when you turn around. 180 / forward facing experiences would work with just one in front of you, but it would make sense to have a single setup that works for everything, which opposing corners for the lighthouses perfectly does. If you don't want "messy cables", don't mount them; stand them in an appropriate place angled to suit if possible. They still work.

But doesn´t they say you need a special angle and 2m height for the lasers?

Gizmag has a good comparison up of the three headsets after GDC. They gave the slight edge to the Vive after previously recommending the Rift, but are very fair in their comparison. Slightly preferred Touch controllers, but said it's not enough of a difference to matter in making a decision. They also really liked the Rift's launch lineup. They did mention the Rift isn't very comfortable with glasses because you can't adjust the distance of the lenses. This seems to be a common complaint.

And they crushed PSVR and Move controllers.

I think the Rift is supposed to come with another set of face "rubber interface", to adapt to different shapes of faces, including one with more space for people with glasses.

Zalusithix

New survey shows console gamers more interested in VR than PC gamers:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-gamers-more-interested-in-vr-than-pc-players

Ignoring the potential inaccuracy of surveys, whether you're interested and whether you're willing to shell out $400+ are two different things. They said to ignore the price as if that was going to skew the results to favor the cheaper PSVR. In reality, factoring in the price would have done the opposite. PC gamers are far more used to shelling out big bucks for accessories and upgrades.

So basically this survey tells us next to nothing really useful. It's entirely possible that the acceptable price for console users could be far enough below the realistic minimum that it excludes a large margin of those interested. Interest without intent to buy is a kind of pointless metric IMO. It's not even really useful as a view for the future because interest can grow or wane over time depending on marketing and how everything turns out.

artsi

A summary from that Reddit leaker was posted. A lot of misinformation addressed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4bbrtg/insider_leak_readible_summary/

Interesting. Sounds like Oculus was actually ready to support the Vive in their store but only with native Oculus SDK support, which was denied by Valve.

Q: What's with the rumor of a dispute between oculus and valve / htc that caused Oculus to drop Vive support for their store?

A: Well there is that drop-down in the oculus software's devices tab with the ability to add additional headsets. The Rift is the only headset listed right now but it looks like they plan to add more. I don't know valve well enough to know theír reasons but the last thing I heard was that they would only support it through a Steam VR layer on top of the Oculus SDK which Oculus didn't like.

Q: That is how Valve supports the rift as well right? There is an Oculus SDK layer on top of SteamVR. But Oculus basically doesn't want to do the same and asked Valve to support the Vive through their SDK alone (something they knew they would never get)?

A: I don't know all the details and it's mostly hearsay from other studios we're collaborating with but it sounded like Valve wanted a full-on Steam layer on top of the Oculus SDK a bit like Ubisoft does it with Uplay on Steam but just when using the Vive and not on a game-by-game basis but Oculus wasn't too happy with that. There is also a bit of pressure by Valve to ditch the OVR SDK completely and use OpenVR for all PC builds but that would mean we wouldn't be able to use the Oculus Store and would have to miss out on visibility and profit.

Nzyme32

But doesn´t they say you need a special angle and 2m height for the lasers?

You don't need to, that's why the lighthouses have feet. I've set one of the Dk1s at about 5ft and it works perfectly. There are things people need to be aware of though.

Generally the best possible setup is higher than your height and angled down - allowing the lowest possible occlusion and the largest possible play area between the distance of the lighthouses.

Go lower than your height and you have slight increased chance of occlusion due to your body. I've set a DK1 up at 5ft and it still works perfectly despite every attempt to make the tracking fail. If you don't have a downward angle, the housing of the lighthouses is preventing downward line of sight, so the possible play area between the lighthouses is reduced in size. This is height contingent (the higher, the smaller the play area).

Low or even on the floor works if angled upward, but you have significantly increased chance of occlusion by your body getting in the way or entirely blocking a lighthouse if you go close enough. So the only way to play is with a significantly reduced play area.

That's a very confusing summary about who's stating what and who contradicts it and what's actually the correct version.

There are some comments in there that aren't questions that the leaker is reacting to. I was getting confused a bit as well but as long as you remember that everything in bold is not the leak you should be fine.

UnrealEck

Does anyone know when UK/Europe orders for the Vive are backed up to? Meaning if I pre-order one now, when will it ship?
Says May on their site but it doesn't say 'new' orders. I'm guessing if it is May it'll be near the end.

Is there any known way to get a Vive now in April?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There are some comments in there that aren't questions that the leaker is reacting to. I was getting confused a bit as well but as long as you remember that everything in bold is not the leak you should be fine.

Yeah, I understand that. But what's in bold contradicts the leak on some points. Which makes it a bit awkward. Should I trust jimmy_riddler more? Why?

Edit: ah, the leaker is asked about some comments of another user. Now I understand. But I keep my statement, that's not such a readable summary,

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

I used my DK2 in RiftMax Theater quite a bit (virtual theater). It worked well for both 2D and 3D content. Obviously, resolution was an issue and depending on the person will still be an issue with the CV1 and Vive.

However, the ability to have your own personal theater - choosing any seat in the house is a very cool thing. With RiftMax you were also able to stream some content so you could watch some videos/movies with your friends in the same theater.

I think the Rift is supposed to come with another set of face "rubber interface", to adapt to different shapes of faces, including one with more space for people with glasses.
Yeah, this is from shortly after the consumer CV1 reveal:

One of the things that Oculus has obviously spent a lot of time on is refining the Rift’s form factor, trying to make it as comfortable experience as possible, because without it being comfortable nobody is going to wear it. “We did a lot of ergonomics research,” says Palmer Luckey, Oculus’ co-founder, “How to make the best device, how to fit everybody’s face. Turns out we’re all too different to just use one facial interface.”

Which is why when the Rift ships in Q1 2016, “it will ship with multiple facial interfaces.” These interfaces will take the form of differently shaped faceplates on the interior of the device. These will allow for people with different facial structures and features to more easily and comfortably fit in the Rift. It will also allow for anyone with glasses to use the device as well.

Yeah, I understand that. But what's in bold contradicts the leak on some points. Which makes it a bit awkward. Should I trust jimmy_riddler more? Why?

jimmy_riddler isn't the leak, ZeroInfomration is. Jimmy just did the summary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4b3j70/ready_for_some_bean_spillage_i_work_closely_with/

ZeroInformation was verified by a mod as far as I can tell that's why people are treating the information as potentially legit. Everything in bold is questions from other Reddit users or comments from people who are not verified.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
jimmy_riddler isn't the leak, ZeroInfomration is. Jimmy just did the summary.

I understood this part on the first read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4b3j70/ready_for_some_bean_spillage_i_work_closely_with/

ZeroInformation was verified by a mod as far as I can tell that's why people are treating the information as potentially legit. Everything in bold is questions from other Reddit users or comments from people who are not verified.

It just seamed that jimmy_riddler was the one making the comments in bold that were in contradiction with the leak. I thought the misinformation addressed was in the leak, that's why it was confusing.

Now it's clear.

Just checked on my vive order.....I had a 9min past conformation email.
I understood that HTC would take the money immediately, when we placed the order. Nothing has registered on my account as being taken out. Are others having the same thing?
Worried my order never registered properly in the first day rush....

Just checked on my vive order.....I had a 9min past conformation email.
I understood that HTC would take the money immediately, when we placed the order. Nothing has registered on my account as being taken out. Are others having the same thing?
Worried my order never registered properly in the first day rush....

They only charge you when they ship, not before.

oh - do you have contact details for the UK then? Although my order confirmation was 15:04 so I should be ok by the sound of it.

Yeah you'll be fine, it was way harder than it should have been to find this out in the UK, really gave me the runabout.

I was 6 minutes in, but not for UK. But I assume that the first batch is the same for whole Europe, being sent all from Ireland.

Yeah, Ireland, you'll be all good for launch.

I think it'd be a good idea. I like the office idea as it'd be a bit more accommodating than an old warehouse. And if the market isn't huge, you could probably graze between locations to get good deals on empty space.

While I think I'm getting the vive, I'd definitely consider going to a location where they have lots of space - so I can walk around a full 15/15ft area and have no solid walls nearby so even if I'm waving my arms about like a crazy person I'm not going to hit anything

Im paying to heat the area as it is just now and its included in my rent. I don't expect it to make a fortune but i can certainly see it being a marginally profitable use of the space as opposed to the money sink it is just now.

Top Bottom