• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the "I'm excited about ACE COMBAT 6: Fires of Liberation" thread

camineet

Banned
1174672679.jpg

for me, Ace Combat 6 is by far my most anticipated game of 2007.

if you followed the development of Ace Combat 5 in 2002-2003, you might remember it was originally supposed to (or at least rumored to) have online gameplay. but by early 2004 when AC5 was revealed, online play was scrapped.

so finally with the current generation of consoles, Ace Combat can have a complete package of online gameplay options.

Ace Combat 6 as already announced will have a number of online modes

*deathmatch,
*team deathmatch
*co-operative

the new systems of play for offline also have me stoked
-dynamic mission system - seems to be a branching/reactive system that changes the situation based on what you do, what battles within a level you take part in
- allied support system - you get enough kills to build up a meter, once full you can call on
friendly air-land-sea forces to decimate enemy forces in a location you choose. sounds awesome.

any idea when we might get videos of Ace Combat 6? I've been checking acecombat.jp every day. on this page http://www.acecombat.jp/ace6/story.html there are 4 greyed-out links. I'm guessing one of those is for videos.

as for the $150 flightstick + AC6, that's what I'm going for. I got the $130 Flightstick +AC5, it was worth it to play AC4, AC5, ACZ with that stick, so I'll do the same for AC6. it just isnt the same playing with a pad.

release date is still set for Nov/U.S. Dec/Japan, no release date for UK/Europe.

for me AC6 will be THE game for Xbox 360 this year, far more excited about this one than Halo 3 based on how much more time I spent playing AC4, AC5, ACZ compared to Halo1,2.

1174672238.jpg

1228_0012.jpg

oh man, the wait is gonna be sooooo bad :D

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
*raises his hand... halfway*

I wanna believe. It looks ok, sounds great so far, but given AC's last few iterations, and the hot potato-ing of the franchise in general, I have to be hesitant.

And this comes from a guy who imported the AC4 stick, and bought the US AC5 with the stick. *points*

I hope they tweak the flight mechanics a bit for multiplayer or else it's just gonna be people flying around in circles at 200 knots.

Llyranor

I've never played an Ace Combat game (no PS2), but I've heard some of the music, which was very very nice. I'm definitely interested in this. If you could actually go through the story in coop, this would be a day1 purchase, but coop will likely 'just' be an online 'play with your friends against AI' mode. It has the potential to go from bargain bin to day1 purchase from me, depending on how it develops. As for the joystick, I'd definitely be interested, but it really depends on how many other 360 titles would actually make use of it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm excited but I'm not sure if I will buy it when it comes out. I got other games I want before getting this game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm excited, in a restrained fashion. I loved AC4 back in the days, but AC5 didn't capture my attention like the 4th game did, and I haven't even tried the following games.

If this game manages to capture what made AC4 great in my book, I will be in omg awesome excite total mode. Kinda.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Super excited. The online co-op excites me far more than deathmatch, add in the stick and yea, hotly anticipated for me.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I own every game in the series (import version of Electrosphere thank goodness for mod chips), back to when it was simply Air Combat on the PSOne. Such humble beginnings....

Anyway I'm always up for a new Ace Combat, but I couldn't care less about the online stuff...

zoku88

DarienA said:
I would be surprised if it didn't at some point... but why wait?
I think it's already been announced for PS3. I think it's coming out 6 months later? I don't remember...

Narag

God, I can't wait.I hope Ace A.I. is up to par. I want to be feel like its life or death rather than turnturnturnmisslewin. :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Narag said:
God, I can't wait.I hope Ace A.I. is up to par. I want to be feel like its life or death rather than turnturnturnmisslewin. :)

Turn the difficulty up on the PS2 versions.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the last round of scans looked pretty awesome -- i wanna see better pics of that canyon stage. namco may yet find their way into the current generation.

Narag

DarienA said:
Turn the difficulty up on the PS2 versions.

I have. These games should only be played on Ace mode. Even with Zero's improved AI it felt like most of the danger was the numbers and not so much the individual enemy.

dejay

Banned
Excitement level: 5

The shots look nice and a consistent frame rate will probably seal the deal for me. I've been wanting a decent combat sim for the 360 since some other underwhelming products failed to please me.

Everything looks like it's shaping up nicely. Online co-op and deathmatch, flight stick, great looking graphics and the allied support system. I'm really anticipating this one. Hopefully we'll get more info soon.

Crypto

Banned
Xboxyde has some scans that seem to show actual gameplay, and it looks great, better than the worst screenshots we've seen and seemingly on par with the best.

I'm REALLY hyped for this one, personally. I already put some of the original AC songs on my 360 along with "Danger Zone"...

camineet

Banned
Crypto said:
Xboxyde has some scans that seem to show actual gameplay, and it looks great, better than the worst screenshots we've seen and seemingly on par with the best.

really, I'll have to check those out then.

I'm really excited, if a ps3 version doesn't get announced by the end of the year I might end up buying a x360 for this game (and a couple of other ones)

camineet

Banned
it's gonna be so much damn fun fighting together with and competing with GAFFERs. I wonder how non-A.I., human issued orders can be handled over LIVE. that's one thing I'm really looking forward to.

Quagm1r3

I'm not much into single player games. That being said, I played the hell out of the Ace Combat 4 for quite some time. So I'm especially excited for Ace Combat 6's multiplayer.

Cipher

I'm excited about it. The dynamic missions sound interesting and the multiplayer should be a blast. I wonder if there will be online squads/clans for this.

Safe Bet

Banned
Ace Combat: 2 Years Too Late

This would have excited me last-gen but now....

I need more than a few "completely generic multiplayer modes" to get my blood pumping enough to consider a first day purchase....

Plus, I have doubts the game's online modes will deliver the "quality of service" (no lag, no game expolits, extensive community support, etc..) I demand...

The co-op sounds really cool though...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gonna wait for the PS3 version, but Ace Combat Zero really sucked compared to Unsung War. Too short, stupid "live" cinematics with bad acting, and only one teammate at a time for the most part. BORING!

Looking forward to multiplayer, especially if we can make our own teams with custom-made logos.

Jirotrom

Mobius 1!! I'm friggin excited one of my most anticipated games all year. We need to start a team gaf for this game.

camineet

Banned
been a fan of the series since 1993, since before the PS1 came out, spending every quarter on arcade Air Combat.

It'd be really sweet if Namco did "arcade history" thing again as they did with PS2 Tekken 5, by including arcade Air Combat and Air Combat 22 (I dont mean Ace Combat 2).

camineet

Banned
new IGN interview! choice quotes

IGN: Tell us about the concept of the Living Battlefield.

Natsuki Isaki: In the living battlefield, the player can experience the massive scale of group combat where multiple armies from both sides, intensely battle through missiles, gunfire and explosions. This creates an action-packed and interactive style of entertainment, unlike battles in movies, which are scripted and not interactive. Fully utilizing next-gen technology, you can control a plane that is capable of flying at any direction or altitude at mach speed, and you determine the outcome of the mission since you are the ace pilot.

Technically speaking, there are two big features. One is high-tech control of mass NPCs, and the other is the reinforcement of visual effects that are not static. Please let me explain each of them.

In the NPC control, not only are there many NPC's but also each NPC has a unique feature. For example, some enemies are 'good for enemies in the air,' 'good for enemies on the ground,' 'good for occupying the opponent's base,' and 'despite the lack of strength, good for high-tech information warfare,' and they capture components of real modern combats.

They act systematically, set up units, and try to accomplish a number of different missions. For example, some battle crafts try to get command of the air, some tanks try to break through the enemy's defense line, some helicopter units try to conquer the enemy's facility, etc… Those missions simultaneously occur in real time. Imagine the real battlefield. The success or failure of a mission changes the complexion of war, as if it was a living creature. For instance, even if a tank unit breaks through the enemy line, if you fail to take control of the airspace, a player still might be at a disadvantage. But once you conquer the airport as a main base, you can take advantage of the air battle no matter how strong the enemy is. The importance and influence of each mission in Ace Combat 6 changes the outcomes of individual missions and delivers the massive real battlefield dynamism. Your skills as an Ace pilot determines the outcome of the game and how well you do. So even if you clear the game the first time round, it is well worth playing it multiple times through because of the complexity of each mission. I'm worried that in the future when Ace Combat 7 comes out, users will say, "I'm still enjoying 6 so I can't buy 7 yet!

Also each NPC has its own character with its own name. You can feel the satisfaction of a successful operation or the desperateness of defeat, which will give you the realistic feeling of fighting as a unit. The player also has the option of talking directly to a NPC. If you have helped them in a previous mission, they would give support to return the favor. I consider games as something that gives you an interactive experience, games should not be solely based on if you win or not. I want you to create your own active heroic story that books or movies can't allow you to do in the same way.

Let me also take this opportunity to talk about non-static visual effects.

Thanks to the capabilities of the next gen system, the glossy terrains in Ace Combat have been dramatically improved. And not only that, we put a lot of effort into the non-static visual expressions such as flying missiles, machine guns, explosions, smoke, airplane tracks, etc., which alter according to the action of the player or NPC. Every visual in Ace Combat 6 has been dramatically improved from photo-realistic views of allies and enemies exchanging shots, views of friend's bases being attacked and being engulfed by smoke and flames, the weltered airplane tracks caused by dogfights and missile fire from the friends' units gathered in response to your call, etc., etc... These non-static visual affects all come together to give life to the battlefield while allowing players to feel the fierce and powerful realism of war when playing the game.

We have overcome a problem that couldn't be avoided in all previous flight action games. All flight action games typically lack physical objects compared to the feel of the speed of the aircraft. For instance, racing games could actually give you a better sense of speed at 200km/h rather than a plane flying at 2000km/h because there are oncoming cars and billboards coming from a short distance. But now, the high-quality graphics of smoke, airplane tracks, and explosions in a very dense state, have achieved the feel of mach speed.(In addition, the same technique enabled to show the cumulonimbus that had been unable to be portrayed, which increases the exhilaration of flight.

IGN: Walk us through an example of a Living Battlefield. What are some of the objectives and the risk/reward involved choosing one objective over another?

Natsuki Isaki: Let's say there are allies surrounded by a group of enemies. They consist of three groups and each has its own operation. Let me give you three examples. Group 1 is a friend's fighter unit and tries to protect a power plant against the enemy's air assaults. Group 2 is a garrison and tries to protect the home airport against the surging enemy's helicopters. Group 3 is a tank unit surrounded by the enemy ground forces after having attempted to stop a siege. The mission is to "rescue the friendly unit and beat the enemy." In order to complete the mission, the player must participate in some of these operations. If you succeed in the operation 1, electricity would continue providing the friends' radars with power, so the friends surrounded by enemies can have the advantage of utilizing the radars. On the other hand, if you fail, the radars have no electricity and the player will be at a distinct disadvantage. If you complete operation 2 and secure the safety of the runway, all the friends' fighters can start taking off and attacking the enemies from the air. Also, during the battle, players can always land at the airport to refill their weapons and recover from any damages.

When you clear operation 3, the tank units will help by fighting with a fierce bombardment of ammo against the enemies and they can destroy multiple enemies with one attack. But if you fail, the enemies would attack your fighter and friends' organized position. Once you finish an operation, you proceed to the next mission. Whether you succeed or fail in the first operation, will have influence over the situation in the next operation.

IGN: We also know you can now command other land, sea and air units. What are some of the vehicles that you will have at your disposal?

Natsuki Isaki: In the air, there are fighter planes similar to the one you operate. They can fly fast enough to respond to a call in a matter of minutes. There are fighters which are good at air battles, attack aircrafts which are superior in ground attacks, and also multi-purpose fighters which can do both. Helicopters are good for attacking enemies on the ground even if they fly slowly because their accurate attacks at point-blank range can be executed repeatedly. Large bombers whose size exceeds 50 meters can be there, too. They are useless against the aerial enemies, but they are powerful enough so that they can wipe out a large number of land targets by dropping multiple bombs. This is something that you don't want to miss. Electronic Support Measure (ESM) is also a unique plane. They are slow and they are not loaded with any missiles or machine guns to attack the enemy, but they are equipped with an advanced technology called Electronic Support Measure (ESM). ESM gives the player the ability to analyze the adjacent enemy data and send the info to the allies' tactical computers. By flying close to the ESM, the player can obtain an access to more accurate detail on the enemy forces, gaining a crucial advantage in battle.

On land, there is a variation of tanks, anti-aircraft artillery, anti-air missiles, and long-range artilleries. They will create a formation to destroy their opponents. Since they don't fly or go across rivers, they are not effective against the fast-moving opponents. However, they can be very effective in taking control of the enemy hubs.

On sea, there are destroyers and cruisers as hubs of the ocean. They are loaded with powerful artillery guns, antiaircraft machine guns and anti-air missiles which are superior in both destructibility and firing range and are equipped in the destroyers. Also, as a control tower on the sea, they also have EMS. However, they can only battle on water.

IGN: What type of commands can you issue? Is there a way to control any of the units yourself?

Natsuki Isaki: Through a game system called "Allied Support," you can request support from your allies far beyond your wing men. The system has two types of support, one is the aggressive "Allied Attack" and the other is the defensive "Allied Cover." You can use this feature by using the d-pad so that you can instantly use the function even in the middle of an intense battle.

Aim the nose of the plane to the enemy group that you want to attack and use the "Allied Attack." Allies launch fierce salvo against all enemies on screen. You can use the "Allied Attack" against an enemy group or you can use it against the enemy ace pilot. The friendly AI's of land, sea and air will wisely select their targets by applying their unique abilities; therefore, unorthodox strategies such as large bombers launching dogfights to the enemy fighters won't happen.

Prepare for a ship to shore transmission... of bullets!
By using "Allied Cover," friends will attack all enemies shooting at the player, whether they are on-screen or not. This support is effective when you get attacked by multiple enemies and it is difficult to escape. This is not a typical move by an ace pilot, but an ace pilot must be able to pick and choose their battles.

In using both types of "Allied Support," the units responding to your call are the ones involved in the operation(s) where you have succeeded. By being rescued by friendly aircraft saying, "Roger! I'm coming" as if it were in return for you helping them in a previous mission, gives the player the feeling of being the main character in the battlefield. Also the powerful spectacle proceeded by salvos with various weapons such as missiles, machine guns, artillery guns, and so forth can be a memorable feature in the game.

Also, the players don't board the tanks or vessels, or operate them. Unlike RTS, you don't give detailed instructions such as, "Go that way and come this way." In this game, being a hero as an ace pilot in the battlefield is important; therefore we didn't want you to also be a tank operator, captain, or general… We have concluded that unless you play a steady character, you may become confused of who you are and even though you could get a simple sense of accomplishment of clearing stages, you would never be able to get the emotional sense of achievement of being a hero. Providing an opportunity of becoming a hero who not only feels the joy of beating his/her foes, but also feels the pleasure of helping friends in need is one of the key benefits of "Allied Support."

IGN: Are the allied units' static or can you bring them with you throughout the living battlefield, if the geography allows it?

Natsuki Isaki: Most of the time, ally aircraft are able to follow the player without any geographical restrictions, although there still is an issue of how fast they can reach you. For instance, it might take large bomber(s) a while to arrive when "Allied Support" is requested, though once they arrive, they show their immeasurable strength.

Land units and fleet can't help facing geographical restrictions. Even so, they can come where you are likely to call for "Allied Support." Nevertheless, fleet is reliable and will support you even with limited mobility because they have a long firing range.

IGN: Ace Combat has always been such a flying focused game. Do you think the addition of land and sea units detracts from the flying or compliments it?

Natsuki Isaki: As mentioned above, the player is the ace pilot. The fact that the game is focused on flying hasn't changed; therefore the presence of land and sea units doesn't hurt the quality of the game as a flight action game. In fact, having the point of view from the jet gives players the sense of the massive scale of the living battlefield, with land, sea, and air units below you and all around you. I believe that being a pilot in such a realistic battlefield is a very appealing concept.

entire interview: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/789/789651p1.html

It is definitely on my radar. Played AC4 thoroughly, though AC5 left me a little dry. But as with most games though, I won't help build free hype for any of these gaming companies. Just registering my interest.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
We have overcome a problem that couldn't be avoided in all previous flight action games. All flight action games typically lack physical objects compared to the feel of the speed of the aircraft. For instance, racing games could actually give you a better sense of speed at 200km/h rather than a plane flying at 2000km/h because there are oncoming cars and billboards coming from a short distance. But now, the high-quality graphics of smoke, airplane tracks, and explosions in a very dense state, have achieved the feel of mach speed.(In addition, the same technique enabled to show the cumulonimbus that had been unable to be portrayed, which increases the exhilaration of flight.Also, we have included it is in with the Shank.

IT IS WITH THE SHANK??? :0

Top Bottom